Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2023, 09:19   #1231
KPR
BANNED

Re: Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023

I showed images of Jimny to my wife and daughters. They are very clear and said they don't like it at all. They compared its design to Mahindra old jeeps and Force trax traveller. It is a fact that not all love its design in images. However let me see if they change their view once seen in person.
Old 20th April 2023, 09:27   #1232
Distinguished - BHPian

Suzuki Jimny 5d gets approval to be sold in Japan. Arriving this fall as an import from India.

Quote:
The actual car was unveiled in January 2023 with Jimny 1+ doors. In Japan, Suzuki initially had "no plans to sell the car in Japan," which corresponds to the Jimny Sierra. However, information came in that this Jimny 5-door had obtained domestic type approval!
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-1.png

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 20th April 2023 at 09:48.
volkman10 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 10:27   #1233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Suzuki Jimny 5d gets approval to be sold in Japan. Arriving this fall as an import from India.
Made in India Jimny have this cutout on the dashboard panel below the switches, this space is exclusively for the japanese ETC tag device as found on the RHD JDM 3 door models. So MSIL having retained that for the 5 door had my suspicion of the 5 door making it across to Japan.

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_3494.jpg

The JDM 3 door Jimny Sierra does not meet Kei regulations anyway, nor will the Jimny Sierra Long. So nothing lost.
Sankar is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 12:16   #1234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balmagbrezjim View Post
May be for Maruti, premium starts at 10 lakh In my opinion, if the top end alpha automatic ex showroom price goes into the >13.5 lakh territory, there will be lot of cancellations right away.
It's going to be interesting to see their pricing - for sure. They need to realise that a lot of folks view this as a possible 2nd/3rd car. If they put the Zeta (why buy the Alpha as a 2nd car?) close to 10 lacs OTR it will be overpriced. Then I'd rather look at cheaper options...
Clouseau is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 12:21   #1235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouseau View Post
It's going to be interesting to see their pricing - for sure. They need to realise that a lot of folks view this as a possible 2nd/3rd car. If they put the Zeta (why buy the Alpha as a 2nd car?) close to 10 lacs OTR it will be overpriced. Then I'd rather look at cheaper options...
Zeta manual at 9 and zeta automatic 10 ex showroom is the sweet spot. else MSIl is in trouble
rkmountain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 13:25   #1236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouseau View Post
The top of the line cannot be over 11.99L ex-showroom; anything over and above is Thar territory. I doubt they are stupid enough to price it any higher, else they wouldn't have bothered to stretch it out for the Indian market. They clearly are looking to sell boatloads of these.

Last edited by fjcruiser08 : 20th April 2023 at 13:26. Reason: Typo
fjcruiser08 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 13:26   #1237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Permutations and combinations of stacking luggage (with one 28” and other 20” bag) in the Jimnyr
This is pretty impressive to be honest. 4 + light luggage for a weekend is possible. Add a roof rack and it becomes quite comfortable although I would keep a very low profile roof-top box on it because the Jimny does like to swap from side to side.

2 + luggage and gear for an extended trip into the hills is not out of the question. With the middle seat folded or removed entirely, the options really open up. This is how I plan to use the vehicle most of the time, with the middle seat folded, if not removed entirely.
Old 20th April 2023, 13:50   #1238
BHPian

Here's something for the few people who look forward to a 215/70R15 upgrade for the Jimny.

There's an LT option from Bridgestone available. I recently went to my cousins house and noticed that this is the exact tyre size that his Isuzu DMax 2WD single cab has. Cus says that his workhorse came fitted with these as standard.

Do note that this is the regular DMax version that comes with the lowest GC of the lot (ie: not the 2wd with SPOA setup in the rear)

Cheers.
aravind422 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 14:30   #1239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carZest View Post
Our farmhouse is 150 kms from B'lore, and for 148 of those the roads are really good. However, the last 2 kms can be really bad during the monsoons. In addition to the slush, there are also bad rocks and huge craters in this stretch. Last monsoons, we ended up parking in the nearby village and walking these 2 kms every single time.
We have the same situation with a farmhouse approach road in Uttarakhand. 100 kms of paved but narrow and winding hill roads of mixed quality, easily done in relative comfort in my Punto or in the Duster. Then 9 km of unpaved track that causes the Punto to scrape, especially with a full load. And not doable at all in the wet. Worst case is when it starts raining while we’re already there and have to get the Punto and us out in one piece in a hurry . We’re considering the GV/Hyryder AWD, Scorpio Z4 4WD and the Jimny.

The Jimny is the only truly memorable, collector’s car out of these three. And by far the most “bindaas” on the approach road. But it will probably be hard to justify the likely lack of comfort.
Vikram9193 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 17:05   #1240
BHPian

Quote:

Link
I thought current 3 door there is limited to a smaller 660cc engine. Are they changing the engine as well for Japan 5 door?
Old 20th April 2023, 17:25   #1241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
I showed images of Jimny to my wife and daughters. They are very clear and said they don't like it at all.
As soon as it arrived at the nearby showroom, I promptly took my spouse there, who promptly issued a thumbs-down. She wanted to know why I don't go for the (according to her) better looking Thar if I'm so interested in driving off to the hills by myself (she isn't into that). I mumbled something about Jimny having superior mountain goating capabilities.

The kids were more encouraging actually. My daughter sympathetically suggested that I could swap our i10 or Tigor-EV for this, while ensuring that the Fortuner is retained (it's been her favorite car forever). Son wasn't interested at all, actually he's not even interested in getting his license since there's Ola\Uber (definitely not a petrolhead).

Therefore, in a few months when you see a Lonely Old Man and A Jimny - that'll be me
RoadFiend is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 18:46   #1242
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadFiend View Post
Therefore, in a few months when you see a Lonely Old Man and A Jimny - that'll be me
I have the Thar and Gypsy.
The Thar is a good grand tourer. With its SWB and fast petrol engine it is surprisingly agile in the city and elsewhere. But it is very wide.

The Gypsy - I took it to office and back today - I do this once in a while just to enjoy the ‘nostalgia’.
Every time I drive it, it feels like a 4 wheeled bike. It is narrow and slim and one can happily go through Bangalore traffic which has now become a sea of boring super-fatted crossovers and oversized SUVs. Its naturally aspirated engine is a joy.

The Jimny with its small footprint is a perfect little go anywhere urban runabout which can also take you far beyond the confines of the city.

Oh, and my spouse is a determined non petrol head. So you may soon find one more such lonesome cowboy on the same trail as you.

And BTW, your Don Quixote motif is simply superb.
I wonder- do you too, tilt at windmills as I do?

Last edited by shankar.balan : 20th April 2023 at 18:48.
shankar.balan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 21:25   #1243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I have the Thar and Gypsy.

The Thar is ...... very wide.

The Gypsy - ..... is narrow and slim...
I figure you are comparing the Thar to the Gypsy, and I don't know how the Gypsy compares in dimensions to the Jimny (I have not been in either), but if I look at the numbers, the Thar seems ever so marginally wider than the Jimny. Translating the numbers, the Thar seems like about a palm wider on either side compared to the Jimny. Now assuming the Jimny and Gypsy are about the same width (are they?), I was wondering if it would make any meaningful difference in a real world scenario. But reading your comment, it seems like it's substantial. Is it really that big a noticeable difference? Or are we just splitting hair here?

Edit: I googled these numbers, which I should I have done before posting the above. Anywho, looks like the Thar is 1820mm, Jimny 1645mm, and Gypsy 1540mm wide (assuming the source is correct). That makes the Gypsy almost a foot slimmer (280mm/11 inches) compared to the Thar. So I reckon you are right about how that must feel from behind the wheel. But the difference between the Thar/Jimny is much smaller (175mm/shy of 7 inches) which actually makes it less than a palm wider on either side. I guess we'll have to wait to get behind the wheel and see it for ourselves.

Last edited by fjcruiser08 : 20th April 2023 at 21:36. Reason: Added an edit with details
Old 20th April 2023, 22:44   #1244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjcruiser08 View Post
Anywho, looks like the Thar is 1820mm, Jimny 1645mm, and Gypsy 1540mm wide (assuming the source is correct).
Jimny actual body width is 1475 mm, which is equal to the Maruti Suzuki Eeco van+ 85 mm thick plastic wheel arch cladding on each of the sides (which is actually non-functional width that cannot be utilised). That makes the total Jimny width= 1475+(2x85)= 1645 mm.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_20230321_182137455_hdr.jpg  

RijuC is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 23:19   #1245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
Jimny actual body width is 1475 mm, which is equal to the Maruti Suzuki Eeco van+ 85 mm thick plastic wheel arch cladding on each of the sides (which is actually non-functional width that cannot be utilised). That makes the total Jimny width= 1475+(2x85)= 1645 mm.
Ok, that makes sense; so it is indeed quite skinnier than the Thar. Next time I step outside am gonna take a closer look at the Thar in the driveway, because am wondering whether the Thar too has such "non-functional" width added to it in a similar fashion. Nevertheless, if am negotiating a tight turn, I'd still need to factor in the entire width of the vehicle, regardless of whether the width was added on by any "non-functional" part/s, no?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks