Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2022, 20:08   #361
BHPian

Re: Honda City Hybrid | Unveiled on 14th April 2022

Here in Bangalore, dealers think the autocar pricing might be correct. 22L ex showroom translating to ~26L on road (in BLR) will make it dead on arrival.
shibulijack is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 20:36   #362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibulijack View Post
Here in Bangalore, dealers think the autocar pricing might be correct. 22L ex showroom translating to ~26L on road (in BLR) will make it dead on arrival.
26 lakhs for a car with top speed of 176kmph is a strict NO for me. Anyday I would prefer a Slavia / Virtus 1.5 for that money.

But this is a good option for someone looking at a city car. No matter how much ever the petrol cars quote mileage in city conditions, getting double figure is definitely a challenge. This would be the USP of City hybrid as even in heavy traffic conditions this might still give close to 20 kmpl.

This is definitely a good addition to sedan segment, and people have more choice based on their priorities.
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 10:34   #363
BHPian

I believe the main purpose of a hybrid is to provide better mileage. But I fail to see the point because the cost is almost double to what we paid on our 4th gen City.

On highway runs, I'm able to extract some amazing mileage on our city. A light foot, sensible "predictive" (predicting other drivers' behaviour as well as predicting road conditions ahead) driving works wonders. Attaching a sample pic of the mileage figures after several medium-to-short trips. The onboard meter is a very close match to the tankful to tankful mileage and hence, i'll let the pictures do the talking.

Honda City Hybrid | Unveiled on 14th April 2022-mileage.png

I dont see a point in the Hybrid for such a massive price tag.
vsathyap is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 12:55   #364
Senior - BHPian

With light foot, I am able to get 20 KMPL for my new Ertiga, that too with AC and 5-6 people on board. What extra this car is offering then? may be 1-2 KMPL more? Why someone would pay premium of few lakhs (8-10) for almost the same car? Review shows not much difference in diving too. Honda cannot charge more than 2 Lakhs for this car over normal one. Else it will be sales dud for sure.

If someone has really heavy running every month, diesel still makes more sense. No point in spending too much on this for sure.
aniketi is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 13:11   #365
BANNED

I own a City 2011 MT. I hope Honda Offers same quality and exceeds the refinement with this Hybrid City. Driving experience is not just about fuel efficiency so i donot see any sense on comparison with Petrol / Diesel / Electric Vehicles.( We had a Maruti Stall in our apartment many years ago and i test drove the Ciaz ...During the test drive, I asked the Maruti Rep is it a diesel and he said this is petrol ! Such was the offering from Honda which i enjoy even today ) I would buy Honda Hybrid considering the amazing ownership i have had especially considering how car never fails even when enjoyed throroughly to its limit due to the great engineering at this price point. I am sure Honda has an answer for people in this Hyrbid who wants the supreme reliability , great A.S.S experience and good engineering with added benefit of great fuel efficiency atleast in the city where i believe most life of this vehicle will be spent.
Trust_In_Thrust is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 13:23   #366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsathyap View Post
I dont see a point in the Hybrid for such a massive price tag.
Without AC, 60 kms highway driving, 40 kms city driving per day, I achieved 18.7 kmpl in my 2014 City Petrol. This is due to light foot and anticipatory driving. Nothing more to expect from a 1.5 litre engine. City petrol is very fuel efficient for the amount of pep it offers and with a light foot there's nothing more to expect. Hybrid will have its advantages in urban running where the city suffers due to low bottom end torque implying extra use of 1st gear where cars like Ciaz move away in 2nd gear. But thats about it. Not sure if the extra money is worth spending on a sedan which has its only positive point as efficiency and nothing more. Honda needs to revitalize the strategy with cross over and diesel plus automatic combination for City. Over longer journeys that include 70% highway and 30% very dense urban city driving, again with a light foot City offers close to 16 kmpl which is very nice considering that the traffic I face is Ahmedabad traffic. Doubt if the Hybrid efficiency figures will offer better value than diesel, which happens to be incredibly efficient and trackable motor for normal highway driving. A 6 speed diesel torque converter in City diesel would augment its market positioning.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 29th April 2022 at 13:25.
aaggoswami is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 13:41   #367
Senior - BHPian

The biggest problem, assuming 2-3 lakh differential with regular, is simply that this Hybrid is only offered only in ZX trim, making the only version available very costly!

That means you’ll have to spend more that 20l OTR in most cities just to get the hybrid (even if tu don’t want all features). I understand ours is a ‘feature loving’ country where everybody wants each feature under god’s green earth, this pushes the car out of reach for a lot of people.

I will have considered out Hybrid as my Jetta replacement but at 20l+, I have plethora of other options. I will have seriously considers V Hybrid.
Old 29th April 2022, 13:44   #368
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsathyap View Post
I believe the main purpose of a hybrid is to provide better mileage. But I fail to see the point because the cost is almost double to what we paid .
Why did Honda need so many components to make it a hybrid. They could have used a really efficient engine which acts as a generator only. Then use the power generated to power the motor and use the same motor for regen.
Many other hybrids cars, ships, trains, submarines, mining trucks/vehicles etc use a engine for power generation but all the propulsion is done by a electric motor.

Instead Honda used a engine with a cvt and a motor to power the wheels, then a second motor for regen and a battery.( no idea how many clutch's is there inside to disengage the regen motor, engine and the main motor but logic states that it should have 3 clutch)

One reason could be to make all the Japanese supply chain to still hang in there, Japanese government doesn't want to transit directly to EV because of the massive job losses in Japan.

Last edited by aim120 : 29th April 2022 at 13:47.
Old 29th April 2022, 13:51   #369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
Driving experience is not just about fuel efficiency so i do not see any sense on comparison with Petrol / Diesel / Electric Vehicles.
You are spot on with this. But the members here are referring to the Autocar India's review and different Malaysian YouTube channels' reviews. Those videos, in a way or two, tend to make a point that the City Hybrid's performance and drivability is more or less similar to the current-gen Honda City and lacks the hybrid's initial surge. Moreover, the pure IC mode that kicks in at approximately 80-120 kmph, lacks the punch owing to a less powerful engine that is designed to run on maximum thermal efficiency.

Hence, all other things being constant (almost), the primary thing that has to be considered is the price premium paid upfront against the savings due to the increased fuel efficiency. Having said that, there are few videos out there that show the City Hybrid being launched from 0-100 kmph - the car seems to race off the line pretty quick. I hope we all are proved wrong and the City Hybrid is a better performing and a better driving car than its IC counterpart.
Old 29th April 2022, 13:52   #370
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda City Hybrid waiting period stretches to six months even before launch. Will the same numbers hold after its price reveal?

Link
Old 29th April 2022, 14:06   #371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
With light foot, I am able to get 20 KMPL for my new Ertiga, that too with AC and 5-6 people on board.
Almost unbelievable for a petrol MPV! What is the average speed? I got 20+ kmpl on my Carens, but was driving alone.
Old 29th April 2022, 14:16   #372
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Honda City Hybrid waiting period stretches to six months even before launch. Will the same numbers hold after its price reveal?
I won’t read much into this. This is the latest marketing scam. Project massive success to generate hype and avoid having to discount, while creating background for pushing overpriced insurance and accessories.

The hybrid doesn’t seem to offer any real economy advantage over the existing diesel City, and totally screws up the boot space in process. Add to it these stupid price figures being thrown around. This might very well be a repeat of the Civic Hybrid or the Polo GTI.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 29th April 2022 at 14:18.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 14:20   #373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline6800 View Post
Autocar India says 22 - 25L ex-showroom !

Looks like the good folks at Honda havent stopped smoking the good stuff !

Brand nahin, lekin nakhre phir wohi ! Flashback to Civic and CR-V market flops.
25L would be bonkers. Honda would be absolute nuts if they do that. I hope that's not the case.

Granted that it offers better fuel efficiency and the Honda Sensing tech and all that, but on the flip side it eats into the boot space (which generally is the USP for sedans) and also the full size spare alloy wheel makes way for a space saver. I would stick to the regular one if the difference is more than 2l.
Old 29th April 2022, 14:42   #374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post
Almost unbelievable for a petrol MPV! What is the average speed? I got 20+ kmpl on my Carens, but was driving alone.
Average speed was 80-100 with duel AC on. I drive carefully on highways so as I get max average.
Old 29th April 2022, 15:02   #375
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Hybrid will have its advantages in urban running where the city suffers due to low bottom end torque implying extra use of 1st gear where cars like Ciaz move away in 2nd gear.
This may not actually be solved by the city hybrid. From all the reviews I have read while moving from standstill, the city EHEV uses only the electric motor as far as possible to conserve fuel. All the reviews say that in this mode, the propulsion of the car is quite weak and its only once a speed of 30 to 40 km per hour is a reached and the petrol engine is in operation that the full torque of the electric motor kicks in. The hybrid may therefore actually be even slower than the NA petrol City while accelerating from full stops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
Why did Honda need so many components to make it a hybrid.
The traditional hybrid powertrain model of the petrol engine powering the wheels directly with an electric motor to capture regeneration energy and supplement the petrol engine while accelerating is never as efficient as a strong hybrid. This is essentially because a strong hybrid like the City eHEV can totally dis-associate engine rpm from the actual speed or torque requirements of the car. The petrol engine can be running at its most efficient RPM (say 2000 rpm) no matter what speed the car is going at. Any deficit of energy is provided by the battery and any surplus is used to recharge the battery. This results in a scenario where the engin efficiency and fuel consumption is optimised, but does require a larger battery than the first generation hybrids and a lot of optimisation in every system of the car.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 29th April 2022 at 15:12.
84.monsoon is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks