Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2010, 15:13   #61
BHPian

I have purchased a KA03 registred two wheeler from my friend. it was used in hyderabad by paying road tax . Now i am in north bangalore. I wanted to transfer the ownership the same vehicle to me . Also the vehicle had a valied insurance till october 20 2010. l am requesting all the experienced Team-BHPians to kindly advice me.
Old 4th October 2010, 23:32   #62
BHPian

Just transfer ownership, check no outstanding loans are there and buy new insurance. I actually dont understand the question, sorry.
Old 4th October 2010, 23:35   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Well, I think it's between 12-13 % in Kerala. In your case, you need to pay for the 10 years since your car is 5 years old.
I just finished paying road tax in kannur and got the receipt. I Paid 3500 rs for 2 years. Valid till 2012.

The TN RTO has no provision to pay roadtax for 2 years - so in TN I would have to pay 35k for a 5 yr old car (pay the whole road tax again). Kerala RTO was as a saver.

Last edited by milestogo : 4th October 2010 at 23:41. Reason: Adding valid till date
Old 6th October 2010, 11:56   #64
BHPian

Well, Is there a provision to just pay the tax for the number of years you stay in other states without re register the vehicle OR say Can a vehicle be registered temporarily for an year or two in a new state while keeping the original registration intact ?

If NO, can anyone give me logical reason why we cant have such a Rule.
Old 6th October 2010, 15:59   #65
BHPian

Can someone help me find answers for these questions-

1. What is the entry tax % for Tamilnadu?
2. Is entry tax applicable if I buy a new car in Karnataka and with temporary registration take it to Tamilnadu for permanent registration?
(I called up a Tamilnadu RTO and they were not aware of entry tax and asked me to check with commercial taxes department.)
Old 3rd December 2011, 14:02   #66
BHPian

re: Cost for transfer of registration from one State/Place to another

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
What are the approx costs associated with transferring a MH registered vehicle (Mumbai) to KA (Bangalore) ?
The vehicle is a Hyundai Getz and is under a year old.

Thanks.

PS : Mods, not sure if I posted in the right section, please re-direct if necessary.

Having gone through the process would like to share my experience so that it benefits those looking for answers on the same subject.

The notes bellow refer to other state vehicles (cars, non-commercial, private use) coming to Karnataka and greater than 2 years old in age.

Section 1: Documents Required

1. Driving License
2. RC Book
3. Emission Certificate
4. Insurance Copy
5. Sale and Tax invoice for the vehicle
6. Demand Slip issued by RTO inspector if you were intercepted during random RTO inspection and issued the demand note.

#5 above is essential or I've seen people being sent back to prove the cost of their vehicle in case the officer at RTO does not have exact record of that vehicle's price of if you contest the price he/she quotes.

Section 2: Documents required to prove you are in state for less than 11 months

1. Toll Receipts on the NH from the state of vehicle's registration and to the state you are in (and with the RTO) - this is a MUST.
2. Address on insurance copy at the time of issuing it.
3. Place of issue of emission certificate.
Note: I saw several people arguing without the above documents and the officer showed some of the papers of earlier such people from various software companies against whom they initiated an investigation and found from their companies (parking records, company parking sticker issue slips) exact date they were here and penalties were imposed accordingly besides the tax to be paid.

Arguments there can be futile and it's best to avoid unless you have very strong documentation to prove about your latest arrival in the state.

If you are voluntarily applying for payment of taxes (without being intercepted by RTO while driving) then it might be easier.

At the same time if you have these documents there are very high chances that the officer at RTO will accept them and proceed accordingly (so good for you).

Section 3: I have paid LTT in the state of purchase of the vehicle. What role does that play in tax to be paid now?

None at all. What you've paid to another state is paid there.
Here taxes would be calculated as per the state tax rules. That LTT is not considered in the calculations. So it is possible that if you paid 10,000 as LTT many years back you now end up paying 30,000/-!!

Section 4: What is the cost of my vehicle used for calculating taxes?

1. The final cost you paid that is inclusive of all taxes on the vehicle (except the road tax you paid) that includes VAT is used for calculating the tax.

2. If there are any dealer's discount etc - surprisingly that may not be considered and actual price before discount would be considered.

Section 5: How much does it cost - Tax + fines etc?

I think this thread has already covered several examples based on cost of the vehicles. I will take a basic example of a vehicle costing up to Rs 5 lakhs and say it is 5 years old and in the.

You can interpolate the results from here - for a "rough" estimate only as I may have rounded of certain percentages.

Selling Price of car : 100,000/- (final cost excluding road tax)
KA State tax (for < 5 lacs) : 13% on cost of the vehicle
Age of vehicle : 5 years
Depreciation : 5% per annum
Date of arrival : 1 year back
Penalty : 1% approx per month
Cess : 10% of tax

Tax calculation

100,000/- x 13% = 13000
Post Depreciation = 13000 x (100 - 5% x 5yrs) = 9750
Penalty: 9750 x 12% = 1170
Cess (approx) = 9750 * 10% = 975
Total:
--------------
---------------

Verification of the amount at R.T.O

1. First the officer at RTO will assess the tax and ask you to make a DD if the amount is less than Rs 3000/-.
2. Once you give the DD, then an auditor at RTO will verify the figures. If that does not match with initial assessment you will have to pay the difference if higher or will be refunded additional amount if you got a DD of a higher amount.
3. File goes around 3 different people and in the end you should have a receipt, a copy of which (along with other docs like emmission, insurance, DL) you should keep for a hassle free driving within the state.

Section 6: End Notes

After going through this experience most of the people I saw (over 2 days) had these questions:

1. How do I get a refund if I move to another state?
2. What next - how to get new registration number?
3. How to get change of address done?
4. I have switched jobs across states and if RTO asks me to pay LTT and claim any balance later when I leave the state - then practically I end up paying LTT for each state with refund process being very difficult. Is there any orderly and easy way out?
5. Can there be a central database shared across RTOs in states across India where transfer of registration, refunds and calculation of taxes and records be automated for convenience to the citizens?
6. Can we file a PIL to automate and stream line the entire process? Is there even a case worthy of being considered for a PIL?

Even I had these in my mind and see enormous scope of improvement in the end to end process. Seen several discussions here talking about the same and look forward to receiving advice from experienced or creative team-bhp'ians on what we can do collectively to make the process easier across states.

DISCLAIMER: Numbers I provided above is an estimate only and views here are my personal opinions and do not represent RTO's :-).
Old 9th January 2012, 14:32   #67
BHPian

Frown!

Thanks for the details ^^. This is very much in line with what I'm looking for. Except that the vehicle that I'm planning to re-register is an MH registered HH Hunk in Kerala.

My brother just packed up his stuff from Pune and is en route to Kerala via train. The luggage compartment has his 2 year old bike which he plans to use in Kerala as and when he'll be there.

I understand he's going to have to face a lot issues with the random RTO checks on the NH and SH in Kerala. The MH-regn is definitely going to be a magnet.

The chap totally missed getting an NOC from the Pune RTO despite my repeated advice. All said and done the Railway packing office took a bribe of 200rs from him cos he did not have an NOC. Yet, they packed it up for him.

Appreciate any advice from your guys.
Old 6th June 2012, 10:01   #68
nisam76

Planning to buy a used bullet (Pune registered) in Bangalore. Owner told that tax paid in KA, but the number didn't change since it was a good one. Mentioned that there is an entry of KA RTO in the RC book. It's possible to transfer to KA RTO without changing the Pune number?
Called up one RTO Agent and he told that it's possible. Bit cautious here and don't want to end up in any trouble. I may face any problem in transferring to my name?

Appreciate your help.

thanks
nissam

Last edited by nisam76 : 6th June 2012 at 10:02.

Old 6th June 2012, 11:58   #69
BHPian

I just got my Alto registered to KA01 from MH12 and the whole transfer costed me 35k INR. The Road Tax payment is authenticated now and in the online RTO, my car is showing registered with KA but no new number has been assigned yet.

I want suggestions on following things:
- How much time does it take to get the new KA number? its been more than a month now that the formalities were over and I also have recently recieved my RC tagged to a plain paper stating that the car is registered with the bangalore adress change

- How to claim back the Maharastra tax amount? and What is the procedure?
Old 9th May 2013, 22:32   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by verditer View Post
Can someone help me find answers for these questions-

1. What is the entry tax % for Tamilnadu?
2. Is entry tax applicable if I buy a new car in Karnataka and with temporary registration take it to Tamilnadu for permanent registration?
(I called up a Tamilnadu RTO and they were not aware of entry tax and asked me to check with commercial taxes department.)
If someone or anyone has relevant answers to ALL these questions above, am all ears (or eyes).
Old 16th May 2013, 00:34   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astleviz View Post
Is it really that expensive to register a car in karnataka or maharrashtra? I registered my ikon in Rajasthan (invoice value 5,05,000) and I paid approximately 22-24,000 Rs. as Tax (don't remember the exact amount) which comes to 4-5% of the invoice value.
What special facilities do the government of Karnataka or maharashtra provide to car owners to justify this excess amount (which I believe is 10-12%)? On second thoughts, maybe ir costs a lot to manufacture all those pot holes and congested roads which unfortunately the Rajasthanis have to do without
Hey Buddy, last month i registered a Bikaner number car( bought from a relative) in Bikaner. And i was charged around 15K which involved depositing the old registration documents and getting new documents in my name.
I was initially told by my some of my friends that transfer of ownership in same state just costs a couple of thousands, but i ended up paying 15k.
Old 6th November 2013, 18:20   #72
BHPian

I am transferring from Mumbai to Delhi for an year. I have a VW Jetta with MH01 registration. I am the second owner of the car. I am aware of the procedure and documents but still not clear about the refund process. What would be an approximate amount of taxes to be paid in Delhi? Will I get any refund from Mumbai RTO (bear in mind that I am the 2nd owner of the car)? I will definately be returning or changing my car after an year. Mine is a 2009 model.
Old 6th November 2013, 19:46   #73
BHPian

I dont think there is any issue with driving a vehicle of another state in Delhi, eg MH vehicle being driven in Delhi.

In most cases the problem is with Hyderabad or Karnataka if you are moving from any other state.

I have seen soo many vehicles including owned by friends which are driven on Delhi NCR without any issues or harrasments as long as they have complete papers of the vehicle in their names.
Old 23rd November 2013, 22:33   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumed View Post
I transferred my car (NHC) from Pune to Delhi and changed the registration number from MH to DL. The following was required:[*]NOC from the Pune authority.. .you will have to fill up a form, send in your car registration and insurance papers and pay around a thousand rupees.[*]NOC from the lending bank (ICICI).[*]Latest pollution under control certificateOnce you have done the above, you need to apply for transfer at Delhi (or the receiving city). Even after NOC from Pune, the authority in Delhi took more than a month going back to Pune and cross-verifying everything. You need to submit the following[*]registration papers[*]both the NOCs[*]PUC certificate from Delhi[*]In case the car is not the current model (as was with my NHC), you have to submit a proof that it is Euro - 3 compliant (only in case of Delhi as non-Euro 3 vehicles are not registered here anymore)[*]Fill up the necessary forms again (I do not remember the form numbers as it was 8-9 months ago)They charged me a sum of INR 30,000 (approx) as road tax + a few hundred rupees to do the transfer. Good Luck!
Hi Sumed, I have a Thane registered 2007 swift which I wish to transfer to Delhi. Now the predicament is that it is a Euro III compliant model and since then the norms have moved to Euro IV. I notice that you too had arranged some certificate to meet similar requirement for you car. Can you please elaborate on this certificate and how to obtain it ?
Old 21st December 2013, 16:54   #75
BHPian

I want to move my TN registered Indica Vista to kerala. What would I have to pay additionally and what would be the procedures???

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks