Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2021, 12:32   #181
BHPian

Re: Regular petrol hits a century for the first-ever time in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by SN88 View Post
The way the increase is happening is now really pissing off!! I would always think once it crossed 100, people would really make noise and the govt would do some drama and reduce the prices to get some goodies by saying see we reduced prices. Filled up petrol today for 107.6 in Mumbai!!

When is this going to stop? My heart rate is similar to when shorting a stock and the prices starts climbing like a building lift!
My heart rate starts climbing as the meter edges forward! Hate to admit, but I've stopped with the "Tank full kar dena..." and just do a 1000-1500/- top-up as need be. It pinches and pinches harder every passing day. Just shows how the government doesn't care two hoots about the common public. Was expecting some outrage, drama and then a roll-back in prices...but seems we're all just resigned to fate now.
IamNikhil is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th August 2021, 12:55   #182
Senior - BHPian

The state Government of Tamil Nadu has reduced taxes to the tune of ~3 INR, and today morning I filled up petrol at INR 99.66.

It is just a matter of 2-3 days to breech 100 again, with the central Government's unabashed apathy. So yes, but at least a tiny relief from the State Government. Salute to them !
aravind.anand is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th August 2021, 13:00   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
My heart rate starts climbing as the meter edges forward! Hate to admit, but I've stopped with the "Tank full kar dena..." and just do a 1000-1500/- top-up as need be. It pinches and pinches harder every passing day. Just shows how the government doesn't care two hoots about the common public. Was expecting some outrage, drama and then a roll-back in prices...but seems we're all just resigned to fate now.
Resigning to fate will not be easy!!

We have 4 cars in the family as everyone drives to different places and does different things. It costs approx 18k in total for a tank full..
SN88 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th August 2021, 15:39   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

Those who've woken up after a decade of sleep and dusted off their vehicles to get them re-fueled will be shaken to their core seeing the petrol meter fly in rupee terms with the quantity barely moving.

We all have myopic vision and short memories, but I seem to remember that around the Rs.700/- 800 mark would be the indication that ten litres of fuel has been filled into the tank, as of today the number is Rs.1055/-. The more positive among us will be quick to point out that it barely matters, even 4-5 refuels will be about Rs.2000/- extra and that's that.

That never was the point, the point is that I feel the voting class were/are never treated like there is health & economic crises looming in the nation, all I see is that the petroleum industry is making bucks, something people are forced to depend upon, as with cooking gas, cooking oils etc. Massive infrastructure projects are also in full swing as if the concerned authorities are beyond the disease.

It's much easier to assume that every adverse action has a genuine reason behind it and that the government is the tragic figure trapped in trying to balance health and wealth, while genuine voices are trampled towards silence, I assume everyone got the point.
dark.knight is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th August 2021, 16:10   #185
Team-BHP Support

The familiar chap at my regular IOCL pump chimed in today 'Saar, XP95 is only 6 rupees extra, try maadi'. I smiled at him, he smiled back knowingly, took the regular petrol nozzle and started pumping. These chaps used to be pushy not too far in the past, now they just smile sympathetically when you turn them down.

Topping up a little hatch that barely takes in 20 liters and a bit at 3 quarters empty, costs 2000+ INR. Truly a luxury.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th August 2021, 18:15   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SN88 View Post
We have 4 cars in the family as everyone drives to different places and does different things. It costs approx 18k in total for a tank full..
Can totally relate to what you're going through, albeit at a lesser level: We have 2 cars, out if which we're just trying to use 1 and that too, sparingly, to reduce the burden on the pocket
Old 14th August 2021, 21:35   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
The state Government of Tamil Nadu has reduced taxes to the tune of ~3 INR, and today morning I filled up petrol at INR 99.66.

It is just a matter of 2-3 days to breech 100 again, with the central Government's unabashed apathy. So yes, but at least a tiny relief from the State Government. Salute to them !
Completely agree. It's ~3% reduction not bad. Makes a difference over a month. Does not look like Central Govt has any mood. Thank God it's not raised for the last 27days!. Ideally it should have been reduced as prices are going down for all these days! Prices only go up when it goes up and does not come down when international prices come down! What a formula!
blorebuddy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th August 2021, 22:44   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
I am glad that people were vocal to the Local political party.

Lower tax instead of freebies is the need of the hour.
giri1.8 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 15th September 2021, 19:43   #189
BHPian

https://www.hindustantimes.com/busin...684077465.html

As per the above news by Hindustan Times there will be a meeting on 17th of September with the GST council and a proposal will be put forward to include petrol and diesel under GST.

Fingers crossed if that happens, petrol can come till Rs. 75 a litre and diesel Rs.68 a litre.
rahul_kej is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 06:15   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_kej View Post

As per the above news by Hindustan Times there will be a meeting on 17th of September with the GST council and a proposal will be put forward to include petrol and diesel under GST.

Fingers crossed if that happens, petrol can come till Rs. 75 a litre and diesel Rs.68 a litre.

I don't think that's how govt works.
They'll simply add cess /surcharge to make sure the tax recovered by government remains same.
The only change that will happen is that the non-uniformity of state tax will go away and become consistent pan India. But even there who knows if state govts also bring in additional state cess over it.

Bottomline, this is a revenue source today, and no govt likes to give up their revenue source.
rjainv is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 18:35   #191
Senior - BHPian

Fuel prices hit record highs in India
- Petrol at Rs 107.95
- Diesel Rs 97.84 a litre in Mumbai.

Name:  20211001_183246.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  105.3 KB

Over the past year, petrol has turned costlier by Rs 20.41 & diesel by Rs 20.91 a litre.

Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 1st October 2021 at 18:36.
Venkatesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 20:05   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Over the past year, petrol has turned costlier by Rs 20.41 & diesel by Rs 20.91 a litre
I like the awesome strategy of the govt. Increase the taxation on fuel so that the ownership breakeven cost between fossil fueled vehicles & EVs becomes nearly the same someday & owning a EV makes sense.
Old 1st October 2021, 22:18   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I like the awesome strategy of the govt. Increase the taxation on fuel so that the ownership breakeven cost between fossil fueled vehicles & EVs becomes nearly the same someday & owning a EV makes sense.
The day that happens electricity costs would spiral out of control
fazayal is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 15:19   #194
Senior - BHPian

How to de-risk from Petroleum inflation!

If the multiple forecasts are anything to go by, the high petroleum prices are here to stay and even worse is what will happen if the barrel touches $100.

We can argue about taxes, whom to vote for, how governments spend, rest assured friend fuel prices are only heading in one direction, ie. North!

The best way to plan against energy inflation is two fold I believe:

1. Produce one's own energy:
Going SOLAR is the best long term investment one can make. Sacrifice a holiday, buy a vehicle that's segment lower, break an FD, sell unused jewellery... whatever it takes, this is a no-brainer. Solar power is free, makes no sense not to use it.

Per capita electricity consumption will continue to rise along with bills, therefore anyone with the provision of a rooftop/open space and the financial wherewithal must install solar panels in my humble opinion. If you can make something that you currently spend buying, that too with no real effort then why would you ignore it?

This is the right time to avail the multiple govt. subsidies (approx 40%) to purchase before demand rises and the schemes disappear. There is a lot of information/advice available online, whether to be on or off grid depending on states/cities, what size of instalment to choose, what vendors to use etc..etc...

Yet I have relatives who fill fork out far more on a holiday to Maldives but keep ignoring this advice. They don't have an excuse, perhaps there are no social media brownie points when purchasing solar panels. That's what the Govt. is doing wrong, get Jhanvi Kapoor to post pics sunbathing on a solar panel and make this a social media trend!

2. Plan to electrify one's transportation:
Tough pill to swallow I know, especially for members on a car forum. It might not be immediate, but plan ahead. Building/buying a property, then think of EV PowerPoints, buying a new car in 1-2 years then be open to alternative choices..... but one can't keep ignoring anymore. Because right now it hits where it hurts the most, our wallets.

I think for starters most people buying two wheelers will be spoilt for choice in another year or two with more electric models being available. Four wheelers will be slower, but it will happen.

Folk living in high-rises will have it tough, tall residential buildings never incorporated these requirements when they were built/designed. One hopes as technology improves solutions will be found eg. removable batteries.

Everyone complains after visiting the fuel pumps, it's high time we think of doing something about it instead!

Last edited by shortbread : 4th October 2021 at 15:24.
shortbread is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 16:21   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_kej View Post

Regrettably this will never happen for political reasons. There is too much to lose and little to gain financially for the states, not to mention the tax revenue is the best way for state politics to finance "freebie culture" for votes.

The moment states accept fuel under GST - the cascade of producing state <vs> consuming state begins along with the same old fund mediation by centre and then, "we as a state are getting stiffed" ruckus will come right back up. We have been seeing this same issue come back again and again over the years as soon as Brent crude prices spike due to the all powerful OPEC cartel.

Crude spikes triggers supply chain prices spike and refiners want to hold on to their margins, while center and states won't let go of easy money and voila! Here we are - again!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks