Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: How long do you plan to hold onto your current car?
Till my car is 2 - 3 years old 11 0.73%
Till my car is 4 - 5 years old 123 8.22%
Till my car is 6 - 7 years old 240 16.03%
Till my car is 8 - 9 years old 221 14.76%
Till my car is 10 (or higher) years old 902 60.25%
Voters: 1497. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2020, 20:21   #166
BHPian

Re: Your car's age: How long do you plan to hold onto your current car?

We were planning on keeping our 2015 Swift for atleast 10 years, but the lack of safety and its "tin car" nature has been bugging me lately.

So I've been thinking of getting the new City.

And the only reason I am considering it now is because of safety, I would not upgrade for any other factor.
Old 11th June 2020, 20:26   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghavEvoX View Post
Currently driving a 3 year old Verna and planning to keep it for at least another 7 years. That was my initial plan when I bought the car also as I had taken a 10 year loan. I know many will be to hear that.

I think buying a new car or an used car maintained like new makes more sense if we keep the car for long term and maintain accordingly.
A perspective I know well , the long term loan wont make sense for those who look at a car from an economics perspective , assets & liabilities (it is when it comes to paying the bills) etc etc , however when you are in a hurry to get to the other end of the state \ country, you would rather be in something fast and comfy with some music on than thinking of the years of EMI that was saved and the extra interest that was not paid - been there done that and no regrets, money comes and goes - that time of our lives , just do not come back.

Verna is my favorite car in its segment, just perfect - Enjoy your drive
Kosfactor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 20:34   #168
BHPian

Voted 8 - 9 years.

1. MS Swift ZDi:- My car is 8.5 years and 1.05 lakh KMS old. Intend to keep it till the year end till she completes 9 years. This by far is the max we have retained any car after our erstwhile Premier Padmini, which happens to be our first car. Also, crossing even 60k KMS was a distant dream for our cars & today the Swift is @ 1.05L; and I can’t thank TBHP & GTO enough for this.

2. Hyundai Creta 1.6 SX+ VTVT:- She’ll be completing 5 years in another 3 months and currently @ 42k KMS. Intend to keep this beauty for another 3-4 years minimum.
Old 11th June 2020, 20:35   #169
BHPian

I think for me its more to do with how much the car has run, rather than how old it is.

Our 2006 Santro ran almost 1.5 lakh kilometres in 12 years before we disposed it off. Our 10 year old WagonR has done almost 80k KM and we plan to keep it for another 2 years minimum, which again brings the age to 12 years. However, our 2016 Ecosport has already done 53k in 3 years and 9 months and if it was not for the lockdown, it would have run another 5k easily in the past few months.

So ideally, we will probably keep it for another 3-4 years before it will be due for upgrade, which possibly brings its life to 7-8 years.

Overall, its completely based on the running for me, rather than the age of the vehicle itself.
Old 11th June 2020, 20:36   #170
BHPian

Voted 6-7 Years.

My S-Cross is at 1,33,500 KMs after 3.5 years. More than the no of years, it will be the no of KMs that would decide the replacement. Will replace it whenever the odo crosses 2.2L KMs, should be there in about 2-2.5 years.
Old 11th June 2020, 20:47   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
A perspective I know well , the long term loan wont make sense for those who look at a car from an economics perspective , assets & liabilities (it is when it comes to paying the bills) etc etc , however when you are in a hurry to get to the other end of the state \ country, you would rather be in something fast and comfy with some music on than thinking of the years of EMI that was saved and the extra interest that was not paid - been there done that and no regrets, money comes and goes - that time of our lives , just do not come back.

Verna is my favorite car in its segment, just perfect - Enjoy your drive
Thanks. Actually I was getting a very low loan interest (~ 4%) from my office. So I just fixed the EMI that I was paying for Ola / Uber every month and came to a budget based on that. As mine was a long term loan, I wanted a decently reliable car, so went with the Verna.
RaghavEvoX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 21:13   #172
BHPian

Our 1st gen Swift(P) bought in 2008 is now 12 years old and we plan to keep it for another 3 years. It runs fine and is used as a beater car in the city only. The car which replaces the Swift after 3 years is planned to be electric though!

The Jetta TSI we got in 2016 is now 4 years old and will definitely reach 10 with us. Other than connected car features that are missing, it is pretty up to date and I feel no need to upgrade. Fingers crossed it will be snag free for long since its a manual.
Old 11th June 2020, 21:16   #173
Senior - BHPian

My 2012 Vento 1.6AT just completed its 8th anniversary. Plan to hold on to it for 6 more years. 8 years of trouble free ownership so far.
Old 11th June 2020, 21:25   #174
PKG

- Swift VDI 12+ years. Spare car in native still runs great 155K done.
- XUV500 8+ Years. 120K done, my daily car and all long drives. still in good shape.. age related niggles. will plan to hold on in current situation
- Jazz CVT - Wife's car nearly 3 years.. this runs only 300-400 Kms per month so hope it will stay for a long time to come.

Generally believe the bigger cars are sturdier and with better roads the life of cars has increased. The cost of new cars is also a deterrent since you cannot go for smaller cars than what you have
Old 11th June 2020, 22:19   #175
BHPian

I bought a Volvo specifically because I wanted to buy into the legacy of cars that lasted forever. I know that Volvo under Geely isn’t the same as the Volvo’s of the 70s and 80s, but many claim they’re still going to last a really long while. Add to this that my December 2017 V40 CC has done 8000 KM and I’m hopeful for at least 8 years of ownership if not a decade. I do worry that polestar tuning will put more stress on components than intended, that will in turn reduce longevity.

My other car is a kona electric. The battery is covered by a 8 year warranty. I seriously doubt the car will last that long. It’s doing about 8-9000 KM a year so let’s see.

My next vehicle will be a Jeep Wrangler. I intend on making that one last forever
Old 11th June 2020, 22:43   #176
BHPian

10 years and above for me. Have 2 cars in my garage -

1. Vento 1.6 TDI - bought in March 2012 and have travelled 175K kms on it. The engine still brings a smile on my face every time I drive it & just cannot think of any other car that can replace it. Though, I have to start looking as am currently posted in Delhi NCR and hence the car would not be able to ply on roads after March 2022.

2. Maruti A-Star Zxi Manual - May 2009 model with 82K kms on odo. Primarily used by my wife for her office commute and some small errand to run over weekend. Good car and plan to keep it for another 2 years at least post which again due to NCR norms - will have to change petrol vehicle after 15 years
Old 11th June 2020, 22:49   #177
BHPian

My steed is a 2010 Innova turning 10 years in another 10 days. Odo reads 1.47 lakh and planning to keep it for next 5 years at-least. Time to show love towards it by giving a coat of paint and a set of alloys.
Your car's age: How long do you plan to hold onto your current car?-innova.jpg
Our family is kinda attached to it (though I hate to admit it ).
Silver Knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 22:58   #178
brd

Having grown up by seeing my Dad and uncles buying used old cars like those wonderful Standard Companion, Standard 10, Standard Gazel, Morris Minor, Fiat Elegant Centre Light (and unfortunately all sold long ago :( ), I strongly believe that machines can always be fine as long as maintained properly.
Having said that, I did sell my M-800 5 speed just after 2 years to go for an Indica Diesel, which I sold after about 3 + years, and the reason I guess is I might have been badly cheated by an unauthorised service centre, which of course was my stupidity.
Then I got my present beautiful beast the Xylo in August 2011. I have, till now, clocked above 1.34 lakh kilometres, and I just love driving it. It will be 9 years in August 2020. And I definitely do not plan to sell it. I might buy a new vehicle for the sake of buying (without necessity), but I never wish to sell my Xylo. I am now planning to stock all critical spares as M & M have discontinued the manufacture of Xylo, and in the future, I do not want to keep hunting for the spares.
To cut the long story short, if you like a car, maintain it and it will stay beyond your lifetime for your generations to enjoy it.
Old 11th June 2020, 23:28   #179

Voted for 10+ years

My swift has turned 10 years this June with 1.24L on odometer and no intention to sell it as since there are no issues in ownership. I might go for other car after 2-3 years but would still keep the swift as long as possible.
Old 12th June 2020, 00:08   #180
Senior - BHPian

Voted for 4-5 years as my current car (Nexon) is year old, will keep it for another 3-4 years. Previous car (Xcent) was with for 5 years and Prior to earlier car (Accent Viva) was with us for 6 years. Though our first M-800 was with us for 16 years. Had a connect with all of them, but then practically speaking if pockets allow and need is there for something better, then why not change the car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks