Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2023, 21:24   #991
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Salt View Post
Came across this one year old review of the Jimny. Clearly the reviewer is not only biased but hell bent to prove that it is a sub par car. The way he uses the word “roll”, it sounds like it is a ship in heavy seas.
Finally he asked a camel which car the camel prefers, Jimny or Thar, who ignored him and moved on, similar to what I should have done to this review.

https://Youtu.be/4GUQOKZy41I
You do realise that by watching, sharing and propagating the video you are helping him make more money?
gsferrari is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 27th March 2023, 21:42   #992
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
You do realise that by watching, sharing and propagating the video you are helping him make more money?
Well, it’s just a matter of perspective. I thought of it as spreading awareness, that anyone considering the Jimny should actually do several test drives and decide for oneself, rather than discard on some review.
Old_Salt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2023, 23:57   #993
BHPian

Thanks to one of gentleman's post few days before, I got to know that Jimny was available for display nearby my place. So last Sunday, I visited the MyCar NeXa showroom at Vashi (Navi Mumbai) with family and sharing some of my observations.

I own a Bolero 4wd, so was very eager to check out the Jimny in person which has very similar purpose.
No nonsense, less electronics, body on frame, manual 4wd with low range, solid axles F&R.
All of my below remarks are solely based on comparison with Bolero for my purpose/ usage.

Not the first, but very important thing for me:
I checked out the interior space and its strictly for 4 persons only. We can't even fit 2 adults and a child on rear seat. Also, luggage area was small if we consider any tour with 4 persons and their luggage for a week or two. (Bolero can carry 5 persons and thier luggage with clear view of rear glass. I dont have roof carrier) so that was a bit of a let down.

Other observations:
Cushioning was bit soft but comfy.

Driver area somehow felt narrower at shoulder level compared to how I feel in Bolero. Need to take proper test drive to understand this better as not easy to just sit idle in drivers position and judge. But the overall seating position and the cushioning of seat felt comfortable. Just wish there was height adjustment also as I felt the seats were a bit lower for my height for a better view but a simple memory foam cushion can solve that.

Dead pedal was bit tiny and narrow. May not matter to most of the buyers though.

Build quality was really solid. Unlike any current Maruti in the market today. Body panels felt solid. Like Mahindra , TATA level solid. Doors felt sturdy and heavy and shut with nice and solid thud.

The roof and the rain channels felt heavy duty and gave the feeling that it can support a nice and sturdy roof rack for rooftop tent setups or any other accessories one might need.

But, the hood/bonnet felt light weight. It was easy to lift with one hand and was shaking easily, so may be because of that it didn't felt strong enough where one person can stand or sit on it without any dent or damage. This observation may feel stupid or unnecessary, but the car washing guy uses Bolero's bonnet to climb on top of the roof to wash it clean
Also there was no insulation cladding. On asking, the sales person told me that the production version will have it covered.

Interior plastic quality was good but the demo car that I checked already had its rear seat lowering lever loose (it was popping out from its slot). May be people or reviewersbalready abused it to its capacity

The chassis already had some kind of rust protection paint applied which is really nice for the vehicle built to go places. Also the air filter and the intake hose was already at the top most position in engine bay so with some minor mods like extended diff breathers, one can wade flooded cities even without snorkel.

Also wish that MSL gave atleast A/T tires stock for vehicle like Jimny. But probably they figured out that such people will change it anyways so kept some cost down.

BTW, the sales rep told me that thay have no clue on the pricing and said that it may be revealed by April end or May. When I asked them about the delivery then as it was supposed to start delivery by May already, so that also was told to start right after price reveal. Which I found a bit weird. Hopefully MSL keeps the pricing right, but by launching it with NEXA instead of Arena, one can already make out that MSL planning to keep people and the popularity of Jimny worldwide for granted and will keep the pricing at higher side (Say starting with 12 lacs instead of expected 9/10 lacs). Just a guess here.

Waiting for detailed TBHP review and a proper test drive (manual v/s auto) in city and rough terrain.

Somehow I feel that the real competition to Jimny is not Thar or Gurkha (Both are next level) but it could have been a Bolero 4wd if it was still in production. Boxy design, rough and rough interiors, go anywhere, reliable, somewhere similar price band, specific fan following (Not meant for show offs but real deal for its specific purpose)
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img20230327wa0020.jpg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img20230327wa0002.jpg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img20230327wa0008.jpg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img20230327wa0009.jpg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img20230327wa0000.jpg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img20230327wa0013.jpg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img20230327wa0019.jpg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img20230327wa0001.jpg  

Last edited by offroad_maniac : 28th March 2023 at 00:06. Reason: Some more additions
offroad_maniac is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 00:01   #994
BHPian

I checked out the Jimny at Shivam Automobiles, Andheri East today.

First impressions, it has a much smaller footprint than any other 4x4. Interiors are not bad, confusing for sure. I couldn't figure out the power window switches. The ones for the front windows are on the dash, the ones for the rear windows are surprisingly next to the driver.

Boot space is same as the Baleno or i20, so not that bad.

Interest levels were medium to low as there were only 4 other customers. No one booked the vehicle.

TD will be available some time in April as per SA.

The SAs were also least interested in selling it. May be they knew that whoever wants one will book it anyway.

SA was clear that this IS NOT a daily drive car. I know people who use Thar as a daily drive but as per him this isn't. Quite surprised by this, honestly.

Price reveal as per him is hopefully by April. They also don't have much idea of the price reveal dates.

If anyone buys this for the same presence as the Gypsy, be ready to be disappointed.

I am eagerly waiting for the TD vehicles to be available.
Maverick1977 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 05:18   #995
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post

..SA was clear that this IS NOT a daily drive car. I know people who use Thar as a daily drive but as per him this isn't. Quite surprised by this, honestly...
The poor besieged Maruti engineers who had to cobble together a viable plan to make Jimny into a 5 door vehicle may have to be physically restrained if they find out SAs are saying this.

I wish Maruti would have simply bought out the Gurkha wing of Force Motors and imposed its enlightened service and parts on Gurkha and then concentrated on quickly evolving the Gurkha into the great Indian vehicle it could be. I gave up my post as Galactic Dictator because of the poor dental plan. I could kick myself now for doing that. I could have got us all some good vehicles with with real tyres.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 28th March 2023 at 05:48.
DirtyDan is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 07:38   #996
BHPian

I can’t shake the feeling that this one product MSIL doesn’t quite have a finger on the pulse for. Their reveal-display strategy seems to be timid steps and their reluctance to discuss price/dates/td’s etc, all point in the direction of ‘active market based corrections’. Even the strange, standoffish dealership staff behaviour (normally, SA’s would be all over you the moment you walked in, right?) hint at instructions from the top asking them not to engage/commit too much. Can’t blame Maruti though - it’s a pure lifestyle product globally (hence the NEXA channel) and only modified and brought into India since someone was convinced this could get volumes. Flanked by visually more VFM competition won’t make it easier to get this off the podium or even maintain pace once launched. All things considered, MSIL’s gutsiest move in its history. Kudos to that. For us waiting with bated breath, at least there’s some excitement in the auto world among a host of me-too blandness. Personally, I like that to bits.
SUVolens is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 09:43   #997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Salt View Post
Finally he asked a camel which car the camel prefers, Jimny or Thar, who ignored him and moved on, similar to what I should have done to this review.

https://Youtu.be/4GUQOKZy41I
That is my reaction too Faisal's reviews or videos. Most of them are non-sensical and give very little value. While I was with my last automotive company, the content he created for the cars always left us bemused and the cars quite damaged.
His views on Maruti Suzuki products are always biased to negativity anyway.
Best to avoid his views as they reek of conscious bias and made more for (so called) entertainment and views gathering.
prashant316 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 14:52   #998
BHPian

This is kind of a AI and Jimny post.
So I wanted to see nice coffee brown leather options for Jimny's seat and unfortunately, the design and contour of its seats is very unique. So what option did I have?
  • I trained Chat-GPT to generate "Midjourny" prompts
  • Gave MidJourney an image of Jimny's interior and asked Chat-GPT to generate a prompt for Midjourney to create seat design of my choice.
Result is breathtaking.

This is the image I gave to MidJourney

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-jmi4.jpg

This is what MidJourney gave back to me
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-jim3.png

As you can see, the results are spectacular. Midjourney actually used a lot of elements from the picture and also the design is not bad at all.
purohitanuj is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 19:00   #999
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post
wanted to see nice coffee brown leather options for Jimny's seat

As you can see, the results are spectacular. Midjourney actually used a lot of elements from the picture and also the design is not bad at all.
Interesting. I was also thinking that faux-leather upholstery would be more suited for an off-roader as it is simply easier to clean. Would have to find a good aftermarket chap who redoes auto seats.

BTW does the Jimny have any airbags stuffed into the front seats? Then it might not be possible.
Old 28th March 2023, 20:38   #1000
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dileep View Post
Interesting. I was also thinking that faux-leather upholstery would be more suited for an off-roader as it is simply easier to clean. Would have to find a good aftermarket chap who redoes auto seats.

BTW does the Jimny have any airbags stuffed into the front seats? Then it might not be possible.
There are firms who work on airbag seats now a days. They use very fine/less strength material for the airbag pocket as done by OEM.
Old 29th March 2023, 08:03   #1001
BHPian

Video showing Jimny's actual road presence and giving good idea of its proportions in proper day light. That chrome front grill is giving it a mini hummer like look.

Last edited by iamnvn : 29th March 2023 at 08:15.
iamnvn is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th March 2023, 09:40   #1002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnvn View Post
That chrome front grill is giving it a mini hummer like look.
Jimny is a Jimny. This pure true blue rugged SUV has a cult following all over the world. Many Indian Auto-enthusiasts were waiting for the Jimny for a long time, and now it is "almost" there for us. Jimny doesn't need an identity of "look-alike" or Karol Bagh converted "mini" G-Wagon or Hummer look. Jimny will create its own space in Indian Auto-world. The 3-door Jimny is already manufactured in India and well accepted by rest of the world. It's good that Indian factories are now manufacturing automobiles for International markets.
RijuC is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 29th March 2023, 10:08   #1003
Senior - BHPian

Are you sure? I have seen other country markings on Jimny 3D sold abroad
Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
The 3-door Jimny is already manufactured in India and well accepted by rest of the world. It's good that Indian factories are now manufacturing automobiles for International markets.
Old 29th March 2023, 10:35   #1004
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Are you sure? I have seen other country markings on Jimny 3D sold abroad
The 2018 - Present 3 Door Jimny is either manufactured in India - Manesar Plant or Japan - Suzuki Kosai Plant.
purohitanuj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th March 2023, 14:09   #1005
arb

Had a quick look in JP Nagar, Bangalore showroom, it may be rugged in character but seemed simply 'Cute'. That is on the outside, peep in and its utilitarian to the core. No pictures taken, there were too many people this afternoon taking all sort of pictures/videos.

So the cute yellow Jimny made me think of a hypothetical purchase, where I can gift this to my better half as an inexpensive (<15 OTR perhaps) city Compact, but SUVish, rugged, no nonsense daily car suiting the Bangalore roads while discreetly being happy about getting a 4WD fun toy; the bummer is it screams utilitarian, no way will it even fly as gift with that interiors and lack of finesse.

Like advertised its Purity of Function, nothing else. Good for those who seek that function, for my hypothetical situation its a No Go.

Best,
~ArB
arb is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks