Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2021, 12:45   #16
BHPian

Re: Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview

This is a poor attempt from Skoda. A spacious and comfortable back seat with good underthigh support is key for a vehicle to succeed in this segment. This is the reason why verna failed despite it's other many positives like the engines and service backup. With the infamous Skoda service I don't see how this car will succeed.
The car may get some initial sales due to the novelty value but it will be all downhill in a few month's time
vishnurp99 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 13:03   #17
BHPian

Thanks for excellent review so quickly.
Apart from height adjustable seat belts, Slavia has got everything i.e. elegant design, safety, sunroof, ground clearance equipped with modern features.
The only thing that could hurt Slavia is VAG's reputation in India.
Old 22nd November 2021, 13:11   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurp99 View Post
This is a poor attempt from Skoda. A spacious and comfortable back seat with good underthigh support is key for a vehicle to succeed in this segment. This is the reason why verna failed despite it's other many positives like the engines and service backup. With the infamous Skoda service I don't see how this car will succeed.
Skoda has been working on their warranty and maintenance plans, and Zac seems to be more approachable customers than the market leader Honda.

Also, the market leader City was always known for it's low seats, but made up with good legroom which the Slavia seems to also possess + better build, ride and handling, power plants.
The Verna was not only low, but cramped - I've sat in sub 4M sedans that had more usable legroom on offer.

That being said, in all probability, the Kushaq may trumph the Slavia's sales figures once things settle down.
lamborghini is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 13:34   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Also what I did not like is the usage of chrome. Damn even the door handles are chrome, never remember seeing any ŠKODA with chrome door handles in the past. Guess it’s what market wants and spoils the otherwise classy looks
I really don't understand the Indian market's affinity for chrome, it looks tacky, especially chrome doorhandles. They seem to think splashing chrome everywhere is a sign of luxury and class when in fact it achieves the opposite.
rbp25 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 14:09   #20
BHPian

I sincerely hope and pray from the bottom of my heart for this car to suceed in the market and bring back the golden era of sedans ruling the market. This is truly a genuine attempt from Skoda. I didn't really like the Kushaq, but the Slavia is really promising.

I see no reason as to why customers should avoid sedans. Particularly the Slavia. Looks like the Slavia has high ground clearance; almost in the league of the Kushaq. If ithas similiar ground clearance, Slavia should be the choice amongst the two. Reason: better driving dynamics, humongous boot, and most importantly, its a SEDAN!

Get your pricing and service right Skoda, and you will have a winner in your hands.
saikishor is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 14:16   #21
BHPian

The Slavia has "slayed it" from a design perspective!

Since I have not gotten a chance to sit in the car, I'm very curious to know how it fares against the Rapid and Kushaq in the backseat space area. Can It seat 3 medium size adults in comfort?

Makes me go off topic and wonder, which is the "Widest" sedan today in this price range
Arjun Bharadwaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 14:19   #22
BHPian

Wow, the spare gets the same spec as the other 4 We don't see this in other launches nowadays.
livetodrive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 14:21   #23
BHPian

Thanks for the preview Aditya. Great job as always. Waiting for your remarks on the ride and handling although I am not anticipating any damp squibs there considering its a Skoda product.

Coming to the car - Wow, that's one handsome looking sedan . I am a fan already. The carbon steel color especially is a stunner although I am yet to see a real life pic of all the other color offerings. But it would be safe to say that Skoda cars generally look classy in white so I guess that would be my color choice if I have to buy one.

Having said that, the dual tone alloys don't look particularly great on an otherwise beautiful car. The design looks a bit confusing and unnecessarily convoluted. But that's just my opinion based on the photos that I have seen so far. I hope they look better in person.

Pricing will be the key. Hope Skoda is pragmatic with the pricing and doesn't get carried away with the public interest that's been generated around this.
Old 22nd November 2021, 14:29   #24
BHPian

I just love the looks of this car especially in the red. Only thing stopping me would be the lack of space for the 3rd passenger and the low slung seat. I was looking at replacing my Yaris next year and had hopes from Slavia. The Yaris too does not seat 3 properly at the back. I am 6'1" and my son 6"3, so we always occupy the front seats.

Looks like I will have to only look at Harrier or XUV 7OO as a comfortable 5 seater. Maybe next year, there will be some discounts of the Harrier, once XUV eats into their sales.
Old 22nd November 2021, 14:31   #25
BHPian

What a looker! While the Japanese (City) has a certain tech/robotic look to it, the Slavia really is one of the better looking sedans in quite some time in India. Has a certain muscular feel to the design, which by no means is overdone. It's a good thing that it resembles the Octavia from some angles.

For those familiar with the Ford Fusion sedan, the side profile actually reminds me of that car. Maybe its the A,B & C pillars, or maybe its the character line that links both the door handles and the rear lights.
Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-images-32.jpeg

I'm a huge fan of the S60 Polestar and now I'm dreaming of a dechromed Crystal blue Slavia.
Poor man's Polestar, anyone?
Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-skoda_slavia_exterior_ii.jpg
Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-volvos60polestar6168_27.jpgSkoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-volvos60polestar6168_9.jpg

Last edited by John316_WRC : 22nd November 2021 at 14:40.
John316_WRC is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 15:30   #26
BHPian

Thank you for the super review with lots of details. This is helpful while waiting for the TD.

Slavia coming in should shake up things a bit in the compact sedan segment which is a good thing in my opinion.

Things are looking for for 2022 with many new options to look forward to.
Old 22nd November 2021, 16:00   #27
Senior - BHPian

I like the overall design. Very close to Octavia. I'll be surprised even if it is priced neck to neck with its primary rival, the Honda City, leave alone undercutting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
[center]

Skoda Slavia Preview

Slavia measures 4,541 mm, 1,752 mm and 1,487 mm in L x W x H respectively, with a wheelbase of 2,651 mm.
Size wise it looks very close to Skoda Laura.

Here are the dimensions for Skoda Laura.
4,569 mm, 1,769 mm and 1,485 mm (L x W x H)
Wheelbase of 2, 578 mm, GC 164 mm

Last edited by HammerHead : 22nd November 2021 at 16:02.
HammerHead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 16:11   #28
Team-BHP Support

Seeing a full sedan in this space is so refreshing nowadays. Outside the premium segment, Skoda probably is the only manufacturer in India with a sedan option in all segments (excluding the sub-compact segment). And even with that overload of chrome, the Slavia looks pretty good in almost all paint shades. Having said that, I am a bit disappointed the with interiors – maybe an attempt to please both beige and black lovers, those seat covers give an aftermarket option feel – full black or beige option would have been better. And I hope there won’t be much localization (cost-cutting) niggles this time around.
vb-saan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 16:28   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by John316_WRC View Post

I'm a huge fan of the S60 Polestar and now I'm dreaming of a dechromed Crystal blue Slavia.
Poor man's Polestar, anyone?
Attachment 2235725
Attachment 2235726Attachment 2235727
I think the polestar blue is comparable to F type blue rather than Slavia.

I think this Blue colour is without a metallic finish
Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-5ced7fb67bf2437582f4834a0ee30d92.jpeg

I think Slavia’s blue colour is similar to Ameo’s blue colour may be a touch lighter.

Blue colour with metallic finish
Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-c699ede38d024feb815ece09c123fcc1.jpeg
amvj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 16:39   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
I think Slavia’s blue colour is similar to Ameo’s blue colour may be a touch lighter.
Here's a link to the autocar preview, should give you a nice idea of the blue colour.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks