Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2023, 17:30   #121
BHPian

re: Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023

Was just going through this thread and a question popped into my mind. Why are so many BHPians against this product?!?! Any which ways we live in a country where few car makers launch models which are globally present, the taxpayers are troubled by GRAP and NGT and the market is shifting towards Hybrids and EVs and here comes Maruti and launches a global lifestyle product which would fill in the void left by the iconic Gypsy in the longer run. We should also note that Jimmy is not being advertised as an updated version of the Gypsy unlike Mahindra which advertised the Thar as an all rounder JEEP.

As for the K15B + 4AT combo, this is a tried and tested combination all over the world and would be totally niggle free and sorted. Also for comparing the Thar and Jimny, we should compare the Jimny's base petrol version to the Thar's base petrol version which is priced at 13.49 lakhs (?) Ex showroom.

The Gypsy had a long run of more than 35 years in the Indian market mainly because of government and defence services. Gypsy's biggest downsides were lack of creature comforts and back breaking ride quality. Jimny shall be taking care of these aspects at least to the acceptable levels.

I am in the market for a practical lifestyle vehicle with 4x4 and petrol engine (all thanks and credits to NGT and the diesel ban) which is not atrociously priced for what it offers and Jimny fits in perfectly.
Akash_1806 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 14th January 2023, 17:45   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post
Could be but as of now, it is banned in Europe for passenger segment; but my point being that the width constraints are mainly due to Japan.
If one looks at it as a 2+2, the width is fine. Suzuki always envisaged this as a 3 door 4 seater. The 3 abreast tight seating problem is because of what we Indians expect from the rear seats in a 4 door car. The Jimny was never designed to seat 5 people, or as a family car.
Old 14th January 2023, 18:09   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akash_1806 View Post
**** which is not atrociously priced for what it offers and Jimny fits in perfectly.
Wait for the Jimny prices. 9-10L for MT, 10.3-11.3L for AT should be reasonable price range. AT additional price shall be 1-1.2 Lakhs, if we use old Brezza MT vs AT (4 speed TC AT) price differential as reference. There will be some additional cost components for 6 airbags, 7"/9" inch ICE and branding of speaker set. Better interiors, interior lighting, wheel well cladding, wheel and tyre size difference costs shall be reduced. I am not sure whether their Tect structure is costlier than Jimny BOF structure or it is other way. 4x4 hardware and electro-mechanical cost references are unknown.

However, prices for the latest Maruti Suzuki cars like Brezza and Grand Vitara are exorbitantly high; and they are selling in good numbers. Hence, there is very less chance that Jimny will be a VFM product.

Last edited by RijuC : 14th January 2023 at 18:11.
RijuC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2023, 18:11   #124
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akash_1806 View Post
Was just going through this thread and a question popped into my mind. Why are so many BHPians against this product?!?!

I am in the market for a practical lifestyle vehicle with 4x4 and petrol engine (all thanks and credits to NGT and the diesel ban) which is not atrociously priced for what it offers and Jimny fits in perfectly.
There are two kinds of unsure buyers, one is the butch crowd and the other who buy it out of impulse/FOMO and the Jimny isn't for them, these are also the same people who put their barely run Thar for sale.

The guaranteed buyers are those who have used all types of Mahindra Jeeps/Thar, Gypsy, Gurkha etc these people know beforehand the ride quality and they are not going to budge on their bookings.

But Jimny being a Maruti is bound to have more buyers, even today Gypsy is highly sought after in the used market by enthusiasts. People spend on average 6 lakhs for getting army Gypsy refurbished. Everyone wishes for more basic creature comfort like AC, Power steering, Power windows and Jimny delivers on that plus safety features over the Gypsy. Bone stock civilian owned low km driven Gypsy sell in excess of 12 lakh.

Also the recent floods in many cities will make people who never take their vehicles off road also get a vehicle like Thar or Jimny as a second car. The 5 door Thar when launched will be quite big for congested cities and Jimny compact dimensions will be preferred.

Last edited by moralfibre : 14th January 2023 at 22:28. Reason: Typos.
aim120 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th January 2023, 18:23   #125
BANNED

Quote:
The extra ~100mm width could be due to the plastic fender. The body shell is 1475mm only. Please see/sit and then decide.
The Gypsy fenders are also wide and stick out so I think the estimate should be fairly accurate. I believe dimensions are always listed from body panel to body panel not extensors like side mirrors sticking out wide or fenders (see pic below for reference lines of measurement). so actualy inside width is 1300mm and I think correspondingly less for the Gypsy (will go down and measure in a while). That said, a pocket extensible tape measure is going to accompany me when I check out the display piece in the showroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoinassi View Post
In three door version which is sold outside India, the rear seats fold FLAT
As pointed out in another post above - removing the headrest should allow it to rest flat which is a huge relief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
Wait for the Jimny prices. 9-10L for MT, 10.3-11.3L for AT should be reasonable price range. AT additional price shall be 1-1.2 Lakhs, if we use old Brezza MT vs AT (4 speed TC AT) price differential as reference. There will be some additional cost components for 6 airbags, 7"/9" inch ICE and branding of speaker set. Better interiors, interior lighting, wheel well cladding, wheel and tyre size difference costs shall be reduced. I am not sure whether their Tect structure is costlier than Jimny BOF structure or it is other way. 4x4 hardware and electro-mechanical cost references are unknown.
All good points. The other big factor in keeping prices down for the Indian edition is from not implementing the mild-hybrid system with lithium battery pack that the K15B is capable of. While I suspect the International version may be offered with the same at a higher price point.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-jimny-dimensions.png  

Attached Images

Last edited by Ragul : 14th January 2023 at 18:43.
Ragul is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th January 2023, 18:28   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Well said.. out of these 3K booking, almost 2K could be cancelled as soon as they taste the driving of front rigid live axle.
Have you driven the 5 door Jimny or 3 door Jimny? Just wanted to know if the above comment is based on your driving experience of Jimny or just based on assumptions
sreejithkk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2023, 18:32   #127
BHPian

Quote:
However, prices for the latest Maruti Suzuki cars like Brezza and Grand Vitara are exorbitantly high; and they are selling in good numbers. Hence, there is very less chance that Jimny will be a VFM product.
I totally agree with your point that it is not going to be as VFM as we expect from Maruti however even at 15-16 lakhs on road it is a better bet compared to the Mahindra Thar. The top end petrol AT of the 3 Door Thar is near 19L OTR in Noida. The 5 door is expected to be priced in the same segment plus minus 50k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post

But Jimny being a Maruti is bound to have more buyers, even today Gypsy is highly sort after in the used market by enthusiasts. People spend on average 6 lakhs for getting army Gypsy refurbished. Every one wishes for more basic creature comfort like AC, Power steering, Power windows and Jimny delivers on that plus safety features over the Gypsy. Bone stock civilian owned low km driven Gypsy sell in excess of 12 lakh.

Also the recent floods in many cities will make people who never take their vehicles off road also get a vehicle like Thar or Jimny as a second car. The 5 door Thar when launched will be quite big for congested cities and Jimny compact dimmensions will be prefered.
I have a Gypsy at home, ex army refurbished and the total cost of restoration plus the vehicle is upwards of 7 lakhs. Civilian owned gypsies are still a dream for me with their obnoxious price tags. Even 5 year old examples are going for more than 10 lakhs due to it being a seller's market.

And in addition to your second point, the Jimny is nimble and agile be it on road or off-road. For a person like me or someone who uses their 4x4s not only for recreational purposes but also for daily drives, the ease to drive is a big plus.

Also to clarify one more point for everyone, I am not against the Mahindra Thar and I was quite interested in it. My only point is that Jimny is going to increase the competition in this segment where Thar had monopoly. Basics of economics, more the competition more VFM the product will be. Not only for one manufacturer but all involved in the segment.
Akash_1806 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th January 2023, 19:07   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
As pointed out in another post above - removing the headrest should allow it to rest flat which is a huge relief.
The 3 door Jimny has the entirely flat type 2nd row seats. Whereas this 5 door Jimny has little contoured/ more cushioned seats in second row.

Hence, I guess rear seats of 5 door Jimny cannot rest flat. Attaching a marked up interior seat photo.

Only one awkward exterior design- the second row doors open with the cladding part. Anyway, designers had no other option.
Attached Images

Last edited by RijuC : 14th January 2023 at 19:08.
RijuC is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th January 2023, 19:48   #129
BHPian

Quote:
I did sit inside and had spent good 15 minutes with the car. Not many know but the rear seats have 2 recline discreet positions. Not sure why its given but I guess to term it as a feature.
They gave that feature to make their boot qualify as respectable i.e. to cross the 200 litre mark. Good part is you can give your back some much needed support if you are not carrying too much luggage.

Quote:
Could be but as of now, it is banned in Europe for passenger segment; but my point being that the width constraints are mainly due to Japan.
Half of the world is using and buying kei cars as suzuki cannot ignore its home market. Main culprit is japan otherwise jimny and many other kei cars would have been launched as proper 5 seaters.
Old 14th January 2023, 20:06   #130
BANNED

Quote:
Only one awkward exterior design- the second row doors open with the cladding part. Anyway, designers had no other option.
That is to accommodate the wheel well right? Also the reason the rear window has a vertical quarter pane that cannot be rolled down - it’s right on the section of the door tapering along the curve of the wheel well. No room to lower the window glass into that curved section.
Ragul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2023, 20:14   #131
BHPian

Quote:
I see this as lost opportunity as the 5 door was designed for India and will not be sold in Japan anyway( the size restriction constraint country).
Whole of the world elsewhere would have enjoyed a widened 5 seater Jimny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
There was some grapevine that it is to be manufactured both in Japan and India so not sure why it won’t be sold internationally.
Suzuki is still not done with the development of Jimny, it will get proper hybrid tech, with an EV avatar sometime in future. I would watch out for Tokyo Motor Show/Japan Mobility Show this year. Also the LWB variant is still not launched yet.

Quote:
The 3 door Jimny has the entirely flat type 2nd row seats. Whereas this 5 door Jimny has little contoured/ more cushioned seats in second row.

One of the reasons behind this is the Jimny launched is a top varient model with split folding seat, if a base varient is launched with flat folding seats it wont be a issue. Also the contours have a purpose of keeping the passenger seated instead of moving around in rough terrain.

I have attached a pic of Brezza top and base variant for reference.

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-screenshot-20230114-192329-2022-maruti-suzuki-brezza-lxi-mod.png

One of the best thing about this car is the expansive parts and aftermarket support it has, as most of the internals are the same as 3 door one I would expect most parts to be compatible with the 5 door model. And with the Tokyo Auto Salon 2023 ongoing, companies like GReddy, HKS, and many more have showcased their parts for the car. So if any member this Jimny lacks power in anyway just head over there

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-95369852_2854866451217605_2506500771726491648_n.jpg

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-screenshot-20230114-194217-carstyleturbojimnyengine.jpg-webp-image-801-530-pixels.png

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-dsc041451200x800.jpg

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-dsc041861200x800.jpg

Last edited by Black_Star : 14th January 2023 at 20:16.
Black_Star is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th January 2023, 20:31   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta View Post
FYI, Thar 2WD is a 1.5L diesel manual, hence the real world fuel efficiency is expected to be around 14 kmpl. Definitely the fuel bill is going to be less compared to Jimny. The RWD, more power and torque and road presence are bonus. If Jimny is far more desirable than Thar, why did Maruti hesitate to launch it all these years? The reality is that Jimny is going to take off more sales from Brezza than from the Thar.
What is the point of comparing a petrol Jimny with diesel Thar ? The comparison must be with Thar petrol. Diesel does not even enter the consideration set for most people in 2023. Thar was what convinced Suzuki of the potential of a life style offroader in India. Agree with Jimny cannibalizing Brezza. But it will take sales away from Thar too.
Old 14th January 2023, 20:40   #133
Senior - BHPian

Do you folks think that Suzuki would launch the Jimny without 4WD at a later date or even possibly closer to the launch date, just like Mahindra launched the Thar 2WD?

With just 2 variants and a total of 4 combinations ( MT and AT ) unveiled right now, I get a feeling that Suzuki is surely going to expand the Jimny range. Its such an unique vehicle, has lifestyle appeal while also being high on functional capabilities. I can see a lot of the Hill station folks picking this up over a traditional C segment Sedan or a premium hatchback.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2023, 20:48   #134
BHPian

To those Who think Europe and Japan won't get this car, because size and emissions, think for a moment, Japan got 2 different jimnys, the original one, the kei car, wich got the small 660cc turbo 64hp and narrow Width, and the sierra, wich is the international model, wide width With the 1.5 engine

Name:  45e077d3f5c358253dffd4804612e879.jpg
Views: 1324
Size:  62.6 KB

Name:  suzukikimny2019oficialdesvelado201847547_4 1.jpg
Views: 1330
Size:  58.3 KB

I really don't think Suzuki won't be interested in develop a hybrid version for their home market, Europe, and all those places who will get harder emissions limits soon in time

The thing is, wich kind of hybrid will be? A mild hybrid like vitara, ignis, Swift...... Gaining around 10hp with that special alternator?

Or they will take the concept Suzuki X-lander....

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-472defb6suzukitokyomotorshow1125255b325255d-1.jpg

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-20131120104353_suzuki4x4concept11.jpg

Wich is hybrid because includes a electric engine at the Transfer case, and develop the hybrid Jimny from this concept, to sell It in Japan and Europe

Or maybe another kind of hybridation, Who knows.....

What do you think team-bhpians????? Wich one Will be? Mild or hard hybrid??
wacso is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2023, 21:12   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Agree with Jimny cannibalizing Brezza. But it will take sales away from Thar too.
The new Brezza rear passenger sitting area is broader now and can comfortably accomodate 3 medium sized adults or 2 XL sized and one S sized adult. And it has a resemblance to some Land Rover SUV (according to the Youtubers whom Indian Janta follow blindly nowadays for their car purchase decision).

Whereas Jimny will have its own fan base, the enthusiasts community long waiting for this Jimny, the informed car users who are aware of capabilities of Jimny, some noobs and wannabe mild off-roaders (I perhaps belong to this category), and some customers looking for a G-Wagen on budget. I don't think Brezza and Jimny are overlapping considerably.

There could be some competition between Jimny and Thar- for the variants in the similar price range. Thar has a big advantage there- the look and road presence, the Mafia SUV acknowledgement. Advantage Thar- Look, road presence, sheer amount of power and torque, bigger chunky tyres, 226 mm GC, better Ramp break over angle. Advantage Jimny- Bulletproof reliability, suitability for mountains, 6 airbags (do the show-sha audience really care about safety?), near infinite mod potential (yet to be established in India for Jimny).

Anyway, this is my personal view.
RijuC is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks