Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy one today?
Yes 540 75.95%
No 171 24.05%
Voters: 711. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2020, 14:46   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)

Voted Yes, the only thing with getting a pre owned Jetta is to be mentally prepared for generic issues and one needs to know a good independent garage to get the car serviced and repaired if some issue crops up. Sending the car to VW workshops is a disappointing experience.

There are some generic part failures like water pump, battery but on the whole, the car is pretty solid and does not have the suspension and brake related issues which the cheaper siblings like Polo/Vento have. The 2.0 TDi mill coupled with the 6 speed DSG or manual is a pretty good package.
coolboy007 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 15:02   #17
BHPian

Voted "NO"
Though i like this car, and some aspects of it. I'm not totally comfortable with buying used car that was discontinued. Instead of this, i would prefer used octavia any day because of its road presence, parts availability etc.
ramki.grandhi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 15:14   #18
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Voted Yes. I secretly wish to own this car some day.

My friend owns a 2011 Jetta Highline AT which is nearing 1 lakh kms. Car costed him 21 lakhs OTR. No DSG/Mechatronic issues so far! He's extremely happy with the car inspite of parts being on the expensive side. Back when it launched, Jetta Highline came with 8 Airbags, VW then quietly deleted 2 airbags later on!
PPS is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 15:17   #19
BHPian

Voted Yes.
This is undoubtedly THE BEST D segment sedan ever sold in India. Those who have it and take good care of her can literally keep her forever. However to those who wish to get one from the pre-owned markets look for the newer ones (not more than 4 years) and make sure the previous owner took good care. Because if he had abused it you'll definitely pay the price.
Flyer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 15:59   #20
Senior - BHPian

Voted Yes. It is definetely worth for 4-6 lakhs. But when I checked my area, decent examples are in 7-8 lakh range. At that price I don't think it is worth. Mumbai seems to have low used car prices.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 5th June 2020 at 16:02.
padmrajravi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 16:02   #21
BHPian

Voted Yes!!

Brought a ~35K KMs run 2014 model Jetta HL TDI in April 2018 and no major issues to report after 2 years and 25K Kms ownership.

Everything is stock, except tyres which I changed @35K Kms to Michelin with OEM size. It was a lateral upgrade from Vento 1.6TDI and as said earlier in the forum they are two different cars.

What my family and I like

1. Excellent pick-up and fuel economy, even after dieselgate fix
2. Spacious cabin both front & back
3. Love the combination of Engine and DSG combination, not even once it missed a beat, even during once in a while spirited drive.
4. Very good breaking and confidence inspiring on highway speed.
5. Matured ride and road handling at high speed
6. Bi-xenon headlamps with AFS, LED DRLs, dual-zone climate control
7. Surprisingly road clearance was never an issue and able to clear almost all road humps without any issues.

Issues faced

Only issue faced is with fuel lid lock system (needed replacement at Rs.~4K) and replaced brake pads and battery. All these were just after purchase of the car.

What I didn't like

The sound system is not that great, 8 speaker system is good, but nothing more. However I am yet find a good replacement, I need something OEM or Android with very good sound quality. RCD 340G is ruled out, my experience in vento is not so great on sound quality.

Upgrades

Changed HID to osram nightbreaker unlimited, which improved visibility during late night drive on highway. Worth the USD$200 spent on them.

Last edited by manjubp : 5th June 2020 at 16:31.
manjubp is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 16:16   #22
Senior - BHPian

Voted Yes.

But the prices I feel are quite bloated in the market. So hard to believe the OP showcasing a car with 65k kms for ₹4.5 lakhs. I would jump for that. A random check on OLX etc usually shows prices for a Highline DSG between 9 to 14 lakhs in Tamil Nadu, which is simply too much for a discontinued second hand car, especially models which are 6-8 years old. The other option is to look for a car run over a lakh kms for cheaper prices which is against most advises.

Maybe I should start shopping for examples in Mumbai

Last edited by Turbohead : 5th June 2020 at 16:43. Reason: Added the age of the car for the prices mentioned.
Turbohead is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 16:21   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Voted Yes.

But the prices I feel are quite bloated in the market. So hard to believe the OP showcasing a car with 65k kms for ₹4.5 lakhs. I would jump for that. A random check on OLX etc usually shows prices for a Highline DSG between 9 to 14 lakhs in Tamil Nadu, which is simply too much for a discontinued second hand car. The other option is to look for a car run over a lakh kms for cheaper prices which is against most advises.

Agree. I paid almost ₹14 lakhs for 3.5 years old TDI HL with 35K kms, that too in non-metro city. I couldn't find a good car below ₹12L in Bangalore. Even today it is not cheap to get a decent pre-owned Jetta in Bangalore market.
manjubp is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 16:42   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
Agree. I paid almost ₹14 lakhs for 3.5 years old TDI HL with 35K kms, that too in non-metro city. I couldn't find a good car below ₹12L in Bangalore. Even today it is not cheap to get a decent pre-owned Jetta in Bangalore market.
That's roughly over 30% depreciation which is excellent for a D segment car. And it's acceptable for an amazing car!
Old 5th June 2020, 16:43   #25
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Voted - YES.

Only thing I am uncomfortable with is the fact that it is a CBU and spares would be difficult to source and expensive in the long run.

This is a good used car bargain for experienced drivers rather than newbies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Voted Yes.

But the prices I feel are quite bloated in the market. So hard to believe the OP showcasing a car with 65k kms for ₹4.5 lakhs. I would jump for that. A random check on OLX etc usually shows prices for a Highline DSG between 9 to 14 lakhs in Tamil Nadu, which is simply too much for a discontinued second hand car, especially models which are 6-8 years old. The other option is to look for a car run over a lakh kms for cheaper prices which is against most advises.

Recently there was a company owned 50k run 2015 HL in kolkata for 7 Lac or so. Ad was on our very own T-BHP classifieds.

Last edited by Tgo : 5th June 2020 at 16:46.
Tgo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 16:46   #26
Senior - BHPian

Jetta Like the innova is a great car to buy new. In 2012, the car was OTR at 21 lakhs. Now the highine DSG Diesel is not available in the 2nd hand market or if available, ~1lakh KMs run 8 year old cars are costing 10-12 Lakhs. Thus thoroughly non practical. A C-class of the same vintage will be cheaper to buy.

Last edited by wildsdi5530 : 5th June 2020 at 16:48. Reason: additional info
wildsdi5530 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 17:26   #27
Senior - BHPian

My ex car,

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...-now-sold.html (My VW Jetta Highline TDI - Tempest Blue. EDIT: Now sold!)

Which was handed over in the family, I might just get it back as the prices are too good, 2 TDI with the petes tune was crazy good specially with the slick MT.

I surely miss the self parking feature in my 530d.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 18:32   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

My vote goes for a resounding YES!

My Jetta has done 75K km as of date and though I have had to spend on certain items due to wear and tear (the car has covered 7 states and also sees village roads) I still plan to keep her for another 2-3 years

Here's the list of items changed:

- All four wheel bearings since the rims were bent and caused additional strain

- Gearbox mount most probably due to a rabbit hitting the front left side at quite a high speed

- Water pump. This is frankly the only out of the blue reliability issue I faced and it took around 7K to set it right which is reasonable

Wheel speed sensors (2 of them) were also replaced for a small sum.

Apart from this, no issues whatsoever in these 5.5 years. The car has been an absolute delight. Got her remapped by Quantum and she is now belting out 180 bhp and 400 nm at crank

A suspension and clutch job and some work on the headliner cloth is pending as part of the mid life overhaul for this car. Will be undertaken shortly and will also update the ownership review

Here's a pic of her for the time being:
Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)-img_20200605_182151.jpg
vishy76 is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 18:45   #29
Senior - BHPian

I will say one thing - VW is not the best when it comes to after sales and this is true even if you have one of the better dealers. For instance, it took almost a week to get a replacement mirror for our Polo, which is still in production!

If you're willing to put up with such annoyances, the car itself is a winner.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 18:48   #30
BHPian

Voted 'No', because its a VW. Maybe in 20 years, if my anger over the emissions scandal dies down, then perhaps I could consider a VAG product. As of now, the pros and cons of the car don't matter to me because of the company that makes it. Skoda's threats to TBHP don't really elevate their image in my mind, either. I see VW as corrupted to their core.

Last edited by vipul_singh : 5th June 2020 at 18:53.
vipul_singh is offline   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks