Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2022, 13:14   #661
BHPian

re: Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder

Everything looked great to the point of calling up the nearest dealer and booking, until this:
No AT + AWD.

For the love of God, can't see the reason behind this omission and my hunt for a mid-sized AWD/4x4 continues
katoom is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 13:15   #662
BANNED

re: Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Bookings officially underway!

Attachment 2327896

- ~ 25 km on pure EV mode
Cant be anywhere near 25 kms. I would be surprised even if it is 2.5kms in pure ev mode. Its not a plugin hybrid which has some sort of range when running on pure electricity not hybrids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Strong Hybrid:

Attachment 2327899
I dont know where is AWD only for mild hybrid is coming from. This clearly shows EV power lines (in orange) going back to the rear motor. If this image is representative of what they are launching and not just a mistake, be rest assured, AWD is coming to strong hybrid.

Look at the representative image of the Yaris Cross AWD here. The powertrain does look like it is straight from Yaris Cross meaning it will have excellent, read better than or equal to, Honda City hybrid levels of efficiency.

Last edited by akhilesh : 1st July 2022 at 13:22.
akhilesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 13:18   #663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Toyota Urban Cruiser HYryder variants and engine specifications.

Available in four variants E, S, G, V

1.5-litre Mild-hybrid
- 102PS, 135 Nm
- 5MT, 6AT
- 2WD, AWD (MT only)

1.5-litre Strong Hybrid
- 92PS, 122Nm
- 177.6 V Lithium-ion battery
- 80PS,141Nm
- e-Drive
- 2WD
So this is basically the International Vitara with the K-Series 1.5L engine and AllGrip. The strong hybrid is just the Yaris Cross engine replacing the Suzuki one on it.

Overall package looks impressive. Now, all we need to know is how it performs on the road and how well Toyota is pricing this.
Old 1st July 2022, 13:19   #664
BHPian

A really good looking car from outside, definitely seems to have a strong presence and looks bigger than Creta/Seltos. But the interior has a striking resemblance to the MS Brezza which is such a bummer. Toyota should have made the interior look different and more appealing.

A strong GNCAP score with all that tech and sensible pricing should bring in some solid numbers for Toyota.
Col Mehta is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 13:21   #665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetanM6 View Post
The Yaris is not silent like the Honda city hybrid . One can hear when the ICE engine takes over from the electric motor . But that said have to wait till this can be driven in India .
That's my potential concern too, besides the fact that ths Toyota strong Hybrid has planetary gearbox, whereas Honda City Hybrid is gearless. Hoping my understanding is correct.
Old 1st July 2022, 13:26   #666
BHPian

My take on the pricing:

Honda City Hybrid eHEV is 24 lakhs on-road Bangalore.
+ Toyota premium
+ SUV premium
+ Toyota premium (again )

So, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Hyryder Strong Hybrid tops out at 28 lakhs on-road Bangalore.

Last edited by lordrayden : 1st July 2022 at 13:33.
lordrayden is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 13:27   #667
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetanM6 View Post
I don’t think it’s designed for highways . As the name suggests it’s going to satisfy urban dwellers as it has most of the comfort features and boasts of good FE. Also , it would be growly like the Toyota Yaris cross hybrid . The Yaris is not silent like the Honda city hybrid . One can hear when the ICE engine takes over from the electric motor . But that said have to wait till this can be driven in India .
What do you mean its not "designed" for highways? It is not supposed to and does not "growl" on the highway.

Toyota Hybrid system is different from Honda. Honda system runs in Series hybrid mode up until approx 80-100 kmph meaning the engine is running but is running only as a generator and then at higher speeds a clutch engages a single speed gearbox which is like 6th gear in a typical gearbox. Toyota system can run in series mode or parallel hybrid mode meaning it can run purely on engine power, purely on electric power or any combination of the two via a planetary gearset and one of the planetary gear is the generator which can vary the gear ration infinitely. Basically the same system as in Lexus NX350h but ofcourse smaller, smaller engine, smaller electric motor, smaller hybrid high traction battery but the basics of working is exactly the same.

Last edited by akhilesh : 1st July 2022 at 13:32.
akhilesh is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 13:28   #668
BHPian

Nothing WOW in terms of both exterior and interior styling. The main USP of this vehicle is the Hybrid system. Good that hybrids are slowing making way into lower segments from the premium/luxury segments.

I hope that this powertrain will not make way into the Suzuki sibling so that Toyata can have an edge over it & the competition.

Eitherway, it is most likely the Vitara that will dominate the sales numbers.

Last edited by abhkop : 1st July 2022 at 13:29. Reason: Spell Check
abhkop is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 13:29   #669
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
After the initial euphoria, I am disappointed by couple things:

1) AWD is only with MT and mild Hybrid. If you want AT or strong hybrid, you can't have AWD.
2) The power and torque figures are really really low for the segment. How will this perform on highways?
I dont think they are low - 116 bhp combined output. You also have to keep in mind that there is electric assist through and through meaning it will feel faster than the number would have you believe.
Old 1st July 2022, 13:30   #670
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh View Post

I dont know where is AWD only for mild hybrid is coming from.
It comes from the official brochure from Toyota and the TV ads - surely there cant be a more authoritative source...
Transmission is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 13:31   #671
BHPian

IMO there is no perfect car. Nevertheless HyRyder checks most of the boxes.

Pros

#Features-At par with Korean Siblings, if not better.

#Fuel Efficiency- Best in class.

#Size- Decently sized for a mid segment SUV.

#Boot Space- Numbers not out, but looks big with a two step boot floor. Hence, can be expanded when needed. In addition, underbody tire placement increases boot space to some extent.

#Best in Class Hybrid- Toyota makes the best Hybrid vehicles period.

#Soft Touch points- In plenty.

Cons

#Steering wheel and plastic quality- Quality of Steering wheel looks out of place + many other interior parts straight out of Marutis parts bin. By the looks of Plastic quality at centre console, it screams cheap.

#AWD- LOL, its a con for not being offered with Strong Hybrid/AT.

#Power figures- It won’t be the quickest and most enthusiastic to drive.

#GNCAP- There has been no word on testing yet.

Looks like a promising product. But won’t satisfy many enthusiasts. However e-cvt coupled with instant torque from electric motors implies it will be quick off the block. To sum up a great city car for occasional highway rides.

Last edited by Javelin : 1st July 2022 at 13:33.
Javelin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 13:31   #672
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrayden View Post
My take on the pricing:

Honda City Hybrid eHEV is 24 lakhs on-road Bangalore.
+ Toyota premium
+ SUV premium
+ Toyota premium (again )

So, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Hyryder Strong Hybrid tops out at 28 lakhs on-road Bangalore.
The Hybrid lower variants with fewer creature comforts could be much lower, but I won't be surprised if the top variant is close to what you just said.
Old 1st July 2022, 13:35   #673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh View Post

I dont know where is AWD only for mild hybrid is coming from. This clearly shows EV power lines (in orange) going back to the rear motor. If this image is representative of what they are launching and not just a mistake, be rest assured, AWD is coming to strong hybrid.
Looks like AWD is only available in the MT version. Please check the screenshot from their brochure.
Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder-screenshot-20220701-133250.jpg

In the meanwhile, has someone found out the boot space image. No one is trying to check the bootspace of this car?
Mumbaiker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 13:37   #674
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbaiker View Post
Looks like AWD is only available in the MT version. Please check the screenshot from their brochure.
Attachment 2327954

In the meanwhile, has someone found out the boot space image. No one is trying to check the bootspace of this car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmission View Post
It comes from the official brochure from Toyota and the TV ads - surely there cant be a more authoritative source...
Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder-sharedscreenshot.jpg

The image shown for the hybrid says otherwise and hence my comment. Either that image is not representative or we will have AWD in strong hybrid. If Toyota has confirmed there is no strong hybrid, that image obviously is incorrect/ not representative.

Last edited by akhilesh : 1st July 2022 at 13:45.
akhilesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 13:40   #675
BHPian

The engine specifications don't seem to be very impressive, under power in my opinion on paper. Have to wait for the actual test drives reviews.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks