Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Diesel car - Your take
I will use my existing diesel for as long as possible. And no more diesel will I buy. 266 31.78%
No matter what, I will still buy diesel (NEW) until it ceases to be available 402 48.03%
I already adopted to other fuels. Completely stopped using/buying diesel 59 7.05%
I will sell my existing diesel car ASAP to go for other alternatives 13 1.55%
I was and will be always a petrol head. Never used/owned a diesel ever. 97 11.59%
Voters: 837. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2023, 21:14   #166

Re: Is buying a Diesel Car in the next 2 years the right decision?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead23 View Post
BS6 Fuel was rolled out from 1st Apr 2020 across India, however in Delhi it was introduced in Q2'19.
=====
This has happened owing to delay in VAHAN portal.
Evaluating a Merc : May 2019 manufactured and Oct 2019 registered. RC does not say BS4 or BS6. How do I check which engine it has ?

Last edited by Jaggu : 13th April 2023 at 21:18. Reason: Trimming quoted post
Old 13th April 2023, 23:26   #167
Senior - BHPian

Its been 6 months since I brought home the Diesel Compass AT 4x4. My first car way back in 2008 was a Dzire diesel, followed by the Rapid 1.6 Tdi in 2012, and then the Creta 1.6 diesel in 2018 and now finally the 2.0 fiat diesel in the Compass, the only big difference being that this is my first AT and the 4x4 system is an extra bonus.

Is diesel the sensible choice in 2023? Well, for one, in the Jeep compass the petrol is supposedly really bad in terms of real time fuel efficiency in traffic conditions. This trend is also true with the XUV700. And the Tata SUVs like Harrier and Safari anyway do not have petrol options.

Second, diesel is here to stay in big SUVs for the next 5-10 years minimum. With diesel cars being phased out slowly, I believe resale of such big diesel SUVs will be quite decent ( diesel as a fuel will continue to be sold for at least another 2 decades if not more).

Lastly, there is simply no replacement for the diesel torque! Pulls like a train they say! Although my compass diesel’s AT is a bit lazy, but it surely has bucket loads of torque when you need it!

Last edited by motorworks : 13th April 2023 at 23:27.
motorworks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2023, 08:52   #168
BHPian

Voted for diesel always!!

Diesels have still a long time to go. We can confidently buy them for the next 10-12 years. They will never ever go out of vogue until the government puts up a forced halt on them. The the turbo diesels are pure joy and exhilarating to drive and as powerful as petrol counterparts and more fuel efficient. The CRDi tech has injected adrenaline into the heart and are now nearly as silent and less vibrating and now less or say as equivalent polluting as Petrol counterparts. I love them for their mile munching capabilities and a good mileage. Only thing is they are required to start atleast alternate day and are a little more expensive to service.

I bought a NEXON EV MAX and am fully satisfied but diesel are always a hot favourite for long distance atleast till electrics fully charge up in 15-20 mins max and can drive for 500kms nonstop for quicker long distancing. Till then diesel rule our hearts.

Last edited by DRPSREDDY : 14th April 2023 at 08:59.
DRPSREDDY is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 13:38   #169
BHPian

With all the new technologies needed to meet emission norms having a new gen diesel in the long term may not be as fun as earlier.

Also emission compliance necessitates need to remove the "shove" factor you get in earlier diesels when you pass the engine sweet spot or peak torque band you get smoother acceleration.

Then the need for ad blue is there.

So if you want a diesel preferably go for an older regime model and enjoy the grunt everyday with the fuel economy and a long engine life.
hubolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 18:01   #170
Senior - BHPian

My worry as a current BS6-1 Creta diesel user is this: depending on local and international compulsions, the government may decide to target private diesel users to stage 1) impose higher fuel tariffs and stage 2- impose a time bound registration validity. In any case there are virtually no cars in the sub 15 lac category offering diesel. The rest can very well afford to pay 10 Rs extra for example. Even rural markets are steering away from diesels slowly I am told. Alternatively they can make petrol cheaper to discourage diesel. Stage 2 might be a 10 year pan India deadline.
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 00:24   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
My worry as a current BS6-1 Creta diesel user is this: depending on local and international compulsions, the government may decide to target private diesel users to stage 1) impose higher fuel tariffs and stage 2- impose a time bound registration validity. In any case there are virtually no cars in the sub 15 lac category offering diesel. The rest can very well afford to pay 10 Rs extra for example. Even rural markets are steering away from diesels slowly I am told. Alternatively they can make petrol cheaper to discourage diesel. Stage 2 might be a 10 year pan India deadline.
I am gonna have to disagree here
This seems more like a pure baseless assumption. Rural markets are not moving away from diesels. I live in a tier 2 city. Even here, people always prefer to buy diesels. Only thing stopping them is the car price difference. If the difference was 1L, people would still buy diesel. Also, why would you want to discourage diesels? I don't think even the govt wants to do away with diesels. I believe, diesel is here to stay. And i will forever remain a diesel car owner.
Benoit is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 06:23   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
I am gonna have to disagree here
This seems more like a pure baseless assumption. Rural markets are not moving away from diesels. I live in a tier 2 city. Even here, people always prefer to buy diesels. Only thing stopping them is the car price difference. If the difference was 1L, people would still buy diesel. Also, why would you want to discourage diesels? I don't think even the govt wants to do away with diesels. I believe, diesel is here to stay. And i will forever remain a diesel car owner.
The Bolero remains the only mass market affordable diesel car apart from the more urban chic CSUVs of Hyundai and Tata. Maruti, Tata are out of diesel practically. There may be a latent demand in semi urban markets still but people could be weaned off it over the coming years. It is definitely not a fuel of the future, or at least much less so than the petrol.
Old 18th April 2023, 07:44   #173
Senior - BHPian

Pertol engines are practical (in terms running costs) only in sub 1000Kg light vehicle category. Bigger petrol vehicles are inevitably fuel guzzlers.

Battery tech is still in nascent stages and it will take atleast 15 to 20 years for it to develop and mature that properly addresses range, safety(battery explosions), environmentally sustainable battery production and disposal in EVs.

For heavier passenger vehicles (1.5 to 3 tonne category), diesel engine is the practical choice and will remain so for atleast 15 years from now.
NOx, particulate and COx emissions in diesels have been addressed effectively using DPF/DEF and diesel emissions are at par with petrol counterparts.

I see no reason for the government to continue the harsh ban beyond 10 years in NCR on BS6 phase 2 compliant diesels.
As long as the diesel vehicles meet prevailing emission standards and OEMs figure out cost effective ways of doing so, diesel engine options will be available for a forseeable long time.
for_cars1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 09:19   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Pertol engines are practical (in terms running costs) only in sub 1000Kg light vehicle category. Bigger petrol vehicles are inevitably fuel guzzlers....For heavier passenger vehicles (1.5 to 3 tonne category), diesel engine is the practical choice and will remain so for atleast 15 years from now...
True. Most or any petrol car above 1000kg kerb weight end up being less efficient in real world. Ofcourse, there will be cars like the Honda City, but even then it would need ideal road conditions to be fuel efficient. Most turbo petrols can be fuel efficient given ideal conditions, but in our Indian traffic/roads they end up guzzling fuel. Strong hybrids are the only replacement for diesels regarding running costs, but they have to be priced equivalent to diesels. The cheapest diesel is a good 7-8 lakhs cheaper than the cheapest strong hybrid on sale right now. Expecting the next gen Swift to really democratise hybrids in India.

And of course, we have stuff like this.

https://www.thehindubusinessline.com...le66741430.ece

Quote:
The Energy Transition Advisory Committee (ETAC), which was tasked by the Centre with creating a clean energy transition roadmap, has suggested banning diesel-operated four-wheelers from million-plus populated cities by 2027.
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 10:44   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post

And of course, we have stuff like this.

https://www.thehindubusinessline.com...le66741430.ece

Quote:
The Energy Transition Advisory Committee (ETAC), which was tasked by the Centre with creating a clean energy transition roadmap, has suggested banning diesel-operated four-wheelers from million-plus populated cities by 2027.
Once an RC is issued after road tax with a standard period of 15 years, it should be honored and whatever new rules should apply for only new vehicles.

The 2027 timeline looks like knee jerk reactive half baked recommendation that will not serve the real issue of environmental concerns (Imagine the carbon footprint needed to replace all those diesel vehicles with new ones). There doesn't seem to be any logic unless they are intentionally carried out in favour of OEM lobbies to promote new sales.

The recommendation to replace all heavy transport vehicles in 10 years time with EVs sounds more practical though.
for_cars1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 11:36   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinquecento500 View Post
Evaluating a Merc : May 2019 manufactured and Oct 2019 registered. RC does not say BS4 or BS6. How do I check which engine it has ?
You should find it in the delivery note or the bill receipt for the car, thats where I found it for my Merc. ( I too couldnt find it in the RC).
Also, i could find the info in the mparivahan app too. There is a field called "Emission Norm"
vinay.sathyan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 11:54   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Once an RC is issued after road tax with a standard period of 15 years, it should be honored and whatever new rules should apply for only new vehicles.
This argument was convincing put to rest by the 10 year diesel ban in Delhi NCR. So many existing cars with 15 years on the RC and road tax paid had their lives cut short by a third, overnight.

If such a rule gets extended to other areas, rest assured, existing cars will not get a respite. This is specifically designed to target pre existing cars. Whether this ever gets extended or not is another matter. It is now well established that passenger vehicles contribute only a minuscule % to overall pollution. But they are a soft target for our incompetent politicians and authorities. when they want to show they are taking action, without actually doing anything, they target car owners.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 10:58   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The 2027 timeline looks like knee jerk reactive half baked recommendation that will not serve the real issue of environmental concerns (Imagine the carbon footprint needed to replace all those diesel vehicles with new ones). There doesn't seem to be any logic unless they are intentionally carried out in favour of OEM lobbies to promote new sales.

The recommendation to replace all heavy transport vehicles in 10 years time with EVs sounds more practical though.
That argument is sound but what do you do when Government legislates differently. Take the case of Delhi. The road tax is collected for 15 years, but there is a ban on running 10+ year old diesel vehicles. Owners of these vehicles have not been able to get their Road Tax back.

Logic does not work when there are populist forces in control
Aroy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 12:30   #179

https://krishijagran.com/news/etac-p...us-population/

If this article is anything to go by, it's bad news for prospective diesel car buyers including myself and current diesel car owners.
Old 20th April 2023, 11:07   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC76 View Post
https://krishijagran.com/news/etac-p...us-population/

If this article is anything to go by, it's bad news for prospective diesel car buyers including myself and current diesel car owners.
We are actually shifting the pollution from vehicles to Electricity Generation Plants.

Unless it is Hydroelectric or Solar Power, Electrity generation involves fossil fuels, so there will not be much impact on import of hydrocarbons.

Further electricity in rural areas (let alone remote areas) is a bit iffy in India, so charging a vehicle may be problematic, which will dissuade their use.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks