Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Diesel car - Your take
I will use my existing diesel for as long as possible. And no more diesel will I buy. 266 31.78%
No matter what, I will still buy diesel (NEW) until it ceases to be available 402 48.03%
I already adopted to other fuels. Completely stopped using/buying diesel 59 7.05%
I will sell my existing diesel car ASAP to go for other alternatives 13 1.55%
I was and will be always a petrol head. Never used/owned a diesel ever. 97 11.59%
Voters: 837. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2022, 22:44   #136
BHPian

Re: Is buying a Diesel Car in the next 2 years the right decision?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafia View Post
Implementation across all metro cities is on the cards in the next couple of years.
This will definitely increase the cost of living in metros. I am not sure how people would cope up with increased value for day to day commodities that we buy as these are transported using Diesel trucks.

I think the NGT diesel ban in Delhi would be limited only in the NCR region for the foreseeable future.
vivekkp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 23:49   #137
BHPian

I am a forced convert. I like to take care of my cars and keep them for long. This is challenged by NGT ruling, which makes owing a Diesel vehicle a not so practical decision.

The used car market of Delhi/NCR showcases the ill effect of, in my opinion, a not-so-well-thought-off ruling. I saw a A8 selling for 16 lakhs just coz it was 8 years old Diesel. Pity!
Old 18th March 2022, 01:28   #138
BHPian

Diesel any way. My garage has what i consider as three of the best diesel cars in their segments, a remapped S cross 1.6, a Hyundai Tucson AWD and the 3rd gen Octavia 2.0. After being used to the way these cars drive and the economy they return irrespective of how you drive them, there is no way i can settle with a petrol even if it is a turbo petrol. My driving consists of long trips from the north to south and so petrols just doesn’t make sense as of now.
robby0707 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 06:29   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinghShu View Post
I am a forced convert
Same here.
My wife is adamant this time , to buy just Petrol. She has seen a well maintained trouble free car sold off just because of this moronic 10 year rule.
My heart still doesn't allow petrol...
Her arguments are logical, one country one rule. What will stop NGT in passing this judgement and enforcing it across India ?! There are thousands of impacted people with this rule in NCR, and still was it withdrawn or deferred ?

So I have not yet decided, I do not have the finances to change car every 7 years... (15 lakh vehicle for 7 years, even if sold off at 5L, would mean 10L expense for 7years )
ptaneja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 08:54   #140
BHPian

Diesel anyday. Love the way you can have fun and get great mileage at the same time. I drive almost 50k kms a year and petrols don’t make any sense to me.

Had a fantastic run with my Fluidic Verna 1.6 CRDI. It clocked 3.32L kms before I let her go, and my new ride is a Hyundai Tucson 2.0 CRDI GLS.
drhoneycake is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 09:23   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for "No matter what, I will still buy diesel (NEW) until it ceases to be available."

Not because I prefer diesel over petrol for driving pleasure, but for other practical aspects.

As of now, the most expensive petrol car we are okay with buying is the Ignis. But with limited small diesel choice (Hyundai, Tata, Mahindra), not sure where our next purchase will end up.

The only alternative we see now to replace a diesel would be a full blown strong hybrid. Looking towards the Maruti/ Honda/ Toyota stables to see if any of them could deliver a strong hybrid under 15 lakhs. For the road/traffic conditions near my place, hybrids make sense.

That is, if DRACONIAN SHTTOOOOPID rules like the NGT ones are not enforced nationwide.
Old 18th March 2022, 10:42   #142
BHPian

I will surely miss diesel cars once the world moves to electric a few years down the line. Half my garage is diesel and half petrol, while I still love my honda city ivtec engine, there is no comparison with the 2 liter diesel in my audi A3. Of course it is in a completely different segment altogether, but there is a lot to love about that diesel engine.. Immense power, great mileage (I get upto 18 in highways) and great torque. The other diesel car in my garage is a Thar crde. That is a sweet engine as well, for a jeep.
For jeep/ suv type cars, diesel is more suited in my opinion, since you can use the low end torque more than the petrol counterparts. The mileage of most of the petrol SUVs I have driven were also quite poor.
So, till EVs become more mainstream, diesel it is for me
pyrodrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 10:48   #143
BHPian

I own Diesel and Petrol Cars. For now, I am happy to buy a Diesel if it suits my requirements. Unfortunately or Fortunately, the decision is usually taken out of ones hands either due to diesel engine mark up or due to unavailability of a Diesel option.

The sad truth of the matter is that small capacity petrols and diesels pollute far more than big bore engines that are well tuned. It would be nice if the government moved into an emissions based tax and registration bracket rather than this nonsensical size and time based one.
imp! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 13:04   #144
BHPian

Both our Figo and Vento are diesels. Runs lovely and while both are not driven extensively especially during the pandemic, it would really take a whole lot more than just scary news about environment and trendy upticks to pry away both from me.

I was so much in the market for a SUV and had my eyes on the Kodiaq. And then they plonked the 2.0 Petrol into that and feedback is that under hard driving it gives 5-7kmpl. That's just a wild number to think about if you're on the express lane on a highway doing triple digit speeds. My Vento doing the same will still give me a comfortable 15kmpl.

Totally sucks that we don't have alternatives in the 35L - 40L price bucket for a good diesel luxury SUV other than the space-constrained Compass. The next upward range is the Big 3 where the prices are almost double the Compass.
Mad Max is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 13:29   #145
Senior - BHPian

As much as I love diesels, current bs6 implementations are a pain for City use, and prices are crazy. While I'm keeping my current diesel, i bought a petrol car as well for City use
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 15:42   #146
BHPian

Diesel - Love the torque. You cannot enjoy the in-gear acceleration in a Petrol Car, as much as in a Diesel. Except for the noise, current diesel engines are on par with Petrol.

Electric, maybe in future, when there's no other choice.
Old 19th March 2022, 21:46   #147
BHPian

Voted for "No matter what, I will still buy diesel (NEW) until it ceases to be available". There is a lot to love about diesel engines - well, the good and properly tuned ones. Most importantly, mileage and price/liter still makes diesel engines have a huge advantage against petrol ones. With the current situation with diesel engines, I too was pondering whether to go for a petrol engine for my next car but a recent experience at a petrol pump changed that. It was nothing but the helpless look of bikers fueling petrol(most of them were doing 100 rupee refill).

On a related note, I find it really strange with certain manufacturers preferring Petrol engines over Diesel engines. It should be the petrol engines that should be affected most considering the following. Experts, please correct if my understanding is wrong.

1) Upcoming CAFE II norms will have more impact for petrol engines, with increase in cost required due to hardware changes. Diesel engines on the other hand tend to have reduced CO2 emissions making it relatively easier for manufacturers to scale.

2) Introduction of flex fuels also impacts petrol engines as per my understanding as again the engine design needs to be reworked for compatibility. Not to mention the quantity of sugarcanes and ethanol production from it. This is also harming the environment.

3) Petrol price and mileage of petrol engines(turbo petrol mostly) makes diesel engines have a clear advantage.
techmotor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 01:29   #148
BHPian

Diesels until they cease to exist.

My frugal Figo is still delivers 18kmpl with pedal to the metal driving and 25kmpl under a sedate foot. It's 6 years old now and will most likely be replaced next year. For the life of me, I can't imagine what I would replace it with. The range of Turbo petrols available now just don't make sense with regards to running fuel costs.

My plan is to switch over to electric when diesels aren't available anymore. Torque is king .

Hopefully electric cars will have onboard solar panels as well by then.
Old 21st March 2022, 17:36   #149
BHPian

Diesels till they Die!

I own a BMW 530D, the car is an absolute rocket and puts most petrols to shame. Initial torque is 650 NM and it can do 0 - 100 in 5.7 seconds. I drive with my right foot on the floor at every little chance I get and she still gives me 9 kms/litre. What more can one ask for.
Old 28th March 2022, 21:37   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadCenter View Post
Hopefully electric cars will have onboard solar panels as well by then.
This is a misconception. A solar panel on the car would be tiny and would generate very little power. You won't be able to charge it even once per month from the electricity generated by it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks