Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2023, 13:36   #466
BHPian

re: Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023

Interestingly as per the gentleman in the video below, its not advisable to use the 4WD system of the Jimny ever on the road, even if its raining. Engage the 4WD drive system only in the ICE, mud or other lose offroad conditions.

The gentleman in the video says that front and rear axles both get locked when the 4WD system is engaged.

So far I was aware of the locking systems which lock the both side wheels of the same axle when the diff lock is engaged. In that case turning the steering is not advisable.

But seems like Jimny's all four wheels get locked when the 4WD system is engaged. Quite handful during tricky offroad situations and far better than the nearest contender Thar-petrol which loses out that mediocre MLD from the rear axle in the latest iteration, but such system is also risky since it can lead into some expensive damage to the drive-terrain if used on hard surfaces.

Watch and listen after 2:50-

Last edited by tbppjpr : 29th January 2023 at 13:56.
tbppjpr is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2023, 14:15   #467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Interestingly its not advisable to use the 4WD system of the Jimny ever on the road a per the gentleman in the video below, even if its raining. Engage the 4WD drive system only in the ICE, mud or other lose offroad conditions.
This is pretty much how a part time 4WD like Jimny, Gypsy, Thar 1/2, old Jeeps, Gurkha, Fortuner 2nd Gen, Hilux, Gypsy, MuX, VCross etc should be used i.e., do not engage 4H or 4L on tarmac. The manual says one can shift to 4H under 100KpH and front wheels straight, but there is no reason to engage 4H on tarmac and should only be engaged on loose surfaces that allow for some slip between front and rear axle speeds and risk transmission windup.

The reason is the above ^^ do not have a center differential to allow for different speeds between front and rear axles. A full time 4WD like 1st gen Fortuner, old Grand Vitara, Montero had a transfer case for 4H/4L and a center differential.

Quote:
The gentleman in the video says that front and rear axles both get locked when the 4WD system is engaged.

But seems like Jimny's all four wheels get locked when the 4WD system is engaged. Quite handful during tricky offroad situations and far better than the nearest contender Thar petrol which loses out that mediocre MLD from the rear axle in the latest iteration, but such system is also risky since it can lead into some damage to the drive-terrain if used on hard surfaces.
Front and rear axles do not allow for slip when 4H or 4L is engaged because there is no center differential. This is the norm for all the vehicles in the first list above. All 4 wheels don't get locked unless there is a locker present and engaged on both front and rear axles. Only Gurkha has it stock on both axles and Thar had a governor based mechanical locking differential on the rear axle.

Jimny, Thar 1/2, Gurkha, Gypsy, Fortuner 2nd Gen, Hilux, MuX, VCross etc are in the same club in how 4WD works mechanically and what should not be done and how it should be used.

So to lock all 4 wheels together on a Jimny one needs to fit lockers on both axles, engage it and then put the transfer case in 4h/4L.

Last edited by Sankar : 29th January 2023 at 14:16.
Sankar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th January 2023, 14:36   #468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
but there is no reason to engage 4H on tarmac and should only be engaged on loose surfaces that allow for some slip between front and rear axle speeds and risk transmission windup.
So to lock all 4 wheels together on a Jimny one needs to fit lockers on both axles, engage it and then put the transfer case in 4h/4L.
Yes, the 4WD is not supposed to be used during regular driving conditions, but its forgiving in the most 4WD vehicles given that the vehicle is being driven in the straight line.

But whats confusing to me is that the gentleman in the video says that both axles get locked and all four wheels spin at the same speed, which doesn't seem to be true. I have seen lot of videos of the international Jimny where wheels spin at variable speeds on slippery surfaces in 4WD mode, so the locking system is not like what the gentleman claims.

This is similar like the current petrol-Thar which doesn't have the rear MLD and gets some secondary assist like BLD which is useful in some situations but not in many others, isn't it?

As you said, Jimny and the Thar both need some mods for serious offroading which are factory fitted in the stock Gurkha. But still a good enough package in the stock form for adventurous expeditions in the snow packed Himalayas.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 29th January 2023 at 14:42.
Old 29th January 2023, 18:17   #469
BHPian

Well just to share that I had booked a Jimny on the 19th however received no news whatsoever from the dealership. Then yesterday sent a tweet to the Maruti and within a couple of hours was contacted by Maruti social media team, senior Sales person from the dealership, was appointed an RM and they sent an receipt of payment as well as a mail confirming the booking.
Old 29th January 2023, 18:19   #470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke1972 View Post
Well just to share that I had booked a Jimny on the 19th however received no news whatsoever from the dealership. Then yesterday sent a tweet to the Maruti and within a couple of hours was contacted by Maruti social media team, senior Sales person from the dealership, was appointed an RM and they sent an receipt of payment as well as a mail confirming the booking.
You got your booking reference #?
Old 29th January 2023, 21:06   #471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjayV View Post
You got your booking reference #?
Well the receipt shared by an dealer has a 10 digit allotment no. and the name of the RM mentioned.
Old 29th January 2023, 22:25   #472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
The reason is the above ^^ do not have a center differential to allow for different speeds between front and rear axles. A full time 4WD like 1st gen Fortuner, old Grand Vitara, Montero had a transfer case for 4H/4L and a center differential.
Jimny front shaft is disconnected when in 2WD and connected (locked) when 4WD is engaged. When engaged power goes 50% to front and rear axle.

With this, and similar to locked central differential, once should NOT drive on hard surface. You can do it if there is slippage available between one wheel in your front axle and one wheel in your rear axle (as both front and rear axles are on open diff config). This avoids any stress being built up.

And AWD, which many also call full time 4WD, is as said in the quote, vehicles with open central diff. Power is usually around 30% front and 70% rear (or what ever distribution manufacturers has but not 50-50, for which they need to lock the central diff). Beware that in AWD, losing traction in one wheel is technically enought to stall you, but most vehicles now have electronics to help you here.

Jimny does not have lockers for either of the axles. They use a passive slip differential approach, which means, slippage takes place and then system reacts to it. In Gurka, one can lock them (both axles) manually, so avoid any guessing work. For lockers in Jimny, ARB provides diff lockers as add on kits.
HappyWheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2023, 22:26   #473
Distinguished - BHPian

Suzuki Jimny was in the radar of defense personnel since 2020.

Likely to be the replacement for the ageing Gypsy fleet.

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-aq.jpg

Quote:
With the launch of the India-spec Suzuki Jimny, the company would hope to recreate the magic of the Maruti Gypsy, which was first launched in the country over 34 years ago. Also, it may be noted here that the India-spec Gypsy was itself a derivative of the second-gen Suzuki Jimny.
Link
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2023, 11:02   #474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
But the King just reigns ! And i've no qualms in admitting that these are fan boy words. Here are my two close to heart machines that gives me unbridled fun and joy every time I drive them. Live Long Gypsy !
The white Gypsy of Bibendum90949, with just two front seats and rest of the part left open, and with lots of sporty stickers on them- this is what I dreamt about since teenage. And now I am getting close to own something with the same legacy.

So, bye bye to all worries about practicality and technical figures, transfer case and death wobble

The Safari Gypsy takes 4 people on board with our 4 days luggage, food and water through jungle trails, cross the river beds, climb uneven steep inclines, got down through a very narrow steep trail when we met a rouge elephant on a hillock. And we never felt space was inadequate, ride was bouncy, it didn't do triple digit speed, didn't have massive torque.

I just hope we get all these fun with a little more comfort in the Jimny.

For 0-100 in single digit seconds, 7 speed DCT, 400 Nm torque, drag race and road presence and Mafia gangsta look, 10 inch TV on dash, voice command to wipe the windscreen, sunroof to pop out heads and do "Pauri", JBL boom box, psychedelic lights in cabin, blinking strobe lights to bully sedate drivers and muscle flexing; we already have Sonet, Seltos, Hector, XUV700, Scorpio N in Indian Auto market.

Let's enjoy the sound of dropping dew, dry leaves in the jungle.
RijuC is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th January 2023, 11:11   #475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
The white Gypsy of Bibendum90949, with just two front seats and rest of the part left open, and with lots of sporty stickers on them- this is what I dreamt about since teenage. And now I am getting close to own something with the same legacy.

So, bye bye to all worries about practicality and technical figures, transfer case and death wobble
Pretty much sums it up for the lot of us who grew up seeing rally Gypsies on doordarshan, auto india, indian auto and car & bike
Sankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2023, 11:33   #476
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke1972 View Post
Well the receipt shared by an dealer has a 10 digit allotment no. and the name of the RM mentioned.
That's weird. I've only seen folks mentioning of booking no but not allotment no. I guess you're lucky eh.
Old 30th January 2023, 12:07   #477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjayV View Post
That's weird. I've only seen folks mentioning of booking no but not allotment no. I guess you're lucky eh.
Nope, my booking amount Receipt hardcopy document received from the NEXA dealership dated 12th January, 2023 does have the 10 digit allotment number.
Old 30th January 2023, 12:26   #478
BHPian

As I paid my booking sum online on Maruti's website, all I have got is the Payment Confirmation Receipt with the receipt number and inquiry number. What's this booking number (and more recently allotment number) that people have been talking about here? Am I missing something?
Also, no RM has been allotted to me as yet, like as some of the others have mentioned.
Anyone else in a similar boat? Thank you.
sammysossa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2023, 13:38   #479
Distinguished - BHPian

Jimny was much awaited. And as expected, has seen a huge surge in popularity, and interest.
Bookings have crossed 15,000 units, having grown by around 1,000 per day.

Fronx has also received a positive response, with bookings at around 300 per day. This accounts for about bookings of about 4k units

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 30th January 2023 at 13:40.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2023, 14:32   #480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysossa View Post
As I paid my booking sum online on Maruti's website, all I have got is the Payment Confirmation Receipt with the receipt number and inquiry number. What's this booking number (and more recently allotment number) that people have been talking about here? Am I missing something?
Also, no RM has been allotted to me as yet, like as some of the others have mentioned.
Anyone else in a similar boat? Thank you.
The process is that once you have booked and paid online the selected dealer reaches out to you to complete the paperwork. Only after he collects the documents are the details punched into the system and then you get the SOB number. The SOB number is sort of an allotment number but as far as I could gather it's not a running serial number nationally. Instead it seems to be dealer specific booking number.

The key is to make sure that the documents are collected and the system is updated and you get an SOB number.

If you haven't received any calls from your dealer then I suggest you reach out to him and complete the process.
Traveler is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks