Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2008, 22:15   #406

The Fiat Palio is the most under-rated. Its got everything going for it, but, has been let down by Fiat's poor marketing strategy. The Tata Indica is the most over-rated -sure, we are getting a big car for the money but its only the size not the quality. The new Indica Vista prices are higher in relation to the quality and the engine and that proves my point.
Old 23rd November 2008, 04:39   #407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
so what if its an hyundai buddy? we should not categorize cars because of its origin, thats not fair. maybe you mean that honda's tech is far better than hyundai's, maybe its true but i never meant to compare accord and embera. what i said was the embera has a far better ride quality as compared to the harsh ride in the accord, its only competitor price-wise. the accord has a more sporty suspension setup emphasised on handling. now tell me, who in india is going to speed their 18 lakh car through corners to test its handling? most of such customers are back seat people with chauffers doing the driving and for our indian road condition, whats more necessary than handling is a good ride quality. also, i feel it looked better than the previous generation accord. the new accord is a bit better beacuse of its impressive size but still the embera is a stunner anyday.
yes and that is exactly why the honda accord always sold and still selling Way more than the sonata..
Old 23rd November 2008, 09:55   #408
Senior - BHPian

yes, the accord sells much much much more than the embera any day! thats the reason i termed the embera as an under rated car.
Old 23rd November 2008, 15:03   #409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
so what if its an hyundai buddy?

the accord has a more sporty suspension setup emphasised on handling. now tell me, who in india is going to speed their 18 lakh car through corners to test its handling? most of such customers are back seat people with chauffers doing the driving and for our indian road condition, whats more necessary than handling is a good ride quality.

also, i feel it looked better than the previous generation accord. the new accord is a bit better beacuse of its impressive size but still the embera is a stunner anyday.
Hyundai VS Honda...IT's all about brand equity. Worldwide in that department Honda trumps Hyundai!

I do that to my 18 lakh Accord all the time
And besides everyday I see cars like Accords, Mercs, Camrys, BMs speeding like maniacs on the highways here in Mumbai...Time is money at the end of the day

IMHO the previous gen accord, with the "Cheetah" shape and the long (non LED) Tail lights was the sexiest Accord ever built, thank go I still have her! The new one is way too bling, large, and ugly...>Seems like they forgot their little book on Aerodynamics somewhere along the design process...
Old 26th November 2008, 16:46   #410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
Hyundai VS Honda...IT's all about brand equity. Worldwide in that department Honda trumps Hyundai!

I do that to my 18 lakh Accord all the time
And besides everyday I see cars like Accords, Mercs, Camrys, BMs speeding like maniacs on the highways here in Mumbai...Time is money at the end of the day

IMHO the previous gen accord, with the "Cheetah" shape and the long (non LED) Tail lights was the sexiest Accord ever built, thank go I still have her! The new one is way too bling, large, and ugly...>Seems like they forgot their little book on Aerodynamics somewhere along the design process...
oh man i totally love the old gen. accord u have,its probably the best accord ever made as u said,2 of my friends have them,one has the v6,and the other 2.4. amazing car indeed!
Old 2nd December 2008, 16:03   #411
BHPian

overrated -Scorpio and Underrated - Baleno

Scorpio - why overrated

For the price you pay close to 9 lakh ( I hope its 10.5 for Mhawk)for a fully loaded scorpio if you need to break your back its ridiculous.

Defenitely I would expect better suspension and less body roll for the price of 9 lakhs or more.

It has just got power and looks. People those who buy Scorpio is either get hooked by looks and the initial test drive zip in it. They would have never did a 100 km travel through highways before buying it. Or for that matter anyone who had just been lucky to travel a long drive in Innova would never switch back to scorpio.

But those who have just did a weekend travel, why not just Bangalore - Mysore is more than enough - to testimony - its body roll and hard suspension -even after revised models -

If you need a powerful vehicle to just vrooooooom..or just have fun in city drive..with excellent AC..and pick up....this is the vehicle.

Even the middle row of seats gets the punishment from suspension, what to speak about 3rd row rear seats.

Baleno - why underrated

Mostly by looks, it does not get the heads turned. Looks i mean is just in stock condition. Just upsize the tyre profile and add alloys to Baleno, its the most stunning car.

Best in class engine - handling and reliability. Very smooth and precise steering, no body roll, supension is not bad -

and its a "driver's car" - just be seated in that driver seat - the seating is so excellent that u feel like, its hugging you.

Slick gears - awesome and wonderful AC. What else you need.

Initial price qouting was too high - even though maruti folks reduced it later - by that time everyone lost interest.

Until unless my cousin bought a baleno (2004 - 2.9 lkh) and just upsized tyre with a mag to it, I was never a fan of Baleno - it was stunning.

Looks wise its not only good - but with that low ground clearance it just qualifies for luxurious sedan along with Skoda and others. Cars, if they have to look best, should be close to road, i mean less ground clearance. For that I hate, SX4, what's it - SUV or a pick up vehicle. Very bad replacement for Baleno -

so here baleno scores more point, since its replacement is absurd. Even mileage is not bad if you just maintain your speeds and the vehicle too in mint condition.
Old 2nd December 2008, 18:14   #412
Senior - BHPian

@ prsnck: i am the odd one out-
i have bought the mHAWK after owning the turbo scorpio for 6 years and driving it for 1,20,000 kms. the turbo was more bouncy!
also, i also have an innova too and still i bought another scorpio!

Last edited by raj_5004 : 2nd December 2008 at 18:15.
Old 4th February 2009, 20:55   #413
BHPian

I won't mention the usuals as most of the people have already covered Palio , Lancer and City

The most Overrated :
1. NHC ( non Vtec ) - Had nothing except the efficiency and the "H" badge.I mean no features , featherlight body , no power and not a driver's car. It just had beige interiors which Indians have a fancy for.
2. Wagon R - Again nothing, no fun to drive, zeros looks, plasticky interiors, can't even seat 5 people.

The most Underrated :
1. Opel corsa - not a lot of people have mentioned this car but the 1.6 was a hoot to drive.
2. Alto 1.1 - brilliant handler , great power for it's size , not much space inside but it was such a driver's car , I bought the 800c one myself as MSIL had stopped manufacturing the 1.1 then.
Old 4th February 2009, 23:35   #414
Senior - BHPian

i think nano will make it into this thread soon
Old 5th February 2009, 09:26   #415

The most over rated - Definitely the Corolla.
No doubt its a good car, but thats all it is, good.
There're a lot of those aren't there?
I remember Jeremy Clarkson was testing some Toyota and he said something that has been on mind all this while - "Its like any other Toyota, it does everything very well, but nothing exceptionally well."

The most under rated - I would go with the popular opinion and say the Palio. Other than that, I think the previous generation Optra too wasn't given its fair share of success. Yes, its a Nebula at heart but I drove one for a year or so and I loved it. Other than a fantastic engine, a very well balanced steering and gorgeous looks, it came bloody loaded with accessories.
Old 5th February 2009, 10:20   #416
BHPian

Most over-rated - NHC with its ugly dolphin shape and lousy engine/handling.Expected better from Honda.
Of course,the FIAT 500 takes the cake.Do the head honchos at FIAT have any grey cells at all?

Most under-rated - Elantra CRDi and Baleno.
Old 5th February 2009, 10:28   #417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
i think nano will make it into this thread soon
But what?? Over rated (Which I think it will) or under rated.
Old 5th February 2009, 15:40   #418

Most Under Rated - Fiat Palio / Ford Fusion / Skoda Fabia / Maruti Baleno

Palio - Incredibly powered car, which can be modified very well / Kindof our indian version for the Golf or the Focus.

Fusion - Very Stable mid sized family station wagon.

Baleno - Very Powerful and an amazing runner. Very responsive throttle and a good gear box.

Most Over Rated - Ford Ikon / Hyundai Accent / Mahindra Scorpio / Swift Dezire.

Dont know why these cars came out !
Old 5th February 2009, 15:56   #419
Senior - BHPian

The second gen Honda City is the most overrated especially considering it costed a million rupees. Agreed it had revvy Honda engine and a go kart like steering but what else. It was fragile, the interiors were shocking to say the least and the suspension which was outclassed even by hatchbacks in terms of ride and handling balance and the most insipid looking OEM alloys ever.
The surprising part is that it was bought by doctors and families and not exactly boy racers.... guess it was the design which was very sophisticated.
Old 5th February 2009, 16:33   #420
Senior - BHPian

We're so lucky that the Palio was such a miserable failure or we'd have to complain about all the things we didn't like about it, trivialize the good points and complain how it became a success nevertheless.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks