Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2021, 08:44   #226
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)
Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Facelift spied undisguised in India. EDIT: Now Launched at Rs. 29.98 lakhs

Absurd. Totally absurd. Yet people will keep buying it without a second thought. Although our government is to blame (because we can't have nice things unless we're uber affluent), Toyota will leave no quarter when it comes to pricing. I'm actually surprised that they managed to fit in a JBL audio system in that pricing.

Suddenly, a used 3.2L Endeavour or an ML/GL350 seem like very reasonable options. That's it, I'm out. Will no longer pursue the Fortuner. I am done. Thanks Toyota. Thanks govt. I hope there is no happiness tax in the future (by whichever govt in power) exclusively to be paid by middle class.
vredesbyrd is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 12:02   #227
BHPian

Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Facelift spied undisguised in India. EDIT: Now Launched at Rs. 29.98 lakhs

Currently own a 2009 Fortuner. Has done over 2.8L KM.

Booked the new one in December. Was planning the 4X4 MT. But now am considering the AT.

Any opinions on the difference between the two?
Old 8th January 2021, 12:14   #228
BHPian

Here's the Navi Mumbai/ Panvel Price List, Z1 is the Legender
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Toyota Fortuner Facelift spied undisguised in India. EDIT: Now Launched at Rs. 29.98 lakhs-img20210108wa0061.jpg  

cn.vishnu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 12:35   #229
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivs2003 View Post
Was planning the 4X4 MT. But now am considering the AT.
I will suggest to go for Auto. The way out traffic is growing, it’s a pain managing clutch. If you do only highway runs, it may or matter much.

I bought one 2 years before and it was little difficult to sell also as most people now prefer Auto. On the other hand few members have got manual and enjoy a lot. So, it will be your own priorities over anything else.
Turbanator is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 12:44   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I will suggest to go for Auto. The way out traffic is growing, it’s a pain managing clutch. If you do only highway runs, it may or matter much.

I bought one 2 years before and it was little difficult to sell also as most people now prefer Auto. On the other hand few members have got manual and enjoy a lot. So, it will be your own priorities over anything else.

Thanks for your response.

My usage is 75% highway and 25% city. All in Delhi NCR, esp industrial areas. All of it chauffer driven.

But, having said that, the main purpose of taking Auto was the 5-10% of the time it will drive it myself, for time out with family etc, I wanted the huge vehicle t be more user friendly and convenient.

What is your opinion on the smoothness of drive of AT vs MT. In MT, the chauffer will ensure that the vehicle stays smooth, but is there any jerking? Mistimed gear changes or other AT related niggles?
Old 8th January 2021, 12:46   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
Suddenly, a used 3.2L Endeavour or an ML/GL350 seem like very reasonable options.
You think German cars arent overpriced? Or if they are, they somehow have a right to be so, even though they are money sink holes if you use them like they should be?

P.S. They are overpriced, some by over 100% compared to the prices in Australia. If it was US, it will be even more.
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 12:49   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What is your opinion on the smoothness of drive of AT vs MT. In MT, the chauffer will ensure that the vehicle stays smooth, but is there any jerking? Mistimed gear changes or other AT related niggles?
From my experience of a few test-drives, the AT on pre-facelift Fortuner was very boring and sluggish, and made the engine over-rev most of the time, resulting in high levels of cabin noise. The manual mode on the AT was lethargic too, with delays of up to a second after toggling those pedals on the steering wheel. Not sure if it has been re-tuned in the facelift.

The MT, on the other hand, was a gem - very smooth with a light clutch! The iMT is lovely feature, wherein engine revs are auto-tuned to minimize jerks during gear shifts - very smooth. Of course, flipside here would be that you won't get a torque rating of 500 NM as it is capped to 420 NM (which I found to be more than adequate) with the MT.

Net-net, an enthusiast would pick an MT and a point-A-to-point-B driver would pick the AT.

I'd suggest taking extensive test drives of the two before you make a decision. Hope this helps!

Last edited by cool_dube : 8th January 2021 at 12:51.
cool_dube is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 12:56   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
You think German cars arent overpriced? Or if they are, they somehow have a right to be so, even though they are money sinkholes
Not once I have said that they are not overpriced. Just the fact that that as an initial purchase, one might even save some money in a used ML/GL over a new Fortuner (and use that in service, repairs) along with getting everything better (again, subjective)

P.S. I didn't know having an opinion could be wrong
vredesbyrd is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 13:34   #234
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
All of it chauffer driven.
What is your opinion on the smoothness of drive of AT vs MT.
Go with AT. There should be no issues with reliability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
the AT on pre-facelift Fortuner was very boring and sluggish, and made the engine over-rev most of the time, resulting in high levels of cabin noise.
It's all-in comparison, Fortuner or Innova Auto both have 6 speed Auto which works mostly when driven sedately. These are no ZF types. Endeavour has 10 speed which theoretically should be far better but for some reasons is always changing gears when driven hard. Engine noise doesn't help either.
So, in this segment, I will pick a lazy Auto over a manual. Besides, Fortuner is not a vehicle meant to be driven at higher speeds.
Turbanator is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 14:05   #235
Senior - BHPian

Fortuner accesory price list for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Toyota Fortuner Facelift spied undisguised in India. EDIT: Now Launched at Rs. 29.98 lakhs-img20210108wa0004.jpg  

PrideRed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 14:58   #236
Team-BHP Support

How much of difference would be between illumination of the Legender’s split quad LED and regular Fortuner’s 4X4 AT bi beam LED’s.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 15:06   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Not once I have said that they are not overpriced. Just the fact that that as an initial purchase, one might even save some money in a used ML/GL over a new Fortuner (and use that in service, repairs) along with getting everything better (again, subjective)
But is this not true for almost all the cars when comparing New vs Pre-owned?
I mean, for example, instead of a new 15 lacs Honda City, you can buy a pre-owned BMW 3 for a lesser price and reserve the rest for maintenance. I am sure a BMW 3 will any day drive better than a Honda city!
gamingstein is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 15:15   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamingstein View Post
But is this not true for almost all the cars when comparing New vs Pre-owned?
I mean, for example, instead of a new 15 lacs Honda City, you can buy a pre-owned BMW 3 for a lesser price and reserve the rest for maintenance. I am sure a BMW 3 will any day drive better than a Honda city!
Exactly. Depreciation is your friend. There is no point in buying a new car in India (but that's just my opinion and my opinion only). What I wanted to say was that in my scopes, there are about half a dozen alternatives to this new Fortuner, that's all I want to say. I have no idea why everyone is trying to make a fuss about it.
Old 8th January 2021, 15:17   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not once I have said that they are not overpriced.
Absurd. Totally absurd. Yet people will keep buying it without a second thought.
Not sure if I misunderstood.

Quote:
Just the fact that that as an initial purchase, one might even save some money in a used ML/GL over a new Fortuner (and use that in service, repairs) along with getting everything better (again, subjective)

P.S. I didn't know having an opinion could be wrong
That is personal prerogative but it doesnt make people buying it "absurd" or "people will keep buying it without a thought". That's an unwarranted opinion about other people buying their choice of a car using their own money.
extreme_torque is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 15:32   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
That is personal prerogative but it doesnt make people buying it "absurd" or "people will keep buying it without a thought". That's an unwarranted opinion about other people buying their choice of a car using their own money.
So am I not allowed to have my opinion? People keep buying Maruti/Hyundai without consideration or thought to safety and it is often discussed here. People paying more than they should for a product is also being discussed here.

I am not discouraging anybody from buying it at all, in case you haven't noticed, my good sir. It is their money and it is up to them how to spend it. Taking this argument further is moot as it just feels like I am being attacked because I like SUVs other than the Fortuner.

Please read my posts again and let me know how I've said "germans are not overpriced". Besides, that "unwarranted" opinion, did I say anything against the people who will buy this? Did I? I stated mere facts. It was mentioned here that people who just booked new Innovas and last batch Fortuners called the Toyota SA about delivery and showroom availablity? Not once have I berated anyone for that and I don't even have the right to do so. But you are just misinterpreting what I wanted to say.

Either way, have a good day.
vredesbyrd is online now   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks