Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2007, 13:52   #526
Senior - BHPian

Just one point to mention here - The Corolla with 170mm of GC looks really odd-ball & badly proportioned, so is it just me but do you guys also think that with 190mm of GC the SX4 could look really weird??

It would need quite a deft stylist to intrgrate that kind of GC seamlessly in a car like the SX4.

Question is: Has Maruti gone overboard with raising the GC?

Last edited by iraghava : 6th May 2007 at 13:54.
Old 6th May 2007, 14:01   #527
Senior - BHPian

@iRags - The Corolla had a original GC of 185mm(in the 5spoke alloyed version) which was reduced to the 170mm in the newer 10spoke alloyed version.

Yes, MUL have gone overboard with the GC, cars like the RS with GC of 134mm hardly scrape the underbody, with 190mm its asking for too much, its not the GC, its how the car is designed will defend it from touching or scrapping the speedbreakers.
Old 6th May 2007, 14:01   #528
Senior - BHPian

I think it will look really odd, it'd probably look bulkier than the NHC. At least the NHC has a sharp snout, SX4 is more curvy. It's going to probably look like a mutated lump on stilts. The SX4 abroad is a sporty cross-over types, so the bulky shape and 200mm GC works. Now they've added a boot and no sharp styling cues.
Old 6th May 2007, 14:27   #529
Senior - BHPian

I am getting confused here. I was told that the new M series engine from Maruti gives 107 bhp and has 4 valves with VVT. After reading some threads it seems there is no VVT and the power is only 102 bhp and 16 valves opposed to 4... can someone please clarify this. I am in Dubai right now so cant confirm these things myself.
Old 6th May 2007, 14:35   #530
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
I am getting confused here. I was told that the new M series engine from Maruti gives 107 bhp and has 4 valves with VVT. After reading some threads it seems there is no VVT and the power is only 102 bhp and 16 valves opposed to 4... can someone please clarify this. I am in Dubai right now so cant confirm these things myself.
It's 4 valves per cylinder, so that would make 16 valves for 4 cylinders. M16A comes with VVT.

Australia and NZ get 2.0L, DOHC engines with variable length intake system, and making 145 bhp and 184 Nm of torque. Since their cars come straight from Japan, everybody else gets 'em from Hungary.
Old 6th May 2007, 15:44   #531
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Just one point to mention here - The Corolla with 170mm of GC looks really odd-ball & badly proportioned, so is it just me but do you guys also think that with 190mm of GC the SX4 could look really weird??

It would need quite a deft stylist to intrgrate that kind of GC seamlessly in a car like the SX4.

Question is: Has Maruti gone overboard with raising the GC?
Suzuki (I don't think Maruti had much to do with this) would have given this a thought. But in these days of sharing platforms across models they didn't have much choice when they decided to convert a cross-over economy recreational vehicle into a sedan. Cant hide away that legacy high ground clearance and tall-boy config easily. See 2007 SX4 below.

The Sedan is an 'economy' offering in other markets - buyers might just overlook those oddball proportions in favour of a 2Liter DOHC and boot.
Old 6th May 2007, 15:53   #532
BHPian

While the hoohah on the SX4 is building up...

There was talk of a Swift pseudo-sedan being introduced about a year ago (the talk, not the introduction ). Not sure if Suzuki's been doing anything about it, but some talented chaps over at Totalcar - Hírek have been working overtime in photoshop to help suzuki figure out what it might look like

Check these out. The sedan first

And a Fabia-buster next

Mods, your call if you want to move this somewhere else.
Old 6th May 2007, 16:01   #533
Senior - BHPian

One thing I would be really interested in is overall interior space,while all figures are out regarding length ,width ,height,check the wheel base of the SX4 VS NHC VS Verna VS Ford Fiesta[seems pretty close,width and height seem to be more of the Sx4's plus points].

Height well I dont think it will be a major factor.
Old 6th May 2007, 16:19   #534
BHPian

I think end of the day what shall matter will be the pricing. Technically there is little maruti can go wrong with SX4. So although it might be good to debate about the specs across the other cars wrt SX4, end of the day price shall directly impact the success of this vehicle
Old 6th May 2007, 16:22   #535
BHPian

Honda's reaction

In continuation from my previous post (#479):

I wanted to visit show room again to see sx4. But dealer said that they have been told not to show the car to anyone SINCE SOMEONE HAS TAKEN SNAPS AND PUT IT IN INTERNET (GeekSrik you are most wanted by Khattar , just kiddin'). He said that it may be launched before next weekend, I know he doesn't know actual dates or doesn't want to tell me.

I just called up NHC dealer and asked if they are planning to slash price due to sx4. He said that there was a meeting on this and Honda decided to proceed with current price, no changes .

There can be 2 ways to derive info:
  1. Honda doesn't really bother about sx4 at all, they know NHC can sell anyway whatever is price for sx4
  2. Honda guys know sx4's price already (may be higher than NHC) and hence they needn't bother
Lets wait and see what Maruti does this time.
Old 6th May 2007, 16:46   #536
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
he said SX4 shall give Corolla run for its money
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
2. They arent expecting to sell very large numbers, since Corolla numbers are rather low anyway.
Or perhaps they are saying that the SX4 has the features of a corolla for 2 lakhs less ?

Last edited by esteem_lover : 6th May 2007 at 16:48.
Old 6th May 2007, 16:53   #537
Senior - BHPian

Actually this statement doesnt seem encouraging. giving only corolla a run for its money means it might be costly, as they dont mention giving nhc or fiesta a run for its money. but the papers and tv claim otherwise indicating nhc as a main competitor which suggests that the price may hover about 8 lac. now i would generally believe the papers/tv more since they sometimes go to lengths to find out information unlike the sales guys.
Old 6th May 2007, 18:14   #538
Senior - BHPian

Nygah. Okay. Here's the scoop...couldn't put up pics or detailed reports since net's down at my house....and I'm currently posting this from a "secret place"...these are the initial views from a test taken about a couple of days ago..

The car handles really beautifully, given it's girth; no doubt aided by the 16 inch (beautifully crafted) alloys. Still not flickable as the Cedia, which, by far, offers the highest level of driver satisfaction in terms of handling dynamics after the Lancer. Steering is sharp, although the OHC VTEC is still the benchmark in this area. Feedback is kinda, lacklustre. Chassis is sweet, and I believe is capable of handling much more. Performance is definitely not earth-shattering. 140 comes up pretty neat, but progress from 140-170 is kinda slow. I expect the top whack to be in the region of 185 kmph, true. The console is pretty similar to the Swift's, with the needles having a glass effect, with chromed rings on the dials- and oh, different font numericals. Curiously, the speedo's marked to "just" 200 kmph. Driver's seat comfort is way good, although the front quarter glass looks odd while judging corners. The thicker than usual pillars don't help either. I tested the ZXi, so the equipment levels were more than adequate, what with climate control, power mirrors/windows, blah, blah...and oh, thankfully, there's a clock in the centre of the dash...and the single din integrated CD system looks neat as well...

Rear seat comfort is of comparable quality to the Cedia. Definitely not in the Corolla league, since knee room isn't ample. Comfortable, yes, but not L-A-R-G-E. Rear centre armrest is standard on the Zxi. And yeah, leather is abound everywhere, with the steering as well. And steering mounted audio controls make their debut for the first time on a Maruti.

And yes, the diesel will debut in a couple of months. More details later.

Can't type in a more detailed report, due to time constraints.

As for the pricing....here goes...about 8.5, Thane...
Old 6th May 2007, 18:20   #539
Senior - BHPian

Thanx alot Veyro, that was indeed very helpful and knowledgable.

Mods why not shift the post into New cars test drive.

P.S Imagine the way the thread Coming up next - Fiat Linea will be flooded by Fiat fans.
Old 6th May 2007, 18:24   #540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1 View Post
As for the pricing....here goes...about 8.5, Thane...
OTR or ex-showroom? Specifics, Atul. Specifics.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks