Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2009, 17:07   #421
BANNED

The latest over rated car in the Indian market now is Linea!
The car simply doesn't live up to all the hype and hoopla it created in last 2 years. A.S.S is also hopeless. Very much over rated a car.
One of the under rated cars sold now in the market is Getz. Very solidly built and came with reasonably good power except the 1.1 version. The A.S.S is also amazing. It didn't get the praise it deserved.
Old 5th February 2009, 17:25   #422
Senior - BHPian

Lets add Alto to the list of overrated as well.... puffs and shudders with the A/C on, the cabin is designed for uneccesary intimacy, the back seats are not fit for humans and isnt value for money as well. A base Santro is a much better choice.
Old 5th February 2009, 20:05   #423
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Lets add Alto to the list of overrated as well.... puffs and shudders with the A/C on, the cabin is designed for uneccesary intimacy, the back seats are not fit for humans and isnt value for money as well. A base Santro is a much better choice.
There is a market for the car, and hence it sells. For example, a single person or a bachelor or a small familiy, going in for a first car, which is reasonably peppy to drive in city and is easy to handle and park, has power steering, chilling AC, and rock solid reliability, combined with excellent after sales support - all this for about 2.8 lacs. WHAT ELSE DO YOU NEED?!
Old 5th February 2009, 20:14   #424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
One of the under rated cars sold now in the market is Getz. Very solidly built and came with reasonably good power except the 1.1 version. The A.S.S is also amazing. It didn't get the praise it deserved.
Lemme put it this way : It didnt get the power it deserved. I mean the 1.3 & 1.1 Petrol engines. I drove both and found both underpowered- Just my personal opinion.
Old 5th February 2009, 21:28   #425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
There is a market for the car, and hence it sells. For example, a single person or a bachelor or a small familiy, going in for a first car, which is reasonably peppy to drive in city and is easy to handle and park, has power steering, chilling AC, and rock solid reliability, combined with excellent after sales support - all this for about 2.8 lacs. WHAT ELSE DO YOU NEED?!
For a little premium Santro is a much better car and so is Maruti's own Estillo which after discounts is a big VFM.
Old 5th February 2009, 21:59   #426
BHPian

According to me the most overrated car at the moment is the i10. Everywhere in bangalore I see only i10's on the road.

If you ask me it is one of the ugliest cars I have seen along with the A*, God knows what has happened to car companies, they are totally out of ideas and coming out with ugly frog like designs.The old zen and the old esteem still look so fresh and neat in design.

The only reason i10 sells at the moment is because people have got bored of seeing the so many swifts on the road and need better mileage than the swift and are also bored of seeing the Santro. The aam junta will never look at Fiat, Ford and GM cars then wat is the option left, i10 !
Old 6th February 2009, 09:53   #427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque
For a little premium Santro is a much better car and so is Maruti's own Estillo which after discounts is a big VFM.
You might be right about the Santro/Estilo being better options than the Alto. But what about those who don't like the ugly tallboy looks of these cars ? And also those who value FE, which would be considerably more in case of the Alto ? Different people, different needs - as simple as that.

More than the Alto being over-rated, I think it is a case of no other option being available at that price point. I fail to understand why no other manufacturer chooses to attack MSIL in that segment where it does not have any serious competition. Is it that tough to put together a small hatch with an engine ranging from anywhere between 600cc and 800cc, giving good FE and just about space for 4 people to be seated ? Till this happens, we can't expect much from MSIL in terms of enhancement to the M800/Alto - there is just no motivation for them to improve.
Old 6th February 2009, 10:28   #428
BHPian

I also agree that Alto, i10 both are over rated cars.

now if you want a millage than better buy a M 800, why to pay another 50K for the same engine & Same space, just for a outside colors?

i10 well again millage is almost similar to Santro, so again y to spend more just for an interiors?

Now if we look at i20 is such an overpriced, suddenly you feel i10 is a VFM!
Old 6th February 2009, 10:51   #429
Senior - BHPian

I feel one of the most under rated cars in the Uno both petrol and diesel versions. Have been driving a 1.2 Petrol version for the last 6 years and about 1.07L on the clock. No reduction in power, still touches 150 on any decent road with 2 people on board and has absolutely firm road grip. Only pitfall - bad service network and availability of parts an issue.

Most Overrated car - All Skodas especially the Laura (Skoda is the working class and sales rep brigade's car in Europe. Laura is the Last Gen Octavia and the Octavia in India used to do duty for TAXI's in Europe as the Octavia scout)
Old 6th February 2009, 14:17   #430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I feel one of the most under rated cars in the Uno both petrol and diesel versions. Have been driving a 1.2 Petrol version for the last 6 years and about 1.07L on the clock. No reduction in power, still touches 150 on any decent road with 2 people on board and has absolutely firm road grip. Only pitfall - bad service network and availability of parts an issue.

Most Overrated car - All Skodas especially the Laura (Skoda is the working class and sales rep brigade's car in Europe. Laura is the Last Gen Octavia and the Octavia in India used to do duty for TAXI's in Europe as the Octavia scout)
I agree on the Uno bit, in fact not just the Uno but even the Palio are fab cars which are unduly underated in India. They seem to hold up much better over time and take our poor roads in their stride wihtout any damage.

The Laura is not the old Octy but the new one. Skoda is a fleet sales vehicle but the taxi drivers in Europe prefer the Mercedes. It seemed to me that Mercedes is the single largest brand used as taxis in Europe. It is only in India that Skoda is treated as a premium product (as also McDonalds, Pizza Hut, Subway etc.).

The Octy (both old and new) are competent and rugged vehicles that offer outstanding economy, their diesel engines border on the harsh but are extremely frugal. Skoda owners in India seem to be wannabe Merc/BMW owners who decided to skimp on 10 to 15 lakhs and at the same time get a 30% additional FE over the C class merc. (Basically a penny pincher - like me)

Talking about Europe, I found that they treat the Japanese cars with disdain, while we Indians love to extoll the Jap vehicles and put them on a pedestal.

Cheers,
Old 6th February 2009, 14:36   #431
Senior - BHPian

I think the Ford Mondeo was and still remains India's most under-rated cars..it had awesome,crisp,perfect looks and performed incredibly well...and also the Elantra CRDi..it had everything..great engine,ABS,EBD,ESP at that price..except for a lousy front end..the most over rated car is the Estilo/Wagon R....stupid tin boxes..all the Fiats were under-rated too..the Palio Stile in red still looks really really hot..pity it didnt do well
Old 6th February 2009, 15:33   #432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post

The Laura is not the old Octy but the new one.
The New2009 Octy is out. Please visit Škoda. The Laura has been rechristened as Octy MY08.

I somehow dont like the look of the new 09 Octy, especially the headlights which are similar looking to the new Superb
Old 7th February 2009, 00:48   #433
Senior - BHPian

not new - not even revamped - just some cosmetic changes

Heyy I did check the site. In fact I had seen the pics somewhere else earlier.

There are some minor cosmetic changes - most notably the bonnet (or more likey just the grille trim), the front bumper and air intake and the lights (headlamps and fog lamps), the rear is exactly the same except perhaps the bumper - does it now have an additional crease at the bottom? There is no change in the side or other panels. The specs too have not changed. I do suspect that they have deleted some of the engine options. To my mind cosmetic changes do not justify calling a car 'new'.

Incidentally did you realise that Skoda is badging the cars higher by one category in India. The Euro L&K is not available here. The L&K here is their Elegance, the Elegance here is their S or SE. Wonder what all our dudes here who think Skoda is a luxe car have to say to that!

Oh yes getting back to this thread, my personal nominations are as follows -

Most underrated cars

1. Opel Corsa 1.6
2. Fiat Uno
3 Fiat Palio

Most overrated cars:

1. Standard 2000 - it looked wonderful till you drove it. Wonder why they did not use the same engine here as the Rover 200
2. Maruti 1000, the smallest incline meant you were in 1st gear
3. The Wagon R & Santros - havent they heard about road-grip, one drizzle and those cars are all over the road (sideways)

Cheers

Last edited by Ravveendrra : 7th February 2009 at 00:59.
Old 7th February 2009, 08:21   #434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post

Incidentally did you realise that Skoda is badging the cars higher by one category in India. The Euro L&K is not available here. The L&K here is their Elegance, the Elegance here is their S or SE. Wonder what all our dudes here who think Skoda is a luxe car have to say to that!
Personally I like the Skoda's but only if they came with the European Pricing / Maintenance and Specs. I would like really like to get my hands on the OCTY VRS 170 bhp 2.0 TDI or 200BHP 2.0 FSI. This one is a scorcher and in league with the best saloons
Old 7th February 2009, 11:44   #435
Senior - BHPian

Cheaper in India!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Personally I like the Skoda's but only if they came with the European Pricing / Maintenance and Specs. I would like really like to get my hands on the OCTY VRS 170 bhp 2.0 TDI or 200BHP 2.0 FSI. This one is a scorcher and in league with the best saloons

I just did a quick check to confirm, they are cheaper (marginally) in India. The car with the specs of the Indian L&K weighs in at Rs.16.25 lakhs.

Do you think we could petition / pray / beg Skoda to intro the 2.0 L engines in India. But I guess they will tell us to buy the VW or Audi!! Believe me, I'd rather buy 2 of these for those prices.

Cheers,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks