Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy a used Tata Hexa today?
Yes 563 67.34%
No 273 32.66%
Voters: 836. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2020, 22:23   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Tata Hexa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalsa777 View Post
Some niggles that i did face are as below:
  • A weird sound when the auto box upshifts sometimes. It's very faint, but its there. And not easily reproduceable, hence untraceable. Performance has been exemplary though.

A Point to note:
The 19-inch tyre is a custom size made specifically for the Hexa by MRF. Availability could become an issue some years down the line.
Drive the car in manual mode. Use all 6 gears individually, and hold each gear for at least a couple of minutes with revs above 2500rpm. That little wooosh sound on upshifting will go away. Do this once every few thousand km. It is a best practice to drive around in manual mode and engage all gears every once in a while. Just like it is a best practice to shift to neutral on traffic lights.

The 19inchers are a replacement nightmare. The only other option in the stock size is Pirelli Scorpion LR cobranded, and that costs 25k apiece. Alternatively, we get Michelins in 255/50R19 size (direct fit) but they also cost around 22k each. So we either spend a lakh rupees on quality tires, or we make do with those lousy MRFs. I am currently on my second set of MRFs and will upsize to 255 for the next change.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 12th July 2020 at 22:24.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 12:43   #47
BANNED

Absolutely YES. Hexa is one of the best car Tata has come up with in recent times. A really nice engine mated with a great gearbox. It is so far the best car in the price range it comes in. Also in used car market, you can get a very good deal. However I would prefer to have XT 4x4 version which is very difficult to find in used car market. Let's hope soon Tata comes with BS6 version of this car. If they do so then for sure it's gonna be my next car.
Old 13th July 2020, 13:10   #48
BHPian

You know what. I'm Infact looking for a used Hexa AT right now in Bangalore, a 7 seater variant, a XTA or XMA doesn't matter.

This car is a fantastic product and one can easily live with it for a decade.
Old 13th July 2020, 13:13   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted No.

Hexa is Tata's best 6+ seater car ever, but still, I will give it a pass.

Reasons :

1. While it may be cheaper while buying, the resale will be abysmal after 3-4 years time.

2. Tata QC isn't the best and one should be okay to live with minor niggles

Instead, if I am looking for a quality people mover, I would rather pick up an used Innova crysta at a couple lakhs extra premium over similar vintage Hexa or if it has to be new, the marazzo is still a great choice. Crysta holds way more resale and brand image when compared to the other two, and probably would do a few more lakhs more km than the others without any issues

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 13th July 2020 at 13:18.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 14:59   #50
BHPian

Voted NO!
Just because it is USED. Of course, the price of a used Hexa will be too tempting and no doubt the car is good, if not great. But, for me peace of mind during ownership is of utmost important. Coming from a Hyundai and Maruti, after sales support is important and I don't like cars with regular minor issues cropping up.
I would rather pick up the Marazzo or the used Innova/Crysta. If it's a used car, then it has to be Toyota, Honda or any of the luxury brands for me.
DieselAnna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 15:47   #51

Voted Yes, and this is exactly the car that I'm looking out currently.

Owing a Tata Tiago since 2016, my experience has been very good with the new gen Tata, even in terms of servicing.
Last October, had hired a self drive Hexa (Not from zoomcar, its a private owner) to take 6 members + 1 child of the family for a Mumbai-Nashik- Shirdi- Shinganapur-Pune-Mumbai trip, and was literally blown away by the performance- the passenger comfort and the handling. In the lookout for a used Hexa now ( Tata cars tend to loose value fast)

Some options on online buying websites give a range of 8lakhs for a 2017 Hexa XE to around 13 for a 2017 XTA, but most of these online are dealer sold. Looking out for a direct owner sold, less driven and maintained vehicle, hoping to come across one soon!
Blue Express is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 22:53   #52
Senior - BHPian

Have nothing against the car, but the Tatas ASS and parts distribution network aren't good enough to support the purchase.

My friend's Hexa had a malfunctioning ECU. The ASS took a week to find the problem and couldn't get the part for three weeks. Needless to say, he was frustrated.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 23:01   #53
BHPian

No, I wouldn't buy one. The new one for 20 lakhs or so is so much value for money than a used one. Just wait for the new one to launch. And even though you bought one now where would you go? The new one and hopefully vaccine will arrive at the same time.

I drive a 55k run XTA and those who say after sales is con, I would love to hear how many of them actually own a hexa. Hexa has special treatment at any service place. None of hexa owner folks I know have any issues.

Fuel economy is a pro and not con. The 19 inchers are just fine. For 12k you get them. The maintenance cost is very low.

And the cons mostly mentioned are not the ones that actually need to be listed.

The seating for me is a con. I can never get it right and get a neck pain. I got it right once sometime back and it was messed by a valet parking fellow.

The steering to too heavy. There is no need for it to be that heavy like a lorry.

The tyres are really bad rubber. I just don't like those mrfs on any of my vehicles but we are stuck. Lots of sound, cheap quality stuff and punctures.

The headlights again are poor to say the least.

The audio system is super hyped. Its good but not like whats its made to be. I can never get those settings rights and I have given up.

If the new one is launched and you can keep your sales expectations low and if someone is willing to sell one to you go ahead and buy a new one. Or just go, look at the Hector plus and its killer pricing and park you money there.
krishnakarthik1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 07:47   #54
BHPian

Voted yes. But only for auto option.
While XTAs comes with MRF, XMAs comes with Bridgestone.
While the top end has lots of bells and whistles I find the middle variant to be much more value for money. Undercutting some variants if Seltos for example.
busydrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 22:41   #55
BHPian

Voted Yes. I own a Hexa XM+ which is MT, 8 speaker JBL. It got delivered on Christmas eve in 2019 and is just 6 months old. Because of lockdown have only been able to drive around 6000 km till now. But it has become my choice of car for where ever i go. Have rode it in heavy stop and go traffic. Didn't feel any issue as the clutch is light. Gear shift in 1st and 2nd is notchy but has improved with time. Although a long and big car but good visibility helps to squeeze out of tight spaces. Have taken it through narrow alleys. Have managed to do U turn in very very limited space. Highway travel is so well composed. Steering weighs well at high speed and car stays so well composed at even at 120+ kmph. Cruise control needs just two press of thumb and I use it everytime even in city on flyover to stay within speed limit. Exceptional ride quality and sound system. I dont have to slowdown for small bumpers. Couple of things could have been better. Low beam on highway will make you think if you really have them turned on and quality of picture in Reverse parking camera. It is a great car end of the day and its sad that such great product was not a hit only because of its maker's brand perception. I feel people who have purchased Hexa have purchased it only because they were convinced they wanted Hexa. Ads and promotions have least impact.
Mile_Breaker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 06:50   #56

Just competed first leg of 1700km journey to Odisha from Bangalore. Bangalore to Vizag, 1070 kms, in 17 hours with required breaks. In any vehicle such a journey will be difficult, but Hexa made it relatively comfortable especially the spectacular ride quality and engine - gearbox combination of XTA. Lot of bad stretch combined with world class roads where the vehicle is tested and it came out with flying colours, mileage 1-2kmpl lower than expected at 12.6. Low beam light is useless when it rains, need to change asap.
Detailed ownership report will be out soon, this is from my 4 month old pre owned XTA. Big thumbs up!
omzworld is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 11:13   #57
BHPian

Voted No

I own a Dec 2014 refreshed Tata Aria Pride AWD with 110k kms done,

Since the Hexa is basically a redesigned Aria, I thought it would be prudent to list down a few of the very important items which are yet to be actioned upon by Tata. The positives are there too, but the kind of negatives are far too serious to be overlooked and driven with complete peace of mind.

1. Ground Clearance - it is good, but the icing on the cake is the Intercooler which is just behind the front bumper lower lip, bad roads and potholes, heck even stones which slip past can cause damage to this part. No protection provided, replacement part takes over a week and if one is traveling to remote areas, then you will regret it.

2. Power Window Issues aplenty - Right After 2.5yrs of trouble free ownership, the problems started.
All Power Windows have been replaced, with the front 2 replaced twice. The rear 2 windows are hardly ever kept open. Same for the front 2 as well, driven with AC on all the time. All of these have happened during road trips, and needs jugaad to get the windows closed before you get the next Service Station to fix it. Imagine driving to multiple toll booths and having to open the door to pay the fees, it don't feel like a 1.8 million vehicle.

3. Air Conditioning - While the AC cooling is good and does its job albeit noisily, lesser said about the Compressor the better. I have had the AC failing me 4 times so far, I have understood that the same part is also used in the Safari Storme and the Hexa and it meets the same fate. My friend who owns an authorized Service center for MP Police Vehicles (Dial 100, Safari fleet) says almost all of them have faced this issue with the compressor conking out.
His advice, do not use the AC while idling.

4. Hand Brake - Don't ever trust the hand brake of this vehicle, it doesn't work.

5. Tyres - Though not a complete negative, but it is very difficult to get tyres for this vehicle.
Of course if one has purchased the AWD variant, one would be interested in buying AT tyres, well there aren't many if not none.
After searching like everywhere, my first change was to Ceat Czars HT, not AT but works well.
Second change and my current set are Michelin Primacy SUV tyres, not AT because they are not available in the stock sizes.

6. Re-Learning to close the doors, none of the doors close well, they have to be slammed shut

We tour a lot and always with family, and on every trip something or the other fails, sometimes AC, sometimes power windows.
On 3 occasions I have been stranded at extremely remote regions, twice due to Intercooler hits and once as the vehicle just refused to start.

I have contacted a lot of Tata service centers for support, discussed if Ground Clearance can be improved, whether underbody protection can be designed and created.
Heck, even asked if I could get the Army Spec Storme suspension set-up. Everything is declined.

With all this, there was zero confidence left in me to venture out to remote places, because it always plays at the back of your mind.

The part numbers for Hexa, Aria & Storme are different, but believe me most of the underpinning parts are the same, we have literally kept their parts side by side and compared and even fit them vice versa.

The car is a marvelous cruiser and eats up distances while keeping everyone in comfort. I have regularly done 1200+ kms non-stop and I have enjoyed the drive.
A few drives which we have done in the Aria
- Pune to Chaukori (Uttarakhand)
- Pune to Agra
- Pune to Ranthambore
- Pune to Patna
- Pune to Panna
- Pune to Bangalore
- Pune to Goa (almost monthly)

This is not a rant, I still love her to bits and it pains me that I am not driving it anymore. But thought to share my experience so that people are at least aware on the items to look out for while evaluating a prospective vehicle.
Trojan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 17:22   #58
BHPian

Voted No.

I would not like to put my money on a product that is currently not on sale for reasons what so ever / could be discontinued, and also would not want to deal with the TATA ASS. No offence to any TATA brand car owners. I have seen quite a few unhappy friends who were TATA/FIAT car owners while maintaining their machines.

My experience with maintaining a car not in sale in the, then current market is a reason for my decision. I bought a Hyundai Getz DLS in 2008 and it went out of sale in 2009. Regular maintenance was not an issue. But part replacement was one major problem. Citing an example here.

The oil reservoir in the steering rack gave up in 2014 due to wrong threading at the service center, which was craftily covered up. The oil would drain in a matter of hours. Hyundai ASS recommended changing the steering rack which would cost a whooping 40 thousand rupees then and the part would take 4 to 6 weeks to arrive from Chennai to Bengaluru . While a neighborhood garage fixed it for 4 thousand rupees in two days.

I would put my money on an Innova instead, if at all I consider buying a used car.
Old 16th July 2020, 12:50   #59
BHPian

Voted NO.
Merely based on my past experiences of owning a TATA product I would not touch any of them even if provided for free. However, it seems things at TATA are changing rather briskly and it is only a matter of time until all issues are sorted out. Till then, for me, it is only wait and watch.
King_pin09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 13:58   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_pin09 View Post
Voted NO.
Merely based on my past experiences of owning a TATA product I would not touch any of them even if provided for free. However, it seems things at TATA are changing rather briskly and it is only a matter of time until all issues are sorted out. Till then, for me, it is only wait and watch.
I voted No for similar reason! Though my car was not bad, overall ownership was not good at all. Lot of rough edges, mileage was not good, MID's mileage was overly optimistic, service had its highs and lows.

Had to sell it off and take a huge depreciation hit, now enjoying my Figo's flawless performance.

Last edited by giri1.8 : 16th July 2020 at 14:21.
giri1.8 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks