Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Diesel car - Your take
I will use my existing diesel for as long as possible. And no more diesel will I buy. 266 31.78%
No matter what, I will still buy diesel (NEW) until it ceases to be available 402 48.03%
I already adopted to other fuels. Completely stopped using/buying diesel 59 7.05%
I will sell my existing diesel car ASAP to go for other alternatives 13 1.55%
I was and will be always a petrol head. Never used/owned a diesel ever. 97 11.59%
Voters: 837. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2022, 16:47   #151
BHPian

Re: Is buying a Diesel Car in the next 2 years the right decision?

I would be buying my first car next year. (from my own money )
Have been driving our family car since 2011, as father always had his company car before he retired in 2019.
Given the long waiting periods for some of the popular models, I have started my research already on which one to go for.
As usual the diesel/ petrol question comes to mind when buying a new car.
My driving experience has been on both types of cars. Santro and i20 earlier on petrol and Diesel Creta since 2016, with around 55k on the odo. Have driven extensively on long trips on i20 Petrol until 2016 and then on the Creta diesel.
To be honest, the cost benefit calculations aside, the quiet and refined diesel on the Creta with that turbo and low end torque of the diesel has spoiled me. I just cant make up my mind to drive a petrol again. On the Diesel Creta the clutch is just as light as any petrol car and sitting inside the cabin you would really have to make an effort to notice the difference compared to a petrol.
While the gap between the cost of diesel and petrol is narrowing, but there is still that difference in the mileage. For larger cars like Creta/ Harrier etc, which is the segment I am looking for, the mileage for petrol cars is usually in single digits in city and for diesel its usually 15+. With my sedate driving style, our Creta easily manages 17+ Kmpl and around 20 on highways.
Looking at the variants, there is usually a 1 lakh difference between petrol and diesel. Since I plan to keep the car for 8+ years, I can easily breakeven and even have some savings with a diesel. On the maintenance front, I don't really find much difference between the two.

So again it is going to be a diesel for me, if there are budgetary constraints, I would even go for a lower variant (not compromising on safety), but still go for a diesel.

Last edited by ishan12 : 25th May 2022 at 16:49.
ishan12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2022, 07:58   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishan12 View Post
Looking at the variants, there is usually a 1 lakh difference between petrol and diesel. Since I plan to keep the car for 8+ years, I can easily breakeven and even have some savings with a diesel.
Is it the case with Creta or some other car? In other cars which I have been considering the difference is usually 2 lacs or more.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 2nd December 2022 at 15:11. Reason: typos
Old 1st June 2022, 18:35   #153
BHPian

Having owned a Honda City(petrol) and now driving a VW TDI, the difference in low end torque is enormous.

The diesel makes more sense for me as I drive a minimum of a couple thousand kilometres per month. The occasional Goa trips once every six months pile up the kilometres from time to time and every time I go for a long drive, the low end torque delights me to no end.

With sedate driving and the ac off, the car mileage goes up to 22kmpl (tank full to tank full). Comparing the cost of a trip to Goa with a TSi/MPI showcases the massive difference.

To put things into perspective, I drove down to Goa and back on 60 litres of diesel (6k), whereas a petrol car would cost me almost the same to just go one way.

I was fortunate to get the last gen of the Ameo TDI, choices in the current diesel lineup from all manufacturers are either expensive or non existent in the sub 10 lakh range.

The CNG option is even cheaper, but it comes at a cost of even more diligent maintenance as well as reduced engine life in the long run, despite being flexible supporting 2 fuels.

I am sticking to my diesel Ameo for as long as it lasts and then some.
Old 6th June 2022, 15:29   #154
BHPian

Quote:
My driving experience has been on both types of cars. Santro and i20 earlier on petrol and Diesel Creta since 2016, with around 55k on the odo. Have driven extensively on long trips on i20 Petrol until 2016 and then on the Creta diesel.
To be honest, the cost benefit calculations aside, the quiet and refined diesel on the Creta with that turbo and low end torque of the diesel has spoiled me. I just cant make up my mind to drive a petrol again. On the Diesel Creta the clutch is just as light as any petrol car and sitting inside the cabin you would really have to make an effort to notice the difference compared to a petrol.
While the gap between the cost of diesel and petrol is narrowing, but there is still that difference in the mileage. For larger cars like Creta/ Harrier etc, which is the segment I am looking for, the mileage for petrol cars is usually in single digits in city and for diesel its usually 15+. With my sedate driving style, our Creta easily manages 17+ Kmpl and around 20 on highways.

So again it is going to be a diesel for me, if there are budgetary constraints, I would even go for a lower variant (not compromising on safety), but still go for a diesel.
Quoting your post as my question was regarding Creta automatic variants, with respect to Petrol Vs Diesel. My usage is limited to 5k-7k per year. So in ideal scenario, I have to go for Petrol IVT variant of Creta. I drove Honda Amaze petrol for seven years and I was looking to go for diesel this time. I test drove both IVT and D AT and impressed with both the vehicles. IVT drove like an EV and D AT drove like a petrol. Finally booked Creta SX(O)D AT and still in a dilemma whether my choice of going for a diesel is relevant for my usage or not. I am not really sure what extra burden I have to carry on my shoulder in future with respect to a diesel engine in 2022.
Could you please provide your suggestions on the same.
Old 7th June 2022, 16:36   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pran View Post
Is it the case with Creta or some other car? In other cars which I have been considering the difference is usually 2 lacs or more.
I was looking at the Creta primarily. Because in the segment, I guess only Creta and Seltos have diesel engine option. Harrier is offered in only diesel, so there is no comparison there.

https://www.v3cars.com/reviews/hyund...hich-is-better

Check out the above article, for most variants the difference is under 1 lakh and since I plan to use it for more then 8 years, I can easily recover the extra money spent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickstead View Post
Could you please provide your suggestions on the same.
Have been driving our Creta 1.4 Turbo diesel since 2016, with more than 55k on the odo. There are no burdens as such. In fact I find it more fun to drive compared to the NA petrols, specially on the highways. The service costs are almost the same as petrol. The clutch is really light and I have had no problems in bumper to bumper traffic. NVH levels are quite contained and sitting inside, its hard to guess if its a petrol or diesel.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 2nd December 2022 at 15:11. Reason: quoted post edited
ishan12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2022, 11:52   #156
BHPian

Hello Members, sorry to post this question here. Not sure, if this is the right forum to post my query. I have a 2015 registered 7.5 years old Honda mobilio I-dtec which has done 121500 kilometers. The validity of registration on RC book is for 15 years. Other than the regular maintenance, till date it has not incurred any heavy expense. In my last service, the advisor asked me to change all the 4 suspensions, go for a clutch overhaul, change the disc brakes and change hydraulic engine mount. I stay in Faridabad, which is a part of Delhi/ncr. Considering the monstrous 10 year rule for diesel cars in Delhi/ncr, i am not sure if i should be keeping it or selling it now. When i consulted some lawyers in court, they told me that there is no such restrictions of 10 years in Faridabad. Although, i cannot take my car to Delhi or Gurugram.

I got it valued from one of Maruti true value and am getting a price of 340000/- which is equivalent to what is mentioned on my insurance paper. Should i keep it or sell it? My budget is maximum 12-13 lakhs and am looking to buy an automatic sedan. I am eyeing Ciaz Alpha AT. But the thought of parting with my Honda leaves me guilty.

An early reply is awaited from the experienced members of the forum.

Requesting Mods to please move this post to the correct forum if i have wrongly posted it here. Thanking everyone in advance for their advice.

Last edited by su1978 : 2nd December 2022 at 11:53. Reason: Additions to post
Old 2nd December 2022, 12:40   #157
Senior - BHPian

In Delhi the validity of RC book has no value, as diesel cars older than ten years are banned from plying in NCR. You never know when they will actually ban BS4 vehicles. So it is safer to get vehicles with latest BS

Rather than spendind money on repairs, it would be wiser to sell it off, else the resell value will plumet to 50k or less in the 9th year.

I would get either Maruti Ertiga or Ciaz, both petrol versions. Maruti resell value is the best and their service cost is one of the lowest, apart from the fact that they have presence practically every where in India.

If you get a Maruti car, then you can negociate with true value :

. For better price as an exchange
. Transfer the no-claim-bonus (if any) to the new car. As the Insurance is around 3% of the IDV, it should be around 30K for 10L car. Even 25% reduction is worth it.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2022, 14:00   #158
BHPian

Quote:

https://www.v3cars.com/reviews/hyund...hich-is-better

Check out the above article, for most variants the difference is under 1 lakh and since I plan to use it for more then 8 years, I can easily recover the extra money spent.

That article is not considering the additional diesel maintenance cost and also additional insurance cost of more costly vehicle. if you consider that then KMs will come down. Let's not even consider the additional amount you paid upfront.
By the way car is not just about going from A to B, the diesel is addictive so no cost can bring that smile when you overtake on highway (may be some petrol Turbos)
Old 2nd December 2022, 15:34   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
In Delhi the validity of RC book has no value, as diesel cars older than ten years are banned from plying in NCR. You never know when they will actually ban BS4 vehicles. So it is safer to get vehicles with latest BS

Rather than spendind money on repairs, it would be wiser to sell it off, else the resell value will plumet to 50k or less in the 9th year.

I would get either Maruti Ertiga or Ciaz, both petrol versions. Maruti resell value is the best and their service cost is one of the lowest, apart from the fact that they have presence practically every where in India.

If you get a Maruti car, then you can negociate with true value :

. For better price as an exchange
. Transfer the no-claim-bonus (if any) to the new car. As the Insurance is around 3% of the IDV, it should be around 30K for 10L car. Even 25% reduction is worth it.
Thanks sir for the reply. But not sure how normal public would react to banning of BS4 vehicles. Probably, government would consider only BS4 diesel powered vehicles. Talking about resale value, yes, you are correct. Maruti cars have highest resale value. Honda does not give a proper value for their own vehicles whereas maruti gives the price which is almost double of what Honda had to offer for my Mobilio. Although it would have been a stretch, but I considered Slavia also as an option. But i have a very bad reputation. The cars that i buy, company shuts down its operations or stops the production of that particular model.. Hence opted out

Owing to huge number of vehicles on the roads, almost every mechanic knows the in-out of all the Maruti vehicle plying on the road. Spares are available everywhere. It has very high level of customization and after-market accessories are available in plenty.

WRT, No claim bonus, i talked to the dealership and they want to discuss with me about NCB transfer to the insurance of new car.
Old 2nd December 2022, 17:48   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by su1978 View Post
Thanks sir for the reply. But not sure how normal public would react to banning of BS4 vehicles. Probably, government would consider only BS4 diesel powered vehicles. ..................
Polititians pander to the current sentiment, so banning BS4 cars will not come as a surprise to me. They did so (for a short period) for BS4 diesels. So banning is a political move and has very little to do with pollution.

Have you noticed that for two wheelers there is practically no ban what ever their vintage. The reason is that two wheeler owners are a major vote bank, and any way do not care a damn. I know of a lot of persons who run without any insurance or road tax (where ever the vehicles are sold with lesser duration tax).
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2023, 19:34   #161

Cross-posting my query from another thread

Planning to buy a pre-owned luxury car (BMW X3/Merc GLC/Audi Q5). Most of the cars available with dealers (including Spinny) are around 5 years old (2017-2019), and 90% of these are diesel.

The question I have if there should be a preference between diesel and petrol ? Now manufacturers are shifting to petrol for new ones, partly due to stringent emission norms. Will diesel have lesser future life / validity as compared to petrol from a RC perspective? (I am in Bangalore but Delhi/NCR has only 10 yrs for diesel cars)

Will appreciate any guidance on this..don't want to be stuck in buying a 5 yr old diesel, & then the valid life of car is reduced due to regulations, or have a very low resale value later. Thanks
Old 31st January 2023, 20:45   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinquecento500 View Post
Cross-posting my query from another thread

Planning to buy a pre-owned luxury car (BMW X3/Merc GLC/Audi Q5). Most of the cars available with dealers (including Spinny) are around 5 years old (2017-2019), and 90% of these are diesel.

The question I have if there should be a preference between diesel and petrol ?
Don’t buy any pre owned petrol car unless it is E20 compliant. That’s the fuel we are going to get in the future, and if the engine is not compatible, you’ll end up with a maintenance nightmare. Check the owner’s manual explicitly for the fuel rating of every individual car in consideration before you make any decision. BMW petrol engines are rated for E25.

Diesel is a relatively safer bet as you are not based in Delhi NCR. Any BS6 diesel can be considered.

We had a major transition in fuels a few years back when we switched to low sulphur BS6 diesel. We are on the cusp of another one with E20 petrol. Be sure your pick is future proof.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 31st January 2023 at 20:49.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 31st January 2023, 20:48   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Don’t buy any pre owned petrol car unless it is E20 compliant. That’s the fuel we are going to get in the future, and if the engine is not compatible, you’ll end up with a maintenance nightmare. Check the owner’s manual explicitly for the fuel rating of every individual car in consideration before you make any decision. BMW petrol engines are rated for E25.

Diesel is a relatively safer bet as you are not based in Delhi NCR. Any BS6 diesel can be considered.
Thanks. But if the diesel car is around 5 years old, will it be BS6 at all ?

Will check on petrol E20 as well.
Old 31st January 2023, 22:22   #164
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. But if the diesel car is around 5 years old, will it be BS6 at all ?.
No. BS6 came in 2020.

BS4 diesel engines are known to develop fuel pump related issues over time with continuous use of low sulphur BS6 diesel fuel. Again, you risk expensive maintenance.
Old 31st January 2023, 22:44   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. But if the diesel car is around 5 years old, will it be BS6 at all ?

Will check on petrol E20 as well.
BS6 Fuel was rolled out from 1st Apr 2020 across India, however in Delhi it was introduced in Q2'19.
I clearly remember it as I used to drive a Diesel then and preferred BS4 Diesel fill ups at UP/HR border.

And in late 2019 some of the luxury brands early launched their BS6 iterations in India.

So you can check with the dealership for the exact type of engine, As there might be a possibility that despite being a BS6 model they are still registered as BS4 on RC. This has happened owing to delay in VAHAN portal.
Motorhead23 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks