BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023

Another video for on-road presence !

VivekWalia1986 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2023, 21:26   #1397

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeshrcp View Post
So @thakkali, what’s your choice? Blueish Black or Nexa Blue?
Definitely the black as they didnt release the forest green . Have a soft spot for black/green jeeps. If I am buying it, I am going to wash and clean it religiously and I wont be bothered about the car getting dirty. And after an off-road drive anyways it should look the dirtiest .

But I am disappointed with the speculative pricing that is going around. I need an AT and I want to buy the top end but the speculated 16lakh on road is minimum 3 lakhs over priced according to my judgement. In my opinion, Jimny base model should be less than 9.99l given the size, engine capacity etc. In fact after the speculations came out I called up a nearby Mahindra showroom to enquire about the Thar and seems the wait times have come down. I am thinking of jumping ship to a Thar petrol auto in case of the hefty price for Jimny. Considerations being the availability of a soft top and possibly better ride quality for front seats given the independent front suspension. And the price of a Thar looks justified given the engine specs. Can live with the minor electronic failures as long as the mechanics don't fail where the Mahindras are good at. Hanging on to the Jimny booking until price reveal. Meanwhile I have been scouring 4X4 Australia reddit forums for Jimny as its popular in Australia and have came across many opinions which says it is overpriced there as well. Hopefully Suzuki wont overplay its nicheness in India where it can capture a bigger mass market at a right price. All eyes on the price alone at this point. The ball is in Maruti's court now.
thakkali_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2023, 23:38   #1398
Senior - BHPian

Recently a known person whom I've met a couple of times has made a video with a Jimny. What interests me is that I know this guy is exactly my body height and width since we've met. Although my paunch has grown substantially. .
So basically I was of the opinion that I won't fit in the Jimny but here it has surprised me.
Also his idea of fitting 31 inch tires with a lift kit would make its height go up substantially and maybe get that small car mental block off my head.

Don't know yet but I think I need to have an in person experience with the Jimny. Dehradun hasn't got one yet I think.

navpreet318 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th May 2023, 10:56   #1399
BHPian

Also, 16 inchers without lift kit would look good too !

VivekWalia1986 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th May 2023, 12:24   #1400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Dehradun hasn't got one yet I think.
https://Youtu.be/BLQ6QLTHVqU
The media drive is happening there at end of the month. I think you will see plenty in the showrooms and on the roads around that time.
gsferrari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2023, 18:16   #1401
BHPian

I went across to the Nexa showroom to check out the Jimny.

My observations are as follows:-
1. I am 5 feet 9.5 inches tall. Average medium slim build. The first thing I noticed is that the vehicle ergonomics is spot on. Cabin width is tight but there was ample headroom and legroom. I did not get this comfortable feeling while sitting in the Thar.
2. Please keep in mind that it is a hard core off-roader optimised for narrow trails. And all the points I checked like ground clearance, visibility from the driver's seat etc are spot on for the purpose.
3. Fit and finish is more than adequate for the purpose.
4. It is basicaly a 4 seater with just enough luggage space for day picnics.
5. Ride quality needs to be checked once test drives start.

If you are more of a mall crawler with some occasional bad roads travels look no further than the Grand Vitara (new). With AWD package that will be more than enough. Though Maruti's refusal to offer an AT gearbox in the AWD is perplexing.

I intend to stick with my current 2 cars for a couple of years more. The Jimny can easily replace my Santro but my parents will find it very difficult to get into the rear seat. So that is out of question.
sridhar-v is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th May 2023, 20:58   #1402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
The media drive is happening there at end of the month. I think you will see plenty in the showrooms and on the roads around that time.
Yep. Scouted for the location along with "you know who" for the hilux as well as the jimny.
navpreet318 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 10:05   #1403
Distinguished - BHPian

Reason for Maruti Jimny media drive location change (after the photoshoot incident in Leh)- Jimny too not spared in politics!

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-screenshot-20230505-100426.png

Last edited by volkman10 : 5th May 2023 at 10:33.
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 12:04   #1404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Reason for Maruti Jimny media drive location change (after the photoshoot incident in Leh)- Jimny too not spared in politics!

Attachment 2447365
Dehradun is far more representative of real-world use case scenarios than Leh. No need to worry about AMS affecting certain people and having infrastructure to deal with that.

Reviews entirely shot in a high altitude desert will also look boring after a few minutes. All publications will have similar looking footage that is predominantly grey.
gsferrari is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 12:07   #1405
BHPian

Good! Ladakh & Himachal has enough "enthusiasts" with their "SUVs" destroying the fragile ecology in the name of "off-roading"... Insta is full of video of irresponsible behavior and then comeuppance.
Bhodrolok is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 14:40   #1406
BHPian

Hi,
Received a call from Nandanam Nexa that the Jimny was on display for "one day only" on 4th of March and that I should avail this offer to check it out in person (as if it were a pongal offer or a year end offer) but I digress. I had booked the Zeta 4x4 AT as a second car for the missus for city rides and my occasional off roading excursions. Going by first impressions, it doesn't look good as a second car. FOllowing are the factors that work against the Jimny as of now.

1. Entry and exit is difficult for short people, women and the elderly.
2. Driver seat is really low and having driven the Thar, I can safely say that for Off roading and city driving, it is going to be very difficult for short people. Off roading and city driving requires inch perfect driving skills especially when the Jimny's USP is narrow footprint and the low slung seat is definitely not working against it's favor. The same feedback was given by many customers to the NEXA sales team, it seems.
3. The suspension is very soft. Even when my son weighing 35 kgs got into the back seat, the Jimny tilts and recoils. This would definitely impact the handling of the car.
4. This is more of a rant. When I went to see the Jimny, it was around 7.45 to 8. Only the Sales team was there and there was absolutely no customer footfall. Add to that, music was blaring and led disco lights swirling as if it was a gala event. I think that with Jimny, Maruti is deceiving itself into believing that such gimmicks will generate publicity. Only people who have a very specific demand for Jimny will buy one. Already, there are many cancellations or migration of Fronx to the lower variants due to pricing (information from the show room) and yet Maruti wants to create a hype that Jimny is the next best thing. Guess what, it isnt.
At best it is a second car for many who have booked and a few nut cases like me who want a off roader. But greedy pricing is going to see one less customer. Of course, my final verdict will be only after the test drive and pricing.
Neil Roy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 17:48   #1407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
Hi,
Received a call from Nandanam Nexa that the Jimny was on display for "one day only" on 4th of March and that I should avail this offer to check it out in person (as if it were a pongal offer or a year end offer) but I digress. I had booked the Zeta 4x4 AT as a second car for the missus for city rides and my occasional off roading excursions. Going by first impressions, it doesn't look good as a second car. FOllowing are the factors that work against the Jimny as of now.

1. Entry and exit is difficult for short people, women and the elderly.
2. Driver seat is really low and having driven the Thar, I can safely say that for Off roading and city driving, it is going to be very difficult for short people. Off roading and city driving requires inch perfect driving skills especially when the Jimny's USP is narrow footprint and the low slung seat is definitely not working against it's favor. The same feedback was given by many customers to the NEXA sales team, it seems.
3. The suspension is very soft. Even when my son weighing 35 kgs got into the back seat, the Jimny tilts and recoils. This would definitely impact the handling of the car.
4. This is more of a rant. When I went to see the Jimny, it was around 7.45 to 8. Only the Sales team was there and there was absolutely no customer footfall. Add to that, music was blaring and led disco lights swirling as if it was a gala event. I think that with Jimny, Maruti is deceiving itself into believing that such gimmicks will generate publicity. Only people who have a very specific demand for Jimny will buy one. Already, there are many cancellations or migration of Fronx to the lower variants due to pricing (information from the show room) and yet Maruti wants to create a hype that Jimny is the next best thing. Guess what, it isnt.
At best it is a second car for many who have booked and a few nut cases like me who want a off roader. But greedy pricing is going to see one less customer. Of course, my final verdict will be only after the test drive and pricing.

Exactly. Jimny is not a supercar from Suzuki that being portrayed here. Its just an upgraded version of Gypsy. I actually liked advertisement strategy of TATA Punch. Something similar should be adopted for Jimny as young at heart tough little off-road vehicle. Instead of 'we are doing you guys a favour by displaying it for 2 days' kind of super hyped vehicle. If Maruti tries to sell a Dog as a exotic Tiger then
offroad_maniac is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th May 2023, 00:06   #1408
Senior - BHPian

Took a look at the Jimny today in Kolkata at the NEXA, Park Street showroom.

1. Considering that it is going to be a brand new product from Maruti, there was hardly any crowd in the showroom. I went to the showroom around 1500 hrs and when I entered i was the only one. A youngish couple did saunter in after 10 odd minutes or so. They asked the sales executive whether any variant of Jimny comes with a sunroof. When they received a negative reply, i could see them leaving immediately and pop in to the Hyundai showroom which is located diagonally opposite!

2. Driving position is comfortable. Lovely frontal visibility through the flat windscreen. Edges of bonnet clearly visible.

3. The driver and co-driver seats are quite soft and I have serious doubts about the seat cushioning's capability to keep lower back pain at bay. Particularly when you are doing long highway stints in a car like this to reach your off roading location. I seriously wonder why manufacturers are so daft in cutting corners on seats. Front legroom is sufficient. For people with big feet your left foot will brush against the centre console.

Rear seats are quite uncomfortable. The ingress and egress to the rear is through a narrow door opening aperture. The rear seat cushions are woefully short of under-thigh support. The rear seat backrest angle is too upright even at its maximum recline setting. Rear footroom is decent.
Openable rear window glazing area is small and narrow. Those who travel regularly with their pets in the rear seat may not find the Jimny pet friendly.
Rear seat can accomodate two people.

3. Boot space is meagre. You have to utilise the height to accomodate large pieces of luggage. The rear luggage door swingate opening is large and provides a useful wide mouth to haul your luggage up & in.

4. Cost cutting everywhere. Maruti has raided its internal parts bin and come up with a very high level of commonisation. Control switches, stalks, steering wheel and steering mounted audio controls, cabin lamp, rear boot lamp are all from Maruti parts bin.
Even the rear power window.switches. As far as I could see the Jimny rear power window switch is snitched from the Old Baleno sedan / Baleno Altura.

5 . Minimal use of wheelarch liners and sound deadening material throughout the vehicle.

6. The suspension setting seems to be on the softer side. While getting into and out of the car one can clearly see the body "tilting".

Dealers are expecting their demo cars this month. Have told them that I want to take a thorough test drive before deciding.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-screenshot_20230506231033.png  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-screenshot_20230506231105.png  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_20230506_123708741.jpg  

arjab is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2023, 00:20   #1409
BHPian

I just happen to land on the booking page and just saw this at the bottom of the page:

"3 . In case of cancellation within period of 6 months from date of booking, amount will be refunded online into source account only. For any cancellation beyond this period, refund would be settled offline between customer and dealer selected at time of booking."

I booked in Jan but somehow don't remember seeing this clause. Does anyone else who booked in Jan, remember this being there? Or was this added later?

Thanks.
Old 7th May 2023, 06:55   #1410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysossa View Post
"3 . In case of cancellation within period of 6 months from date of booking, amount will be refunded online into source account only. For any cancellation beyond this period, refund would be settled offline between customer and dealer selected at time of booking."
Thanks.
I don't remember the "For any cancellation beyond this period, refund would be settled offline between customer and dealer selected at time of booking" clause being there when they opened the booking. They must have added it later.
jfk1975 is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks