Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2023, 19:35   #1171
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023

So expect price of Zeta MT between 10-11 lakhs & of Alpha AT between 17-18 lakhs.
Though TD vehicles are expected to arrive at dealerships in later half of May but price announcement is likely to be in June beginning only. Let’s see…
Old 15th April 2023, 09:09   #1172
BHPian

With all Nexa cars including the grand vitara and XL6 coming in CNG, will we have a Jimny CNG too?
The added weight of cylinder would serve the same purpose as sand bags used in gypsies.

Last edited by vikramvicky1984 : 15th April 2023 at 09:11.
Old 15th April 2023, 09:46   #1173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Lal View Post
So expect price of Zeta MT between 10-11 lakhs & of Alpha AT between 17-18 lakhs.
Though TD vehicles are expected to arrive at dealerships in later half of May but price announcement is likely to be in June beginning only. Let’s see…
It will be a fiasco bigger than Kizashi if they price it anywhere near that. The price ceiling has been set by the 4x2 Thar. Thar is a far bigger vehicle with more sophisticated underpinnings and bigger and more modern engines and gearboxes. Maruti goes any higher, and Mahindra will be rubbing its hands in glee. Time and again, Indian customers have taught manufacturers that arrogance and overplaying the premium card leads to disaster.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 15th April 2023, 10:47   #1174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Lal View Post
Jimny is positioned as a niche vehicle with premium pricing over the globe, also without much competition. But in India Jimny has to face competition from stronger brands like THAR & BOLERO.

Personally I feel like Jimny is a much simpler & profitable construction than even a BOLERO, it could be priced similar too. My guess for the entry level variant pricing is BOLERO + 25K-6 AIRBAGS+ 100K-4wd+ 100K -AT hinting around 9.5-12L ex.showroom.

Last edited by TorqueIndia : 15th April 2023 at 10:50.
TorqueIndia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2023, 12:04   #1175
BHPian

Pune Jimny fans, the Jimny will be on display at Sai Service Nexa Baner, Pune from tomorrow till 18th April as confirmed by the SA. Anyone interested in having a look can drop by at the showroom.
Djay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2023, 12:33   #1176
KPR
BANNED

What if Mahindra brings back 4x4 bolero? 4x4 enthusiasts may buy that instead of Jimny at 10L price point.
KPR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th April 2023, 12:55   #1177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
What if Mahindra brings back 4x4 bolero? 4x4 enthusiasts may buy that instead of Jimny at 10L price point.
Mahindra is not stupid enough to do that, that will only reduce the profits from 5 door Thar
Old 15th April 2023, 13:44   #1178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
Majority of the people who buy Thar aren't a 4x4 enthusiasts. They buy it because it's a Thar.

Moreover, almost noone in a tier 1 city who has a Thar an a option, will jump on a Bolero even if it has a similar spec. Even if in some cases the person wants to, if he's married, his spouse will be against buying a bolero.
vellatechie is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th April 2023, 15:24   #1179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashant View Post
Compactness is Jimny strength. I think Maruti has done an excellent job in 5 door transformation. With the narrow body, any longer it would have looked like Force Toofan.
I was actually thinking the same thing when i saw the behemoth yesterday.

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-photo1681409725.jpeg

MSIL can really pull a rabbit out by introducing a 4x2 variant in the 8-9lacs bracket. People who have never gone off-road will never know what they are missing.
Moto$apien is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2023, 15:55   #1180
BHPian

Suzuki must launch this product with Premium pricing.

Reason: those who understand the vehicle and want it will not mind the premium. All that they want is a cute little car that can take them wherever they want to go, be it on the road or off it.
Suzuki should then hold on to the launch price for 1 or 2 years by which time the prices would start looking less premium. This will then make all fence sitters buy it.

I just hope Suzuki doesn't go the reverse way - launch at a lower price and then steadily increase the prices. This will kill this beautiful product.
Maverick1977 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2023, 16:24   #1181
BANNED

With regards to the Jimny everyone is saying that MS is a budget car company and it can’t charge a premium and live with it. But has anyone seen into the fact that they fleece their customers on the name of ‘Service’ and no one has realised it. The customer keeps feeling they are getting a good deal with a budget car company, while in reality they are being fleeced.

This is my experience -

I Owned a Linea Diesel and used to spend ₹6-7k for a service every 15k kms from 2012-2015.

Come 2015 i bought a Ertiga diesel and kept spending 7-10k every ₹10k kms.

Now comes the best part in 2020 Feb i bought a Hexa AT and have been spending 4-6k every ₹15k kms. While my friend ends up spending ₹7-8k every 10k kms for his Ignis. ( Hexa XTA OTR cost me ₹21lakhs while my friend paid ₹8lakhs for the AMT Ingnis - we both bought our cars in 2020)

In my personal experience Maruti suzuki’s vehicles are way too expensive to maintain especially when you get them serviced at a MSIL/Nexa authorised dealers workshop. While it worked out a little cheaper when serviced at MASS. The cost of service per kilometre is almost two to three times as compared to the now defunct Fiat brand and present day TATA cars.

If you take the ratio of the cars cost to the service costs then you’ll know the true picture.

Last edited by Drlmtukkar : 15th April 2023 at 16:25. Reason: Grammatical mistake
Drlmtukkar is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 15th April 2023, 20:27   #1182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post

Reason: those who understand the vehicle and want it will not mind the premium.
I disagree. This simply implies only people with money can appreciate finer tastes. I've been waiting for this car since forever, and I'd LOVE to save money while fulfilling my dream. Furthermore, it exacerbates the problem of companies sucking enthusiasts dry. I'm tired of insane markups in any niche segment. Specialty coffee, automobiles, perfumery, name any niche segment and you'll find companies milking the notion of "perceived rarity" and enthusiasm.

Rant aside, the car was on display at Nexa Safdarjung today. Totally loved how much more practical it is for city rides and weekend excursions, the added boot space and doors make it slightly more practical than a two door thar in the city.
ubermensch is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th April 2023, 20:45   #1183
BHPian

Given the noise around it and the excitement I am sure it will be priced at a premium and still a hit. There was a lot of criticism against Ignis model and also its pricing on these forums. Who will buy it was a common refrain. Well people bought it and still selling reasonably well for its niche. They know the Indian pulse well.
Where they have gone wrong is bigger cars, more than 15-20 lakh ones. No one wants to buy higher priced ones from them. Rest they have all the block busters, cocking a snook on the so called experts!
Old 15th April 2023, 21:10   #1184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post

Reason: those who understand the vehicle and want it will not mind the premium. All that they want is a cute little car that can take them wherever they want to go, be it on the road or off it.
Suzuki should then hold on to the launch price for 1 or 2 years by which time the prices would start looking less premium. This will then make all fence sitters buy it.

I just hope Suzuki doesn't go the reverse way - launch at a lower price and then steadily increase the prices. This will kill this beautiful product.
I have to disagree with that theory. What you’re wanting is for Maruti to make the Jimny a ‘halo’ product. For one, Maruti has learnt through long years that this is not a game they can play - the OG Grand Vitara, Kizashi, the OG SCross.. good products. Didn’t sell. Even the current Grand Vitara, in its most expensive Smart Hybrid form at 23 lacs +, had to be watered down as low as a CNG model option, to democratise it and not come across as ‘too big for its boots’. That brand perception is Maruti’s cross to bear for being the largest selling automaker in the country.
As for the Jimny - if a halo product is all they wanted, what was wrong with sending it straight to the showrooms in its SWB guise? It would’ve been impractical and desirable at the same time. Why tool over a LWB specifically for the Indian buyer, unless you’re looking for mass acceptability? No sir - the incoming Jimny has the volume game squarely in its sights. They may keep a wide margin between the lowest Zeta MT and the highest Alpha AT - but even that would be at their own peril. I’m sticking to my guns - no more than 12 lacs OTR for the cheapest. That’ll set the cat among the pigeons.
SUVolens is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th April 2023, 22:10   #1185
BHPian

A Wagon R 1.2 AMT ZXi Plus retails for 8.4 lakhs on the road while a Brezza AT in VXi trim retails for 13.5 lakhs in 2023. If MSIL prices the Jimny Zeta AT(read mid variant) in par with the Brezza or less I believe it would be value for money considering its niche appearance and practicality. They can surely bet with the skimming pricing strategy for the top of the line Alpha AT variant. Premium pricing for all variants is going to cost them sales volume for sure just like the Kizashi , S Cross and the old generation Vitara.
VishnuNarayanan is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks