Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: How long do you plan to hold onto your current car?
Till my car is 2 - 3 years old 11 0.73%
Till my car is 4 - 5 years old 123 8.22%
Till my car is 6 - 7 years old 240 16.03%
Till my car is 8 - 9 years old 221 14.76%
Till my car is 10 (or higher) years old 902 60.25%
Voters: 1497. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2022, 10:57   #361
BHPian

Re: Your car's age: How long do you plan to hold onto your current car?

I've a Kizashi (CNG) which is sort of a rare car. So i plan to keep it for the maximum time (15 years here in Delhi). It just completed its 10 years (on 1st Dec), so will keep it for another 3-4 years and then sell it so that i can salvage some value out of it. Currently its at
75k Km.

My other cars, I've sold them around 7-8 years mark after completing 100k Km.
TB16 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2023, 07:37   #362
BHPian

Just got myself a new Brezza, for which the loan itself runs for 5 years. My aim was to get a car that might suit me for the next stage in my life - as in, I only need a hatchback now and would need a bigger car only a few years later. So why not just get the bigger car now itself and eliminate the need to upgrade within 2-3 years from now.

Assuming I do not foreclose the loan (which i might though), I want to keep the car for at least 5 years after it's free from EMIs. I don't care too much about resale value or E20 protocols as long as the car works reasonably fine, and I'm able to to clock upwards of 150K kms on it over more than a decade.

It's a naturally aspirated Suzuki engine with a torque converter gearbox, so probably the most reliable of combos in the sub-4m space. Also, going by how car prices and taxes are shooting up, I'm ok with spending on repairs over the next decade as compared to spending exponentially more to buy a new car.

That's my aim - a minimum of 10 years and 150K kms. Anything more will surely be a bragging point too. So that I can tell myself that the car has really achieved its purpose in life.

Last edited by Small Bot : 16th February 2023 at 07:54.
Old 16th February 2023, 08:10   #363
Team-BHP Support

Depends on which car.

BMW 3GT:
Would like to keep this for 9-12 years depending on how it holds up.

Meridian:
Will sell this in 3 - 5 years, unlikely to hold beyond warranty period. Really not keen on owning a modern diesel car longer than I need to and this was with the potential of being a stop gap product - hopefully in another 3 years plus we’ll have better stability and clarity on petrol ethanol mix policy & its implementation as well a wider range of EV offerings.

I expect the replacement to both these cars to be a strong hybrid / EV along with a petrol. It could also be strong hybrid and EV combo. Of the two car garage combo, in all likelihood, one vehicle will be an SUV / MUV / Crossover and the other will be a sedan or spacious hatch / crossover.
Old 22nd June 2023, 14:54   #364
BHPian

My Ex - Toyota Fortuner GX 2.7 4x4 AT had to be let go by me due to relocation issues at work.
I have a Honda Activa i - Beater, bought in May 2015. Beater has been doing the duties of local to intercity drives for me till recent times. 27k kms to the odo till now and miles to go
I've bought a Tata Altroz XZ+ DCA - Optimus recently June 2023. I intend to keep Optimus, touchwood without any issues, as long as he serves me well. 500 odd kms and wish he sees close to the EW kms range

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
No time limit for me as such. I keep any vehicle till it serves me well with not too much of a headache in maintaining it. Normal servicing is fine, if it starts giving too much trouble, say garage visits, then it’s time for it to go. I believe, love your vehicle and all but never forget that the car is there to serve us, not for us to serve it.

Cheers
I echo the views of Cyborg. Maintain your machines well and on time. Keep them in pristine condition during the usage time with minimal downtime. But don't tend to get over attached to your vehicle is my view. I usually use the assets in my extended family and almost all share more or less the same opinion. Some are still holding on to 10+ years old vehicles. There is still the trusted 800 in which me and many in our family got to learn/perfect our driving skills. He is due for second renewal in 2025 and still in prime running condition than many new steeds in our extended stable.
Old 22nd June 2023, 17:00   #365
Senior - BHPian

I currently drive a 2008 Palio stile (Pre owned car purchased in 2015) and it still drives like a gem. Yearly maintenance on an average is around 10-12k which is fine. I had plans to sell it and buy a new car this year but owing to some personal reasons I have shelved it until atleast 2025.

Recently it has got a new stablemate, a SM650 to keep me occupied and hopefully take on new roads.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2023, 18:03   #366
BHPian

I currently drive a Honda City 3rd gen (late 2010 model). Completed 12 years already and works just fine. Just regular service and maintenance till now. The only additional expense was that the clutch master cylinder failed once after 1L km. Got the master and slave cylinder replaced. Still on it's original clutch at 115K - not sure how much more it will last. I also got the suspension overhaul done from an FNG at around 110K when I felt that the ride was becoming really harsh.

I intend to keep this till 15 years for sure. If it still remains trouble free, then maybe another 5 or 10 years - why replace if it works fine without burning a hole in the pocket.

We are notorious for keeping our vehicles till eternity. My 1997 Hero Honda Splendor which I used during my college days is still at home. It is nearing 25 years now and is due for it's 3rd re-registration It still starts with one kick.

The other car we had was a Santro (my father's car) which we exchanged once it reached 15 years because my father wanted an automatic. It was still trouble free when we sold it.
ar@v1nd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2023, 17:36   #367

Great thread!

My Terrano's age is close to 8 years. Though it has been only a year since I bought it used (at 82k kms). The car runs well and it was approved by a couple of mechanics before I went on and purchased it.

But I always get this question about how long will this machine run trouble free?

Considering it's age, fuel type (Diesel) and the kilometers on the odo (89k kms), how long should I plan on keeping it without it burning a hole in my wallet?
Old 11th August 2023, 18:10   #368
BHPian

Vento 1.6 Petrol automatic, bought in 2013, run about 70000 kms. No complaints, still runs and looks great. Plan to use for another 3-4 years. My only concern will be the e20 fuel destroying the engine when it's everywhere.
click is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2023, 19:49   #369
Senior - BHPian

Got my Vista on 27th Dec 2011. Manufactured Dec 2011. Has run 2,07,000 kms. Got the interiors spruced up last year. Got its second timing chain replaced last month, one engine mount and the front shock absorbers, EGR cleaned, replaced the original clutch at 1.70L.

Have used it like a truck, on road, off road, fully loaded etc. Had decided to give it away and so picked up a 2014 Pajero Sport (thanks to vigsom) who helped me sift through over 30 examples across the country. But some things never leave you. I realised that I had misplaced the RC book after finalising the price with a dealer.

I guess it will stay with me for some more time. 12 years and many a memorable trip.

Last edited by discoverwild : 11th August 2023 at 19:51.
discoverwild is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2023, 21:03   #370
BHPian

The mileage on my cars is very low due to my frequent abroad trips and the usual drill of disconnecting negative terminal of battery and putting the car cover just before going to airport has been a routine for many decades.

Due to the above reason I keep my car to the end of life as much as possible which is between 10 to 15 years.

My personal opinion is that one needs to keep pace with the technology but unfortunately to my knowledge there are no great ground breaking technological innovations that happened in the automobile industry in the past 20 years. ABS, air bags, radial tyres, alloy wheels, automatic transmission , cruise control etc have been there for a very long time now. I don’t see a point in changing the car if your car has all the features and the mileage is low like in my case.

Also what surprises me is that I see very rarely people getting their cars painted and it looks like it is a norm in the modern world to scrape the car with its original paint. I feel that we are not doing justice to the limited resources we have on this planet and preserve the resources for the posterity to enjoy automobiles like us now.

I sold my Scorpio VLX after 12 years. Now owning Crysta Z and intend to use it for at least 10 to 15 years.

My personal observation is that the number of Petrolheads who prefer to self drive automobiles is decreasing with the easy availability of call drivers, UBER, inter city OLA, zoom cars, multi-axle Volvo buses, high speed trains, flight options existing now for even less than 100 kms.
Mystic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2023, 21:44   #371
BHPian

I voted for 10 Years or higher. My first car Santro Xing was sold after 17 years. Current car is VW Vento TDI in 12th year and planning to keep for another 2 years minimum.

PS: My honda activa is in its 21st year still going strong

Last edited by AutoInt : 11th August 2023 at 21:45.
Old 14th August 2023, 14:48   #372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
We typically keep our cars atleast till 15years, if not more :
1) 1985 M800 sold after 19years in 2004.
2) 1999 M800 Dx sold at 15years in 2014.
3) My 2005 Baleno1.6 completed 15yrs this March, has been re-registered after FC test for another 5 years.
4) Swift1.3 Zxi is at 13years now - won't be sold before 15.
Baleno going strong at 18+ years. Plan to keep it.

Swift also had it's FC done last year and is 16years old. This might be sold if we get a new car.
supremeBaleno is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2023, 18:05   #373
BHPian

Honda City 2010 (3rd gen) - 12 years and 115K kms done. Totally trouble free and even after 1L+ kms still feels fresh to drive. Got suspension work also done recently. Planning to keep her around till 15 years for sure, actually maybe till 20 years. If parts are available and she doesn't give too much trouble, I really dont see the need to let her go.

A Star Automatic 2013 - This one just crossed 10 years and 58K. This was bought for my wife to learn driving and she's driving it around now. This is a nice little city runabout and it's decently fuel efficient for an old school TC automatic. I think I'll keep the car till 15 years.
ar@v1nd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2023, 09:56   #374

I've got a Honda City 4th gen, bought in 2017. Recently made some enhancements like tyre and ICE upgrade, installation of dashcams etc. Also, moved from hometown to Bangalore and paid the "lifetime" tax here. The car itself has run moderately and has been completely fuss free so far. I am planning to keep it for at least another 6-7 years, maybe 9-10!

Also, planning for a second car for certain road trips where the city seems like an unideal car to drive.
Old 16th August 2023, 02:04   #375
BHPian

I have a Next-Gen Hyundai Verna (2018) and given that it is my first car and given that it was bought for me by my late grandfather, I plan to keep the car for as long as possibly can. Even for a 5+ year old car it runs beautifully and I maintain it as best as I can so that it lasts longer.
Ghost131100 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks