Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2019, 10:32   #946
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs

Had a chance to test drive the Venue SX+ (1.0 DCT petrol). I need to come clean first, I started hating on the car as soon as it was launched, the looks did not do anything for me and with Hyundai skimping on the SX(O) for DCT drove home the dislike even further.
Started seeing a few on the roads immediately post the launch, the 'hate' did soften as I quite like the stance of the car but not to an extent to test drive it. Shreem Hyundai did pursue me to take a TD, and I finally relented.

The drive was a revelation, the engine + DCT combo are matched perfectly in sync. I have never driven a car that is so easy to drive. Yes, there is a bit of lag but flex the right foot enough and the car moves forward smartly. The mid-range is nice too. I am not sure if the DCT is as fast as VW's DSG but the gearshifts are imperceptible. So much so that I began to like the car. Drove a good 10-12 kms on my usual TD route and the mileage shown on the MID was 12.4 KMPL, pretty good, me thinks. I now understand why this car is such a hit. Well done Hyundai, but there is a definite room for improvement.

The rear bench is a let down, there is a serious dearth of leg room. My knees did not brush against the back of the drivers seat but my ankle did which I did not like. The boot is good for the segment but then there is no 60:40 split, this is plain dumb in my opinion. Not done Hyundai. And skimping on rear wash wipe is just plain dangerous. I wonder who makes these decisions.

I told the SA, that if this car is launched in SX(O) I might really consider bringing this car home. For someone spending INR 13.3L OTR on the car, I am pretty sure they can stretch 50-70K more for true top end.

Good luck to the all the owners of this car, wish you miles of good drives and good times.
hiren.mistry is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th July 2019, 10:43   #947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeetdholakia92 View Post
I own the manual 1.0 GDI SX(O) and I can confirm that I have no such issues. I would like to think it's the Hill climb assistance that is confusing your friend?
Thanks so much. I understand that SX, which my friend drives, does not have hill assist control. Hence, he would not be able to take benefit of this but thanks so much for your prompt advice. Appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisrujan View Post
I felt this way when upgrading from an i10 to Ford Ecosport Ecoboost. I have not driven the Venue MT so I have no clue how bad the turbo-lag is, but I have routinely taken the DCT up ramps and the engine doesn't have a problem tackling the ramps. You just have to figure out which gear works best, and re-learn how to use the clutch and accelerator to overcome turbo-lag.
This is very helpful in understanding the issue and how to tackle it. I almost got a scare yesterday but let me ask my friend to follow your advice and see if he is able to do it properly now

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
Source : NDTV
This is such a relief. Thanks so much for sharing this media link.
Old 29th July 2019, 10:48   #948
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
I told the SA, that if this car is launched in SX(O) I might really consider bringing this car home. For someone spending INR 13.3L OTR on the car, I am pretty sure they can stretch 50-70K more for true top end.
Agree with your Review. Venue has created a new segment in the Sub 4 Metre cars - the Sub 4 seater Sub 4 Metre Compact SUV ! Hyundai needs to understand the Venue is quite overpriced for its size. 13.50 lacs for a Top end DCT and that too a strictly 4 seater car is quite steep.

Also they need to bridge the gap between the S DCT and the SX+ DCT . there is atleast 3 lacs gap and they can easily fit one more variant in this gap after seeing good demand for the 1.0 DCT.
karanraheja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2019, 10:49   #949
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to Gautam Jain for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Quote:
I was going through FB group when I came across a post of rain water coming inside the cabin.
It appears there is a leak from the windscreen glass area.

Video (reuploaded to youtube from Twitter. Original uploader - Rohit Tiwari):
blackwasp is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th July 2019, 11:36   #950
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
The drive was a revelation, the engine + DCT combo are matched perfectly in sync. I have never driven a car that is so easy to drive. Yes, there is a bit of lag but flex the right foot enough and the car moves forward smartly. The mid-range is nice too. I am not sure if the DCT is as fast as VW's DSG but the gearshifts are imperceptible.
I also took out time this Saturday and drove 1.0 DCT. And I fully agree with your observations. With regard to lag, I found it to be quite ok as I am not into drag races at the red-lights.

This was my first experience with dual clutch system (DCT/ DSG). Coming from years of MT experience, I immediately loved it; the instant gear changes, minimal torque drop. Way way better than the jerky AMT in Brezza and Nexon. Yes, I understand that both are different technologies (Apple and oranges), but as a customer I loved the smoothness of DCT.

Also, I loved the tuning for gearshifts. While driving light footed, the upshifts took place between 2200~2400 rpm; but once I drove with heavy foot, it held onto gears till past 4000 rpm. Well done.

Quote:
The rear bench is a let down, there is a serious dearth of leg room. My knees did not brush against the back of the drivers seat but my ankle did which I did not like. The boot is good for the segment but then there is no 60:40 split, this is plain dumb in my opinion. Not done Hyundai. And skimping on rear wash wipe is just plain dangerous. I wonder who makes these decisions.
Again fully agreed, rear seat seems more cramped than even Baleno which is marketed as hatchback, while Venue is C-SUV.

In comparison, Brezza is much better packaged for interior space (including headroom). I fail to understand how Hyundai messed up this aspect even though Brezza was in market since 2016. Infact, I started having positive vibes about Ecosport.

As far as Rear Wash & Wipe is concerned, this is the most neglected safety feature in Indian market. In my opinion, government should make this mandatory in every vehicle.
AutoNoob is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th July 2019, 11:42   #951
BHPian

This car seems to have clicked with the buyers in Kerala, or atleast in my district. Only today, I saw 4 temp reg Venues on the road, and all of them were higher trims, because it had the cool looking alloys. Yesterday, I saw 3 venues and they did not have the DRLs, so maybe lower-mid variants. So that's 7 venues in 48 hours, I think Hyundai has a winner on their hands.
SaiSW is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2019, 21:41   #952
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow, quite a few seasoned drivers are calling this car a revelation, quick to respond, imperceptible shifts, smooth acceleration etc.

Quite the opposite of what I felt, it had that grunting sensation before every shift and I felt each shift without a doubt (yes I tune myself to the pedal that closely) and it seemed a bit lazy in speeds up to 40/50, I didn't cross that, in Bangalore we can never cross that. Compared to that the 6 speed torque converter in the Elantra felt at home, responsive and super-fast.. could be that I've driven it for way longer and hence felt that way but there was no mistaking that it felt at least 3x faster to respond to pedal inputs.

I still call DSGs as overrated, never liked the Polo TSi to drive, nor the diesel Audi Q3, nor the Venue, all with 7 speed dual clutches. Reminds me of a time when a guy (quite an irritating character) suddenly cut me off to the right on a highway road in his GT TSi with his arm resting on the window, I could see that he was boiling that engine while all I was doing was cruise and when I finally got a chance to turn left, quite slowly and gradually, I gunned the pedal on the middle lane and his car was a distant memory with him watching all the way. I broke the national speed restriction after years, I promise not to do it again.
dark.knight is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th July 2019, 15:35   #953
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
Agree with your Review. Venue has created a new segment in the Sub 4 Metre cars - the Sub 4 seater Sub 4 Metre Compact SUV ! Hyundai needs to understand the Venue is quite overpriced for its size. 13.50 lacs for a Top end DCT and that too a strictly 4 seater car is quite steep.
I think Hyundai understands the pricing of the Venue quite well, and Indians have overwhelmingly agreed with their pricing especially in the present car market. A few months ago the thought of a car giving the Brezza a run for its money would have been blasphemous.
Old 30th July 2019, 15:49   #954
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
This car seems to have clicked with the buyers in Kerala, or atleast in my district. Only today, I saw 4 temp reg Venues on the road, and all of them were higher trims, because it had the cool looking alloys. Yesterday, I saw 3 venues and they did not have the DRLs, so maybe lower-mid variants. So that's 7 venues in 48 hours, I think Hyundai has a winner on their hands.

For sure it looks like a winner - 50000 bookings in less than 60 days!!!
and 18000 deliveries so far as per the article in the link below.

https://www.thehindubusinessline.com...le28756915.ece
ask_017 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2019, 16:10   #955
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask_017 View Post
For sure it looks like a winner - 50000 bookings in less than 60 days!!!
and 18000 deliveries so far as per the article in the link below.

https://www.thehindubusinessline.com...le28756915.ece
Can we call this a Venue wave? We have already seen some cancellation of cancellations and several skeptics changing their opinion after they tasted the sweet engine-gearbox combo.

Even if I assume 10% cancellations, we will have at least 15000 DCT units burning the Indian roads! I really hope this DCT unit is reliable enough. Hope Hyundai has done enough testing in our road conditions. I can't imagine what might happen if these units can't survive on our roads, after selling in such huge numbers.

Last edited by saisrujan : 30th July 2019 at 16:13.
saisrujan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 11:55   #956
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Venue bags 50,000 bookings in 2 months

Hyundai claims to have received 50,000 bookings for the Venue compact SUV in just 60 days since its launch. It has also claimed that out of the 50,000 bookings, over 35% of customers have opted for the DCT (dual clutch transmission) version.

Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs-hyundai-venue-fastest-50000-bookings..png

The Hyundai Venue was launched in May 2019 at prices starting at Rs. 6.50 lakh (ex-showroom, India). It is the brand's first sub-4 metre SUV and competes with the Tata Nexon, Maruti Vitara Brezza and the Ford EcoSport.

The Venue is available with three engine options. The first of these is a 998cc turbocharged petrol engine, which makes 118 BHP @ 6,000 rpm and 172 Nm of torque @ 2,500-4,000 rpm. It is offered with either a 6-speed manual or 7-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission. The second engine is a 1.2-litre petrol power plant that produces 82 BHP @ 6,000 rpm and 115 Nm @ 4,000 rpm, which comes with a 5-speed manual gearbox. The third engine on offer is a 1.4-litre diesel unit that puts out 89 BHP @ 4,000 rpm and 220 Nm of torque @ 1,500-2,750 rpm and is mated to a 6-speed manual gearbox.

Our June 2019 Indian Car Sales thread reveals that the Venue slots in second place in the C2 segment just behind the Maruti Suzuki Brezza. Hyundai claims to hold an SUV market share of 21% with the combined sales of the Venue, Creta and Tuscon.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 12:13   #957
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Venue bags 50,000 bookings in 2 months

That's quite some volume and confirms faith of Indian customers in Hyundai. Buyers certainly believe that Hyundai in India delivers a niggle free product unlike Mahindra & Tatas.

More so, Venue being just lunched is perceived as VFM product compared to Creta with better Bells & Whistles . Turbo petrol with DCT is a great combination which no other players is offering in this segment. Ford had this opportunity to park Ecoboost with an autobox against Hyundai, but it seems that they are occupied in addressing issues with M & M partnership instead of keeping a watchful eye on the competition.

I hope Hyundai does not make the buyers wait for too long. Several bookings might have been done keeping the festive / Navratra delivery expectations.

Good luck Hyundai !

Last edited by i74js : 31st July 2019 at 12:14.
i74js is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 12:31   #958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Hyundai claims to have received 50,000 bookings for the Venue compact SUV in just 60 days since its launch. It has also claimed that out of the 50,000 bookings, over 35% of customers have opted for the DCT (dual clutch transmission) version.
Impressive! Hyundai seems to be taking the mass market game to another level altogether. After a resounding success with the Creta, they seem to have another winner in Hand. Hits and misses with bells and whistles notwithstanding, Hyundai seems to have found a sweet spot in a crowding segment.

What clearly ticks the box for the Venue, in particular, is the turbo petrol with a more advanced and sought after gearbox option than market leader Brezza.
Old 31st July 2019, 12:33   #959
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
Turbo petrol with DCT is a great combination which no other players is offering in this segment. Ford had this opportunity to park Ecoboost with an autobox
EcoSport's 1.5 NA petrol + a proper TC automatic is much better than Venue's punny 1.0 turbo + DCT.
The low end torque of the Hyundai's 1.0 is poor which is even more pronounced with an AT gearbox. The DCT is not as good as the VW's DSG in every term. EcoSport AT is still the best in this segment. Downsizing with a turbo doesn't go well with ATs basically.
itsashishsharma is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 12:41   #960
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
EcoSport's 1.5 NA petrol + a proper TC automatic is much better than Venue's punny 1.0 turbo + DCT.
The low end torque of the Hyundai's 1.0 is poor which is even more pronounced with an AT gearbox. The DCT is not as good as the VW's DSG in every term. EcoSport AT is still the best in this segment. Downsizing with a turbo doesn't go well with ATs basically.
And it lacks:
-cruise control
-Sync3
-TPMS
-Sunroof (OK this can be a minor thing)
It is more expensive and the showrooms aren't as capable as Hyundai. I have been trying to get a Ecosport AT for a TD and 3 weeks later, I'm yet to get one on weekends! Also, Ecosport costs more than a Venue! Add to it, the confusion regarding M&M and Ford's partnership and the dwindling sales, I'm not sure the Ecosport will continue for another couple of years!

Venue, backed by Hyundai's guarantee and confirmed presence in India, is a much more assured buy, right now!
ValarMorghulis is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks