Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2023, 10:17   #1081
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
Chennai receives step-motherly treatment again. A metro doesn't even feature on the "roadshow". While I wait to see the vehicle in the flesh and make up my mind, vloggers are taking joyrides in cars that may end up in the hands of paying customers? Surely MSIL is aware of this incident? Are they tactically using regional influencers to pump up the hype machine before commencing the structured journo-junkets?

Good to see a X-large built driver getting reasonably comfortable behind the wheel.

I hope Chennai gets a vehicle on display soon. I just want to know if I am going to continue with the booking or cancel and retain my Pajero. I'm not interested in the hype and drama. This is a tool, not a trinket.
+1 to Hyderabad. It’s not fair. I’m not sure what MS is thinking doing this tour. It’s a Maruti Suzuki. It’s a car. Not a world famous rock band for a “tour” across the country.
AjayV is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 10:40   #1082
BHPian

Yes you are right, but my reference point is the 'country' where both the products are being sold. The extra costs(post production - till it reaches dealer) is almost similar for Jimny and Ignis ( for 4*4 in UK). And it is constant from the past nearly 2 years.
Also, Ignis when it was launched in Japan in 2016 costed around INR 8 Lakhs(ex-showroom in Japan) , but hen Ignis was manufactured and sold in India its was launched at ~INR 5.5 lakhs. SO manufacturing costs in Japan is definitely higher than India.
Currently if you check, Japanese manufactured Jimny (2 door) is costing around ~ 10.2 lakhs (ex showroom) in Japan. So, I am also just doing a comparison based on what Suzuki is doing in other markets and hence my expectation still remains the same that Suzuki shall launch Jimny 5 door in India for ~ INR 9 Lakhs for the Zeta MT model.
VivekWalia1986 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 12:40   #1083
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivekWalia1986 View Post
Anything above this price range will create a lot of doubts into the minds of customers who are looking to buy pseudo SUVs like Brezza, Nexon, Xuv300 etc etc. To make it a mass product Suzuki may price it at 8.99 lakh ex-showroom. Otherwise it will have the same sales phenomenon as XUV300 i.e. great car but slightly overpriced, hence less sales.
Cannot agree more!
The pricing of the Jimny is going to be crucial. That and the waiting period coupled with Maruti's ability to fulfill existing demand (remember the Ford EcoSport?)
Indraneel Bhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 12:57   #1084
BHPian

Probably a dumb question, just a chain of thought that has been on my mind for a while. Let me know if this has already been asked and answered.

Any idea about the final homologation status of the Jimny in India? If you look at the specifications on the official website, all of them have an asterisk (*These figures are under homologation testing and subject to variation.).

As per my understanding, Jimny is being officially homologated as a four seater. (As can be seen in the official specs). This doesn't seem to be a good / practical idea.

Even the Espresso and Alto are officially 5 seaters. Both these cars may be comparable, if not marginally smaller than the Jimny in terms of the rear bench width. (All of these are / were were built to Kei car specs.)

Now, whether these cars can seat 5 comfortably is a different discussion, but legally 5 passengers can travel in these cars.

If Jimny is designated as a four seater, wouldn't it be somewhat of nuisance from a traffic rules perspective?

Anytime you have a 5th person in this car, even for a short distance, it is an invitation for a traffic challan.

Why not just add the middle seat belt to the rear bench and homologate it as a 5 seater?

I believe one reason for the 4 seat homologation could be because as a 5 seater, it would undergo safety testing / crash testing as a 5 seater and the ratings may get affected.

Considering that almost every car in India (except perhaps the Bajaj Qute quadricycle) is an official 5 seater, Jimny may become a premium priced outlier.

One could always argue that if you want a 5 seater get a people mover. Or that this is not meant to be practical car, but more of a lifestyle vehicle. Or that why stop at 5? If you make it a 5 seater, someone will ask for a 7 seater.

Just that I have always thought of cars as having 2 + 3 seats; and I hope that the Jimny gets finalized as such too.
hotstuff is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 13:36   #1085
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotstuff View Post
Considering that almost every car in India (except perhaps the Bajaj Qute quadricycle) is an official 5 seater, Jimny may become a premium priced outlier.

One could always argue that if you want a 5 seater get a people mover. Or that this is not meant to be practical car,.
The 2020 Thar is also a 4 Seater. Officially as well as in practice.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 13:39   #1086
BHPian

I bumped into the Jimny when I was on a trip to Bangalore and at first sight decided that it will not fit my use-case - 3 big German Shepherds in comfort with the seats folded. So cancelled my booking.
krishsreedharan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 14:05   #1087
BHPian

Quote:
Probably a dumb question, just a chain of thought that has been on my mind for a while. Let me know if this has already been asked and answered.

Even the Espresso and Alto are officially 5 seaters. Both these cars may be comparable, if not marginally smaller than the

Just that I have always thought of cars as having 2 + 3 seats; and I hope that the Jimny gets finalized as such too.
I dont think Maruti will take the pain in adding another seatbelt. It will involve changing the rear bench completely.
Also the Thar i think is a 4 seater. I am sure it does not have a rear middle passenger belt?
jackofsome is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 14:16   #1088
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackofsome View Post
I dont think Maruti will take the pain in adding another seatbelt. It will involve changing the rear bench completely.
Also the Thar i think is a 4 seater. I am sure it does not have a rear middle passenger belt?
Thar 2 Door is a 2 seater at rear i doubt the 5 door will be 2 seater as the wheel well space will be saved
Old 4th April 2023, 14:38   #1089
BHPian

Homologation is utter nonsense. Just a way for states to make money on road tax. Nothing to do with safety, capabilities or price.

Thus, if a 4x4 sells more in Arunachal, it is homologated by the manufacturer as a 'private/commercial vehicle' and can be sold with a white plate. Nothing doing in Maharashtra, since fewer people require/need/want a 4x4.

Are we really bothered about safety? Hamara Bajaj ferried families of four and above in the 20th century. Then came the Nano. And there is the auto-rickshaw with tales galore of more than five people being ferried around.

I just hope they eventually release the two-door, SWB Jimny into the Indian market.
Old 4th April 2023, 14:53   #1090
BHPian

That is right...Thar is a 4 seater vehicle legally (in RC document) and it does not have the third seat belt slot at the rear seat !
I visited the Nexa showroom yesterday (3rd time in a span of 12 days) and many customers were only disappointed because they came in with a mindset that Jimny would be a 5 seater. And as legally it is a 4 seater SUV, most of them said that they will have to give up their dream of owning a SUV which can give them the best all round performance i.e. Adventure + Practicality of a 5 seater car and this would true for many customers. Some of the buyers want to have that satisfaction/experience of owning a 4*4 vehicle even if they won't use it much.It's just like keeping your gun (4*4) in your holster while you are on the move, it gives you that feeling of satisfaction :-)
VivekWalia1986 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 15:57   #1091
BHPian

This is the first time I'm seeing the grey color on display in a showroom (fully accessorized) apart from the usual kinetic yellow that's seen mostly. Note - The video is in Malayalam.

Is that a cycle rack on the roof?

Last edited by kesh4munni : 4th April 2023 at 16:04. Reason: Added a question
kesh4munni is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 16:23   #1092
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

As per my understanding, Jimny is being officially homologated as a four seater. (As can be seen in the official specs). This doesn't seem to be a good / practical idea.

Even the Espresso and Alto are officially 5 seaters. Both these cars may be comparable, if not marginally smaller than the Jimny in terms of the rear bench width. (All of these are / were were built to Kei car specs.)...Now, whether these cars can seat 5 comfortably is a different discussion, but legally 5 passengers can travel in these cars....If Jimny is designated as a four seater, wouldn't it be somewhat of nuisance from a traffic rules perspective?...Anytime you have a 5th person in this car, even for a short distance, it is an invitation for a traffic challan...Why not just add the middle seat belt to the rear bench and homologate it as a 5 seater?....I believe one reason for the 4 seat homologation could be because as a 5 seater, it would undergo safety testing / crash testing as a 5 seater and the ratings may get affected....Considering that almost every car in India (except perhaps the Bajaj Qute quadricycle) is an official 5 seater, Jimny may become a premium priced outlier.
Not sure if safety rating will be affected, as of now only the front passengers' safety is taken into account. Add two child seats in the 2nd row. The rear middle passenger safety is not tested till now, (though Volvo has said that it is the safest place in their XC90)

And Maruti could easily add a lap belt in the rear row. In the mid 2000s, there was an ad campaign by Hyundai targetting Maruti. The Alto then was classified as a 4 seater, so was the first version of the 1st gen WagonR (one with 50:50 split rear seats and slumberrete). Maruti quickly added a lap belt and made them 5 seaters. So for them to consciously keep the Jimny as a 4 seater might be seen as maturity of the market or as an excuse to the inevitable complaints of a narrow rear bench.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iskandariya View Post
Thar 2 Door is a 2 seater at rear i doubt the 5 door will be 2 seater as the wheel well space will be saved
The test mules of the 5 door Thar shows that the 2nd row is of the same width as the 3 door's.

Last edited by DicKy : 4th April 2023 at 16:25.
DicKy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 16:58   #1093
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesh4munni View Post
This is the first time I'm seeing the grey color on display in a showroom (fully accessorized) apart from the usual kinetic yellow that's seen mostly.
https://Youtu.be/inEUAX8xdrA
This is the same unit that was displayed in Autoexpo. The location is MSIL HQ in Vasant Kunj Delhi corporate office display area. We have seen this display area with the KY colour a number of times in YouTube.
RijuC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 18:49   #1094
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
So I just checked today as to where I could see the 5 door Jimny. .
Can you comment on the build quality? Is it decent or Maruti flimsy?
Old 4th April 2023, 18:56   #1095
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Can you comment on the build quality? Is it decent or Maruti flimsy?
The Jimny is definitely a well-built vehicle according to me. The doors feel solid and nice when one opens and closes them as does the rear boot door and bonnet too. The switches and stalks also feel nice and strong. It is as good as the S Cross and others were, whose primary markets were in the ‘developed’ world.

I would put my money and buy one. I just have to make up my mind on which of my Present cars to sell and when.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_9474.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_9469.jpeg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 4th April 2023 at 18:57.
shankar.balan is offline   (9) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks