Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Diesel car - Your take
I will use my existing diesel for as long as possible. And no more diesel will I buy. 266 31.78%
No matter what, I will still buy diesel (NEW) until it ceases to be available 402 48.03%
I already adopted to other fuels. Completely stopped using/buying diesel 59 7.05%
I will sell my existing diesel car ASAP to go for other alternatives 13 1.55%
I was and will be always a petrol head. Never used/owned a diesel ever. 97 11.59%
Voters: 837. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2023, 11:49   #196
BHPian

Re: Is buying a Diesel Car in the next 2 years the right decision?

Going by the step motherly treatment being given to Diesel vehicles, I wouldn't want to put my money on buying a new Diesel car in today's scenario. If I am a diesel lover, then I will look for a pre owned vehicle that will be a bargain buy and will also cater to my requirement of a diesel car. Having said that I own 2 diesels, a Swift 2017 and a Baleno 2016 and love the 1.3 DDIS engine on these. It is so torquey and frugal. The Swift gives me 22 kmpl whereas the Baleno gives me 19kmpl despite having done 130k Kms. I plan to keep them till as long as I can as it also makes sense to do that.

The new Baleno (petrol ofcourse) which I also own, only gives 13-14 kmpl in city which is ridiculous compared to the diesel average of the same vehicle. The Diesel is returning almost 50% more kmpl than the petrol avatar. I am curious if despite the 50% more kmpl, is the diesel still worse to the environment than the petrol?

Last edited by Gupts007 : 10th November 2023 at 11:55. Reason: completed the sentence
Gupts007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2023, 17:47   #197
BHPian

The question to be asked is can Diesel production be stopped ? answer is No.
Diesel fuel is one of the products created from crude oil and it cannot be bypassed during refining process just because our Govt wants to ban it

There are 23 oil refineries in India and many new are coming up. Oil refineries in India will continue producing fuels as long as there are fossil fuel available and they will exist along with EVs and Hybrids.
sulliavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2023, 17:48   #198
Senior - BHPian

The taxes on diesel passenger vehicles will increase as time goes, however diesel passenger vehicles will continue to get sold for many years into the future as long as they are able to keep up with the future emission norms.

With the current BS 6.2 norms, diesel passenger vehicles are hardly polluting more than their petrol counterparts, so in reality, they don't impact the environment significantly more than petrol LMVs.

Also one must remember that for heavy goods vehicles, the default fuel is diesel for hauling heavy loads. These heavy diesel vehicles will be the major polluters and nothing can be done about as there are no alternative fuel options.

The administration's logic of banning 10 year old well maintained < 2 Lac KM run pristine private cars is very flawed.
On the other hand, all commercial diesel vehicles like Taxis and HGVs would have several lakhs of KMs and are at the end of their life anyway well before 10 year mark, but we see old Taxi diesel Indicas etc and old Tata 407 mini trucks belching out thick smoke 100 times the norms. so the administration can ban old commercial vehicles greater than 10 years as they are poorly maintained and at end of life anyway.

There has to be proper thought process before introducing laws that are illogical and cause hardships to mostly private owners only with low mileage well maintainted diesel cars.

Another important point is petrol or diesel are by-products of the same crude refining process. You can't produce petrol without diesel. All the diesel produced has to be consumed in one way or the other, so diesel engines are here to stay until fossil fuels are produced.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 10th November 2023 at 17:54.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2023, 19:27   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gupts007 View Post
The new Baleno (petrol ofcourse) which I also own, only gives 13-14 kmpl in city which is ridiculous compared to the diesel average of the same vehicle. The Diesel is returning almost 50% more kmpl than the petrol avatar. I am curious if despite the 50% more kmpl, is the diesel still worse to the environment than the petrol?
What you have said is absolutely true. For every litre of diesel consumed by a car, the same car petrol variant will be consuming 1.5 or 2 times of petrol. For example my diesel hector returns a mileage of 19kmpl whereas petrol hector owners report an abysmal mileage of 6-8kmpl! Does it justify the banning of diesel? I am not getting into the type of pollutants that come out of petrol or diesel. By simple logic, is it not the petrol vehicles that pollute more by way of consuming more fuel? Experts in this forum may pen their thoughts.
Sedate driver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2023, 22:56   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedate driver View Post
...For every litre of diesel consumed by a car, the same car petrol variant will be consuming 1.5 or 2 times of petrol. ..
This higher efficiency of a diesel engine generates less CO2 emission per KM when compared to a petrol engine.

However as a result of high compression and operating temperatures, diesel engines produce more amounts of Nitrous NOx, Sulphur based SOx and particulate matter emissions which directly gets absorbed in our bloodstream and many other harmful emissions come out of a diesel exhaust.
The worst polluters are trucks. The latest BS 6.2 compliant diesel passenger vehicles have DPF regeneration and Ad-blu which significantly reduces diesel emissions.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 10th November 2023 at 23:00.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks