Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: How long do you plan to hold onto your current car?
Till my car is 2 - 3 years old 11 0.73%
Till my car is 4 - 5 years old 123 8.22%
Till my car is 6 - 7 years old 240 16.03%
Till my car is 8 - 9 years old 221 14.76%
Till my car is 10 (or higher) years old 902 60.25%
Voters: 1497. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2021, 06:40   #331
BHPian

Re: Your car's age: How long do you plan to hold onto your current car?

Currently have sold only to upgrade else we keep.

Wagon R - 2009 - sold in 2014
Honda City - 2011
Breeza - 2016
Innova Crysta - 2016
Josh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2021, 10:14   #332
Senior - BHPian

My Beat is nearly 7 years old now. I plan to keep it for at least 4-5 years. One of the dependencies would be the continued availability of ASC.
Old 5th December 2021, 12:05   #333
Senior - BHPian

10 Years + for sure - my Honda City will be 8 years in a few months (Feb-2022). The Pandemic situation since 2020 and Work From Home has meant that the car has hardly run much and hence there is lot of life left in the car still. Currently the ODO stands at approx. 62,000 kms. Given this situation, 10 years looks easy and 12 years looks very much doable.
Old 5th December 2021, 12:25   #334
BHPian

I would love to retain for as long as possible, but family pressure to switch is now increasing tremendously.

My Verna turns 7 in two weeks. Although having close to 3.15L kms on the ODO, she runs like new, not a single rattle anywhere. Still on stock clutch and suspension.

It would break my heart to let her go.
drhoneycake is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th December 2021, 16:24   #335
BHPian

I bought a 3 year old WagonR in 2007 and drove it till 2019, before giving it away to a young relative (He is still driving it and the car is in good shape). I drove it everywhere when I was a bachelor, then mostly within the city as my family grew and I started caring about issues like safety and second-row comfort.

I currently drive a borrowed car and my next purchase, which I hope to get in mid 2022 will also be used for 15+ years hopefully.
Old 5th December 2021, 21:19   #336
BHPian

My i20 active turned 5 last month, and I intend to keep her with me for atleast 2 more years, she still has original plastic wrap on one or two places and I have driven about 51k. But my daily usage of about 80kms is constantly pushing my head towards an EV. Right now I don’t have many options in my budget i.e., Nexon or 1 or 2 lakhs lower, so I believe as long as there are no reliable and decent EVs around my budget, I will stick to my i20. But as soon as I have a decent EV option I’m sure my head will start pulling over.
Old 15th December 2021, 18:28   #337
BHPian

I have always purchased new cars and try to keep for long.
My 2010 Alto K10 was exchanged for Swift AMT in 2019, which I plan to keep as long as I can.
But not sure of Ciaz's (2018) fate as I have started getting bored.
Old 21st March 2022, 14:49   #338
BHPian

This is a very insightful thread to go through indeed! I've had this question on my mind for the longest time as I am in the 7th year of ownership of my Hyundai Xcent. My car has done really low numbers, especially since Covid, as I don't do a 40 km round trip to my office anymore. I have always serviced the car at an ASS and the car has returned this favor by providing me with great reliability! I am inclined on upgrading as soon as I cross the 8th year mark, but at the same time, going through some of the posts on this thread, I realize it wouldn't hurt to keep the car for a little bit longer, especially because I was reminded of an earlier TBHP advice that most of you may have come across. I'll keep you guys posted!
Old 21st March 2022, 21:20   #339
BHPian

The first car I bought out of my own money was a 2010 MS Alto. The second car I bought was a Swift Zdi in 2013. Both the cars are going strong - the Alto at my hometown and the Swift with me. I have also bought a Hexa XTA but still have no intention of selling either of these cars as :-

1. They're dirt cheap to run and are serving well as beaters.
2. The maintenance costs and insurance premiums are practically peanuts.
3. They still look good and ride well.
4. The meager amount that I will get by selling them would not justify parting with these two gems.

Overall, I have no intention of selling any of my cars as long as they run trouble free and bring me a smile. Rather than selling them, I might scrap them at the end of their life and buy an EV, which I will again keep till the end of her lifetime.
Prashant1286 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 22:07   #340
BHPian

My 2009 Fiat Punto MJD is 12+ years old now. Rides exactly the same way as the day it was bought. No rattles, no squeaks. Good city and highway mileage. Serves as beater car and used by my wife for travel to work. Recently both my son and daughter learnt driving using this car and they are in love with it. So this car will stay with us as long as it rides without any breakdowns.
My other car VW Taigun 1.5 GT Manual is just 3 months old and has done only 1700 kms till date. Hopefully it would serve us as well as the FIATs did. Though the VW is very good, easy to drive, smaller turn radius, silent and has good ride / handling characteristics, the one thing I sorely miss is the steering feel of the FIATs at triple digit speeds. I would like it a little more weighted. Hopefully VW will tweak the software and provide a sports mode with heavier steering for highway drive.
Old 22nd March 2022, 12:13   #341
BHPian

My Honda City ZX is now in its 15th year and going strong. Actually my mileage is very less as the odometer has clocked around 45k kms till date. I hope I can use this for another 5 years after re-registration. Let's see how this goes.
Old 27th March 2022, 11:50   #342
MaG
BHPian

My 2017 Ertiga CNG has clocked ~1.20 lakh kms on the odo. In my last service, got some work done on the front suspension as the car made an irritating noise on the slightest of the potholes. Post the service, it’s been peaceful. No complains from the car as yet and with the CNG, it’s just so economical that heart and mind both doesn’t allow to spend new bucks to upgrade. Moreover I also own a 2020 harrier which is used specifically for long drives which I usually do once in 2 months.

Hence, my ertiga is here to stay for atleast 2 years i.e. another lakh km to be clocked
Old 29th April 2022, 11:06   #343
BHPian

Alto LXI from 2010 to 2013, used for 52300 kms
Ritz VDI from 2013 till now, odometer showing 99600 kms

I cannot vote currently, but i would have selected last option of 10 years. At that point, one has used 2/3 rd life of the car with not much maintenance costs and will atleast get some value through resale to fund next car purchase. Also, the last 1/3 rd part of car life will involve reliability and maintenance issues depending on how much the car is used for. Also, people tend to change entry level cars rather early but keep on holding to more expensive cars is what I think.
Old 29th April 2022, 12:51   #344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke1972 View Post
My Honda City ZX is now in its 15th year and going strong. Actually my mileage is very less as the odometer has clocked around 45k kms till date. I hope I can use this for another 5 years after re-registration. Let's see how this goes.
If your location is Gurgaon as shown on your post, re-registration of a car older than 15 years will not be allowed due to NGT order for NCR area, no matter even if your car is like it has just come out of showroom.
Old 29th April 2022, 13:28   #345
Senior - BHPian

My 2016 i20 crdi asta (o) has clocked about 55k kms now. Was planning on replacing it last year but considering how much both used and new car prices have skyrocketed, I keep holding off. I think I will be stuck with him for a few more years at this rate. It's not a bad car, feature comforts are plenty and its fun enough to drive and give me around 18kmpl. Its just a bit too bumpy for my taste. The older I get, the more I want a car with a softer suspension setup.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks