Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2007, 01:36   #316
BHPian

Underrated: For sure the Cedia. Drives well, an awesome drivers seat, comfortable enough, looks good, after the price slash, it's a good deal.
Old 13th October 2007, 21:55   #317
BHPian

Most Overrated, New HONDA city, Honda Civic, Skoda Octavia, Laura

Most Under rated : Lancer Cedia(fools dont know how to market), Fiat Palio, fiat Uno, siena, weekend etc etc(They dont know marketing either)..

Needs to be ejected into space: Ambassador, maruti 800 and zen estilo!
Old 14th October 2007, 00:47   #318
BHPian

Over rated : Honda civic, mitsubishi lancer(not cedia), Skoda Laura.

Under rated : Tata Indigo, Palio.
Old 16th October 2007, 14:58   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
Overrated: Santro/ Esteem/ New Honda City
Underrated: Palio/ Astra/ 118 NE (still feels good to drive!)/ Optra

It's amazing that every car introduced in India from the M 800 onwards was initially positioned as a "luxury" vehicle.

mvk
I am not sure how we classify overrated or underrated car here, for sure 118NE was a rustbox with uneven panel gaps, how can it be underrated?

Someone mentioned earlier of qualis being overrated, not sure how. It was a capable and economical people mover, at the right price point, and hence succeeded.

Lets understand that rarely does the market wrongly read a car/product, market sentiments and sales figures are the best way to judge any car. In case of the palio, it sure is a great product by itself, but coupled to pathetic *** and fuel economy, not many want to buy it.

If we are looking at calling poorly made vehicles which still sell/sold well as overrated, then I would call the HM trekker as the most overrated vechicle.
Old 16th October 2007, 15:27   #320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
I could not resist this prabuddha. But what do you suggest Fiat owners do? Bend over and take it? I doubt if genuine problems with Fiat cars are ever glossed over by Fiat owners. But just like so many people deride Hyundai without looking at the merits of their cars, there are many many more who just look at Fiat cars with disdain. Some of the claims made against Fiat cars are done so without owning them making the response from Fiat owners all that sharper.
To add on, its not just fiat owners, what about tata safari owners, they keep glossing over the poor plastics, the oil leaks, the rattles and various problems (although highlighted), due to the great comfort and overall appeal of the car
Old 24th October 2007, 18:24   #321
BHPian

Overrated and Underrated

Underrated - Palio, Petra
Overrated - NHC, Scorpio, Santro
Old 24th October 2007, 19:00   #322
BHPian

Overrated - Civic, City, Skoda (All Models except RS)

Underrated - Palio, Cedia, Elantra, Petra

Last edited by 1self : 24th October 2007 at 19:01.
Old 24th October 2007, 19:02   #323
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1self View Post
Overrated - Civic, City, Octavia

Underrated - Palio, Cedia, Elantra, Petra
Civic and City may be but the Octavia (especially the 1.9TDi and the RS) are not over rated at all. Just my $ 0.02
Old 26th October 2007, 00:31   #324
BHPian

Most Under rated : Fiat Palio .It is a AWESOME CAR. I owned it for 3 years and didnt face a single problem. Excellent suspension , feel and grip on the road is superb, excellent engine and gear shift, good power for that class.

Most Over rated : Honda City. I know many would disagree, since it is considered such a good car, but with 75 BHP under the hood for that kind of body it feels too underpowered.
Old 26th October 2007, 09:41   #325
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitroy View Post
Most Under rated : Fiat Palio .It is a AWESOME CAR. I owned it for 3 years and didnt face a single problem. Excellent suspension , feel and grip on the road is superb, excellent engine and gear shift, good power for that class.

Most Over rated : Honda City. I know many would disagree, since it is considered such a good car, but with 75 BHP under the hood for that kind of body it feels too underpowered.
oh no.. most of us will agree.
Old 26th October 2007, 16:52   #326

Hello All

My first post,
Quite a few of you have opted the NHC as an over-rated car. I am forced to disagree aleast for the Vtec version.
I bought an NHC vtec last December. I came to India after a stint of 3 years abroad and when I enquired about buying a car within the price band of 8-10 L, there were really no other good options. I considered the Fiesta, Verna, Aveo and the Elantra. Almost made my mind to buy the Elantra but when I had a personal look at it and spoke to the Sales Guys, I found out that they were not interested in customer enquiring about the Elantra and were very busy showcasing the Verna, they offered only Black and White as the colour options and one showroom even mentioned that Elantra is no longer available as the production is stopped !. Besides one of the websites mentioned that crash tests (not in India) of Elantra proved that the airbag deployed late and failed to protect the occupant.

After some serious hunting I settled for the NHC Vtec and its been 10 months now, I am happy with the car. Now I feel that the other option I had was the Lancer Cedia but it was almost unheard of last December when I enquired around and people did not acknowledge the idea.

Maybe the Cedia is one of the most under rated cars in India
Old 26th October 2007, 17:05   #327
BANNED

The proof of the pudding is in the eating. No point juggling with the numbers. If numbers were everything, then Accent 1.6 would have beaten Baleno here https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...leno-1-6l.html (Accent 1.6L vs Baleno 1.6L)
Quote:
Old 26th October 2007, 17:08   #328
BHPian

Quote:

I certainly would disagree! It is not a car that sets the tracks ablaze (rather it cannot) but the fuel efficiency that the engine eeks out for a car of that size is tremendous.
Old 28th October 2007, 19:58   #329
BHPian

I my View:

Most OverRated:
> Swift (Nice lookin car, excellent performance, decent handling but again downsides like inconsistent build, cramped interiors and hey it's everywhere now, already feels ageing with so many of them on the road).

> Scorpio (Butch lookin, good creature features but heck no crash test done by the manufacturer for a vehicle that's supposed to be ferryin families?)
> Zen Estilo (Zen Classic, IInd Gen Zen, Zen Estilo???? Lessons on how to downgrade yourselves!!!).

Most UnderRated:
> Ford Mondeo (Ford has to blame themselves for not pricing it right at first, lost the game there itself).
> Hyundai Tuscon (What went wrong in this..........??????)
> Tata Indica Xeta (The 'Taxi' image of its diesel sibling, "I'm everywhere" kinda gaadi, but still is doing decent numbers and is truely VFM in every sense)
Old 29th October 2007, 15:12   #330
BHPian

I might be able to comment upon the most OVERrated car with my own experience, and the award goes to MARUTI SWIFT VDI.
Driving pleasure is just missing, driving the car feels heavy n you are tired after an hour of drive,
GearShift -Its very hard.Ride isnt featherlite but cant term it very bad also.
Interiors are just not upto the mark for 5.5Lacs small car,but i believe thats what maruti is not serious about in all its segments.
Build quality is not what you get from German Cars,Even chevy SPARK has better interiors and build quality than a 2 Lakhs more epensive Swift Vdi.
Another important point is very uncomfortable Front seats,specially the head rests, Fellows who are driving Swifts would agree without giving it a second thought.
Yes The Biggest saviour of this car is the Fuel Economy,A trusted brand,After sales service (availability),Shape to an extent.......

BUT BUT ther is a psychological satisfaction of taking a right decision of buying a Swift when you see that you have bought a car for which people are ready to wait for 3to4 months, in an era where you have atleast 10 to 15 options in this Range.....

So Kudos to Maruti for making it one of the most sought after car in Indian Auto industry....... Truth( one of the most overrated car)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks