Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2023, 12:56   #241
BHPian

re: Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post
I guess the 235/75R15 will fit even nicely in 5 Door Jimny.
I guess 225 width is the limiting value for the stock rims.

How about 225/70 R15 Apollo Apterra AT2? Closest to the stock tire diameter.
Old 18th January 2023, 13:09   #242
BHPian

The Zeta variant will be getting R15 Steel rims. Will this be the steel wheel design here in India?

Name:  jimnywheel.jpg
Views: 1007
Size:  4.8 KB

This is as per the Suzuki genuine accessories available outside India.

The accessories brochure is attached here: Jimny_Genuine_Accessories.pdf
Knightrider is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 13:18   #243
Senior - BHPian

Gear ratios of the Jimny 3 door variant, I don't expect it to change for the 5 door model.

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-jimny_jb74_gear_ratio.png

The Jimny 4 speed auto has a slightly taller total gearing compared to its 5 speed manual sibling. On the highway cruising at 100KPH with torque converter locked up the engine should theoretically spin a few hundreds revolutions lesser than the manual in 5th.

On the highway top gear transfer case in high
Variant - Top gear * TC Ratio * FD Ratio = Total gearing
Manual - 1.00000 * 1.00000 * 4.09000 = 4.09
4SpdAT - 0.70000 * 1.32000 * 4.30000 = 3.956

On-road/off-road 1st gear transfer case in high
Variant - 1st gear * TC Ratio * FD Ratio = Total gearing
Manual - 4.42000 * 1.00000 * 4.09000 = 18.0778
4SpdAT - 2.88000 * 1.32000 * 4.30000 = 16.3468

Off-road 1st gear transfer case in low
Variant - 1st gear * TC Ratio * FD Ratio = Total gearing
Manual - 4.42000 * 2.00000 * 4.09000 = 36.155
4SpdAT - 2.88000 * 2.64000 * 4.30000 = 32.693

Notice that in 1st gear high and low the manual has shorter total gearing and one might think the manual has an advantage. The magic of torque converter is torque multiplication when the speed differential between the TC input shaft and TC output shaft is at the maximum. So although the automatic has slightly taller ratio but with its torque multiplication inside the torque converter should do just as well as the manual or better.
Sankar is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 13:22   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
I guess 225 width is the limiting value for the stock rims.

How about 225/70 R15 Apollo Apterra AT2? Closest to the stock tire diameter.
The stock rims can take 235/75 without any issue.
225/70R15 from Apollo is a good choice [0 change in height] but I would recommend 215/75R15 [ 5mm increase in ride height] as many patterns/styles are available and also is much more widely available tyre.

The most apt size would be 225/75R15 but sadly this size is not available in India. I plan to put 235/75R15 [20mm height increase] and test for full articulation. If this fails, I will switch over to 215/75R15.
purohitanuj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 13:30   #245
BHPian

Comparison of 5 Speed MT vs 4 Speed AT below:

Cruising at 100km/hr in 5 Speed MT

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-1.jpg

Cruising at 100km/hr in 4 Speed AT

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-2.jpg

4 Speed AT makes much more sense.
purohitanuj is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 14:04   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Did it online. No such fancy requests.
I did it online too. A day later the dealer contacted me and said that to complete the booking they need all this information.

Quote:
Japanese video showing 235/75R15 on stock suspension without any lift.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=yfRG4jw0RQM
A comparison of 235 section and 215 section tyres on the Jimny

Drive on,
Shibu

Last edited by shibujp : 18th January 2023 at 14:10.
shibujp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 14:13   #247
Senior - BHPian

This has been a long wait for me indeed. My wife and I had a love-hate relationship with the 2010 Gypsy which I purchased new before getting married. She just loved the looks and going off-road but she hated the heavy, imprecise steering and the bouncy suspension. The jugaad ac I had commissioned used a variable vane 125cc compressor (probably the only Gypsy with such a compressor setup) and it would cause the vehicle to stall at idle as the ECU wouldn't kick up the revs before the compressor turned on. The lack of cabin lights and useless mirrors didn't help. The lock-rite rear differential locks I had installed made the on-road handling absolutely diabolical as the diff would unlock mid-corner with a snap and unsettle the vehicle.

We have a Pajero SFX now and absolutely love it but the Jimny is a vehicle we both agree on. If you've been married for any length of time it would be apparent that agreeing on anything automotive, or otherwise, is a rarity and deserves to be honoured. The Jimny is an option but there are a couple of hurdles still in the way.

I am not entirely sure I will fit in it comfortably. I am 6'2" and 120 Kilos. Fitting into the Gypsy was facilitated purely by passion and a desire to wreck the vehicle every weekend with the other OTR lunatics. I hope the Jimny isn't as small as some of the reports I am seeing and hearing.

The second hurdle is the price. I would hesitate to attach a value to the vehicle based on my personal opinions, financial situation and biases. That said, from my point of view, the base model needs to come in at 9.99L and the top spec AT at 12.99L ex-showroom with the other two specs slotting in at 10.99 and 11.99L respectively.

Z-MT - 10L
A-MT - 11L
Z-AT - 12L
A-AT - 13L

In this scenario I would stick to the spec that I have booked (Alpha AT Kinetic Yellow).

Should there be a premium for the Kinetic Yellow, I will quickly switch to some other colour because it is completely irrelevant to me how the vehicle looks from the outside.

I am excited but there is a hint of apprehension and uncertainty arising from the evolution of my expectations, advancement of my age and degeneration of my body.

I can't wait to find out if the Jimny is for me after all or if it has arrived a decade too late for the person that I have become.

Last edited by gsferrari : 18th January 2023 at 14:19. Reason: English Vinglish
gsferrari is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 14:15   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Comparison of 5 Speed MT vs 4 Speed AT below:

Cruising at 100km/hr in 5 Speed MT

4 Speed AT makes much more sense.
I guess this is almost 1k higher than K15B Brezza configuration. Does manual come with cruise control ? It will be great if Indian version also comes with cruise in manual. Interestingly the instantaneous mileage in AT is lower than manual though manual is revving at higher rpms.

Last edited by saurabh041086 : 18th January 2023 at 14:25.
Old 18th January 2023, 14:35   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh041086 View Post
I guess this is almost 1k higher than K15B Brezza configuration. Does manual come with cruise control ? It will be great if Indian version also comes with cruise in manual. Interestingly the instantaneous mileage in AT is lower than manual though manual is revving at higher rpms.
Yes it is 1K higher than the K15B + 4 AT on Brezza due to Final Drive Ratio difference.
The 235/75 section tyres will help in this as one can drive at ~94 km/hr reported in speedo to be at 100km/hr actual.
Not sure of cruise control. The instantaneous mileage is not a conclusive parameter as it can be different due to various factors like pedal position, gradient etc.

Last edited by purohitanuj : 18th January 2023 at 14:39.
purohitanuj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 14:37   #250
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
This has been a long wait for me indeed.
agreeing on anything automotive, or otherwise, is a rarity and deserves to be honoured.

will fit in it comfortably. I am 6'2" and 120 Kilos. Fitting into the Gypsy was facilitated purely by passion and a desire to wreck the vehicle every weekend with the other OTR lunatics. I hope the Jimny isn't as small as some of the reports I am seeing and hearing.

The second hurdle is the price. I would hesitate to attach a value to the vehicle

some other colour because it is completely irrelevant to me how the vehicle looks from the outside.

uncertainty arising from the evolution of my expectations, advancement of my age and degeneration of my body.

I can't wait to find out if the Jimny is for me after all or if it has arrived a decade too late for the person that I have become.
You really have a superb facility of expression and I just loved your writing style. I enjoyed reading your post.

1. Agreeing with the wife on a car/ vehicle is indeed a rarity. So by the Grace of God she has left all things Automotive and the decisions thereon, to me.
2. I empathise with your concern on fitting in. Im also tall 6.2. Big built. But down to 90-92kgs now after some ‘disciplined uncompromising health efforts’. Saying that, even 6 months ago when I was 102kgs heavy, I was very easily leaping in and out of my stock Gypsy and driving it all over the place. Civilisation and Wilderness both. I still do, all the time, so I really wouldn't worry too much about fitting into the Jimny.
3. As I have surmised earlier, for Maruti to have this vehicle succeed in India it should not cross 15
Lacs on road for the Top Spec AT.
4. Ref the colours, frankly the more understated they are, the better the vehicle will look. Considering it is a general purpose go anywhere anytime type of vehicle.
So from the colours being offered, I like Granite Grey, Nexa Blue and Pearl Arctic White.
5. a. Advancement of age no one can stop - I am 51 going on 52 but I can easily see myself buzzing around in Jeepy things for another 20 years.
b. Evolution of expectations is a good thing. Just as the Jimny is way advanced vis a vis the Gypsy.
c. Degeneration of physique only YOU as the individual being affected, can correct. There are plenty of others on TeamBHP who have done so and there are good informative threads on the subject. I would request you to read them. (If I can do it, so can you!)

Speaking as the owner of one Thar and one Gypsy at the present moment, and having seen and lurked around the 3 door Jimny in Dubai when it was launched, and having hoovered up innumerable YouTube videos and internet articles on the Jimny, I strongly believe that it is definitely an accomplished little vehicle. So much so that one can overlook its minor shortcomings just like one does, with the new Thar.

There’s a Gypsy in everyone was the old tagline. There’s a Jimny for everyone is the way I would paraphrase that.

All the best!
shankar.balan is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 14:40   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
This is why I don’t think it has anything to do with the Army regulation per se, but more to do with some kind of internal market research that Maruti must have undertaken. Sadly if this is the case, their sample set of respondents are very different from you and me
Maybe they are planning to pull off a Camo edition like Tata at a later date to keep the product fresh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh041086 View Post
Don't these lens/apps have similar impact on humans in picture? Can you share your height. How many people were inside the car when you checked it?
Wide angle lens tend to make objects (including humans) appear larger when they are near to the lens and the size of anything in the background looks smaller correspondingly. The opposite of it happens when you shoot with a zoom lens, the more the focal length the more is the compression. The images you shared looked like shot on a mobile phone with wide angle lens and you are in front of the car and that's why the height difference looked more pronounced.

To me it definitely looked softly sprung but that is expected and I don't remember how many people were inside as people were moving in and out of the car constantly.
Old 18th January 2023, 14:45   #252
BHPian

Found this https://www.browndavis.com.au/suzuki...nge-fuel-tank/

A 30 litre auxiliary long-range fuel tank for Jimny. Not sure if will will fit to our 5 door Jimny.
But if it does, this is going to be very useful for people doing long road trips. As the 40L provided on the Jimny looks too small.
Old 18th January 2023, 14:47   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
If you've been married for any length of time it would be apparent that agreeing on anything automotive, or otherwise, is a rarity and deserves to be honoured.
This is one of rare occasions when we both are totally in sync. Me, a silent fan of the Jimny with some knowledge of its capabilities. She, for the cute look, small footprint, availability of AT (so that she can drive!), Boxy shape and big gap between body and the wheel (big wheel arch), and no worry to go anywhere, anytime (we had at least 3 scary moments in last 1 year). Also, this is the first time we agreed upon the colour shade without wasting a second.

I tried to discourage her yesterday- it will be bouncy ride and very small from inside. She- will you just shut up!

We are in our 40's. AT is a must because I have damaged left knee, and she needs to see the gear lever while shifting.
RijuC is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 14:59   #254
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokiPilaniya View Post
But if it does, this is going to be very useful for people doing long road trips. As the 40L provided on the Jimny looks too small.
There is no denying the usefulness of long range auxiliary tanks if one is overlanding / venturing deep into the jungles or up some mountains or going on a military/ para-military commando expedition into enemy territory.
However, for most normal users, just like in the case of the fabled Gypsy which has happily done duty all over the country for the last 38 years and is still going strong, the 40 litre petrol tank in the Jimny will be found to be more than sufficient from a practical stand point. However if at all one feels the need for extra petrol one can always buy and carry a secure jerry can of 10 litres, which ought to give enough additional range to reach some level of civilisation. Added to this, even if one were inclined towards such exploration, one hopes that one would be sensible enough not to venture it alone, but preferably only in convoy. Also, considering the sheer width and depth of distribution network of Petrol/ Fuel in India and Maruti’s incredible service network, coupled with the reach of mobile GPS and Cellular network, I very much doubt that one will truly be out of range so much as to necessitate an Aux tank.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 18th January 2023 at 15:01.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 15:33   #255
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki's Jimny seems to be the Star of 2023 as the booking figures races past expectations.

Not sure on the monthly production capacity planned for Jimny but do not be surprised if Maruti pauses its bookings due to constraints, if the delivery period exceeds a year or so.

Quote:
Maruti Suzuki Jimny off to flying start, crossed 8,000 bookings; draws 3-month waitlist. (> 1000 bookings /day)

Segment wise break up of Jimny is MT 50% (Zeta 15 % Alpha 35%); AT 50% (Zeta 8% Alpha 42 %)
Quote:
There is speculation that the model will be priced in the range of Rs 10-12.5 lakh, though the company has maintained silence on this aspect

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 18th January 2023 at 15:43.
volkman10 is offline   (9) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks