Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2009, 19:08   #451

Underrated

IKON 1.6 - for some reason I never hear people speak about this brilliant car. Sure the brakes were not really up to the mark, but it handles and delivers power well.

Ocatvia Petrol [be it a vRS or the new Ambience or whatever its called] - Superb engine, brilliant suspension, and best of all it doesn't handle like a big car [it feels big but it's quite nimble i would say].

Over rated -

Civic - Don't get me wrong, I love the Civic. Absolutely brilliant car, but it's not nearly as godly as I've found people to think it to be. It has a low ground clearance and the A-pillars are blatantly obstructing your field of vision. The dashboard looks futuristic, but a little too futuristic in my opinion. The gear shift is wayy too far from the steering wheel, for short people like me it's really a pain to reach your hand out that far to shift gears.

Swift - I don't understand why this car is appealing. It moves decently, not nearly fast enough to be called a swift in my opinion. It's cramped and feels tacky. And last but not least it's extremely ugly.

No offense to any Swift owners here though =). I know that everyone has a different taste is looks and style and everyone has different needs from a car, so I understand why someone would want to buy it. I'm just stating that it's not for me.
Old 23rd March 2009, 01:52   #452
Senior - BHPian

Yes I agree that Ikon 1.6 was a decent car,had a good engine,handling was a great package,it had a fair bit of body-roll,but it was a car in which one would get his line correct in the middle of a corner without geting into a hairy situation.

Coming to swift,its certainly not Overrated,its a good package,has great handling for a hatch,someone just see those hyundais and chevys in that segment,you will find them in dust when you will compare the hadling of swift in them.Talking about the engine,its a peppy and free revving engine,and its not just the Indians,the car has been much loved internationally as well.Although those sport a different engine but still the indian swift too is far from being an average car.Sure its small and build quality is certainly not good enough,but then there is nothing like a perfect car(barring the ROLLS..).Looks ofcourse is a matter of debate and to some it may be ugly but to the most its a smart little cheeky car.

Note from Mods : Please try to use spaces after punctuation marks in order to ease readability. Take a look at this thread for details. Thanks.

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd March 2009 at 02:50. Reason: Please see note in post.
Old 23rd March 2009, 14:45   #453
BHPian

I feel, Fiesta 1.6 type 2 is the most under rated vehicle.
Reasons for that:
1. There is the diesel variant -- Ppl speak about Fiesta only in terms of the Diesel variant.
2. As a owner of a 1.6 petrol, i frankly feel that it is a better package interms of handling, cornering ability, power and looks compared to the baleno, and on par with the OHC.
3. On this forum, ppl are now slowly tilting towards the Fiesta because of the introduction of the 1.6S. But guys, the old and the new fiesta have the same engine without any new tuning. And btw, the type 2 had a softer suspension for better ride quality.

So, i duely feel, Fiesta 1.6 is under rated.

Over-rated:
Swift Diesel and Petrol --> it looks plastic to me and have driven it and dint find it a prodigy.
Old 23rd March 2009, 15:58   #454
BHPian

Not in the order mentioned

Overated:
01. Wagon R
02. Bolero
03. CRV
04. NHC
05. Alto
06. Fabia - with the current engine options & price
07. Estilo
08. Safari
09. i10
10. Linea - with the current engine options
11. Swift P

Underrated:
01. Fiesta S 1.6
02. Magnum
03. Getz D
04. Palio / Petra
05. Baleno
06. Sonata
07. Vista
08. Cedia
09. Captiva
10. Fusion

Last edited by sushanthr77 : 23rd March 2009 at 16:00.
Old 23rd March 2009, 16:31   #455

Underrated cars:
Hyundai Getz CRDi
Elantra CRDi
Baleno
Fiesta P

Overrated
Linea
I 10
Safari
Laura
Old 23rd March 2009, 16:37   #456
BHPian

@sushanthr77, i don't get it, baleno is in your overrated as well as underrated list.
I feel most underrated car is the baleno altura, barely sold due to its pricing but cbu japan is a pleasure to drive
Old 23rd March 2009, 17:12   #457
Senior - BHPian

Mitsubishi cedia! definately the most under rated car in India.
Old 24th March 2009, 13:56   #458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrit7 View Post
@sushanthr77, i don't get it, baleno is in your overrated as well as underrated list.
I feel most underrated car is the baleno altura, barely sold due to its pricing but cbu japan is a pleasure to drive
I can't find the Baleno in the overrated list!

Or was that Bolero?!!
Old 24th March 2009, 14:25   #459
BHPian

I totally agree with DayTripper with his list of under-rated and over-rated cars. The Ikon 1.6 sure was a fab car but never got the fame it deserved. One car that I would like to add here is:
Maruti Alto: The adjectives that come to mind when talking about the Alto are - tinny, cramped, ugly, down-market etc. Though I don't own one, I had a chance to drive it recently. I was amazed by the capability of the 800cc engine, its relatively solid build compared to cars in its class and its pleasant road manners. It deserves some merit on these grounds.
Old 26th March 2009, 16:57   #460
BHPian

Over-rated:

1. MS Zen Estilo
2. Hyundai i10 1.1 (not kappa)
3. MS Swift Dzire
4. Chevrolet Spark
5. Fiat Linea
6. Indica Vista Petrol

Under-rated

1. MS Baleno (same engine on SX4 sells )
2. Daewoo Matiz
3. Mitsubishi Cedia
4. Hyundai Elantra
5. Fiat Palio 1.6
6. Tata Safari DiCOR
7. Maruti Versa (not a performer or handler but enough practicality for the price)
Old 26th March 2009, 19:59   #461
BHPian

Under-rated:
1. Baleno
2. Palio
3. Getz
5. Cedia

Over-rated:
1. Safari
2. Fabia
3. Linea
4. NHC

Last edited by Meer : 26th March 2009 at 20:00. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 26th March 2009, 20:29   #462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k
Under-rated
1. MS Baleno (same engine on SX4 sells )
The engines on the Baleno and SX4 are not the same. Only thing in common is both being 1600cc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meer
Over-rated:
3. Linea
Usually Fiat cars in India come in the under-rated list on this thread. Linea seems to have bucked the trend by being over-rated.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 26th March 2009 at 20:32.
Old 26th March 2009, 22:38   #463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
The engines on the Baleno and SX4 are not the same. Only thing in common is both being 1600cc.
Sorry I didn't know that. I happened to be in Indonesia last year and found that the SX4 was named "Baleno" there. I thought SX4's engine was a tweaked version of Baleno's. Something like Esteem and Swift.
Old 28th March 2009, 01:53   #464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it?Is the sx4's engine an all new unit?Correct me if i am wrong but as far as i know its the same base motor with a different ECU module and some other minor bits.
Old 28th March 2009, 12:45   #465
Senior - BHPian

The SX4 sports a different series engine altogether. IIRC, it is the M-series, while the Baleno has the G-series.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks