Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2021, 03:43   #226
Senior - BHPian

Re: Regular petrol hits a century for the first-ever time in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_wolf View Post
Even in two wheelers we have only handful of options from major OEMs. The market does not see this shift happening in a revolutionary way in next 3-4 years no matter what the marketing campaigns of some startups would want you to believe.
The revolution is already happening in India's two wheeler space. Right now it's sadly occupied by cheap chinese assemblers. But Ather is already establishing a pan India presence and also working on a more cost conscious model.

I am expecting OLA production and deliveries to go full swing by January next year followed by more models like motorcycles. OLA is the much needed kick up the backside the industry needs.

Bajaj and TVS have already planned investments and production capacity to increase their EV presence, which has been dismal so far.

The entry of India's two biggest players next year, Hero & Honda into the electric two wheeler space will be the industry hitting it's crescendo in the EV revolution. Following this electric two wheelers will continue to aggressively increase it's market share in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_wolf View Post
If that is the case, then where are the vehicle to buy? Maruti who has 50% market share has the timeline of 2025 to bring EVs. Apart from Nexon there is no other EV in relatively affordable range. No option in affordable range at all.
Completely agree, the 4 wheeler EV race in India is sad with only Tata making a genuine effort. Zero hope on Maruti, they are simply incompetent and incapable when it comes to innovation, no surprises there.

The major that has really disappointed is M&M. An engineering powerhouse that once had the first mover advantage, looks completely lost in the EV race.

I expect the chinese like MG, BYD to offer more EVs in India and dominate the space that's left vacant.

India's car industry needs an aggressive and ambitious entrant like OLA scooters.
shortbread is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 06:27   #227
Senior - BHPian

Considering the promises made in Glasgow yesterday, one can expect the introduction of more drastic anti-crude regulations in the not too distant future. The targets set for 2030 are steep but necessary, India needs to stop kicking the can down the road.
shortbread is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 11:18   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
I feel the increase in petrol and diesel prices is being done with a view to promote electric vehicles.

. Have you factored the cost of buying a Nexon EV plus running costs (however low they may be)

Cheers
Sorry mate, I would disagree the fuel costs to EV promotion, look at the pathetic numbers, two - wheelers are a different game, and have we considered transportation costs , fuel for tractors/ farming equipment etc if this was for electrification. Also input costs of petroleum based industries is soaring how does that equate to the electrification. The government has been giving n number of irrelevant and irrational statements for the current fuel prices , from vaccine costs to congress Era oil bonds to winter, to pet tiger etc etc, I'm sure this will be one more argument in that arsenal.

The basic point is the government has failed in its economic policies and is covering its shortfalls by taxing a compliant citizenry. 65% tax on fuel!

I came across a beautiful analogy by PC Sunder. He said, ' a government should collect tax like honeybee collecting nectar from a flower, without harming an iota of it, this government is collecting like extracting sugarcane juice and milking every drop of the pulp".

Sorry for the rant mate its not directed at you but the government. Coming to the economics of it I'm planning to replace my 6 years old duster plus a small down-payment towards it. I'll still save about 12k-15k per month in my fuel expenses after the EMI and charging costs and hence think it is worth all the extra effort.

Cheers!
mh09ad5578 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 18:04   #229

PS- be prepared for the next 30-50% rise in commodities prices that is coming with high diesel costs.

I predicted this a year ago and bought Revolt RV 400 as soon as it was available in my city (Hyderabad). But I feel the pain of my friends and relatives when they go to Gas station.

I completely agree with the statement that rise in fuel prices will eventually lead to high inflation, but I think the reverse ( fall in fuel prices leads to deflation) isn't possible . So, the government must ensure stabilized fuel prices.
rkph96 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 20:48   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh09ad5578 View Post
I drive a diesel Creta 1.4, it gives excellent average most times between 18-20 kmpl and even more. But my monthly 4000 kms running is making my eyes water, going this week to a Tata showroom in Bangalore to book a Nexon EV. I had no plans or budget to buy this. I had planned the next car for 2025, but can't take the rising fuel prices anymore. My fuel bills are up 30% earnings have decreased post covid. I don't see the situation improving. I dream and fantasize about the 'burre din' now.

PS- be prepared for the next 30-50% rise in commodities prices that is coming with high diesel costs. I think the government is doing a criminal mistake by pushing up diesel prices. This is going to spike inflation and everything else and cause the economy to go into a tailspin.

I am on a similar boat of yours, I am confused between the Nexon and Tigor.

I just wanna know if you were in this dilema too? if yes, the reasons for eliminating the Tigor from your list?
Nishith is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 23:01   #231
BHPian

I have started commuting in my ePluto 7G much more than before. I used to travel in my City regularly but now, unless I am travelling with family, which is anyway rare nowadays due to my kid, I always use my Electric Scooter for daily city commutes.

Only when I am traveling with family or if its raining, I travel in my City.

Having an Electric Scooter even from a small company really help in bringing down my travel expenses. I can use those savings towards other expenditures which are inflated like Edible Oils and Cooking Gas.

There is a fear of battery degradation in my Electric Scooter after 4-5 yrs, but its a fear which needs to be seen if it comes true. For now, it's a really good option to have an Electric Scooter or Bike for daily city commutes upto 60-70 kms.

Last edited by souvikjana83 : 2nd November 2021 at 23:03.
Old 2nd November 2021, 23:56   #232
BHPian

Different people, different requirement, different thought process.

Here is my take - Right now, I am am in no mood to pay indirect tax to the Gov. That means, no new car purchase and less fuel purchase / less driving.
aerohit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 02:15   #233
BHPian

Sad part is EVs are charged using conventional electricity made from coal. In times to come Govt will just increase electricity cost and EVs running will become expensive. Look at how expensive CNG has become.

Solution lies in pool share or buying reasonable priced cars below ones budget and putting the savings in SIPs to take care of fuel costs.
heydj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 06:08   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishith View Post
I just wanna know if you were in this dilema too? if yes, the reasons for eliminating the Tigor from your list?
I travel mostly rural and semi rural roads, after using a Duster and a Creta have realized these pseudo Suvs make a lot of sense for our Indian roads. Also a more usable boot in the nexon as the Tigor has a spare and a battery intrusion in the boot. The 2 lakh premium is justified over the tigor I feel. If purely city use I would have preferred the Tigor over the Nexon.
mh09ad5578 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 20:48   #235
Senior - BHPian

This is like poking you with a needle, and they give you ointment and bandage for the wound.

Most likely, the steep recent hikes were purposeful to do such a show-off. A gift? Why the heck do we need a gift? If at all call it gift, reduce the prices by at least 25rs. Most shameful show-offs. Also, after couple days, slowly they will raise the prices anyway. UP elections nearby some gimmick of another price drop may be on cards.
Attached Thumbnails
Regular petrol hits a century for the first-ever time in India-pet.jpeg  

Last edited by funkykar : 3rd November 2021 at 20:57.
funkykar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 22:02   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
Sad part is EVs are charged using conventional electricity made from coal.
It's true that EVs use conventional electricity (mostly from fossil fuels) however one thing to consider is that power plants have better system for management of particulates, SOx and NOx. While older vehicles plying in most part of the country do not necessarily comply with the emission norms, especially outside big cities.
Hence, from environmental point of view atleast, EVs will make a positive impact when adopted on large scale.
Obviously government will try to regulate electricity prices to offset the losses on excise on petroleum.
Risky4327 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 23:38   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Also, after couple days, slowly they will raise the prices anyway.
The principle is the same as with the “Diwali Sale” boards outside shops. They have already increased the prices in preparation, then a sale is announced which attracts people and makes them happy. The important thing to note is, even after the so called sale (price) reduction, prices are a lot more than the what the original price was. Neat trick!

After the Diwali show ends, prices will be increased again with some justification

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 00:09   #238
BHPian

Just read this article in Deccan herald a while back that the govt is reducing the fuel prices, ₹5/ltr and ₹10/ltr of petrol and diesel respectively.

Hopefully it's not just a Diwali offer.

https://www.deccanherald.com/nationa...w-1047069.html
Old 4th November 2021, 07:23   #239
BHPian

I think the only concern one should have is the rise in LPG and Diesel prices. Honestly, I'm not bothered about petrol prices since it is only used in private vehicles which is a Luxury. When one can buy a 15L+ car, certainly they can purchase ₹100/L fuel.

And it is evident here as well with emphasis on increased running cost mostly while putting essential commodities' prices as a footnote.

Either ways, the fuel price rise will certainly give a push to electric vehicles which most manufacturers would keep ignoring otherwise for as long as possible especially when they own 50% market share.

PS: Didn't see a lot of people complaining when heavily subsidized diesel (meant for farmers and transport) was used in luxury diesel SUVs and cars for decades.
devilicious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 07:52   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilicious View Post
I think the only concern one should have is the rise in LPG and Diesel prices. Honestly, I'm not bothered about petrol prices since it is only used in private vehicles which is a Luxury. When one can buy a 15L+ car, certainly they can purchase ₹100/L fuel.
How about all the 2.wheelers used by poor to get around and earn something for themselves?
How about poor guys getting by with an Alto which they may have bought second hand or third hand at mere Rs 50K?

Is every vehicle out there running on petrol costs 15+L?
rjainv is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks