Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2021, 15:14   #676
BHPian

Re: 7-seater Hyundai Alcazar launching in June 2021. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 16.30 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
As a matter of fact, my Creta’s clutch became terribly hard @ 45k kms, and this being a Petrol Creta. I got it replaced soon after.

There are numerous stories on a dedicated thread of Hyundai’s poor quality. Again, I am referring specifically to the Hyundai cars. If Hyundai doesn’t give a crap about the pathetic braking of the 1st gen Creta considering it to be a safety aspect; I wonder what else is improved by Hyundai in last 5-6 years!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Hyundai has the softest clutch action, but definitely the most number of complaints from BHPians on premature clutch failures too. You can see some of those complaints compiled in this post.

For a Hyundai to be used in heavy traffic - I'd simply pick the AT (Torque converter AT, to be specific) as a no-brainer considering clutch replacement is not covered under warranty.
This is helpful information guys. I am seriously considering the Alcazar and Safari. And the balance seems to be tilting in favour of the Safari.

I am looking for a 7 seater diesel automatic. In the first place, there is only one such option on Alcazar which is the base Prestige (O) version. Going with this means I don't get the hyped digital display cluster, no bose speakers, no blind spot detection etc. - essentially the bells and whistles that give the Alcazar an edge over the Safari.

I was seriously considering the Alcazar Platinum manual diesel as an alternative. But these clutch related issues means I will have to drop that thought.

In fact, now that you guys mention it, my in-laws have the first gen i20 and that too had a clutch replacement around the 50K mark. It has never been the same since.

One of the major criteria in favour of Hyundai (in my mind at least) was niggle-free, low maintenance, peaceful ownership experience. Now I am wondering if there is really such a big difference between the two
charade is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 16:14   #677
Senior - BHPian

Re: 7-seater Hyundai Alcazar launching in June 2021. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 16.30 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by charade View Post
This is helpful information guys. I am seriously considering the Alcazar and Safari. And the balance seems to be tilting in favour of the Safari.
Now I am wondering if there is really such a big difference between the two
The diesel AT Safari with 170bhp is a no brainer over the Alcazar in terms of sheer engine power. However the Alcazar may be a more “manageable”vehicle in the urban environs. But one must be prepared to use a car with a leisurely performance with full load.
fhdowntheline is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 16:15   #678
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now I am wondering if there is really such a big difference between the two
If you are comparing TATA and Hyundai and saying the above statement, think 100 times before making a decision. Else, TATA s will make you realize the difference within 1-2 months of purchase.

I am not saying Hyundai is 100% free from lemons. There are lemons here and there and gets highlighted too. But TATAs have wholesale lemon Market

That is the difference in my opinion

Last edited by gkveda : 20th June 2021 at 16:23.
gkveda is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 18:10   #679
BHPian

Quote:
One of the major criteria in favour of Hyundai (in my mind at least) was niggle-free, low maintenance, peaceful ownership experience.
The above statement does not apply to ‘newly launched’ Hyundai. You can ask me any bloody problem associated with the 1st gen Hyundai Creta, & I can assure you that I have already seen that with my car. I have also shared those in the seperate thread mentioned by crazy driver.

With this experience, I actually learnt a lesson & would try and hold myself from purchasing any newly launched car within the first 6 months; let alone a Hyundai. That, is for sure NO!

Last edited by ashvek3141 : 20th June 2021 at 18:11.
ashvek3141 is online now   (20) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 20:22   #680
Senior - BHPian

Looks like another winner from Hyundai. The thing is, it wont matter if the third row is good or bad, the car oozes of quality inside out, which is a differentiating factor in my opinion. Don't think anyone out in market to buy a 6 seater will compare this with the XL-6 and in that sense, the pricing appears fine.

I liked how they tried to differentiate the Creta from the Alcazar as far as looks are concerned by changing the rear end completely, wish they were more creative with the front as well.

Off-topic:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
1.5L CRDI Alcazar review. I know he is not the best reviewer,
A good walk-through video in my opinion is the one which saves a casual trip to the showroom after watching it. I am not associated with him, but I find his product walk-throughs pretty good technically (video editing, sound, narration, clarity etc.) for his experience and the fact that he does most of the part himself just out of hobby. Hope he joins the big guys in future.

Last edited by NiInJa : 20th June 2021 at 20:24.
NiInJa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 01:23   #681
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
The 6/7 seater segment in a glance:
Great comparison! While it seems from the comparison that there is a car for every need already present in the market, my bet would still be that the Alcazar will blow away the competition. For one, the pricing is killer, it has both petrol and diesel fully loaded options in the 6 seater variant unlike the Tata and the Mahindras, and of course Hyundai is known for its list of features, fit and finish and overall refinement. These will mask the weakness of the diesel mill.

Also, I am not sure how much the average car buyer understands things like power and torque. Even the Triber is underpowered and it still sells. So even with a weak diesel, the Alcazar can still take on the other diesels since it is priced lower. As for safety, reliability and other aspects, on the whole I have seen that there are issues with almost every car from every other manufacturer as well, although the number of issues being reported for Hyundai cars seems to have gone up in recent times. However, even with all their recent issues, there are hardly any negative mentions of Hyundai in the media so it is very unlikely that someone who is not a petrolhead will be aware of these issues, which of course means that this will not be a factor in their purchase decision.

I also believe that the Alcazar's competition will primarily be the Hector+, XUV 500, Safari and Marazzo. I believe that the segment looking to buy an Ertiga/XL6 or Triber is different and they would not have the Alcazar in their consideration set in the first place. Innova again is a different breed and while there may be some cross shopping with the other cars in the list, most prospective Innova buyers are not looking at any other car.

So in conclusion, I expect the Alcazar to be a rip roaring success. In my opinion it also has decent, albeit boring looks. Speaking of which, am I the only one who thinks that the tail lights and overall rear design has some similarity with the Hexa?
Neversaygbye is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 10:51   #682
BHPian

The MG Hector has Beige Interior panels
The MG Hector plus replaced it with Light Brown

Now Hyundai Creta has Beige interior panels
Hyundai Alcazar replaced it with Light Brown

While we blame other manufacturers copying each other I think Hyundai has established it's "Signature style" and then takes a reference of other cars and applies this 'style' on it to make it different. This includes the Kia and Genesis (who has the same designer who designed the Bentleys)

That being said, I do not seem to like the extended version of the compact SUVs (except for the TUV and Land Rovers).

The Alcazar's front end chrome treatment looks like someone had a glass of (silver laced) milk and forgot to wipe its mouth where it got stuck. The tooth braced grille is too much (this car needs those InvisAlign treatment of the other thread) and looks a bit similar to the XUV 500's smaller braced grille. The rear of Creta though odd, was distinctive. This one isn't.

Also in India I've seen the bigger the car, the lesser the occupants. 8 people in an Alto and 1-2 in these big luxury SUVs. I like the quirky Creta when compared to this. If it's gotta be quirky, then let it be full on!

Last edited by RavSam : 21st June 2021 at 10:52.
RavSam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 11:27   #683
Senior - BHPian

Nothing worth mentioning about the Alacazar. Just the same Creta which has been stretched a little. In my honest opinion, I don't think it will dent the Innova's volumes in any way. People buying the Creta may stretch for this one but it will not pick up the market of Innova/Marazzo. Cannot be a taxi car by any chance as well. It doesn't come cheap too. It may beat the Innova by a slight margin in fuel efficiency but I don't think the maintenance will be as trouble free as an Innova. Hyundai cars have a maintenance cost that is higher than the average cars in the segment.
Old 21st June 2021, 11:32   #684
Senior - BHPian

Have you noticed the Alcazar TV ads which first shows 2 people and then additional 2 more adults. No mention of last bench or fitting more adults there. Irony that people are considering this is a good 6-7 seater option whereas Hyundai itself focusing on 4 adults and the bling and not even acknowledging the extra row as being people friendly . Eye opener, isn't it?
Aviator_guy is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 15:47   #685
BHPian

So after going through ample informational posts, articles and videos on Alcazar, I can summarize that the Alcazar doesn't inspire any feel of grandeur life in me. My reason for this not being a great product are as follows:

1. An Extended Creta: This is a very simple fact and everything that is there in the Creta has trickled down to the Alcazar. So except two unusable seats, no matter the seating option(unless you have children or want extra boot space), a fancier MID and a 360 camera, I don't find much difference between the two. And although, even few of the D1 segment cars do not do great in terms of 3rd row seating, they offer a lot of more in terms of driveability and bling. And I cannot begin to elucidate the comical nature of naming the car after a Castle with such a cramped 3rd row

2. The Build Quality: Alcazar as well as the Creta, is built on the same platform as Kia Seltos and its not much of an argument here that the Kia Cousin was barely able to get 3 stars, I believe with a 0.03 margin. It's comical that even though Hyundai claims to use 78% of High strength steel in their cars, still cars like Kia(Creta shares the same platform) have an unstable body shell. And Hyundai, much like our beloved Maruti Suzuki, do not want to send their cars for a crash test as they claim that they can have two elephants on top of their car, so there's that.

3.The Diesel Mill: Having a Creta in my family, I have driven the Diesel Sx(o) frequently and in my honest opinion, that engine on the Creta is just sufficient. Plonking on 80 kgs more than the Creta on Alcazar plus the added weight of more passengers(the company calls it a 6/7 seater), it would be a disaster on hilly areas as well as for a driving enthusiast. Also, who would want to spend north of 20 lakhs on a 1.5 oil burner with 113bhp and 250 Nm torque. I mean cars, which are a segment below such as Nexon and XUV3OO, produce more of these specs.

4. Better Alternatives: Let's come to the conclusion here, Alcazar on the contemporary market has a lot of better alternatives. If you want a petrol mill specifically, Hector would be a better choice as it's a segment above much like Harrier, with all the bling as well. If you want a oil burner, Safari, Harrier or even the base Jeep would be far better in terms of driveability, albeit reliability with Tata has been a perennial issue( The recent Hyundai clutch issues and the ABS problems do not inspire much confidence either). And if you purely want a people mover, we have the Big daddy of all, the Innova in the higher segment or the XL6, Ertiga or the Marrazo in the lower segments. Both Innova and Marazzo offer a far comfortable cabin experience in the rear seats.

Although, I am fully aware of the numbers that Alcazar is going to bring in for HMIL, I find that it would, probably, cannibalize the sales of Creta(as the prospective Creta buyers would consider it as an upgrade) rather than it making a dent on either the Innova or Ertiga/XL6 sales figures.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SaferCarsForIndia-Seltos-factsheet.pdf (572.8 KB, 162 views)
Moto_Bear is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 16:22   #686
BHPian

Alcazar makes sense for the petrol variant despite at a premium due to the 2L petrol engine. However for the diesel, it is way too overpriced in Bangalore and underpowered. I feel creta itself isn't worth 20-22L and this does not feel VFM at all.

25L for a 1.5L diesel engine. No thanks, I'd go with the bigger boys such as XUV500/Safari/Innova crysta or a used Endeavour 3.2 TDCi. Size wise too, these 4 cars make more sense rather than having a cramped 3 row vehicle.

I seriously can't fathom how carmakers price their cars so much!
jithin23 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 16:30   #687
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueTwist View Post
Had been to Hyundai Stockyard couple of days back to have a look at the Alcazar. Car looked promising and composed. Though the third row is a tight fit for a fully grown adults to be comfortable, short journey could be managed and thanks for the middle row sliding seats. Over all the dimensions looked good. It sure will sell in good numbers. The only disappointment being the 1.5L diesel engine specs!!!

Attachment 2168614

Is it only me or that rear profile is strikingly similar to the Ford Endeavour's? Don't know whether it is to make that SUV effect or what, but it is a welcome change from the Creta's ugly rear profile. (No offence to the owners).

Last edited by Vid6639 : 21st June 2021 at 17:48. Reason: fixing the quote tags. thanks
Piyush19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 17:12   #688
BHPian

Checked Alcazar yesterday at Laxmi Hyundai Kukatpally, on sole purpose of evaluating third row comfort.

I am hugely disappointed. After all the hype, the outcome was not great.

Knees up seating position and lack of thigh support means third row is only for small kids, if they are ok to sit there.

After checking all 7 seater vehicles in the market, I rank them like below based on the third row comfort.

Xylo > Marazzo > Innova > Ertiga > Triber > Safari
RaceHorse is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 18:06   #689
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceHorse View Post
After checking all 7 seater vehicles in the market, I rank them like below based on the third row comfort.

Where would you put Alcazar in your list ?
JediKnight is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 18:22   #690
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceHorse View Post
I regard your opinion. but I have used to Ertiga extensively and no where the 3rd row comfort is comparable to Safari. Ertiga is cramped and only for kids aged lesser than 10-12.
IMO, Safari 3rd row comfortableness is almost near to Innova in space and seating arrangements. I have TD Safari with all my nephews, all are above 185 cms. after some adjustments with 1 & 2nd rows. we were (all 6 foot) very comfortable in all 3 rows for the entire TD of 1.5 hours which made the deal
aks_karthik is offline   (12) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks