BHPian

Re: Regular petrol hits a century for the first-ever time in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Fuel prices continue to rise.
-Petrol Crosses ₹110/liter in Hyderabad and diesel cost ₹103.08/l
Quote:
Originally Posted by aniyo View Post
I filled at 102/ liter for diesel at Vizag yesterday. Unbelievable times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saleem_k View Post
As per Yashwant Sinha, in 2014 Rs.75,000cr. of fuel taxes were collected compared to the current year's Rs.3,50,000cr
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
The government is in no mood to cut the taxes to reduce prices.
500 is the new 100
2000 is the new 500
Fuel prices are sky-high, almost out of reach. Everything gets expensive with an increase in fuel prices from bus fares to vegetables and the rest of the items.
People forget all this while voting.
Sad to see the same Govt. doing this, which was protesting in 2012 when it was far below today's prices while crude was almost at the same.
Link1 Link2
rpmmachine is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 02:51   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmmachine View Post
Fuel prices are sky-high, almost out of reach. Everything gets expensive with an increase in fuel prices from bus fares to vegetables and the rest of the items.
People forget all this while voting.
Sad to see the same Govt. doing this, which was protesting in 2012 when it was far below today's prices while crude was almost at the same.
Public memory is short and politicians know exactly how to latch on to our emotions when elections are around the corner. All parties are hypocrites of the highest order; no one truly cares for the public; all protests are publicity stunts and short-lived. As you rightly said, sky-high fuel prices have a domino effect on essential commodities as well. Household budgets are going haywire. Govt has money to announce big-ticket projects and populist schemes but conveniently not do anything to temper the rise in fuel prices which affects literally everyone across the country (except the politicians and babus of course!)

I always ask just one question: As the govt always claims, if fuel prices are really beyond the control of the govt and have been deregulated completely, how does it miraculously always happen that the rise in fuel prices is halted and/or there is a reduction in fuel price when elections are announced? This just proves that if the govt truly has the will, it can do virtually any and everything...but it won't!
IamNikhil is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 01:28   #213
BHPian

Problem with opposition parties is they are simply not making this a huge issue. The leader send a tweet and go to holiday the next day. On top of it cooking gas and edible oils are so costly nowadays that those people who don't even have a vehicle are affected adversely. Opposition should do dharna everyday on road till elections on these issues if they really want people to vote for them in the next election. So that some pressure is being felt by the govt as well. Right now Govt just don't care as they know opposition is mute spectator.
souvikjana83 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 15:18   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souvikjana83 View Post
Problem with opposition parties is they are simply not making this a huge issue...
Token opposition, that's all.
It's not just this issue where the Opposition has failed miserably to protect the citizens and the Constitution. All the previous opposition parties never really did their jobs, including the present ruling party while it was in the opposition. I find it extremely mystifying that a ruling party can refuse to be part of a Joint Parliamentary Committee investigation or even refuse MPs access to certain parts of the country! The list goes on. The Opposition is supposed to be a check against the power of the government in a democracy, in reality they are in cahoots with the government.

You can be sure that the next party that comes to power will continue to keep fuel prices high and those in opposition parties will again make disapproving noises but nothing more.
mvadg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 15:56   #215

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
Normal petrol crosses Rs.100 per litre mark in two states, Rajasthan and Madhyapradesh. Petrol & diesel prices are increased in India over the years due to massive increase in excise duty. Excise duty of petrol has been increased by 258.4 percent and diesel by 820 percentage during last 7 years.

"After fuel rates were hiked for the ninth day in a row, price of petrol reached Rs 100 mark for the first time ever in India. According to a price notification of state-owned fuel retailers, petrol and diesel prices were increased by 25 paise per litre each. In Sriganganagar town of Rajasthan, petrol price soared to Rs 100.13 a litre on Wednesday"

https://news.abplive.com/photo-galle...e-hike-1444633
Hello...Will it be a good decision to go for a diesel car, new or second hand, for daily city rides and weekend highway runs in today's context
Old 25th October 2021, 00:43   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick 77 View Post
Hello...Will it be a good decision to go for a diesel car, new or second hand, for daily city rides and weekend highway runs in today's context
Depends on your budget and kms you will be driving. Let me give you a scenario.

If you have ₹10 lakhs budget, then in my opinion, if your travel is mostly within cities upto 100 kms, its best to wait till next year for Punch EV, Kwid EV and ekuv100 to launch. Ideally they would be ideal for daily city driving with 150-200 kms range and should price below ₹10 lakhs on road.

For outstation trip, it is better to rent Zoomcar/Revv if you travel even once a month.

I feel this will be the best way to keep costs down to minimum.

Also, if your daily driving is more than 200 kms a day, best to get Nexon EV or if your budget allows get ZS EV. You will be able to do outstation trips upto 200-250 kms a day with a bit of planning when fast chargers are not available. If fast chargers are available on your route, you will be able to do 400-500 kms a day.

Today, I don't see any point in buying Petrol Diesel cars looking at the way Petrol and Diesel prices are increasing. Unless you plan to drive less so that your monthly budget is not affected much.
souvikjana83 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 10:57   #217
BHPian

Paid an eye watering, pocket burning, wallet blasting 116 Rs/Litre at Shell(Bangalore). I have begun driving more sanely to keep the cost/ km down. but how sane can one go to match the cost/km from 2016/17/18?

Is Petrol taxed differently than Diesel .Asking this after comparing the petrol and diesel costs across various cities on Shell website.
The difference between petrol and diesel is highest in Pune and Bangalore . Almost 15rs. Other cities have ~5rs.

Last edited by callmeneo : 25th October 2021 at 11:01.
callmeneo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 11:20   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmeneo View Post
Paid an eye watering, pocket burning, wallet blasting 116 Rs/Litre at Shell(Bangalore). I have begun driving more sanely to keep the cost/ km down. but how sane can one go to match the cost/km from 2016/17/18?

Is Petrol taxed differently than Diesel .Asking this after comparing the petrol and diesel costs across various cities on Shell website.
The difference between petrol and diesel is highest in Pune and Bangalore . Almost 15rs. Other cities have ~5rs.
Experts can shed more light but my guess is it might be due to the tax by state which maybe different for every state. For instance in delhi difference between petrol and diesel is around 10 rs.
Old 31st October 2021, 06:06   #219
BHPian

Thankfully I find peace that atleast we are able to share our feelings in this thread.

I had my gas checked yesterday and the technician was like they are pushing towards electric and piped gas hence cost is higher.
While billing me he took 30₹ comission. I was like yes, while you don't get taxed for this 30₹ I do and he was " we don't earn much " - the point is not on earning, for us salary class people we pay a lot more in taxes that the normal people who just seem to increase commissions to make ends meet. The poor are not affected by a huge margin the salary class are!

I got a cylinder for 903₹ and petrol is 113.20₹ as I write this. A stark reminder that petrol will never be available for 50₹ and gas for 400₹.

Also, now I get why many educated middle class are leaving India forever
PioneerNB is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 09:34   #220
Senior - BHPian

November 2021 has opened today with a price hike of 35 paise a litre for petrol and 39 paise a litre for diesel in Mumbai.

Name:  20211101_093150.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  97.7 KB

Diesel turned costlier by Rs 8.78 a litre, petrol by Rs 7.55 in October. The price differential between the two fuels is now just Rs 8.88.

Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 1st November 2021 at 09:36.
Venkatesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 11:01   #221
BHPian

I drive a diesel Creta 1.4, it gives excellent average most times between 18-20 kmpl and even more. But my monthly 4000 kms running is making my eyes water, going this week to a Tata showroom in Bangalore to book a Nexon EV. I had no plans or budget to buy this. I had planned the next car for 2025, but can't take the rising fuel prices anymore. My fuel bills are up 30% earnings have decreased post covid. I don't see the situation improving. I dream and fantasize about the 'burre din' now.

PS- be prepared for the next 30-50% rise in commodities prices that is coming with high diesel costs. I think the government is doing a criminal mistake by pushing up diesel prices. This is going to spike inflation and everything else and cause the economy to go into a tailspin.

Last edited by mh09ad5578 : 1st November 2021 at 11:07. Reason: Spell check
mh09ad5578 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 14:49   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh09ad5578 View Post
I had no plans or budget to buy this. I had planned the next car for 2025, but can't take the rising fuel prices anymore.

I think the government is doing a criminal mistake by pushing up diesel prices. This is going to spike inflation and everything else and cause the economy to go into a tailspin.
I feel the increase in petrol and diesel prices is being done with a view to promote electric vehicles. There are other factors too but coupled with the rise in fuel prices they are also giving heavy subsidies to electric vehicles. There must be many like you who want to go the electric way to save running costs, which suits the plan and is filling up government coffers with the high rate of taxes. I doubt electric vehicle sales would increase as they are if fuel prices weren’t being jacked up like they are.

I am sure you must have thought about it, still putting it across. Have you factored the cost of buying a Nexon EV plus running costs (however low they may be) to how much fuel you could buy with that same amount if you invest it in safe instruments on interest (principal plus interest amount).

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 15:50   #223
BHPian

Are EVs the answer though? As someone residing in a tier-3 city, we have to deal with frequent power cuts, or 'load shedding' as it is commonly referred to, throughout the course of the day. What if the car needs an overnight charge for the trip next day and there is an extended power cut for the entirety of the night?

Last edited by riturajsharma19 : 1st November 2021 at 15:52.
riturajsharma19 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 20:04   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
I feel the increase in petrol and diesel prices is being done with a view to promote electric vehicles.
If this hypothesis is true, it is rather cruel. Why would the owners of the pertol/diesel vehicles that are already plying on the road has to bear the brunt of this initiative. Why not then instead have the manufacturers cut down the production of sales of these vehicles if that is the intent.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 20:20   #225

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
I feel the increase in petrol and diesel prices is being done with a view to promote electric vehicles. There are other factors too but coupled with the rise in fuel prices they are also giving heavy subsidies to electric vehicles. There must be many like you who want to go the electric way to save running costs, which suits the plan and is filling up government coffers with the high rate of taxes. I doubt electric vehicle sales would increase as they are if fuel prices weren’t being jacked up like they are.

Cheers
If that is the case, then where are the vehicle to buy? Maruti who has 50% market share has the timeline of 2025 to bring EVs. Apart from Nexon there is no other EV in relatively affordable range. No option in affordable range at all. Even in two wheelers we have only handful of options from major OEMs. The market does not see this shift happening in a revolutionary way in next 3-4 years no matter what the marketing campaigns of some startups would want you to believe.
white_wolf is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks