Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2021, 08:59   #136
BHPian

Re: Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview

Any chance at all for a diesel option being offered with the Slavia any time in the future? Even the old 1.5 will do. Current options does not make sense to me considering my daily running but this is a fantastic car otherwise, so cannot ignore it either.

Last edited by SaiSW : 7th December 2021 at 09:01.
SaiSW is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 09:21   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
Any chance at all for a diesel option being offered with the Slavia any time in the future?
I was in the same dilemma as you some time back, particularly considering the high running. It does not look like Skoda/VW group is interested in bringing their diesel options to India, what with recent and upcoming launches all having their beautiful 1L and 1.5L Tsi engines. 1.5L engine with active cylinder technology should be more fuel efficient too: dare we say, close to diesel level ? The way I look at it (compared to diesel options), the torque figures are pretty much there (250 Nm) with much higher power, minor adjustment has to be made in FE, but then a much more refined engine

Last edited by stringbh : 7th December 2021 at 09:29. Reason: more information
stringbh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 09:31   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Any chance at all for a diesel option being offered with the Slavia any time in the future? Even the old 1.5 will do. Current options does not make sense to me considering my daily running but this is a fantastic car otherwise, so cannot ignore it either.
I think not. VW have been moving away from diesels from sometime and bringing it to India along with their complete Euro 6 package in order to meet BS6 norms is going to be impractical and expensive. Hence at least I do not see VW bringing diesels back into the game and would rather work on their electric strategy once the C SUV and sedan offerings are sorted out.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 09:44   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsi_niks1989 View Post
Below video tells the Skoda-VW story very clearly:

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=Etf3yMznKN4
Fair enough. So a Maruti and Tata which use Fiat's Multijet engines also become a Fiat? No. That's focusing on your strengths and outsourcing something which is not. FCA owns Jeep and Jeep uses Fiat's Multiair/Multijet Engines. No one calls Jeep as a Fiat or even Stellantis for that matter. People love to take pride in Jeep's history (American). All I am saying is to recognise Skoda as a Czech brand and associate pride to Czech people who work in design and development of their products. BTW, it's SKODA which is making VW engines since 2012. They are definitely not back office of VW group much like a lot of IT professionals in India.

I have only owned one Skoda so far in life and have come close to buying another several times and ended up buying something else.
vivekshukla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 10:16   #140
BHPian

Quote:
I don't think VAG will bring diesel in India again ( in near future ).
Diesel engines will get phased out by other Manufacturers as well in near future. This is mainly due to the stricter emission norms and climate change initiatives.

Here is what MSI Chief Technical Officer C.V. Raman said recently
Quote:
We are not going to be in the diesel space. We had indicated earlier that we will study it and if there is customer demand we can make a comeback. But going forward, we will not be participating in the diesel space.
Quote:
In 2023 the new phase of emission norms will come which is likely to drive up the cost. So we believe that diesel percentages may further come down. We do not know about the competition but as MSI we do not have any intention to participate in the diesel space.
So, expect diesel vehicle resale value to drop as well in future.

Link to the article
rAijin_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 12:32   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rAijin_ View Post

So, expect diesel vehicle resale value to drop as well in future.
On the contrary, The higher cost of buying new Diesel vehicles would create a demand for pre-owned diesel vehicles, thanks to fuel efficiency of diesel engines and likely increase in cost of petrol once Biofuel is introduced.
vagman is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 11:02   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stringbh View Post
I was in the same dilemma as you some time back, particularly considering the high running. It does not look like Skoda/VW group is interested in bringing their diesel options to India, what with recent and upcoming launches all having their beautiful 1L and 1.5L Tsi engines. 1.5L engine with active cylinder technology should be more fuel efficient too: dare we say, close to diesel level ? The way I look at it (compared to diesel options), the torque figures are pretty much there (250 Nm) with much higher power, minor adjustment has to be made in FE, but then a much more refined engine

Yeah, diesel not coming back for sure, but i do agree with Petrol TSI analysis, good engine and claimed ARAI milage of ~18 kmpl and with Petrol's low cost AMC maintenance package of around 16K for 4 years, Petrol will end up being better deal even with higher usage.
mytbhp_turbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2021, 23:10   #143
Distinguished - BHPian

So when is the next milestone in this journey from the unveil till delivery? Is there any info on when price announcement and variant details will be made? I am stuck between the Kushaq/Slavia/Taigun and in case they price the Slavia at par or beyond the CSUV sibilings then I would settle for the Taigun itself. But if the pricing of 1.0 is against the C Segment sedans and a 2L premium for the 1.5L+DSG, then it would slightly undercut the Kushaq. Hence its a confusing place to be in.

Last edited by audioholic : 11th December 2021 at 23:13.
Old 12th December 2021, 08:35   #144
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
So when is the next milestone in this journey from the unveil till delivery?
Not sure what is the use of releasing teasers after unveiling the car - but Skoda went ahead and released these design sketches the day before.

VW group should rethink this drop by drop information release strategy.

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-exteriorsketch_spz_virtusroad.jpg

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-exteriorsketch_spz_virtusorangerear1920x694.jpg

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-exteriorsketch_spz_virtusorangefront.jpg

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-virtus_lightfront_20210927_sk271_1_headlamp_press_paclt.jpg

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-virtus_light_rear_210927_sk271_1_indian_sedan_rear_lamp_sketch_hess.jpg

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-virtus_interior_julien_2.jpg

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-virtus_interior_presssketch09032021.jpg

Interestingly, the file names from Skoda themselves are named as below -
exteriorsketch_spz_virtusroad.jpg
exteriorsketch_spz_virtusorangefront.jpg
virtus_lightfront_20210927_sk271_1_headlamp_press_paclt. jpg
virtus_interior_julien_2.jpg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 12th December 2021 at 08:39.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 12th December 2021, 10:46   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
- VW group should rethink this drop by drop information release strategy.

- Interestingly, the file names from Skoda themselves are named as below -
- they're learning from TML's incremental release of power and gears post launch

- That's the India 2.0 strategy
Old 12th December 2021, 23:46   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Interestingly, the file names from Skoda themselves are named as below -
exteriorsketch_spz_virtusroad.jpg
exteriorsketch_spz_virtusorangefront.jpg
virtus_lightfront_20210927_sk271_1_headlamp_press_paclt. jpg
virtus_interior_julien_2.jpg
I think VAG was planning to tease sketches of VW Virtus. However, wrong images got uploaded.
If true, that shows how lightly VAG group is taking India 2.0 project
Old 15th December 2021, 16:49   #147
BHPian

I went for groceries shopping today and while taking stuff out of the boot of my Rapid, I realised the difference in cladding between the cars. Exposed mechanicals looked like a sore point in the Slavia, I really hope these are just a preproduction thing and in the actual car this is executed more neatly.

This looks weird to me
Name:  BD4392B0BF4D45FD84E1BDB6B8A54921.jpeg
Views: 601
Size:  99.4 KB

For comparison-
Name:  B417B9EE8BA7478E83754BD38CC0D2D9.jpeg
Views: 586
Size:  163.5 KB
Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-61cc2971bc534c9f8dac4f325520d674.jpeg

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-b9727cde71e6488784b94cd970baaf7e.jpeg

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-55f973ebdeff41a18cfa58284389f1ec.jpeg

But credit where due- this boot lid cladding looks far more upmarket than in the Rapid
Name:  6ECB7F705082473EAE18A97FC615DD62.jpeg
Views: 625
Size:  110.1 KB
sachin_cs is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th December 2021, 09:08   #148
BHPian

I pre-booked the Slavia online on the first day it opened. I was aware of the 3k cancellation charge but went for it as I have been thinking about getting a new car for some time now and it looked like Slavia ticked all the boxes for me.

Strange thing is, the dealer that was assigned during the online booking has not even bothered to call once. Infact i had also called the dealer before booking and had told I am interested in the car and they said they will call back. But no sound from the dealer at all. Mind boggling. On the other hand, I have the MG dealer and VW dealer chasing me. Is this normal behaviour from the Skoda dealer or is it a red flag?
ulag62442 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2021, 11:31   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulag62442 View Post
I pre-booked the Slavia online on the first day it opened. I was aware of the 3k cancellation charge but went for it as I have been thinking about getting a new car for some time now and it looked like Slavia ticked all the boxes for me.

Strange thing is, the dealer that was assigned during the online booking has not even bothered to call once. Infact i had also called the dealer before booking and had told I am interested in the car and they said they will call back. But no sound from the dealer at all. Mind boggling. On the other hand, I have the MG dealer and VW dealer chasing me. Is this normal behaviour from the Skoda dealer or is it a red flag?
The car hasn't launched yet, so that could be one of the reason. As they very well know that there will be some cancellations once the prices are revealed. So, no point in chasing the customer at this point.
But that said, they should have called to confirm the booking at least once.
Quoting my case - I had made a booking online for Slavia, with Gurudev Chennai. Received a call from them after 2weeks, and even an RM was assigned.
Old 23rd December 2021, 15:18   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

Skoda Slavia continues testing ahead of launch, to do so in the next 3 months.

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-2.jpg

Skoda Slavia | A Close Look & Preview-1.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks