Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2021, 08:03   #241
Senior - BHPian

Re: Regular petrol hits a century for the first-ever time in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjainv View Post
How about poor guys getting by with an Alto which they may have bought second hand or third hand at mere Rs 50K?

Is every vehicle out there running on petrol costs 15+L?
Anyone can create their own definition of poverty. I don't think we're at a stage wherein buyers of used cars can be defined as poor, even if it's a used Maruti.

For people below the poverty line running an Alto is least of their concerns.
shortbread is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 08:10   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Anyone can create their own definition of poverty. I don't think we're at a stage wherein buyers of used cars can be defined as poor, even if it's a used Maruti.

For people below the poverty line running an Alto is least of their concerns.
My point is that it's a ridiculous argument that 100+ for petrol shouldn't matter to anyone as it must have costed them 15+L to just buy the car, and hence they can easily afford any rate of petrol.

World is more than only 15+L bracket petrol vehicles.
Old 4th November 2021, 08:21   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

World is more than only 15+L bracket petrol vehicles.
But the impact won't be the same, it's proportionate. ie someone driving a 15lac petrol SUV will be paying far more for fuel than say an Alto owner. Richer the person, bigger the car, bigger the impact.
Old 4th November 2021, 08:38   #244
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How about all the 2.wheelers used by poor to get around and earn something for themselves?
How about poor guys getting by with an Alto which they may have bought second hand or third hand at mere Rs 50K?

Is every vehicle out there running on petrol costs 15+L?
A slightly different perspective here. If I can't afford something, I would reduce the use of it and look for alternatives. Instead of taking my car for an outing, I will take my bike/scooter. Instead of going to office by bike, I will take the shuttle, bus or metro. If flight prices pinch me, I would opt for train. Even 20-25 years ago, when the fuel prices were comparatively low, my father used to take the bus or train to go to office as taking the car or even the bike daily on a 100 km commute was unaffordable.

We can talk about commercial use also. Even today and in Bangalore, I see hawkers on pick-up trucks, mini-vans, autorickshaw, moped and push-carts, all selling the same fruits or vegetables. Only their scale of operation is different.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 10:25   #245
BHPian

I am a firm believer in "cut the coat according to the cloth".

Last week I travelled to Goa by air. I had planned to drive down. When i did the booking a month before travel, I did a calculation of the fuel cost vs air fare for 3 and found that air would cheaper by 20%. So travelled by air.

In a nutshell, there are many options but you need will power to avoid temptation. Better to opt for what is in your control and let the powers that be do what they want.

Last edited by Aditya : 7th November 2021 at 21:21. Reason: Political comment deleted
Floyd de Souza is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 09:51   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
A slightly different perspective here. If I can't afford something, I would reduce the use of it and look for alternatives. Instead of taking my car for an outing, I will take my bike/scooter. Instead of going to office by bike, I will take the shuttle, bus or metro. If flight prices pinch me, I would opt for train.
The question is why are you forced to do this? (We don't have a robust public transport system is another topic) Haven't we voted for a competent government that should make everything as affordable as possible? Why is fuel being taxed so unreasonably high? Why do the PM and several CM's give us a gift? Why did they increase it that high in the first place; to be able to give us a gift? Also, giving such a gift also proves, it wasn't necessary to raise the prices to that level.
funkykar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 12:00   #247
Senior - BHPian

Guys, already The Official Fuel Prices (The Official Fuel Prices Thread) thread is closed by Mods as debates turned into political arguments.

All points now being discussed here have been debated in detail earlier. Though I understand its difficult to change one's view-point, you may refer earlier thread to buttress your thoughts.
AutoNoob is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 12:45   #248
Senior - BHPian

On a separate note, it is amusing to see the wide variation in petrol prices in NCR.

Rate of Petrol :
Delhi Rs.103.97
Ghaziabad Rs. 95.29
Gurgaon Rs.95.90
Faridabad Rs. 95.22
Noida Rs. 95.51

I guessing all Delhi people are taking some nice long detours every week! I feel bad for the pump owners, that is some crazy differential pricing.
Old 7th November 2021, 13:06   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
On a separate note, it is amusing to see the wide variation in petrol prices in NCR.

Rate of Petrol :
Delhi Rs.103.97
Ghaziabad Rs. 95.29
Gurgaon Rs.95.90
Faridabad Rs. 95.22
Noida Rs. 95.51

I guessing all Delhi people are taking some nice long detours every week! I feel bad for the pump owners, that is some crazy differential pricing.
Except for Delhi everyone else is more or less same. Diesel price is almost similar in all of NCR. Don't know why petrol has so much difference in delhi.

Also, Chandigarh diesel price is 80.90 but rest of Punjab is 86.51. Why so much difference?

Faridabad petrol is - 96.22
Old 7th November 2021, 13:23   #250
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post

Rate of Petrol :
Delhi Rs.103.97
Ghaziabad Rs. 95.29
Gurgaon Rs.95.90
Faridabad Rs. 95.22
Noida Rs. 95.51

That’s for petrol. Delhi govt didn’t reduce VAT on it like the neighbouring two states. Diesel prices are actually 1rupee cheaper in Delhi than in Haryana. CNG prices are about par with Haryana, and a good 5-6 rupees cheaper than Ghaziabad and Noida.

Yes, it is difficult being a petrol pump owner in these times in Delhi NCR. Rates change every other day with significant variation in prices over small geographical distances, due to different government policies. Especially tough if you are located near the border.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 7th November 2021 at 13:26.
Old 7th November 2021, 14:12   #251
Team-BHP Support

A layman only gets two votes: one at the ballot box, the other with their wallet everyday.

Pinch the wallet too hard for enough people, and watch change materialize as the powers-that-be try to protect the ballot.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 14:31   #252
Team-BHP Support

I am waiting for the time that people actually celebrate in relief that petrol has hit a century!

Last edited by Axe77 : 7th November 2021 at 14:32.
Axe77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 16:16   #253

Hi all,

Been an ardent follower of Team BHP for over a decade, this is my first post here, more of thinking out loud, why is it that the taxes are levied in percentage for important commodities like fuel?

Can't we have a fixed tax value, that way we don't have to pay additional tax for fluctuations in International Market?
Old 11th November 2021, 01:03   #254
BHPian

I have these questions running in my mind for a long time.

1. Why aren't automatics available with CNG or LPG as a fuel option? and surprisingly there seems to be no launches in this option atleast in near future. (Nothing even from Maruti that's reluctant to go electric nor have diesel engines. Given their expertise and experience they have with CNG fuel option and AMTs, I don't think this is a herculean task for the giant.

2. Why isn't any other car maker apart from TATA investing on electric cars? I am sure the Japanese and Korean manufacturers are equipped with enough and more technology to compete in this race. But why are they not doing it or taking it at such a slow pace?

Last edited by manson : 11th November 2021 at 08:52. Reason: Typo.
Nishith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2021, 09:04   #255
Senior - BHPian

On a lighter note
Attached Thumbnails
Regular petrol hits a century for the first-ever time in India-fill.jpg  

RM Motorsports is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks