Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2021, 11:54   #421
BHPian
 
Harsha89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 54
Thanked: 106 Times
Default Re: Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Overall, it is a combination of poor tuning as well as gearbox itself
Actually the Compass Diesel AT's outright and in-gear acceleration figures are pretty decent, considering the weight and deliberate linear tuning of the gearbox. Autocar figures put it ahead of both the Kodiaq as well as the Tiguan diesel. I don't see it being the "inferior" gearbox, just that it doesn't excite, building power smoothly.
Harsha89 is offline  
Old 22nd February 2021, 12:03   #422
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 74
Thanked: 90 Times
Default Re: Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled

Yeah it all comes down to the driving style I guess. In my TD on the Facelift's diesel AT I drove around in most probably condition in Mumbai with a mix of open roads and bad traffic and I didn't find it lacking in anyway.
scarezebra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 12:11   #423
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 16,816
Thanked: 34,076 Times
Default Re: Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harsha89 View Post
Actually the Compass Diesel AT's outright and in-gear acceleration figures are pretty decent, considering the weight and deliberate linear tuning of the gearbox. Autocar figures put it ahead of both the Kodiaq as well as the Tiguan diesel. I don't see it being the "inferior" gearbox, just that it doesn't excite, building power smoothly.
It is the inferior box when you drive it against the Tiguan and Kodiaq's DSG. Both are lower on power but the gearbox makes them "feel" quicker.

0-100 times are pointless in real world driving conditions. Here's a recent video:



Also, The Kodiaq is a bigger car with lesser power on paper but still outright 0-100 is just 0.3s off the Compass. What happens to the 20bhp power advantage as well as lesser weight? I think the compass is lighter by ~150kgs.

Autocar confirms the same that the performance while quick is still relaxed:

Quote:
While the BS6 diesel is a bit gravelly at low engine speeds and doesnít quite have that spike of power it had earlier, put your foot down and there is a smooth and linear build-up of acceleration that just feels tremendous. Also, unlike other diesels, pulling this engine hard yields plenty of dividends. It is noisy at high engine speeds, as it revs to 5,000rpm, but it is also quick; 0-100kph takes just 10.3sec, not bad for a heavy SUV like this.

The gearbox feels marginally quicker on the draw too. It is, however, still a bit too relaxed, especially when you want to execute a quick downshift, and there are no paddles behind the steering wheel either.
The gearbox inferiority is the most evident not when comparing paper specs but when driving the Compass manual and the ZF9 back to back. The MT's response and performance is what you miss out on when driving the lazy ZF9. The MT feels like a proper 170bhp engine whereas the same car with ZF9 is more like 130-140bhp.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 12:30   #424
BHPian
 
Harsha89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 54
Thanked: 106 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The MT's response and performance is what you miss out on when driving the lazy ZF9. The MT feels like a proper 170bhp engine whereas the same car with ZF9 is more like 130-140bhp.
Yeah I agree that the Manual felt more immediate and sprightly. For reference, the new compass diesel AT weighs the same as a Kodiaq diesel 4*4, ie. Approx. 1800kg. Torque figures are almost the same for both, but bhp is higher in the compass : 173 bhp -- 150 bhp. During sudden acceleration, torque matters more, while peak performance beyond a certain speed is dictated more by bhp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
0-100 times are pointless in real world driving conditions.
Not just 0-100 km/hr, the new compass AT is faster in comparison during in-gear acceleration (20-80 & 40-100 km/hr) as well. I'm not comparing to claim which one is superior, but I'm merely stating the fact that the issue of 9-speed AT gearbox being slow and unresponsive is not entirely true. There is a difference between being linear and outright slow.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 22nd February 2021 at 13:13. Reason: Merging back to back posts. please use edit option when replying.
Harsha89 is offline  
Old 22nd February 2021, 12:47   #425
pms
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 86
Thanked: 83 Times
Default Re: Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

The MT feels like a proper 170bhp engine whereas the same car with ZF9 is more like 130-140bhp.
Felt the same as stated. Though am not doing an apple to apple comparison and might be wrong, I felt Creta and Seltos auto boxes are configured better and you feel the stated 140BHP of power during sudden acceleration. Tucson too which is more closer price wise, surge felt much better with the Torque Converter gearbox. Definitely Compass is miles ahead on driving dynamics and stability, no comparisons on that.

Last edited by pms : 22nd February 2021 at 12:48.
pms is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 13:38   #426
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 16,816
Thanked: 34,076 Times
Default Re: Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harsha89 View Post
Yeah I agree that the Manual felt more immediate and sprightly. For reference, the new compass diesel AT weighs the same as a Kodiaq diesel 4*4, ie. Approx. 1800kg. Torque figures are almost the same for both, but bhp is higher in the compass : 173 bhp -- 150 bhp. During sudden acceleration, torque matters more, while peak performance beyond a certain speed is dictated more by bhp.
Can you tell me where the Compass weight in India is mentioned at 1800kgs. That doesn't look right to me.

I sort of understand how the torque and BHP works but what I meant was when driving you don't feel like you are in a 170bhp car.

Last year my pick was Compass Zf9 AT and no matter how many TD's I did, I was not able to convince myself for the compass.

In the end I couldn't get myself to spend 32L and had to dig deeper into my pockets for the Kodiaq cause the Kodiaq felt way more spritely in town and on the highway.

To top it off the compass missed a Sports mode which makes a huge difference in the Kodiaq as well as driving modes and Compass didn't even have the paddle shifters for those quick overtakes on highway.


Quote:
Not just 0-100 km/hr, the new compass AT is faster in comparison during in-gear acceleration (20-80 & 40-100 km/hr) as well. I'm not comparing to claim which one is superior, but I'm merely stating the fact that the issue of 9-speed AT gearbox being slow and unresponsive is not entirely true. There is a difference between being linear and outright slow.
But the Autocar review as well as a lot of people I know who have driven it have all said otherwise. Car is uick but gearbox takes time to respond when you need a downshift as well as no Sports mode and paddles exacerbates the slower shifts.

Anyways I will wait for the official review to confirm the same as well try and do a TD Hopefully all others are wrong and what you say is actually true and they actually managed to tune it on par with DSG.

Personally, I enjoyed the MT way more. I needed an AT this time else the MT was a hoot to drive and I still jump at the opportunity to drive someone else's MT especially on open roads. The AT sadly doesn't give me the same feeling.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 22nd February 2021 at 13:40.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 13:53   #427
BHPian
 
Harsha89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 54
Thanked: 106 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Can you tell me where the Compass weight in India is mentioned at 1800kgs. That doesn't look right to me.
Autocar India official review has given it as 1780 kg in their technical specifications box. Also, as given by them, Kodiaq weighs 1800 kg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Anyways I will wait for the official review to confirm the same as well try and do a TD
Eagerly awaiting for your opinion after the official review
Just want to add, that I really enjoy reading your style of writing

Last edited by Vid6639 : 22nd February 2021 at 14:05. Reason: Merging back to back posts. please use edit option when replying.
Harsha89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 15:11   #428
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 39
Thanked: 88 Times
Default Re: Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harsha89 View Post
Autocar India official review has given it as 1780 kg in their technical specifications box. Also, as given by them, Kodiaq weighs 1800 kg.



Eagerly awaiting for your opinion after the official review
Just want to add, that I really enjoy reading your style of writing
Was wondering when do we see TeamBHP review of Compass 2021 - or because it is declared as status quo mechanical and only a cosmetic and electronic update - there would not be a review?

In my novice opinion - the gearbox feel is extremely dependent on your driving style - if someone like the manual rush at the start and just before changing gear - no automatic will give that - even a DSG - Automatics take away that control for convenience they lend .
CarEnthusiast10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 15:59   #429
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Indore
Posts: 15
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Please do share more details: waiting period, any luck with offers, how much did the parcel tray cost?

Also, did you test drive the petrol manual? If yes, did you like it ? Itís funny but I liked it way better than the diesel auto.

On a separate note, in the higher variants, the orange accents on the inside donít really go well with the red exterior. I really like the red colour on the Compass.
I booked on 1st Feb and delivery is expected by 26th Feb.
Got my insurance and hence saved the amount for roof rails and jeep mats.
Parcel tray costed around 6500.

Yes, I test drove petrol manual pre-faeclift. Its super fun. Loved every bit of it. I am a petrol head so didn't even consider diesel due to my low running. Not fan of automatics as I want full control of my JC.
getlakshya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 18:12   #430
Senior - BHPian
 
Pancham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kolkata/NCR
Posts: 1,283
Thanked: 869 Times
Default Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by getlakshya View Post
I booked on 1st Feb and delivery is expected by 26th Feb.

Got my insurance and hence saved the amount for roof rails and jeep mats.

Parcel tray costed around 6500.



Yes, I test drove petrol manual pre-faeclift. Its super fun. Loved every bit of it. I am a petrol head so didn't even consider diesel due to my low running. Not fan of automatics as I want full control of my JC.

A longitude variant with a petrol manual would have been perfect. Nevertheless, the base variant offers great value (~18.9L) as the next variant 'longitude' is close to 4L more with a Diesel engine. Please do share more details about the car when you get delivery.

Last edited by Pancham : 22nd February 2021 at 18:15.
Pancham is online now  
Old 22nd February 2021, 19:14   #431
BHPian
 
amitg79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 370
Thanked: 243 Times
Default Re: Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled

Booked myself a Compass petrol automatic (Sport). Was mulling the black one, but went for the polar opposite - white.

I am getting it through my company car lease scheme, so factoring the procedural delays, should have it by end of March or early April. (hopefully).

I. Am. Happy.

Last edited by amitg79 : 22nd February 2021 at 19:16.
amitg79 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 19:19   #432
BHPian
 
navaneeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: BLR/PNQ/COK
Posts: 105
Thanked: 701 Times
Default Re: Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled

Dealer is still not able to get an update from FCA regarding the delivery date of my Compass. On the bright side, the dealer gave me a pre-facelift Compass Limited AT petrol as loaner car. Someone was getting his 80th anniversary edition Compass when I went to the showroom to pickup the loaner car.
navaneeth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 19:49   #433
Senior - BHPian
 
Arjun Reddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,506
Thanked: 2,827 Times
Default Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled

Courtesy Jeep India. One more commercial.



Do not think she was wearing the seatbelt though. Silly of Jeep to let that happen.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 22nd February 2021 at 20:14.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 23:26   #434
BHPian
 
Moto$apien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 189
Thanked: 949 Times
Default Re: Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Do not think she was wearing the seatbelt though. Silly of Jeep to let that happen.
Look closer my friend, the seat-belts may look camouflaged in the actor's layered attire .

Additionally, the seat-belt reminder would have chimed away to glory throughout the shoot, distracting her a lot.

Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled-seatbeltf.jpg

Classy Car , Sassy Driver
Moto$apien is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 00:38   #435
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 74
Thanked: 90 Times
Default Re: Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled

Finally got an update from my dealer! It seems they received some ETA from FCA. According to the email they sent out the 'tentative' delivery 'month' for my Model 'S' is April! So I am assuming the worst and hoping I get it before April 30th!
scarezebra is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks