Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2007, 08:43   #1
Senior - BHPian

Cost for transfer of registration from one State/Place to another

What are the approx costs associated with transferring a MH registered vehicle (Mumbai) to KA (Bangalore) ?
The vehicle is a Hyundai Getz and is under a year old.

Thanks.

PS : Mods, not sure if I posted in the right section, please re-direct if necessary.
Old 14th February 2007, 10:40   #2
BHPian

I think you have to pay the road tax of Karnataka government... approximately 40K.
Old 14th February 2007, 10:46   #3
BHPian

Also make sure you get balance tax returned from MH
Old 14th February 2007, 17:32   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
I think you have to pay the road tax of Karnataka government... approximately 40K.
Yeah I had estimated around 50k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanapli View Post
Also make sure you get balance tax returned from MH
Any idea how this is calculated ? Say the car is approximately a year old.

Thanks guys, I was afraid the thread would go unanswered!
Old 14th February 2007, 18:04   #5
BHPian

there is already a thread discussing such issues. You need to search it.
Old 14th February 2007, 18:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navdeep View Post
there is already a thread discussing such issues. You need to search it.
I searched before creating this thread, but foun donly this thread which didnt help much.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ges-ka-mh.html
Old 16th February 2007, 07:10   #7
BANNED

The cost will be in the range of 40-50K. But I think it's going to be a hard time ahead for you if you try to get a refund from the Mumbai RTO.

From my knowledge, there will be a depreciation of a few thousands in the case of road tax since the car is a 1 year old model.
Old 16th February 2007, 07:26   #8
BHPian

Hope you are alo aware that you need to obtain an NOC from MH RTO before you register at KA RTO.
Let us know your proceedings in detail it will help many
tx
Old 16th February 2007, 08:50   #9
BHPian

Here is the GENERAL INFORMATION , Sale/Removal of Vehicle (links) for KA, I am sure MH would have similar procedures.
Old 16th February 2007, 11:50   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
The cost will be in the range of 40-50K. But I think it's going to be a hard time ahead for you if you try to get a refund from the Mumbai RTO.

From my knowledge, there will be a depreciation of a few thousands in the case of road tax since the car is a 1 year old model.
Yeah man any paperwork especially involving refunds is nothing short of a nightmare thanks to our 'babus'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriny_blr View Post
Let us know your proceedings in detail it will help many
Not sure whats going to happen really, just trying to see the feasbility of bringing down the Getz we have in mumbai. I will post here if the transfer does happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanapli View Post
Here is the GENERAL INFORMATION , Sale/Removal of Vehicle (links) for KA, I am sure MH would have similar procedures.
Thanks!
Old 16th February 2007, 13:45   #11
Team-BHP Support

While i am not really sure if its the same for a 4 wheeler, following is the procedure i had to follow when transferring my bike from hyderabad to Bangalore.

1) Obtain a certificate from the RTO which mentions that your vehicle has not been stolen, or involved in any illegal activity.
2) Submit this to the RTO, along with the forms for NOC , which will be returned to you in a day or two's time. As per the RTO in A.P., there are 3 forms of which 1 is returned to you, which they retain the others. These forms require an imprint of the vehicles chasis number. There is a certain fee involved in the same, i do not remember exactly how much.

In my case, as the vehicle involved is a bike, i did not go to claim any refun on the road tax submitted in A.P. Not worth teh effort i felt. For a 4 wheeler, its a much more significant amount, hence needs to be taken into consideration.

3) At the Bangalore RTO, went through an agent, which was the BIGGEST mistake i made. Had to literally follow up with the b#$%^&d innumerous times, and he even stopped answering my calls. Finally, rounded up a gang, and went and threatened the agent, and got things done. (Had already paid him the money). Ended up losing extra money as their commission, as well as innumerous trips behind them.
Once u get the bill indicating u have ur road tax paid, no stupid cop can accuse u of the same.
Old 17th February 2007, 12:41   #12
Senior - BHPian

@ bens; how much did it cost?

s0ul; its almost most 10% of car's market value I guess. DAmn costly but peace of mind( Is it for a Getz?)
Old 17th February 2007, 12:55   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
s0ul; its almost most 10% of car's market value I guess. DAmn costly but peace of mind( Is it for a Getz?)
Yeah JK for a Getz...
Old 17th February 2007, 14:58   #14
Senior - BHPian

Ok here goes. This is based on experience. Long reply.. plz take time to read.

1. You can drive a MH car in Bangalore provided you pay the Road tax. Now there are two things to consider, you can either pay lifetime road tax or you can pay for a year. Paying for a year is based on the fact that you want to take your car back to MH in a year's time. If not you can pay the lifetime tax.

Now comes the formula (this was 3 years back). The % might have changed.

Tax is calculated on the Invoice value of the vehicle and the age of the vehicle.

Check out this link New Page 1.

The way its calculated is

total value of the vehicle (base value + vat) * (9% or 10% or 12% based on car value) PLUS 5% cess on the above tax.

Now if your car is less than 2 years old its 93% of the total tax. look at the above link for full details.

Ex. If car price is 4,00,000/- than tax at 9% for santro would be 36000 + 1800 (5% cess) = 37800/-

Less than 2 years 93% = 37800 *93% = 35154/- (approx)
I'm not sure about the cess value now.

Hope my maths is right. This was how my Matiz tax was calculated when I got it from TN.

2. Now to change the Registration there's another procedure.

You have to get NOC from your original RTO in MH. For that you have to give a covering letter, fill up a form, insurance copy, pollution certificate, sometimes license copy. Also make sure if you have an hypothication, get it cancelled. This has also caused us problems.

Now come's the tricky part, once you get it, you can apply for a reimbursement of your MH Road tax. You should apply this within 10-45 days of getting NOC. This has been varying at times and I've been unable to get it. As someone pointed out, its too tough to get our own money back from the govt.

Finally make sure to get your car registered in KA as soon as you get your NOC. You would need the same documents as above (pollution, rc, insurance, letter from bank if loan is done, etc). I suggest you become a member of AAA and get it done through them. Its 3500 for membership i think. if not you would have to pay some nut agent. Or if you know kannada you can go directly to the rto and get it done yourself. I suggest you take a kannadiga friend for help.
Read below if you want to know what can happen otherwise.

Also we ( me and my friend) landed up in another problem. we got the noc but did not change the number here in KA due to various reasons. Recently when we tried to change it, the KA RTO says that the NOC is valid for only 45 days. They asked us to get another NOC. We went back to the TN RTO and they say that they cannot issue another NOC coz when they issue an NOC the registration of the car in TN is no longer valid !!!

Also when we got our NOC we had not cancelled our hypothication. KA RTO asked us to get it cancelled in TN. TN RTO says they cannot since they have already issued an NOC.

We approached AAA. They said that within 45 days of an NOC being issued you have to get the KA registration done. They had asked for another NOC. So we are back to Square ONE !!

So in short we are driving a car with no legal registration it seems. If someone has a solution for this please let us know !!!
csentil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2007, 17:12   #15
BHPian

I'm might also need to transfer my car from Bangalore to Delhi soon. Can any one please tell me if an NOC from the financing bank is also required? It's ICICI bank in my case.

I've paid a huge amount as road tax here arnd 35K I guess whereas it's just 7K in Delhi. So it seems wiser to reregister my car in Delhi & then get refund from here but don't know how easy/difficult it would be to get my money back.

If anybody has had any prior such experience please share.

TIA,
Rajiv

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks