Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2020, 00:34   #46
BHPian

Re: Tata Altroz : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuhairZain View Post
What's the need to detune the engine? Altroz would get a better fuel economy and feel punchier because of the lesser weight. Why not be the most powerful car in the segment?
I think rather than giving only Nexon the exclusive rights to have better tuned engine, it has more to do with the fact that Altroz Petrol comes with a 5 Speed Gearbox rather than a 6 Speed in the Nexon. The gearbox might not be capable enough to be paired with more powered engine.
Also if the Altroz does get offered with a 6 Speed unit, it will increase the prices of Altroz considerably and that is the last thing TATA would like to do, considering India is a price sensitive market and not to forget the new i20 which is staring at the Premium Hatchback Segment and is fully ready to come (and rule the segment?)
OPINION : The DCT variant should definitely have the better tuned (120 PS) engine beacuse it will atleast be a 6 speed unit.
Rambo-RS is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 11:28   #47
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Altroz with turbo petrol engine spotted undisguised

I guess this was on the cards, and Tata Motors may have laid out the strategy well before. This explains the Rs.1.7L-1.8L difference in the current petrol and diesel variants. The turbo petrol may slot right in the middle.

But, I still do feel the diesel variants are overpriced by a good Rs.40-50k and a correction or discounts will lead to the Altroz doing better monthly numbers.

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 24th September 2020 at 11:29.
Old 24th September 2020, 12:43   #48
BHPian

Tata should've offered this variant right from the day of the launch. But better late than never.

Offering this with a choice of manual and DCT will broaden the appeal. Paddle shifters, Tata?

I wish they take this opportunity to give it the JTP treatment. A red JTP Altroz will be a stunner. Sadly, that nameplate might never return, and is a lost opportunity for Tata to build a credible sub-brand.
Old 24th September 2020, 13:14   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Can't blame, given how lame the NA petrol is in the Altroz.
I don't understand the general cribbing about how lame the engine is. Granted, I have never driven one. Just the day before, an Altroz was ahead of me in traffic and an unregistered Harrier behind me.

The Altroz managed to stay ahead of me with some good fast moves, overtaking other cars. Maybe it may feel restrained on the highway, but in city traffic, it is no slouch. It's all about how the gearing is. What matters is the time it takes from 0-40 and 20-60 in the city. The first Altroz I saw was after the launch and that was equally quick as well.

The Turbo will address the needs of the enthusiast and then the DCT for the Auto-leaning crowd. Still, we will have people asking for six airbags, sunroof etc.
discoverwild is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 13:54   #50
BHPian

How is it possible to say that Altroz variants are overpriced ?

Yes when you compare an Altroz Petrol to Altroz diesel it looks like there is a huge premium charged for Diesel. But wait, compare the price of N/A Petrol Altroz to its competitors, compare the punchy diesel's price to it's diesel competitors, and similarly turbo to turbos. Then you will notice that Altroz is priced on par to it's competitors or even lesser.

The current Elite i20 itself was almost at the Altroz range, what will be the price when the i20 comes in BS6 avatar ? I'm sure that i20 will be expensive than the Altroz (maybe with couple of extra blings provided over Altroz)!

Moreover the introduction of turbo petrol clears the pricing difference of N/A petrol and Diesel. The turbo petrol will fall right in between the two and it will be perfect.
kamilharis is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 15:14   #51
Senior - BHPian

With a kerb weight band between 1-1.2 tons the 100Ps ALTROZ should be a spiffy performer.
Add in the superior stiffness/bending rigidity of the new platform and the Altroz should be quite an able handler through the bends as well.
All that remains is a well chosen stack of gear ratios and the burbly muffler setup from the JTP parts bin to spice things up.
Keenly keeping an eye out for this. Fingers crossed!
arjab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 15:32   #52
Senior - BHPian

It's not overpriced actually, when you see the work that's gone into it. I was negotiating for the Harrier yesterday when I checked it out. Every inch screams quality. Important bits are redesigned and are like nothing on any competitor. Just see these 'touch' points! I'm in awe
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilharis View Post
How is it possible to say that Altroz variants are overpriced ?
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Altroz with turbo petrol engine spotted undisguised-img_3555.jpg  

Tata Altroz with turbo petrol engine spotted undisguised-img_3558.jpg  

Tata Altroz with turbo petrol engine spotted undisguised-img_3554.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 18:40   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Expected variants and pricing of the upcoming Altroz Turbo petrol
TBH I find these turbo variant overpriced. 1L over the NA engine is way too high.

This isnt a case like the 1.2 kappa vs. the 1.0 t-gdi. They are completely different units. Is the t-gdi imported unit too?

Now with the revotron, afaik, isnt it essentially the same engine which has been turbocharged? It is also locally manufactured.
Not sure I can say what an appropriate price may have been...

Last edited by Turrrb0 : 24th September 2020 at 18:43.
Old 24th September 2020, 23:10   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
I don't understand the general cribbing about how lame the engine is. Granted, I have never driven one....but in city traffic, it is no slouch. It's all about how the gearing is. What matters is the time it takes from 0-40 and 20-60 in the city..
Haven't driven the Altroz petrol either. But did drive the Tiago petrol in the city four years ago and the Altroz diesel on the highway last week. Add to that all the reviews, including TeamBHP citing weak petrol performance, guess the general cribbing is natural.

The Tiago petrol is a decent engine, does the job.
But in a premium hatchback?

Don't get me wrong. 86bhp is a decent number for a ~1000kg vehicle. (Both our cars at home are below 70bhp)
and like you said, the gearing would have definitely helped in city roads.

It is just that compared to its rivals, the Altroz petrol engine does come as an inferior motor.
Let's put aside the bantam weight Baleno.
Both the i20 and Jazz petrols are weak, but they have one thing in common. Refinement, which the Altroz petrol can't match.

Yes, blame our sub 4m rules. But Tata did have the Nexon 1.2l at its disposal.
Which brings us to another point to crib about.
Lame excuse of not being able to fit a 6 spd gearbox in the Altroz. A brand new vehicle on a brand new platform! And they had to rummage through Indica eV2 part bins?

I loved the Altroz diesel. Thing is once you drive the Altroz diesel, you just can't imagine the Tiago petrol engine in it. Atleast not if you want to live with the car for five years. Really makes you want to stretch the extra 2 lakhs for the diesel engine.

Hope the turbo petrol manages to fill that gap, and also TML finds a way to engineer an extra cog for the Altroz.
DicKy is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 23:16   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
This explains the Rs.1.7L-1.8L difference in the current petrol and diesel variants....
But, I still do feel the diesel variants are overpriced by a good Rs.40-50k and a correction or discounts will lead to the Altroz doing better monthly numbers.
Quoting my own post. I wasn't aware of the recent price cut.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.aut...s-40000-418662

Except for XE variant, the rest of them have a difference of Rs 1.5L between equivalent petrol and diesel options.

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 24th September 2020 at 23:20.
Old 24th September 2020, 23:26   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Haven't driven the Altroz petrol either. But did drive the Tiago petrol in the city four years ago and the Altroz diesel on the highway last week. Add to that all the reviews, including TeamBHP citing weak petrol performance, guess the general cribbing is natural.

I loved the Altroz diesel. Thing is once you drive the Altroz diesel, you just can't imagine the Tiago petrol engine in it. Atleast not if you want to live with the car for five years. Really makes you want to stretch the extra 2 lakhs for the diesel engine.
Nothing against your post in particular, Dicky. It's the general cribbing that I get to see. I'm a torque head, and so petrol hardly makes sense to me. I used to drive an Indica Turbo earlier (63 BHP) and now drive a Vista (75BHP). The Altroz is running a 90 BHP on the diesel there's not much of a weight difference between the three. Yet, what we see is members asking for the 110 BHP and the extra cog. The question is, will we ever stop asking for more?

I'm sure the petrol is equally the same. From what I have seen on the road, the NA engine is pretty decent. It helps those guys venturing out and buying a nice car but still are wary about the mileage. For a city punt, the Altroz is right among the rest of the hatchbacks. As mentioned earlier, the enthusiasts can wait for the Turbo which is due shortly.
discoverwild is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 01:36   #57
BHPian

What are the advantages of Altroz over Nexon if any? I can see Nexon advantages over this beauty but what about reasons to go for Altroz? I know form factor difference but assuming both of them on your shopping cart, which one will you eventually go for?
Old 25th September 2020, 02:16   #58
Senior - BHPian

I agree with what has been posted here about Tatas 1.2l engine. Overall it's pretty decent. Sure the refinement could be better but it's not a deal-breaker. My point of reference is a Tiago belonging to an elderly neighbour of mine which I take out for a fortnightly round to keep the battery topped up and stuff during these Covid times.
This version of the engine doesn't even have the balancer shaft that improves it's refinement. My other points of reference are two other 1.2L 4 cylinder engines namely the ones in my Beat and the holy grail in the Dzire. When compared I would say it's driveability or performance is maybe 10% shy of the K series even with the lower kerb weight and in terms of refinement let's take the higher side and say it's 20% short of the K series but the gap would be much narrower on the "balanced" version and the remaining 10% is par for the course as it's a 3cyl Vs 4cyl.
So yeah it's a decent engine overall with adequate performance and refinement for normal to lightly spirited city and highway driving. I would definitely prefer it over the 1.2 from Hyundai as well as the Honda.
Mortis is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 10:13   #59
Senior - BHPian

Tata Altroz Turbo spied in golden colour

Tata Altroz with turbo petrol engine spotted undisguised-smartselect_20200926101104_chrome.jpg

Tata Altroz with turbo petrol engine spotted undisguised-smartselect_20200926101127_chrome.jpg

https://www.rushlane.com/new-tata-al...-12376693.html
Venkatesh is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 12:30   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Noticed that the recently spotted Altroz trubo petrol variant has an 'I' badging in front of the Trubo badge, where as the OP post only has Turbo badging. So is this the DCT variant?
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Altroz with turbo petrol engine spotted undisguised-smartselect_20200926101127_chrome.jpg  

Tata Altroz with turbo petrol engine spotted undisguised-altroz-turbo-spotted.jpeg  

Last edited by Car Architect : 26th September 2020 at 12:33.
Car Architect is offline   (16) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks