Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2007, 10:13   #331
Senior - BHPian

overrated-honda city-new,motero,skoda octavia.
underrated-palio,cielo,getz,elantra.
Old 1st November 2007, 10:37   #332
BHPian

Most over rated - Right now SX4.
Under rated - Corolla.
Old 4th November 2007, 02:15   #333

This is going to shock a lot of people but I think the Swift is a bloody over rated car...it looks like a crossed and compressed zen/800.....performance aint all that good no matter what the press say.... On the other hand, the Indigo Marina is a terribly under rated car. I am not a Tata fan but I do have immense respect for them. I think the Indica and all its siblings are the best effort an Indian company can make..........
Old 7th November 2007, 15:12   #334

Come every new launch, we have auto mags and auto-shows going gung-ho over it..best in class, just have an extra half star rating than the segment leader blah blah..and some stats which they themselves may not be able to reproduce. fast forward few months down the line most of these will be hardpressed to meet the numbers and offers/discounts will follow suit. I think it's a collective strategy to create the hype and mint few bucks irrespective of the product credentials..In that sense all new launches are overrated initially and then slip into undersold category..do not want to name and have all owners go-mad..Guess We should salute the old warhorses still selling some good numbers in this new era..like the M800s, Omnis, Ambys, indicas..They all have far outlived the typical shelf life of a indian automobile!
Old 27th November 2007, 17:57   #335
BHPian

Overrated:
Esteem
Scorpio
Zen
Honda City (Old and New)

Underrated by people but hyped by media:
Palio!
Old 28th November 2007, 10:35   #336
aks316

i think chevy aveo is under rated by people and car magazines but its a very good car.. and though i have a honda city zx it is overated and overpriced..

overrated cars - city, laura..
underrated cars - aveo, cedia..

Old 29th November 2007, 21:59   #337
BHPian

i think the most overrated cars now are - Honda City [Old and new]; Santro and now i10 [Autocar just said it was the best small car around, and the pricing alone is Bull how long is a crap Korean manufacturer gonna pull fast ones on the Indian population? when they launched the Verna they didn't phase out the Accent, and priced the Verna above the Accent...and now they're doing the same with the i10, would've been better to phase out the santro and introduce i10 in that price bracket]; Honda Accord [yeas i do own one...so yeah]; Merc C and E class [They suck sooo bad!!!]; Amby [Please stop making them!!!]; Zen Estillo [it's a S**t car!!]; Skoda [yes they're owned by VW, but remember the brand is not German, and is Czech, and any1 who's been to the Czech republic knows that it is the Maruti of that country and the company's history is nothing great...btw it's sposed to be a cheap car in Europe, so dun brag about owning one!!!]; Skoda RS [deserves special mention as a crap car...yes i have driven it...and was hardly impressed!]

Most Underrated cars are - Opel Vectra in it's time [I used to own one, loved it!!!]; Palio Stile; Mitsubishi Cedia; Aveo [it is a really good car]; Forester [Amazing SUV if u wanna call it that...]; Baleno; VW Phaeton and now passat; Volvo S80 [trying to convince my dad to get one, yes to get one instead of the 5 series, A6 or E...]

Well that's just my opion...
Old 29th November 2007, 22:48   #338
VBV
BHPian

Overrated:
Santro, NHC

Underrated:
Old Zen, Palio, Amby(check out the new amby specs),
Old 29th November 2007, 23:29   #339
BANNED

over-rated - skoda octavia
under-rated - hyundai sonata embera
Old 29th November 2007, 23:50   #340
aks316

Seg A- Overated - Zen
Underated - Palio
Overpriced - I10

Seg B - Overated - Swift
Underated - Chevy Aveo UVA
Overpriced - Getz

Seg C - Overated - SX4
Underated - Chevy Aveo
Overpriced - Honda City

Seg D - Overated - Corrolla
Underated - Optra
Overpriced - Skoda Octavia

Luxury Segment - Overated - Laura
Underated - Sonata
Overpriced - Camry

Old 4th December 2007, 23:47   #341
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
Underrated by people but hyped by media:
Palio!
Palio Stile:
Under-rated by the people.
Hyped by the media.
Worshiped in team-bhp!

The car flopped for proper reasons (FIAT), and not because people think its a bad car!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 4th December 2007 at 23:50.
Old 7th December 2007, 02:30   #342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The car flopped for proper reasons (FIAT), and not because people think its a bad car!
I agree. A.S.S being one of the prime factors.
Old 11th December 2007, 19:12   #343
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

tata indica turbo and palio for me are most under rated where as over rated car are maruti all cars!!!
Old 11th December 2007, 22:07   #344
Senior - BHPian

For me the most over-rated car would be something which sells so well even when it has quality issues. According to me, Zen and Swift are not really over-rated as some people pointed out. They simply deserve the success they got. Zen started the B segment in India. Even Estilo doesn't have the quality the old Zen had. And Swift changed the way cars looked in India.
And I agree with people on the most under-rated cars. Nice cars such as Palio 1.6 and Baleno are really underrated
Old 12th December 2007, 09:11   #345

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
For me the most over-rated car would be something which sells so well even when it has quality issues. According to me, Zen and Swift are not really over-rated as some people pointed out. They simply deserve the success they got. Zen started the B segment in India. Even Estilo doesn't have the quality the old Zen had. And Swift changed the way cars looked in India.
And I agree with people on the most under-rated cars. Nice cars such as Palio 1.6 and Baleno are really underrated
I agree with your comment on Palio 1.6GTX as the most under-rated car. But what is so great about Baleno? To my surprise my experience is different about Baleno inspite of what I was made to believe by Autocar or Overdrive.

I have a GTX and still close to my heart even after I bought a Civic 1.8V. I drive my NRI neighbour's 1+ year old (almost new since he rarely uses it) Baleno on weekends when he is out of India every year for months to keep it going . In my opinion the only thing good about Baleno is ride comfort and nothing else. I am really surprised about its sheer lack of urgency to accelerate (contrary to Autocar report) and I have to crawl to get in and get out inspite of being short! I do not like its engine note and never felt the engine is very refined compard to other Suzuki engines. But it scores very high in ride quality compared to my GTX and my wife's Getz 1.3GLS. Infact Getz 1.3 engine is much more refined and produces much less noise but ride quality is bad, even GTX is better than that. My neighbour fills always 97 Octane for Baleno and insists on it. I mix 97 and 87 Octane and use for GTX and Civc occssionaly (Generally use shell premium )and pure 87 for Getz.

Again I felt CIVIC is little overrated! It is a very comfortable car and very refined, but lacks low end torque and do not feel safe like an Octavia/ Laura.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks