Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2023, 12:52   #1351
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by matchvan View Post
Greetings Team,

My SA says next month 10th to 15th they have training on Jimny.

So, launch is near and hope atleast...

1) They send display vehicles to Hyderabad and Chennai before that!! Sigh!!!

2) And during the launch itself the pricing is announced as well unless they want us junta to keep playing the guessing game!!

Drive Safe.
Who's the dealer? Today I was told I can test drive jimny by next month ending and delivery by june.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-screenshot_2023042612534988_6012fa4d4ddec268fc5c7112cbb265e7.jpg  

Last edited by Vulken Auto : 26th April 2023 at 12:54.
Old 26th April 2023, 15:04   #1352
Senior - BHPian

A little birdie has told me that Jimny manufacturing has started at Maruti plant in Gurgaon.
quickdraw is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th April 2023, 16:06   #1353
BHPian

Base price of a Maruti Suzuki Jimny in India at Rs 9.99 lakh (ex-showroom) - AutoX

Link to article
kthrottle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2023, 18:41   #1354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulken Auto View Post
Who's the dealer? Today I was told I can test drive jimny by next month ending and delivery by june.
It's Nexa Adarsha.

It coincides with what your dealer said.

My SA said in March that on 1st April they had a training on Fronx.

It launched soon after, same with Jimny may be.

Let's see if we can get display vehicle before that.

May be Maruti is thinking Hyderabad is in another country just like they think that Chennai is on an Island

Last edited by matchvan : 26th April 2023 at 18:45.
Old 27th April 2023, 06:29   #1355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAutomaniac View Post
Again, crawling to the malls isn't what the Jimny is made for! It is a small utilitarian lifestyle vehicle which is made purely for being fun in the trails and running errands in the small narrow streets.
As long as one keeps driving straight and don't encounter a turn in those narrow streets, it'll do fine. Else, The err-and may soon turn into a "To err is human, and to forgive is divine" situation. And the fellow motorists won't be divine enough to forgive.

Jimny clearly doesn't have a good turning radius for the smaller size it possesses. I would prefer a car with smaller turning radius in narrow streets even if it's significantly bigger than Jimny. I say this because I drive two of those(Thar and Gypsy) which aren't great with turning radius' for obvious reasons. Gypsy wheel track and width is so narrow to weave through traffic, can even give the auto rickshaw folks a taste of their medicine, but the moment you need an u turn or a sharp and narrow right angle turn to be encountered, you just pray that it's Mother Teresa, Paulo Coelho, Pope Francis and Dalai Lama trailing you in their vehicles behind and not the Shashi Tharoors(one with great vocab)of the world

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 27th April 2023 at 06:50.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 07:21   #1356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
Jimny clearly doesn't have a good turning radius for the smaller size it possesses. I would prefer a car with smaller turning radius in narrow streets even if it's significantly bigger than Jimny. I say this because I drive two of those(Thar and Gypsy) which aren't great with turning radius' for obvious reasons.
And what will happen for the sharp hairpin bend inclines of single lane hill roads, with one truck coming down at the same point? The local residents would have everyday driving experience in such terrains and these moments are their everyday life. For plain living adventure seekers, this is one of the tough moments. With small footprint and sustained momentum, the small hatchbacks pass this easily (so do the Innova cabs).

What about Jimny? Again, we- the plain living customers won't get any TD for this situation.
RijuC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 07:30   #1357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
And what will happen for the sharp hairpin bend inclines of single lane hill roads, with one truck coming down at the same point? The local residents would have everyday driving experience in such terrains and these moments are their everyday life.
And hence the ones behind and the one coming down would be patient enough to wait and give way or help out. That's the not the case with the mad race and rush in cities. You delay a fraction to move when it turns green, you'll have the cacophony of honks behind you, going all up at once. So imagine the arena of a 2-3 point turn.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 08:19   #1358
BHPian

Quote:
As long as one keeps driving straight and don't encounter a turn in those narrow streets, it'll do fine. Else, The err-and may soon turn into a "To err is human, and to forgive is divine" situation. And the fellow motorists won't be divine enough to forgive.
+1
I encounter/enjoy this everytime I go to drop my wife to school in my Nano, I climb the Murray Co bridge, taking a U turn very close to the divider, (the spot where bikers squeeze in) where even E rickshaw/Autos have to take a slightly longer UTurn, but I just turn like a dime and zip zap zoom, and others are angry and honking.

Quote:
Jimny clearly doesn't have a good turning radius for the smaller size it possesses.
Correct, I see lots of posts here, where wifes have shown keen interest in buying Jimny as their daily drive to office, men beware you will be cursed till death, if she has to take a 2-3 point U turn on this.
To illustrate, another lady teacher drives an Ecosport, while going to school she doesn't take this UTurn, instead goes straight takes a right from the signal, after another 500 mtrs takes another right from the next signal, and reaches school. She mentions this to my wife, and have a good laugh, on how tiny Nano's footprint are.
Vinod_nair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 09:41   #1359
BHPian

I have been following some of the disucssions and concerns over the turning radius of Jimny, specially about how problematic it would be in narrow city roads and hilly hairpin bends.

Well, my daily drive at present is a XUV 500 AWD. I often take it to the hills and also tackle narrow city lanes and bylanes of North Kolkata. While I do face problems with the length and width of XUV in the narrow city bylanes, I never really faced much of a trouble in the hills due to its's turning radius.

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-xuv-jimny.jpg

Jimny being smaller in all dimensions, has a slightly larger turning radius (100 mm more). So definitely it may feel a bit difficult to manage if one considers and drives it like a small car, but 5700 mm TR is not that difficult to manage. And coming from a XUV 500 with 5600 mm TR, I do not think it would be much different for me if I buy the Jimny.

It would definitely be not as nimble as an Alto or Nano for sure in the narrow roads - and it is not meant to be so.
sadnabrina is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 10:58   #1360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadnabrina View Post
I have been following some of the disucssions and concerns over the turning radius of Jimny, specially about how problematic it would be in narrow city roads and hilly hairpin bends.

Well, my daily drive at present is a XUV 500 AWD. I often take it to the hills and also tackle narrow city lanes and bylanes of North Kolkata. While I do face problems with the length and width of XUV in the narrow city bylanes, I never really faced much of a trouble in the hills due to its's turning radius.

Attachment 2444389

Jimny being smaller in all dimensions, has a slightly larger turning radius (100 mm more). So definitely it may feel a bit difficult to manage if one considers and drives it like a small car, but 5700 mm TR is not that difficult to manage. And coming from a XUV 500 with 5600 mm TR, I do not think it would be much different for me if I buy the Jimny.

It would definitely be not as nimble as an Alto or Nano for sure in the narrow roads - and it is not meant to be so.
My wife & I have been using Jeep Compass AT for more than five years whose minimum turning radius is same as of Jimny ie., 5.7 m
Initially when we started using Jeep Compass, felt some difficulty in taking U turns but with time we adjusted to our driving habits & now we make sure to keep this vehicle on extreme opposite side before making U turn. With this we hardly need to reverse back to take a turn. While making normal turns, even sharper ones, we never faced any problem. So I think in Jimny too minimum turning radius should not be a problem.
Rahul Lal is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 11:54   #1361
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Lal View Post
My wife & I have been using Jeep Compass AT for more than five years whose minimum turning radius is same as of Jimny ie., 5.7 m
Initially when we started using Jeep Compass, felt some difficulty in taking U turns but with time we adjusted to our driving habits & now we make sure to keep this vehicle on extreme opposite side before making U turn. With this we hardly need to reverse back to take a turn. While making normal turns, even sharper ones, we never faced any problem. So I think in Jimny too minimum turning radius should not be a problem.
The problem with this approach is the traffic will not let you complete the turn in their irrational need to get past you before you turn. I cannot understand this mentality. Is slowing down or stopping such a bad thing?
gsferrari is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 13:48   #1362
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
I cannot understand this mentality. Is slowing down or stopping such a bad thing?
This is a very ‘Indian’ thing. We absolutely have to get ahead. Like we are all wishing to be the ‘fastest spermozoa which fertilizes the egg’ and all the rest fall by the wayside. This is cultural. Right from early childhood one is urged to ‘get ahead’ and distance one’s self from the pack.

Anyway, I digress.

In ref to this Jimny’s turning radius I think no one will be able to really decide anything unless one drives it in a variety of different conditions, in city, in traffic, making tight U Turns, in rural areas and narrow roads, in hilly areas etc. I don't think it is a good idea to make any of these pre-suppositions and fuel pre-conceived notions based purely on the specification sheet. Also this vehicle will not have been such a hit if it weren’t a highly capable, relatively affordable and definitely desirable vehicle.

Some of us learned to drive on narrow hill roads. Learned to reverse properly on a variety of vehicles - tractors with trailers and small lorries and old Jeeps and Matador vans and Ambassadors and Fiats and all. None of those vehicles had power steering and/ or a tiny turning radius. We managed all the same and managed well too.

When the first Dolphins and Maruti 800’s and Vans and Gypsys came, they were like super-light toys by contrast.

Go anywhere to any hilly region in Spain or France or Italy. And the same challenges of tight spaces abound, just like in India. The only difference is less crowd and more discipline.

So I am very sure that the Jimny will be perfectly fine to live with. Don't forget that it is a ‘Kei’ car and designed for a small footprint in the small narrow confines of cities in (albeit highly disciplined) Japan.
shankar.balan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 14:14   #1363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
This is a very ‘Indian’ thing. We absolutely have to get ahead. Like we are all wishing to be the ‘fastest spermozoa which fertilizes the egg’ and all the rest fall by the wayside. This is cultural. Right from early childhood one is urged to ‘get ahead’ and distance one’s self from the pack.

Go anywhere to any hilly region in Spain or France or Italy. And the same challenges of tight spaces abound, just like in India. The only difference is less crowd and more discipline..
I absolutely don't take offense at tagging this behaviour as "Indian" and agree it, indeed, is a problem. We are not disciplined and patient as much as we should ideally be. But, perhaps this forum isn't correct to discuss solutions e.g. how charity begins at home or setting right examples in front of our children by say, not throwing trash out of car windows or at the other extreme end carrying a trash bag and collecting others' trash from the hiking trail.
However, the Europeans are no saints either
Here's what happens in middle of Paris (I was driving a Swedish car, no prizes for guessing which one) where people were not keeping the junction clear and were blocking a public "tram" (beat that).
Give Europe our population density and then see their discipline.
hp52_vishy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 17:02   #1364
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp52_vishy View Post
However, the Europeans are no saints either
Here's what happens in middle of Paris (I was driving a Swedish car, no prizes for guessing which one) where people were not keeping the junction clear and were blocking a public "tram" (beat that).
Give Europe our population density and then see their discipline.
Ha ha. Yes you are right. Population density means everyone is always in a hurry. Like Lemmings rushing headlong at a cliff to throw themselves into the sea.

Italy, Spain, Greece etc were all poor countries in the 1950’s and 1960’s and absolutely you are right. They were exactly that, the ‘Third world’ inside of Europe. Parisians and the French generally are pretty notorious for thumbing their noses at rules. They hate “Les Flics”.

But again, we digress. Let me cease and desist right here.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 17:33   #1365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
In ref to this Jimny’s turning radius I think no one will be able to really decide anything unless one drives it in a variety of different conditions, in city, in traffic, making tight U Turns, in rural areas and narrow roads, in hilly areas etc. I don't think it is a good idea to make any of these pre-suppositions and fuel pre-conceived notions based purely on the specification sheet.

Irrespective of the conditions we test them, I'm sure you'll agree that the turning radius on paper and on ground shall remain at 5.7 m. My whole point was about people considering Jimny as a city run about, including narrow streets and lanes etc. sadnabrina had put things in perspective in his post above. Jimny which is half the size of XUV500 has the same turning radius as 500 and Compass. That's a clear give away.

While the smaller footprint is a boon, it's not going to translate into easy squeezing it in tight parking spots, easy U turns, turning in busy and narrow streets etc. It can turn only at places where a XUV 500 or Compass can, it can't do a wagon R or Ignis in the given situation.

Have read elsewhere on Jimny discussion here on our forum that folks are looking to replace Wagon R, Ignis and the likes with Jimny keeping in mind similar city usage patterns. They'll be in for a rude shock I reckon. Their turning radius' are at 4.7 m AFAIK, which is way lesser than Jimny and it's a whopping difference.

There's absolutely no doubting Jimny's capability as a car for all the purposes it's orginally designed and built for. Jimny as a city slicker will have it's limitations. You can of course live with it in such city conditions but can't say I love it.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 27th April 2023 at 17:48.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks