Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: How many cars do you have at your home?
One car 295 31.12%
More than one car 634 66.88%
No cars 19 2.00%
Voters: 948. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2019, 17:55   #91
BHPian

Re: Number of single-car vs multi-car households on Team-BHP

We have 3.

1. 2017 Endeavour - That my dad uses for home to office trips. He travels about 60kms a day so needed something that could tackle bad roads while being comfortable at the back.

2. 2016 GT Tsi - My daily drive to and from the office and one off out of town trips, though we prefer to take the Endeavour if its a longish outing.

3. 2011 i20 - My mom drives it for errands or for short commutes. And dad drives it when he has to go out over the weekends. He prefers it to the large SUV and frankly so do I for city commute. Its done about 30k in 8 years and we'll probably keep it for couple of more years.
karan85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 18:10   #92
BHPian

No cars. When we sold the Cruze, we switched to Uber as a stop-gap solution till we purchased a new car. We checked out most cars in the same category but couldn't justify spending 15-20 lacs and then keep cribbing about the roads (or what's left of it), the way people drive, etc. We find it convenient to book an Uber for our daily work commute and rent cars for outstation road trips.
prateekm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 18:21   #93
BHPian

We have 2 cars, one belong to my father and one is mine at home. Additionally we also got 2 two wheeler.
Cars: Chevy Beat Diesel and Renault Kwid
Two Wheeler: Bajaj Dominar ABS and Suzuki Lets

The cars only see the road on weekends or on any special occasion and I mostly use two wheeler for commuting to office and other tight places.
sabi_swat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 18:39   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

7 cars

1. HM Ambassador (1984): This car has run around 4 lakhs km, but with 3 different engines. The car was stolen in early 2000's and the thieves had plonked in petrol engine , dad converted it back to diesel later. The car is not in running condition as of now.

2. Maruti 800 (1989): The first car I ever drove. The car has run close to 3 lakhs km today. Dad uses it daily to transport farm products.

3. Maruti SX4 (2011): Run more than 1.2 lakhs Kms, my first modified car. I survived a major accident too, got lot of memories. Also, I am proud to say this is the fastest 1.3 MJD car in India. This is also the car for airport runs.

4. Hyundai Grand I10 (2013): ODO is close to 90k kms, dad's favorite car in our garage. This is also remapped. Never let us down.

5. Maruti Baleno (2015): I am currently using this car, run around 35k Kms. Love the 1.2 engine and brilliant handling. Oh yes, the car is lowered too now!

6. Renault Kwid (2016): Hardly run, only 14k Kms in 3.5 years.

7. Maruti S-Cross 1.6 (2016): This is my favorite car, got lot of mods..200 HP + . ODO is around 55k Kms.

Out of 7 cars, only 3 cars (S-Cross, Baleno & Grand I10) are most used today. Every car is different and special one or other way. Say, I love revving the 1.2 NA Baleno even after long drive in my 200 HP S-Cross.

I would love to get the 800 and Ambassador fully fixed someday.

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 13th September 2019 at 18:42.
Dr.Naren is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 19:04   #95
BHPian

We have 3 cars at home.

My wife drives a 2012 Honda Brio S(O) MT @ 54000km

I still have my dad's 2000 model Honda City 1.5 EXI @ 120,000 km - which is used for short drives.
The City will always be with me cause I love her very much

A new addition last year, is our pre-worshipped 2013 VW Jetta 2.0 TDi @ 106,000 km and is primarily used for long-distance trips and longer drives/journeys.

We will probably retain both the Brio and the Jetta, till the 10 year mark if not more.
Redline6800 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 19:25   #96
BHPian

Voted for "One Car"

One Car - Honda City iVtec 2016, 34k KMs on odo
One Bike - Honda Hornet 2019, bought recently replacing 2008 Honda Unicorn
One Scooter - Honda Activa 2007, 65k KMs on odo
yogesh.8984 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 20:03   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
There be a lot of Mumbaikars who haven't ridden a 2 wheeler nor own one. You seem to fit that stereotype. In B School, we had students from various parts of India. We South Indians were amused to find the reaction of Mumbaikars upon seeing us ride our motorcycles in the hills of Udupi with elan. Some of them eventually learnt how to ride on 2 wheels in Activas. The entire motorized 2 wheel thing was new to them.
My father is a massive bike enthusiast - and tried for years to get me to like them. I loved (still do) bicycles and was very good on them. Never grew into bikes though - not even through 2 hostel stints over Engg. and B-School. My first memory of a motorcycle is falling off one at age 4 and I go by the credo that "however good a bike may be, the fact is that you can't fall off a car".

Edit: I find most bikers dangerous (Note: not all; but the vast majority). They have a complete disregard for any and all rules, etiquette and even their own safety. Most seem to ride with a manner that assumes the car driver will look out for them and swerve out of the way or just stop completely while they shoot / swerve past. And yes, I am one of those that takes immense pleasure in actively blocking them from overtaking down the left while they scream and shout and honk.
imidnightmare is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 20:41   #98
BHPian

Have 2 and feel it is a good combination!

Civic AT (2006) for office and city commute, and an Yeti (2011) for out-station trips. Off late, office commute is primarily using office transport and hence Civic usage has dropped significantly. Still try to take Civic out atleast a day to work and weekend errands/ mall trips! Not feeling to let go either of them though my mind says to let go of one!
Safeer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 22:10   #99
BHPian

Have 3 cars at home.

Car 1:
Dec 2014 Fluidic Verna CRDI : 193k kms on Odo. My daily driver/beater car, used for onroad, offroad, grocery shopping, outstation trips, mall visits etc etc. this thing literally does 90% of all the “car” running at home.

Car 2
Jan 2014 Alto800 VXi : 25k kms on Odo. Used exclusively by my dad for short city runs. He’s not very tech savvy and does not use Uber/Ola. Prefers his alto.

Car 3
Mar 2018 Tiago XZA: 10.5k kms on Odo. Bought for my wife for her office commute on the ORR but metro construction and increasing traffic means she hardly takes it these days. So I use it on the weekends.

2-wheeler:
2007 Hero Honda Pleasure. This is my mum’s vehicle and is used for errands when I’m required to goto places where the Verna cannot go.

Talks are On, to drop two cars but it won’t be the Verna.
drhoneycake is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 22:15   #100
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
No cars. When we sold the Cruze, we switched to Uber as a stop-gap solution till we purchased a new car. We checked out most cars in the same category but couldn't justify spending 15-20 lacs and then keep cribbing about the roads (or what's left of it), the way people drive, etc. We find it convenient to book an Uber for our daily work commute and rent cars for outstation road trips.

I really wish I could do that.
And I've tried it.
But whenever I reach the highways, and see the empty stretch of road, and someone else on the wheel, it just infuriates me.
Instead of enjoying the journey, I always end up thinking, "this would be so much fun if I were driving"
simeonovitch is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2019, 00:13   #101
BHPian

We're a family of four staying in a busy Mumbai suburb, but we moved here from Navi Mumbai last year, which was more spread out and it made sense to have two cars. It was considered unnecessary to take the big car for short distances or groceries.

We had two cars but then I left home for college and subsequently started working in Bangalore where I had a pre-owned Brio for 3 years. My brother left for college a year and a half back and my parents decided to send our 2009 i20 (It had run 35k in 10 years in short trips) to Kerala to our ancestral house as we didn't need it anymore and as we had lost our 2005 City there due to the floods.

Dad uses the Kodiaq for his office commute (28 km roundtrip. 1.5 hours to and fro which is reasonable in Mumbai) but he carpools with a colleague so she doesn't run much on weekdays. Weekends include the occasional shopping trip. Since everything is available nearby, we just walk or take an auto.

There were talks of picking up a pre-owned car for my usage when I moved back a month ago but it didn't materialise as I will be leaving the country in another 7-8 months. If the car isn't at home on a particular day, I just use an Ola/Uber or take the local if its not rush hour.

I guess a lot depends on the locality you live in. Older and more established areas make it easier for you to give up a car. I mean, I had the Brio in Bangalore only because I used to live on the outskirts.
saur95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2019, 12:43   #102
BHPian

I live in Bangalore and we have two cars at home. We were forced to buy a second hand Eon because I needed to go to metro station which is 7km from my house and the auto, ola/uber service is terrible, unreliable and atrociously priced.
Dad used his Honda City to go to office (pooled with colleagues too).
But now Honda City isn't used much because Dad uses office cab and even for nearby market runs Eon is preferred.
City has become old (though still super reliable) and needs suspension overhauling and some other expensive components to be changed.
Maybe it will be eliminated from our garage in a year's time. We don't need two cars now as it's difficult to manage both and keep them in sufficient running condition and also pay their insurance premiums, annual service cost etc.

Last edited by Storm2.0 : 14th September 2019 at 12:44.
Storm2.0 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2019, 16:23   #103
BHPian

We have 3 cars and 2 bikes at our homes.

1.The Nexon is mainly used for highway cruising and intercity travelling duties. It is perfectly safe (priority on highways) and comfortable for long rides.
2.The WagonR (2004) used to be our primary car for intracity commutes and for running errands but since it is at the end of its 15 year life (I live in Mathura so the 15 year RC rule applies) it is mostly parked safe in the garage. It doesn't have too many miles on it (just 95,000km) and is mechanically perfect. Add to the mix my childhood memories and the sentimental calue of it, I and my family are in no mood to get rid of it.
3.To replace the WagonR, we have bought a Santro which is the beater car for our family.

Also, since Mathura has many small lanes and crazy traffic especially in the old parts of the city which are inaccessible in a car, we have a Honda Shine and a Honda Activa for that purposes. We figured that since most of the commutes are gonna be short (<5km) there is no need to splurge on a more powerful bike or scooter. Maybe when electric scooters like Ather are available in our region, we'll replace both our ICE bikes with electric ones.

-Paras
PapaKiloSierra9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2019, 16:37   #104
BHPian

We are a family of 6 (Mom, dad, sister, grand-dads and I) and have 4 cars and 5 bikes.
My dad travels abroad a lot for work and is home for 20% of the year intermittently.

Cars:
1. Toyota Fortuner 2013: My dad and I use it for long drives and I sometimes use it within Bangalore for office commute. 76k km done.
2. Maruti Zen 2001: Dad uses this when he is home for city commute and I use this car occasionally to keep it running. 85k km done.
3. Maruti 800 1995: I use this car occasionally for office commute and local city travel. It does not have A/C and hence is limited for the good weather drives. 65k km done.
4. Maruti Swift 2018: My granddad's car which I use majorly for office commute and solo long trips. 12k km done.

Bikes:
1. Honda Dio 2007: Sister uses this for her 5 km commute everyday. 45k km done.
2. Piaggio Vespa 150 VXL 2015: Mom uses this for occasional shopping and local commute. 5k km done.
3. Honda CBR250R 2012: Used to be my daily ride for college, long trips, adventures and everything. Recently completed Spiti on this and still runs beautifully. 76k km done.
4. Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 2019: My preferred ride for the highways now. 5k km done.
5. Royal Enfield Classic 500 Chrome 2015: Dad's weekend pastime although I have ridden it the most. 12k km done.
saishivaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2019, 17:29   #105
Senior - BHPian

Voted for 1 car.

Staying in the outskirts of Bangalore , public transport or say last mile connectivity is a big challenge. Hence,
1 car(4.5 months old Jazz CVT) & 1 bike(11 year old RTR 160). Just 2 of us so no need of additional vehicle. Eagerly waiting for metro work to finish post which car usage (currently 47kms a day) can be reduced from daily to occasionally.
SoumenD is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks