Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2023, 15:52   #76
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari facelift spotted testing in Indore

Quote:
Originally Posted by motographer View Post
And with the expected power of petrol engine to be almost similar to current Fiat sourced diesel engine(~170 hp), the power to weight ratio should be better than the current diesel counterparts.
So hopefully, if the upcoming petrol engine turns out to be as portrayed, power should not be an issue.🤞🏾
Thanks. Those figures give hope if they stick to their plans and execute. I just feel they could also try the Hybrid powertrain. But I think that will be for future releases and not this one.
diwakarmuthu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 19:58   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwakarmuthu View Post
Thanks. Those figures give hope if they stick to their plans and execute. I just feel they could also try the Hybrid powertrain. But I think that will be for future releases and not this one.
Regarding Hybrid, Mr. Shailesh Chandra, Managing Director of Tata passenger vehicles has said in multiple interviews that they're not thinking of developing hybrid tech at all. He has said that we'll transition to EVs directly and for catering to people looking for hybrid tech for various reasons, Tata already has Diesel and CNG options in their portfolio. So, there's no possibility of hybrid from Tata at all.
motographer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 22:50   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Hopefully not, atleast not in Harrier which is already around 225 kgs less in weight than XUV 700 petrol. Safari in the current diesel version is also lighter than XUV 700 petrol.
With your post I grew a little curious and started my fact-check finding. I went around the websites for specifications. Most official websites omitted the kerb weight in the specifications sheet. I could get the data from Cardekho.

Quote:
With the new petrol engine, both Safari and Harrier are expected to be lighter than their current diesel versions. And with the expected power of petrol engine to be almost similar to current Fiat sourced diesel engine(~170 hp), the power to weight ratio should be better than the current diesel counterparts.
Hyundai Creta 1.4 diesel
Max Power
113.45bhp@4000rpm
Max Torque
250Nm@1500-2750rpm
Kerb weight 1690kgs

Tata Harrier

Capacity, cylinders
1956 cc, In-line 4-cylinders
Max Power: kW@r/min
125 kW (170 PS) @ 3750 rpm
Max Torque: Nm@r/min
350 Nm@1750-2500
Kerb weight 1700kgs

TATA NEXON

Engine Displacement (cc)1497
Max Power (bhp@rpm)113.42bhp@3750rpm
Max Torque (nm@rpm)260Nm@1500-2750rpm

From the above comparison I arrived at a new conclusion.

I always was on the impression that Hyundai Creta was very light in comparison to the Tata Harrier. But to my surprise, weight difference between them is just 10 kgs!! Harrier is not so heavy despite its macho looks. Engine specs between the Creta and Nexon is almost identical. So, TATA can create a lower variant of the Harrier or a new shape vehicle and plonk the Nexon's 1.5 liter Deisel engine with a slightly tweaked power figures and I think they can create a new model. The 1.5L engine weight will bring down the weight of the Harrier by another 30-40kgs, thereby bringing down the kerb weight below the Creta!!

So in comparison, the under development TATA's 1.5 Liter TGDi Petrol engine will comfortably power the Harrier, but may not give a power packed punch. That anywhere may not be deemed necessary by many. But I am sure will also be fuel efficient compared to the rivals. Tata Safari's Kerb weight is 1825kgs. Can't comment how the TGDi will perform here.

I think TATA can try it out without diluting the brand value of Harrier. The sales too can zoom up as the price can be brought lower because the car enters the lower tax bracket.

(Mahindra XUV700 AX7L Kerb weight 1890kgs and MG HECTOR kerb weight 1900kgs are quite heavy. So, kept them away from this comparison)
DRPSREDDY is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 23:16   #79
BHPian

Please see the weight of all of above vehicles again carefully. 1690 kg must be gross vehicle weight of Creta and 1700 kg is kerb weight of Harrier. I think you might have read that wrongly. So the confusion.
Sandeep500 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 12:29   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRPSREDDY View Post
With your post I grew a little curious and started my fact-check finding. I went around the websites for specifications. Most official websites omitted the kerb weight in the specifications sheet. I could get the data from Cardekho
I checked it again when you mentioned and found it interesting that certain manufacturers have refrained from mentioning the kerb or gross weight in the official brochures(case in point- Kia Seltos, Hyundai Creta and Mahindra XUV 700). Certain others though, have mentioned it in the brochure which I'll mention here:

Safari- 1825 kgs
Harrier- 1680 kgs
Kushaq- 1250-1300 kgs
Grand Vitara- 1200(MH) to 1290(SH)

For the others mentioned above, there is variation between figures given on different websites.

But as it has been mentioned in a comment, I believe you have compared gross weight of Creta and Kerb weight of Harrier.

Also, I feel that with introduction of 1.5 turbo petrol, Harrier will definitely eat into the sales of Creta 1.5 turbo petrol but Tata would never position it against Creta or any car in that segment. For that, they're already bringing Curvv with 1.2 turbo petrol which will be positioned against 1.5 NA of Hyundai, Honda and Maruti with similar power figures.
motographer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2023, 23:47   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Hopefully not, atleast not in Harrier which is already around 225 kgs less in weight than XUV 700 petrol. Safari in the current diesel version is also lighter than XUV 700 petrol. With the new petrol engine, both Safari and Harrier are expected to be lighter than their current diesel versions. And with the expected power of petrol engine to be almost similar to current Fiat sourced diesel engine(~170 hp), the power to weight ratio should be better than the current diesel counterparts.
So hopefully, if the upcoming petrol engine turns out to be as portrayed, power should not be an issue.🤞🏾
If the 1.5L T-GDi can manage to combine a good power-to weight ratio along with decent enough fuel economy figures for the Harrier/Safari, then I guess it would be a runaway success. The petrol engine would also help TaMo to eat into the market share of XUV700 petrol if they manage to keep the waiting periods in check.
uditanshh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 18:35   #82
Senior - BHPian

Tata Safari facelift with revamped interior spied

The Tata Safari is all set to get a major makeover, including a revamped interior. The latest spy images give us a better idea of the changes made inside the cabin of the SUV.

Tata Safari facelift spotted testing in Indore-sfa2.jpg

The upcoming Tata Safari is expected to get a dual-tone interior with light-coloured upholstery. The dashboard has been redesigned as well. It will feature a larger touchscreen infotainment system in the centre and an all-new centre console with haptic switches.

Tata Safari facelift spotted testing in Indore-saf7.jpg

This test mule is equipped with an automatic transmission and gets a new stubby gear selector lever and a rotary dial for the drive modes. While the glossy finish adds an upmarket look to the interior, it will most certainly be a fingerprint magnet.

Tata Safari facelift spotted testing in Indore-saf1.jpg

Another major update on the interior is the steering wheel. The Safari facelift will come with an all-new 4-spoke steering wheel first seen on the Sierra EV Concept. Tata is also likely to offer ADAS on its flagship SUV for the first time.

Tata Safari facelift spotted testing in Indore-setad.jpg

The 5-seater Tata Harrier is expected to get similar updates on the exterior and inside the cabin.

Source: Carversal

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 19th July 2023 at 18:36.
TusharK is online now   (32) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 23:51   #83

Not sure how these light color upholstery will age in our dusty environment. Tata must come up with all black option( not talking about dark edition). The interior looks good IMHO except piano black treatment which are scratch prone and fingerprint magnet.
Passion2explore is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2023, 11:45   #84
BHPian

I don't believe the final production version of the facelift could be having the same white coloured seats akin to the current version sold. I mean it could but there is a high chance it may not. These may be test vehicles fitted with only the newer components for testing purposes. We need to wait for the production version of the facelift to be sure. I do like the stubby Range Rover-esque gear lever. I hope they make 3 pointed safety belts for the second row middle passengers standard. It is absolutely disheartening to see lap belts in this day and age and while at it, let us pray Tata sends the facelifted Safari/Harrier for a GNCAP Crash test.
aveoman19 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th July 2023, 13:56   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

With the removal of the fancy space gobbling thruster handbrake and introduction of EPB, TATA should have used the released space more efficiently. Either could have given more storage space or bigger cupholders or made the armrest more usable.
DicKy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2023, 22:00   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
With the removal of the fancy space gobbling thruster handbrake and introduction of EPB, TATA should have used the released space more efficiently.
Doesn't seem as if Tata has done that, we can clearly see the silhouette of the manual handbrake around the epb. So we can say that the lower variants will still retain the airplane-style handbrake.
Old 23rd July 2023, 08:44   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Tata Safari facelift with revamped interior spied

Another major update on the interior is the steering wheel. The Safari facelift will come with an all-new 4-spoke steering wheel first seen on the Sierra EV Concept. Tata is also likely to offer ADAS on its flagship SUV for the first time.
I am sure that along with the steering wheel both the siblings will be updated with Electronic Power. EPS is now on the Mahindra XUV700 and TATA has it in so many of it smaller cars and SUVs. I am sure that will trickle down to the Harrier and Safari too. We will have to wait if the surprise comes our way.

Hydraulics are now a passe. Using it in my XUV500 and I do feel a little cumbersome after driving Nexon and Creta. But some people who are true off-roaders will be nay-sayers as they love the feel of hydraulics.

Last edited by DRPSREDDY : 23rd July 2023 at 08:45.
DRPSREDDY is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2023, 10:35   #88
Senior - BHPian

Tata Safari Facelift Interior Spied Undisguised – All Touchscreen, No Buttons:
Tata Safari facelift spotted testing in Indore-362955110_1451087492319555_5826023812538882904_n.jpg

Tata Safari facelift spotted testing in Indore-362982634_1451087495652888_5074892768320721687_n.jpg

Last edited by manson : 30th September 2023 at 00:29.
RM Motorsports is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 27th July 2023, 13:20   #89
BHPian

In any case, are they going to introduce the 1.5 MPI petrol engine?

In Delhi/NCR there is a dire need for petrol SUVs because of the 10-year NGT rule, which makes their depreciation in terms of resale very low. Also, will a petrol engine be sufficient for such a heavy SUV?

I've booked Petrol Hycross just for the same reason written above but if Gasoline Safari comes in the festive season, I can happily wait.
Ajitesh_Drive is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th July 2023, 14:16   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
Tata Safari Facelift Interior Spied Undisguised – All Touchscreen, No Buttons
Yikes , the lack of any buttons is concerning. Volkswagen was one committed to an all touchscreen cockpit and now VW is reversing everything because PHYSICAL buttons are better in every single way.
https://www.team-bhp.com/news/volksw...eering%20wheel.

Non-physical buttons do not and cannot offer the same level of feedback and haptics that physical ones can offer. Plus, many a times the driver has to take their gaze off the roads to find a specific button.

One of the biggest things that still annoy me about the MG hector is that everything is controlled through the main screen. This means if it lags (which it does), you cannot even control the air conditioning !
amoi is online now   (15) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks