Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: How long do you plan to hold onto your current car?
Till my car is 2 - 3 years old 11 0.73%
Till my car is 4 - 5 years old 123 8.22%
Till my car is 6 - 7 years old 240 16.03%
Till my car is 8 - 9 years old 221 14.76%
Till my car is 10 (or higher) years old 902 60.25%
Voters: 1497. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2021, 09:50   #316
BHPian

Re: Your car's age: How long do you plan to hold onto your current car?

Used to own 2005 Ford iKon 1.8D, sold in 2012 due to excessive maintenance costs.

Currently own 2010 Laura (36k kms). No plans of selling it anytime soon.
2016 grand i10 (23k kms), 2017 Merc GLA (9k kms), 2021 Innova coming soon. Rest three are going to stay for more than 10 years.

So yeah if there was an option of ticking 15-20 years, would have done that.
Old 4th March 2021, 16:34   #317
BHPian

Well,we keep the car for every 4-5 years from the day of purchase.The same we have been doing with our present Innova and Honda City,which were bought used in 2016 and 2017 respectively.

We generally get bored of having same cars within 3 years of its usage but due to some circumstances,we had to keep our cars for atleast 4-5 years.

The last car,which we sold was a 2012 VW Vento TDI,which we bought used in 2013 when the odo was just 12000 Kms and used it till early-2017 by doing 1L Kms in it.

While,our present 2011 Innova was bought in 2nd half of 2016 when the odo was just 76000 Kms and already done 1L Kms in almost 5 years of its usage.Since we are completing 5 years with the Innova,its time to sell it off and buy a Diesel crossover AT or a Crysta,mostly by this year.

Another car which we have is 2014 Honda City Diesel,which was bought in 2nd half of 2017 when the odo was 35000 Kms and we did 70,000 Kms in almost 4 years of its usage.We might keep this car for atleast 1 year before upgrading to a new car,preferably a Petrol.
car_guy1998 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2021, 20:43   #318
BANNED

Retaining the car until I'm alive.
Skoda octavia 1.9D 2003
Tata Indigo CS (D) 2003
Alto 2001
M800 - Dsl 1986
M800 - PET 1989
all the above mentioned cars have been with me or my family.
No plans of selling them since they've served us very well. Even if govt would bring the scrapping rule for real, it would be a very disappointing but a heart breaking point. At that time, considering that I'm still alive, maybe I'll decide. So I'm sticking on to these. Thanks.
pdpyen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2021, 23:58   #319
BHPian

My i10 Magna Kappa2 just turned 10. I invested in a new bluetooth audio (got a dirt cheap deal on AutoCop), replaced all four rusted speakers, installed rear parking sensors and added some stickers and bumper bits.
Also, I changed the floor mats, seat covers, replaced the AC and installed the Creta's horn. And finally got some aeroblade wipers.
Suddenly the car feels exciting to drive again. And I find myself taking it for a 20+ km spin every weekend.
Old 1st August 2021, 09:24   #320
Ice
BHPian

Voted 10+ years.
We’ve got some old timers in our garage.

My Fortuner (2010) 160,000km. - my daily drive. Recent upgrades:
- Sony HU with Apple Carplay and new speakers
- new windshield
- changed front suspension
- renewed 3M anti-corrosion and paint protection
Not going anywhere anytime soon.

Innova (2006) 240,000km. - my father’s daily use car. Driver-driven by the same person who drove it home from the showroom 15 years ago. Again, ticking along beautifully. Recently re-upholstered but that’s about it.

Ambassador Mark III (1976) - 930,000km. - my grandfather’s car running a Matador Diesel engine since it’s dieselization 3 days after delivery. Bumper to bumper refurbishment in 2020, and runs every weekend.
Ice is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 10:52   #321
BANNED

I am driving 3 year old Maruti Dzire VDI. At the current fuel cost, no plans of changing the vehicle
Mostly i will upgrade to EV after 6-7years and hope the infrastructure will be up by the time.
Old 1st August 2021, 12:50   #322
BHPian

We currently have two cars in the stable, a Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8G (2009) and a Jeep Compass (2018). Sold a Swift Dzire Vxi after owning it from 2011 to 2019 with 76,000 kms on the ODO.

The Altis has been my closest companion and sports a ODO with just 87,000 kms after almost 11 years now. With the Dzire that we used for local drives, the Altis was always used majorly for outstation travel. With the addition of the Compass in 2018, we use the Altis now for local travel. Don't plan on selling it off anytime soon for sure. The only cost I incur on the car is the yearly maintenance. The luxury, comfort and most importantly, the peace-of-mind that the Altis has given us is unparalleled.
Old 1st August 2021, 13:11   #323
BHPian

I have a polo 1.2 tdi , late 2011 make.It is a second hand car but it is my first car that I bought from my earnings. Will use it for the next 4 years, thereafter buying an electric car (Altroz Ev) most probably. My dad has a vento petrol 2011 make which is running just fine. No plans to upgrade from vento anytime soon. My mom has a ritz 2014 petrol, she retires in 5 years after which we dont need more than 2 cars. So no upgrade in the next five years. I would really like to buy a Tata harrier for long trips and an ev for city runs.
Old 2nd December 2021, 22:10   #324
BHPian

Need some help in deciding guys.

Existing Ciaz (Diesel) is Oct 2015 purchased, and being in NCR, 10 years law is looming ahead.

Dilemma is when to sell off this car ? Condition is excellent, dont wat to sell it otherwise. Its just the law which will eventually force me.

On one side, If I continue to hold on, it would keep on depreciating. And I still have to look for some option in replacement.
Old 3rd December 2021, 08:36   #325
BHPian

I voted 10.
We had a 2002 manufactured M800 which we recently gave away.
We also have a 2009 manufactured Ritz which we are holding on to for now.

I want to badly upgrade, but I would like to take the correct decision of EV vs ICE. I am leaning toward EVs but my monthly drive to my home town of around 500KMs will not be satisfied by any affordable EVs for now, hence holding on to the Ritz.
Old 3rd December 2021, 09:44   #326
BHPian

I am not able to vote, but my vote would go to "Till 6-7 years".

Ownership cost of car includes:
A. Monthly EMI - I am already habituated to part away with this amount on monthly basis. Loan will be totally paid off in 5 years, and not next 12-18 months, I would like to accumulate the EMI amount on monthly basis and save it for a part of down payment for next car
B. Fuel Cost - Monthly usage patter unlikely to change and fuel prices are not in my hands.
C. Repairs and Maintenance: This portion may shoot up sharply when the age of vehicle crosses 6-7 years. Apart from tyres and batteries, many mechanical parts related to transmission, clutch and suspension mat require replacement, not to mention a paint job.
D. Depreciation: If I sell my existing car within 6-7 years of age, It may fetch a considerable portion of down payment amount for new car.

After thorough thinking, I have made a thumb rule for myself: get rid of the existing car before it's time for tyre replacements the second time.
Old 3rd December 2021, 13:00   #327
BHPian

I have never sold car/bike for the reason of aging, only reasons have been:

1. Lack of required features
Sold my Ninja 650 after a usage of 1 year because of its poor brakes back then and lack of ABS.

I am occasionally tempted to sell my eight years old Pajero Sport as its a MT and i need AT atleast in the city, but the car otherwise is flawless so i am in two minds about it, especially since there arent many equivalent options in the market. Most practical solution seems to be just to hire a chauffeur.

2. Reliability issues irrespective of the age of the car
I sold my Safari Dicor (3 years old), Octavia vRS (7 years old), Koleos (7 years old) for reliability issues.

3. Available budgets for upgrades
I sold my Swift ZXi (4 years old), Palio 1.6 (4 years old), Punto (4 years old) for this reason

Last edited by 46TheDoctor : 3rd December 2021 at 13:07.
46TheDoctor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 16:01   #328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46TheDoctor View Post
I have never sold car/bike for the reason of aging,
Interesting and same pinch.

I haven't sold any of my vehicles yet, then I didn't own many either.

Suzuki Shogun - 26 years plus now. Once I moved from Chennai to Bengaluru, sold to a friend as I thought it will be too much trouble to drive an TN registered (changed from KL-02 to TN-07 when I moved to Chennai) Bike in Bengaluru. Funny, in a day I started missing bike and bought it back

Honda Civic - Finishing 14th year. Love it a lot, never ever gave a problem and still looks and drives fantastic.

BMW M340i - Took six years warranty. I know how long I will keep it.

Voted for 10+. Then I stick to things, still wearing a 17 year old watch
Attached Thumbnails
Your car's age: How long do you plan to hold onto your current car?-img_8035-2.jpg  

RakishRam is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 18:51   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post
Existing Ciaz (Diesel) is Oct 2015 purchased, and being in NCR, 10 years law is looming ahead. Dilemma is when to sell off this car ? Condition is excellent, dont want to sell it otherwise. Its just the law which will eventually force me.
The 10-year NCR law kicks in only 4 years later. Use the car till then and then sell off in a neighbouring state that doesn't have this illogical law.
Lots of good used cars come to Kerala (& other southern states) from NCR bought at good rates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
Ambassador Mark III (1976) - 930,000km. - my grandfather’s car running a Matador Diesel engine since it’s dieselization 3 days after delivery. Bumper to bumper refurbishment in 2020, and runs every weekend.
A 1-million km run car, that too an Ambassador. This car deserves its own Looong Term ownership thread.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 3rd December 2021 at 18:54.
supremeBaleno is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 19:19   #330

Have a 2013 Polo 1.2 TDI, still looks new and drives well with absolutely no issues at all. Last two years the running has been very low due to the pandemic. If the office resumes and if I end up driving daily to office, I might consider selling it for an automatic, else it's min. 10 yrs for sure.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks