Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: How long do you plan to hold onto your current car?
Till my car is 2 - 3 years old 11 0.73%
Till my car is 4 - 5 years old 123 8.22%
Till my car is 6 - 7 years old 240 16.03%
Till my car is 8 - 9 years old 221 14.76%
Till my car is 10 (or higher) years old 902 60.25%
Voters: 1497. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2020, 08:39   #286

Re: Your car's age: How long do you plan to hold onto your current car?

I had a Ford fusion for 12 yrs and now have a 2014 Endeavour and 2015 Ford ecosport which are both automatic. Fusion was a great car but my knees started to give up in bumper to bumper Bangalore traffic...I plan to keep them till 15 yrs to get max ROI. The endy is built like a tank and with its limited electronics is pretty easy to service. Hopefully the parts are not difficult to source.
viggy_81 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2020, 14:53   #287
Senior - BHPian

My Civic has completed 10 years in February, 2020 with a mileage of 45xxx kms. Looking to replace it in 2021 with a higher ground clearance vehicle like the Creta 1.5 IVT SX (O).

I am enamoured by the Thar 2020 just on the basis of its looks and will take multiple test drives for sure. However, judging by the views provided by hardcore Jeepers, don’t think I would end up buying it. I have never driven or owned a Jeep before and not sure whether I would be able to live with it. Let’s see how it goes.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 10:47   #288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Why ? Is Octavia giving you any troubles ? Or is the DSG worrying you ?
The DSG did give me trouble after the 4 year warranty period(I’d not taken extended warranty The mechatronics had to be changed.
Old 30th August 2020, 11:41   #289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin76 View Post
The DSG did give me trouble after the 4 year warranty period(I’d not taken extended warranty The mechatronics had to be changed.
My Rapid DSG was also jerking in 2nd gear on inclined roads. Skoda replaced DSG clutch pack free of cost in the last year of warranty. But I am still planning to hold on to it till 10th year of ownership. Current age of the car - 5.5 yrs.
Old 30th August 2020, 14:14   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
My Rapid DSG was also jerking in 2nd gear on inclined roads. Skoda replaced DSG clutch pack free of cost in the last year of warranty. But I am still planning to hold on to it till 10th year of ownership. Current age of the car - 5.5 yrs.
For me, Skoda absorbed around 80% of the cost of the mechatronics. I wish I could hold on to my cars for that long. I develop the urge to change them within 4-5 years.
Old 30th August 2020, 14:20   #291
BHPian

IIRC, I voted for 6-7 years. But my current car, Tiago petrol doesn't seem much economical now that my running has increased a bit, I have to feather the throttle to get anything above 16 kmpl, and that's not considering the error in the MID FE indicator. Have to change to a diesel now, I guess.
Old 5th November 2020, 18:50   #292
BANNED

I have a 2008 Accent petrol. another 3 years left. Has done 1 lakh kms.
I am facing a dilemma - If it needs 30K expense, should I keep it, or save the 30K for the next car?

This month had to get Maf sensor, 1 brake cylinder changed and some major rusting under the front cowl welded - have spent 10K.
Add another 10k for timing belt change.
Fuel pump and ignition coils are suspect too. ac is working fine for now but I can't be very confident - for how long.

I want to keep the car, but not sure if it makes sense. My car usage is very less now. Hence the dilemma.
Old 5th November 2020, 18:59   #293
BHPian

Just got a new set of rims and tyres on our 2014 Rapid. Convenient excuse for convincing dad of not selling the car any time soon
Your car's age: How long do you plan to hold onto your current car?-img20201105wa0001.jpg
TheHelix0202 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 19:02   #294
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhead View Post
I have a 2008 Accent petrol. another 3 years left. Has done 1 lakh kms.
I am facing a dilemma - If it needs 30K expense, should I keep it, or save the 30K for the next car?
30k is less than the EMI for two months of a new car. If 30k (or even 50k) is enough to bring your car to perfect mechanical shape for the next 3 years, then it worth the investment. That said, if such expenses are going to be regular affair, then you should cut your losses and exit. Move on to a new car or a newer used car(preferred option given your low running)!

Long story short, get your car thoroughly inspected at a reliable FNG and ask for all upcoming expenses. If the total bill is south of 50k then IMO, make the expenses when necessary and retain the car for 3 more years.
ashis89 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 17:34   #295
BHPian

I voted for 10 years and more. I plan to keep both my Hondas- my 2016 CRV and 2019 Jazz for at least 10 years. My swift is already 12 years old and I plan to keep it till the end of its life cycle. Each car serves its purpose well - the Jazz is my daily drive , the CRV is used as a family car and the swift is for Sunday morning drives. My usage is less and the cars are well looked after. Also these cars last quite long and spares and service is easily available. In the past we had a Honda city and maruti 800 in the family which were used for 11 and 16 years respectively without any issues.
Old 16th November 2020, 18:25   #296
BHPian

We have a 2012 WagonR VXi with 61000 on the odo, has been serving its purpose very well for in city commutes and shopping visits and airport runs(yes in a WagonR with folding back seats), and has been a keeper till date. I am unwilling to part with her, but the family has been demanding a better car. As parents grow old train travel is getting increasingly cumbersome to visit native places . I will keep her for another year atleast till the pandemic is shown through the door and then upgrade. I have been saving for a Nexon which I think will be a suitable upgrade from the humble R. For my next car I am looking for a keeper which will see me through the next decade and do not want any depreciation hits and no loans.I am saving so that I can make full payment.
Dieseltuned is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 18:40   #297
BHPian

Shouldn't there be another option for how long to keep a vehicle based on kilometers driven?
Personal use case: my Tiago diesel has run around 80k kms now. Lately having itch to upgrade to a sedan however, the more I delay the purchase the more I can save up for DP.
By this time next year I reckon odo will cross 1L and so will my maintainance bills.

Yes, I know it might be cheaper to maintain existing car rather than to purchase new one, but post 1-1.2L kms on odo, I'd hesitate to trust it. My driving involves a lot of ghats, late nights and rural lonely roads.

Other than the odo readings part, we always keep our cars beyond 10years. Our nano was sold at 10 year mark (60k kms) , and now indigo (90k kms) is on the way out of the door too.
Ertiga will see a similar fate in 3-4 years timeline.
Torq is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 18:40   #298
BHPian

I have a Getz CRDI 2009 model which is clocked close to 120000 kilometers as of date and in great running condition.
Of late , major rusting problems under the front cowl assembly , LH door and near the tail lamp housings.
This is my second car and need to use it as a beater car and hence not in mood to sell it . Decided to keep this by getting it repaired in one of the reputed after market workshops. The kind of mileage and power delivery makes me very possessive of the car and hope to keep it for next couple of years.
The only concern is the cost of spares from Hyundai ASS which is getting expensive by the day and a bit of time consuming as well.
I think the simple mechanicals and the drivability factor is far superior than the electronic gizmos which steal the true character of the car.
Old 16th November 2020, 18:49   #299
Senior - BHPian

This poll assumes that everybody sells off their cars within 10 years! One of my cars is in its 15th year of service and I have not made plans to sell it off. To me, selling a car within 5 years of ownership is colossal waste of money.

During a casual conversation with my neighbor on buying an EV as the next car, he mentioned that he may not be able to upgrade to an EV since he will be selling off his barely 1 year old Kia Seltos in the next 4 years. It sounded like a compulsive thing. So I asked him why he has to sell it off after 4 more years, and why can't he hold on to that car for say, 8 years or so - he answered, and I quote: "I don't know, I just sell my cars when they are 5 years old.."

Last edited by clevermax : 16th November 2020 at 18:55.
clevermax is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 19:59   #300
BHPian

Answer is subjective and depends on how much you earn. For most salaried folks, upgrading is dictated by needs. People with discontinued brand cars like Chevrolet have to sell it early because the service support becomes a gamble and they might have to take a leave from work to get the car serviced. Otherwise, many people who are even reasonably well off hold on to their cars for 10 plus years. Someone I know owns a hotel and probably has the money buy any European car without financing, but still drives his SX4.

In most countries, cars run far more than they do in India before the owner sells them. These days 100,000 kilometers is nothing, especially when the car is maintained properly. Yes, our roads are worse but ideally that should affect only the tires and suspension, no? Those can be fixed at a lower cost than the emi for a few months of a new car.

The folks with more disposable incomes, and perhaps a lesser inhibition to spend it, might think otherwise. They keep the industry going I guess.
Cessna182 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks