Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2021, 13:01   #301
Senior - BHPian

Re: Renault Kiger Crossover launched at Rs. 5.45 lakh. EDIT: Driving report on page 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
But, wait that HBX will not get Turbo Petrol Option nor the Smooth CVT Gearbox !! Period.

Now what do you say....??

Tata knows how to screw up a good product by offering underwhelming engines at launch and making intrested customers to walk out and look at other options (Tin Cans).

I bet you that Tata HBX will not offer 1.2 Turbo Petrol at launch and the 1.2 NA will come with 5 Speed Manual and AMT gearbox.

Enough of HBX, now coming back to Kiger, They should have offered CVT in RXL trim like Nissan offers Magnite CVT in XL trim. Because that XL CVT has all the required kit and is available under 10 lakhs. I would anyday pick that Magnite CVT over Venue DCT and Nexon AMT.
I am a Tata fan but not a fanboy (a fanboy would never accept criticism even if it rightly warrants). So, I agree with you. Both Tata and Mahindra give proper AT boxes only in their full size SUVs and they have left Nexons, Tiagos and XUV300s at the mercy of AMTs. When would they realise that, being sub-4M, they have the room to bring in a proper AT and still stay reasonably-priced? A proper-AT Nexons and XUV300 would steal some of the thunder of Seltos/Creta ATs which near rupees 20L. A rupees 6-7 lakh price difference would be hard to ignore and many would accept a few mm less leg-room in the rarely-used (for most) back-row.

Coming to Kiger, I still can't imagine what possible reason they have for omitting a cruise control. An automatic car without a cruise control is only half automatic. You still have your right foot pressed down on the pedal all the way.
pgsagar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 14:19   #302
BHPian

Re: Renault Kiger Crossover launched at Rs. 5.45 lakh. EDIT: Driving report on page 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamkathy23 View Post
Thanks a bunch for the pictures & observation. I think the tyre size is 195/60 & not 195/65. Could someone confirm the same? Thank you.
Thanks for pointing out. You are right! It is 195/60 R16 Ceat SecuraDrive tyres.
GRAND23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 14:24   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
When would they realise that, being sub-4M, they have the room to bring in a proper AT and still stay reasonably-priced? A proper-AT Nexons and XUV300 would steal some of the thunder of Seltos/Creta ATs which near rupees 20L. A rupees 6-7 lakh price difference would be hard to ignore and many would accept a few mm less leg-room in the rarely-used (for most) back-row.
Its not a few mm less, it is ~300 mm and how in the world can we compare a TATA Nexon with Seltos/Creta? And I haven't seen anyone who opted for sub 1 million car instead of 1.7M + as both are entirely different segments. No buyer will look for a car between 6 lakhs to 17 lakhs range

Very interesting comparison indeed
Old 24th February 2021, 14:44   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starke View Post
Its not a few mm less, it is ~300 mm and how in the world can we compare a TATA Nexon with Seltos/Creta? And I haven't seen anyone who opted for sub 1 million car instead of 1.7M + as both are entirely different segments. No buyer will look for a car between 6 lakhs to 17 lakhs range

Same way as people compare Creta with Harrier (add another 298mm). Have you not seen Creta-Harrier comparison? Look on these threads. You will find aplenty. 6 lakh to 17 lakh range? For Nexon, you have taken 6 lakhs value which is base variant. And for Creta it is 17 lakh? Nexon range starts at 7.XX and Creta at 9.xx.

Creta is one size up on sub-4 M. Comparisons can be made with one size up and one size down. I didn't compare Nexon to Fortuner that has invoked so much laughter at your end. I had contemplated buying Seltos/Creta CVT but backed out as I considered them over-priced for what they offer. If XUV300 or Nexon had proper TC/CVT, I would have certainly bought. I don't use back seat more than 2/3 times a year. I get to save on money, I get a smaller size car for ease of parking, so what is wrong with it? Do you think car purchases are iron-clad and it is sacrilege to look at a car next size up or down?
pgsagar is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 14:47   #305
BHPian

Quote:

There are many people who compare base or mid variants of higher segment cars with the top variants of these subcompact SUV's. If the Nexon or XUV300 had been available with a CVT or TC, I am sure that there would be some takers for the higher variants of those because they would have gotten 90% of what they were shopping for without having to think about spending more to reach the 17 Lakh+ range.
Shiftlock is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 14:59   #306
BHPian

Quote:

Well, I would like to disagree.

There are so many people who cross-shop between segments.
Related thread (Top variant of lower segment vs lower variant of higher segment)
Shreyas is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 15:13   #307
BHPian

Quote:
A proper-AT Nexons and XUV300 would steal some of the thunder of Seltos/Creta ATs which near rupees 20L. A rupees 6-7 lakh price difference would be hard to ignore and many would accept a few mm less leg-room in the rarely-used (for most) back-row.
Hyundai/Kia already have the answer for this in the form of Venue DCT /Sonet AT/DCT

For the cruise control, thats a big miss for sure in CVT !
Old 24th February 2021, 16:46   #308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
Hyundai/Kia already have the answer for this in the form of Venue DCT /Sonet AT/DCT

For the cruise control, thats a big miss for sure in CVT !
Yes, Siree! They do. But, there is no CVT in Venue or Sonet. My next car has to be an EV or a petrol CVT. I steer clear of clutch-based automatics, i.e. AMT/DCT. Both of these are jerky through gears, in city runs, and reliability/overheating concerns of DCT puts me off. For me, it is liquid-based TC or CVT. Since I used a couple of TC ATs, I want a CVT in my next car. Nexon EV again comes without Cruise Control. I will never understand these omissions TaMo makes. I looked up at Creta, Baleno and Jazz CVT. I know, I know I am aware of the yawning gap between the first and the latter duo, before anyone else jumps at me. Which is why I wish I had something slotting in between Creta and Baleno/Jazz. Looked at City CVT, too but again It's going north of 17 L. Yaris is not to my liking.

That is where Kiger/Magnite CVTs come in. Between the two, I find Kiger interior better looking but when it comes to exterior, I find Magnite better looking. Additionally, Magnite has cruise control. The only concern is 3-pot engine and turbo as opposed to 4-pot and N.A. . But, then I think I can't have everything, so I may have to take a call in next few days.
pgsagar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 19:56   #309
BHPian

Has anyone observed that there are no Turbo+CVT Kigers made available for review during the media drive nor available in the showroom for test drive!

I have a feeling that Renault is deliberately holding off the turbo+CVT variants to see the market reaction and then bring them with options packs (O) variants with all the missing features and higher sticker price.

Since they had promised the Kiger will be cheapest CSUV at launch they probably didn't want the customers to get the shock seeing the price of the high-end variants with all bells and whistles. Since magnite comes with all those features there is nothing really stopping renault from offering them in Kiger as well.
Old 24th February 2021, 20:40   #310
BHPian

Quote:
Same way as people compare Creta with Harrier (add another 298mm). Have you not seen Creta-Harrier comparison? Look on these threads. You will find aplenty. 6 lakh to 17 lakh range? For Nexon, you have taken 6 lakhs value which is base variant. And for Creta it is 17 lakh? Nexon range starts at 7.XX and Creta at 9.xx.

Creta is one size up on sub-4 M. Comparisons can be made with one size up and one size down. I didn't compare Nexon to Fortuner that has invoked so much laughter at your end. I had contemplated buying Seltos/Creta CVT but backed out as I considered them over-priced for what they offer. If XUV300 or Nexon had proper TC/CVT, I would have certainly bought. I don't use back seat more than 2/3 times a year. I get to save on money, I get a smaller size car for ease of parking, so what is wrong with it? Do you think car purchases are iron-clad and it is sacrilege to look at a car next size up or down?
Sorry from my side as I misunderstood your point in your last thread and the my reply was based on that . Sorry if I was being rude back there

What I was trying to say generally was based on the utilitarian as well price ladder where the top-end versions of these BSUV/CSUVs matter to common buyers. The usage of rear seats as a function on buying decision will limited to a mere percentage and for me, the driveability & space matters most (of course safety which is common) when I need to decide on a car. Then the budget comes in. So these two pillars decide which segment to go for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftlock View Post
There are many people who compare base or mid variants of higher segment cars with the top variants of these subcompact SUV's. If the Nexon or XUV300 had been available with a CVT or TC, I am sure that there would be some takers for the higher variants of those because they would have gotten 90% of what they were shopping for without having to think about spending more to reach the 17 Lakh+ range.
Exactly, I completely agree with your point. But this happens when the budget drives the decision. And this is the majority in India so the OEMs are now strategically playing their cards on this (Triber is one example to lure the budget people to come down from Ertiga).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas View Post
Well, I would like to disagree.

There are so many people who cross-shop between segments.
Related thread (Top variant of lower segment vs lower variant of higher segment)
Yes, I pull back my comment as it was a misunderstanding. My direction was to point out the irrelevancy when comparing the two-segment vehicles with actual values. As I said, 300mm is not a small difference and usually, people buy the below segment top variant instead of the upper segment low variants to have more features within their budget.

Last edited by starke : 24th February 2021 at 20:42.
Old 25th February 2021, 15:11   #311
BHPian

Do not know why this manufacturer think this Rear wiper and Defogger feature is a premium ? When Magnite can provide from base version why not other in these so called SUV segments ?
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Kiger Crossover launched at Rs. 5.45 lakh. EDIT: Driving report on page 19-capturekiger.png  

Last edited by arin_12 : 25th February 2021 at 15:12.
arin_12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 16:14   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin_12 View Post
Do not know why this manufacturer think this Rear wiper and Defogger feature is a premium ? When Magnite can provide from base version why not other in these so called SUV segments ?
Renault’s feature list by variant is a bit perplexing, especially compared to the well featured Magnite. For instance:

- Speed Sensing Door Locks are missing in the base variant
- Vanity mirror is only offered in the top two variants
- Auto adjustable orvm’s are offered on the RXL, but foldable mirrors are only on the top variant
- Offering a rear wash wipe on the RXT without a defogger, which doesn’t make much sense
Old 26th February 2021, 08:53   #313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
- Speed Sensing Door Locks are missing in the base variant
- Vanity mirror is only offered in the top two variants
- Auto adjustable orvm’s are offered on the RXL, but foldable mirrors are only on the top variant
- Offering a rear wash wipe on the RXT without a defogger, which doesn’t make much sense
Well, you need to trade those features against Renault wide service network vs Nissan network. The former has a lead here.

Except rear wiper and defogger which I think should be standard across variants, you can still go with the features what Kiger offers in it's variants.
GRAND23 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 09:25   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAND23 View Post
Well, you need to trade those features against Renault wide service network vs Nissan network. The former has a lead here.
Thats the thing. I prefer how the magnite looks and its equipment levels. But ive heard not so great things about their service. That is the main thing that is deterring me from them.
avi550m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 21:04   #315
Senior - BHPian

Renault India will commence deliveries of the Kiger on March 3

Renault Kiger Crossover launched at Rs. 5.45 lakh. EDIT: Driving report on page 19-20210226_210225.jpg

Source

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks