Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2023, 13:46   #721
BHPian

Re: 2023 Hyundai Verna launched at 10.9 lakhs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
Your Figo is also a once-in-a-lifetime car, jackofsome. The 1.5 TDCi is so good that I feel it's unfair to compare it to most engines below 20 lacs. I also have a car with the 1.5D, why I hold on to it is because it can be explosive but also not burn my wallet (I suffer from a bad case of heavy right foot syndrome), I don't think my bank account will be too happy if I get the ……Did you get the headlamps done manually or did you replace stock ones with the Sports edition headlamps or facelift headlamps? Have the same question about the grill, but I can maybe guess that you fitted the Sports grill there.
Thanks man. Yes a new member hence no PM, in the interest of being on topic let’s discuss this on Insta @life_cluttered. Please DM there.

Back on topic I am not selling the Ford ever, however the overall quality of the Verna inside out has me hooked, especially the paddle shifts and the explosive engine. MID was showing 7.5kmpl though
jackofsome is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2023, 13:55   #722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhphog View Post
Hey,

We are in the same so to speak.
I drive a stage 2+ 1.5D BS4 lowered Figo and am actively looking for a daily drive.

I have tried so far:
1. Honda City - Good driving feel but power and handling are no where close.?..

Looking to pick up a pre-owned vehicle and build it due to this conundrum.
Options:
1. Skoda Superb 3.6 4x4
2. Octavia 1.8
3. 2010-14 BMW 520/530d

Do keep us posted on your search.
My two rupees:

If money is no issue, get the be Bimmer.

But if that’s not the case, hear me out. After looking at a lot of cars, the best bet to satisfy your need would be the Verna but with some caveats- upsize the wheels by an inch, there is torque steer when you floor it or maybe at least put grippy tyres. This will also to some extent better the chassis balance. And get the engine to produce about 180hp, after a remap, I am sure people would come up with a remap fast.
Why not a VW or Škoda? Because I don’t want the ASS headache. But that is just me. Just a comparison I have driven my car and the Vento in BIC, and the VW, handling wise was not even in the same planet, don’t know how these jacked up sedans of Virtus GTs will behave.
Old 26th March 2023, 14:23   #723
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhphog View Post
We are in the same so to speak.
I drive a stage 2+ 1.5D BS4 lowered Figo and am actively looking for a daily drive.
Often I see owners of some vehicles struggling to arrive at a new vehicle for purchase , it's often difficult because they are looking at a certain aspect of their existing vehicle (often based on short test drives) and comparing just that while overlooking the obvious fact that a newer model is superior in every which way, that is how the industry works overall, it's rare that a new vehicle is worse than an older one.

The best solution for such cases would be to borrow a newer car of your interest from a friend for a few days or perhaps get an extended test drive.

When you get back in your old vehicle and if it still feels better - hold on to it.

Since we are on the Verna thread , it has ESC, VSM etc that controls it's braking and performance, so braking performance of newer cars with lots of new braking tech in it cannot be fully understood below 100 kmph, there is plenty of computer wizardry going on under the hood based on how quickly you have released the A pedal and the rate at which you press the B pedal, steering angle , road speed - lot of things.

The point here is new cars are better, it's okay to let go of Figo for something like a Verna Turbo with DCT.
Kosfactor is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 26th March 2023, 14:44   #724

My TD and first look experience
Visited V3 Hyundai Thiruvanmiyur to check out the Verna. They have 2 brown models - the manual in the showroom and the NA auto for TD.

First impressions
The car looks good. I know there are conflicting opinions about this and I am definitely not fond of it in white. But in the dark (esp brown) she looks quite nice. If the Virtus was a 10, the Verna would definitely be an 8.

Feels - once you're in the car feels like something atleast 1 class above. The materials feel nice and everything is laid out well. Even when I (5 ft 10") was stretched out (like toes on the pedals) in the driver seat my wife was super comfortable in the rear.
The doors, bonnet and boot feel quite heavy and shut solidly (un-Hyundai like).
The white/beige is definitely going to get super duper dirty. ��

The drive
The car is nice to drive. Drove it in Tiruvanmiyur traffic and about 1 km on open OMR. When you step on it the car holds the gear till almost 6k rpm before shifting up which is nice. Don't feel out of power. When you accelerate the pull is jerkless, just a subtle stay-in-your-seat-dont-move push back on your upper body as she speeds up.

[b]What I couldn't try[/B
The ADAS. I couldn't try it, well was too scared to try it. Will probably go back to try. But the SX(O) is out of budget so maybe pointless for me.
Ventilated seats.the seatback had plastic on but my rear end didn't feel any difference with jeans on.

My next steps
Want a detailed comparo of SX IVT and SXO manual to see which one to go for. Don't see too many differences.
Check out the Honda city last week. Feels meh and 2019.
Next is to TD the Virtus and Slavia.
But unless they have something radical to offer ( or a big discount) I'll get the SX iVT. Only need to see what the company lease terms are.
Also the showroom folks say they can get it delivered in 30 days which is a big plus.
Old 26th March 2023, 15:59   #725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Often I see owners of some vehicles struggling to arrive at a new vehicle for purchase , it's often difficult because they are looking at a certain aspect of their existing vehicle (often based on short test drives) and comparing just that while overlooking the obvious fact that a newer model is superior in every which way, that is how the industry works overall, it's rare that a new vehicle is worse than an older one.

The point here is new cars are better, it's okay to let go of Figo for something like a Verna Turbo with DCT.
Great point there. When I bought a new Kia Seltos GTX+ DCT last year, I was comparing to my SX4 ZXI manual. There are some advantages like bigger bootspace and cornering ability of a sedan compared to CSUV, however, newer is always better. Since you don't fetch great deal of money on your old car, you can keep it as well if you like it so much over the newer one.
harshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2023, 17:31   #726
BHPian

I am wondering why the Smart Cruise Control with Stop & Go (ADAS feature) is missing from IVT version?

Can anyone shed any light on this please? I thought it would just be a software setting.

Thanks in advance
Old 26th March 2023, 18:44   #727
Senior - BHPian

I'm surprised there are people on the forum who actually like the design. Most people I spoke to recently wanted to beat up the designer who was in charge. Honestly, this is one car that's really piqued my interest considering the interiors and that 160 HP engine. But the design is way too repulsive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
You'll rarely see this statement when people are jumping 2 or more segments but you'll see it more when people are shopping within the same segment or one segment up - considering the inflation in place it really makes you question whether it's worth spending so much on a vehicle that's essentially slightly better/same. This is more compounded in owners of Ford/Fiat/VAG cars, with a matured driving experience, looking at Hyundai, which has only recently started bringing out cars with a driving experience that is close or equal to the above group cars. Yes, there are so many more features now but Hyundai/Kia is yet to prove their commitment to safety in India with respect to structural stability.
Turbohead is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 26th March 2023, 20:47   #728
BHPian

I don't have an opinion about new Verna design as I'm not looking to buy another sedan for myself at this point of time. However, at 21.xx lakhs on road, really kudos to Hyundai for giving top end DCT with ADAS features at competitive price point. Few people keep talking about "structural stability" which is a term coined by crash test agency on a few tests done by them. However, rational people keep pushing the sales charts of Hyundai. There are hundreds of factors people look when buying a car.
harshbhat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th March 2023, 08:28   #729

I think all the discussion on the design of the new Verna would be unnecessary with a bit of a different grill design.
Just sharing one of the early renders which had me interested in how this car would come out!

2023 Hyundai Verna launched at 10.9 lakhs!-img_20230327_082449.jpg
Autokett is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2023, 10:59   #730
BHPian

Big brother Sonata revealed with the same family look. The design seems less polarising on the bigger car. 2023 Hyundai Verna launched at 10.9 lakhs!-23124eb8e652455bbfc2a83147cbbf60.jpeg

2023 Hyundai Verna launched at 10.9 lakhs!-cb83801d3e334c2bb7710372eade3d82.jpeg

2023 Hyundai Verna launched at 10.9 lakhs!-609e932d37654566b878b78c5306e70e.jpeg

2023 Hyundai Verna launched at 10.9 lakhs!-8e02eb95a01a4b94b92eff3b40ee9809.jpeg
Silverfire is online now   (41) Thanks
Old 27th March 2023, 11:16   #731
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedateGuy View Post
I am wondering why the Smart Cruise Control with Stop & Go (ADAS feature) is missing from IVT version?

Can anyone shed any light on this please? I thought it would just be a software setting.

Thanks in advance
i have a feeling that the IVT transmission may not be able to adapt well to the requirement since it takes a while to speed up if it slows down quickly from say 100 to 70. Whereas the DCT which actually has gears, downshifts and responds better. But this is my guess based on my experience with both types of transmissions.
fhdowntheline is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th March 2023, 11:29   #732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
i have a feeling that the IVT transmission may not be able to adapt well to the requirement since it takes a while to speed up if it slows down quickly from say 100 to 70. Whereas the DCT which actually has gears, downshifts and responds better. But this is my guess based on my experience with both types of transmissions.
What is benefit of Stop and Go in a non-hybrid car? Won't it increase the load on battery with AC, dual screens and music running? How much will it impact the battery life?

On the other hand, only benefit I see is that with DCT we wouldn't have to shift to neutral on signals or stop & go traffic, since the engine is off and shouldn't put load on the clutch system. However, is this better than shifting to neutral? Is there anything that I'm missing here?
MyLife_MyCar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2023, 12:00   #733
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLife_MyCar View Post
What is benefit of Stop and Go in a non-hybrid car? Won't it increase the load on battery with AC, dual screens and music running? How much will it impact the battery life?

On the other hand, only benefit I see is that with DCT we wouldn't have to shift to neutral on signals or stop & go traffic, since the engine is off and shouldn't put load on the clutch system. However, is this better than shifting to neutral? Is there anything that I'm missing here?

I had the same question though my scenario is different. I have a Nios AMT. Recently the compressor went bust which thankfully was replaced in warranty. The car is a 2019 model. While talking to the Service manager, he asked me specifically how I turn off and on the car ie, is the ac off/on. I told him what I do which is to turn off the ac and blower before turning off the car which he agreed is the right way. The thing is, I also do this at a long signal wait but got me wondering: if I keep doing this, is it actually impacting the vehicle and could that be the reason for constant load on the ac and battery. So post the replacement, I just keep the car running

The question I had here is,

1. how to the stop go system manage this and does it do it differently?
2. Do I need to switch off the ac even for the vehicles with stop/go systems?

Thanks in advance
Old 27th March 2023, 12:04   #734
BHPian

Saw the new Verna when I dropped my Creta for a service. No plans to buy one, so didn’t ask if the test drives have begun.

My first impressions:
- The car looks much better in the flesh than in the pictures. Quite good actually.
- The alloys still look quite bad to my eye. Wish they had given a cleaner design.
- The interior design, layout, and materials are much better than the competition (VAG and Honda). The car I saw had black interiors with red accents, and looked quite upmarket.

I think this will easily outsell the Virtus and Slavia, and perhaps even the city, which now has the worst interiors and build quality of the lot.
one-77 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th March 2023, 14:50   #735
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLife_MyCar View Post

If I am not mistaken, the Idle Stop- Start systems have a smaller separate battery, but I may be wrong here.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks