Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2023, 01:27   #946
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023

Price difference between the Hyundai all new Verna 6 speed manual transmission and 7 speed DCT automatic transmission is 1.245 Lakh INR, for the same variant.

Let's see what is MSIL's asking price for the 4 speed Torque converter automatic transmission over the 5 speed manual transmission.
Old 24th March 2023, 04:38   #947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
Price difference between the Hyundai all new Verna 6 speed manual transmission and 7 speed DCT automatic transmission is 1.245 Lakh INR, for the same variant.

Let's see what is MSIL's asking price for the 4 speed Torque converter automatic transmission over the 5 speed manual transmission.
They charge 1.2 lakh rupees for 4AT( KB15 engine smart ) in Ciaz.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-screenshot_2023032404333875_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg  

Vulken Auto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 04:44   #948
BHPian

Hope they don't exceed these prices

Zeta manual : 11.49
Zeta Auto : 12.69
Alpha manual : 12.99
Alpha Auto : 14.20

Last edited by Vulken Auto : 24th March 2023 at 05:04.
Vulken Auto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 07:42   #949
BHPian

In pictures of the 3 dr Jimny, it appears that the rear seats fold down to provide a flat floor. However this does not appear to be tye case on the 5 dr version. Is there a false floor on the 3 dr Jimny?
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-images-1.jpeg  

John is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 08:36   #950
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vellatechie View Post
I can't see anyone downgrading from a Thar to Jimny after looking at these pics.

But yes, I think Jimmy will have a much much bigger impact on the offloading culture and awareness about the 4x4 in India.

Speaking as an owner of a Thar and a Gypsy.

It is incorrect to infer that a person moving from a Thar to a Jimny is ‘downgrading’. Because both the vehicles belong to completely different niches and will appeal to different types of people with different types of usage patterns.

As mentioned multiple times here and elsewhere, the Thar is simply fantastic and hugely capable both as an accomplished off roader and as a highway cruiser but it is a heavy and wide vehicle.

The Jimny is equally capable off road but will lack the ‘legs’ for long distance day long cruising. However, it scores with its compact proportions and lighter weight, especially in those narrower hill roads.
shankar.balan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 09:27   #951
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulken Auto View Post

What is the basis for this pricing estimation?

Now we have seen the Jimny physically and understood its physical structure, dimensions, weight, features, space, creature comfort etc. and the level of premium-ness, fit and finish, quality, cost cutting (cost optimisation is a better word).

Why are we projecting a hefty premium of 5~6 lakhs over the dimensionally equivalent Maruti Suzuki Eeco for the ruggedness, 4x4 electro-mechanicals, additional features and the premium of "Jimny" badge! Undoubtedly, Jimny is beautifully engineered true blue SUV with nice touches here and there which we would understand and appreciate once we start using the SUV for its intended service (and not for ferrying 5 persons from point-A to point-B in Urban jungle or Turbocharged zig-zag fun). But that doesn't justify the projected premium for the Jimny.

Since Jimny is not a direct competitor of the Thar (4x4 or RWD); please do not push the price of Jimny to Thar territory. The so-called "road-presence" and usage case make them different and not a direct competitor. I'll pick up Jimny because this is more suitable for my usage in narrow difficult routes in hill states and preference for smaller footprint cars, and not that Jimny is better than Thar for XYZ reasons. Someone looking for earning "Rutba" from the "butch look" of his SUV on Gurgaon/ Chandigarh/ Punjab roads, or wish to push through deep snow like a buldozer would select the Thar. We'll meet somewhere in Spiti and praise each other's vehicle while enjoying piping hot Maggie together!

Jimny and Thar- "mere do anmol ratan" for Indian Automobile market. This is good for our market. The manufacturers now should recognise the AWD void and introduce AWD (electric type AWD mechanism instead of mechanical type) cars in affordable categories (below 2 million INR), offer AT options for them.

Last edited by RijuC : 24th March 2023 at 09:41.
RijuC is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 11:08   #952

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulken Auto View Post

This would surely be on higher side, we would be happy if MSIL launches at so called introductory prices as below :

Zeta manual : 9.99
Zeta Auto : 10.99
Alpha manual : 11.49
Alpha Auto : 12.49

1L price difference between the auto & manual will be justified because it's just 4AT here.
fnftech is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 11:54   #953
BHPian

Quote:
What is the basis for this pricing estimation?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnftech View Post
This would surely be on higher side, we would be happy if MSIL launches at so called introductory prices as below :
I will be happy if they come as introductory prices and doesn't exceed what I have quoted. Can some one suggest best available AT tires in our country for upgrade to 215/70/15
Old 24th March 2023, 12:15   #954
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnftech View Post

Zeta manual : 9.99
Zeta Auto : 10.99
Alpha manual : 11.49
Alpha Auto : 12.49

1L price difference between the auto & manual will be justified because it's just 4AT here.
Even I feel 9.99 figure will be crucial for people outside this forum who currently are not too convinced with the size or actual capabilities of Jimny. If MS already has the strategy of not positioning this as a mass seller and fine with limited numbers then I don't see any reason for them to not price this equal or above RWD Thar.

I for one still can't imagine this as the only car for a family usage. I wish they brought in the 3 door version without loading it with 5 door R&D and materials cost.

Last edited by saurabh041086 : 24th March 2023 at 12:18.
Old 24th March 2023, 12:17   #955
BHPian

Right. So, unable to contain my excitement over my first view of a vehicle I booked almost two months ago, I visited two different showrooms over two days to get my fill of it. The second day (just an hour back) was with my wife and partner in travels in tow. The first day, I was blown away by the looks alone. Today however, niggling doubts began to appear. I’ll list them below, but first, a frame of reference:

I am 184 cms (just a shade above 6’), 80 kilos and visited the dealership in my favourite driving shoes - US 12 Keen Newports. These sandals have a wide footbed but are comfortable all-weather wear, therefore the choice. I’ll add pictures later to better illustrate. I drove up to the dealer in our city runabout WagonR that’s pushing 10 years exactly in near pristine shape. This is the car that the Jimny would replace eventually, if I bite the bullet. Cross-country is dispatched in a VW Virtus GT.
Why a Jimny? Because I’m a die-hard fan of the mountains and till earlier this year, my partner in crime was our trusty Endeavour 3.2 and while the Virtus has enough GC to take me to Leh safely, I’d probably be doing too much butt clenches for my own good, up Khardung La. So that’s the basic background. On with my second day revelations:

1. The cabin is no more wider nor narrower than my last gen WagonR. Period. The all black makes it feel narrower though (wife’s observation).
2. The rear seat bench is narrow and while the smaller frame of my wife had no problem with under-thigh support or knee-room, the WagonR trumps both areas here. Even I had to admit that the humble Waggy would probably fare better over distance in matters of space purely.
3. While on the rear seat, the max recline angle is the normal angle. Any adjustments just puts the backrest to ramrod straight and unusable.
4. The seat cushioning is too spongy. MSIL may have knowingly overcompensated to accommodate the rigid axle ride. But this won’t bode well over 400+ kms of journeying and over the years. Also, seat accommodation overall is fairly miserly, unless you’re built athletically.
5. The view out of the windows is unparalleled. Compact dimensions, large glasshouse and an absolutely flat bonnet makes it easy to judge the car in the tightest situation I’d imagine. An actual drive would tell more. The somewhat cramped quarters is relieved by a low window sill that allows the driver to rest the right elbow on the door edge on a highway.
6. My personal peeve though - the driver’s footwell is EXTREMELY narrow and forced my left knee at an angle into my right that my wife picked up on immediately and commented how uncomfortable I looked. I didn’t want to admit it to begin with, but she’s right. The dead pedal on the auto version is actually making things worse. Never thought I’d say that.

Much more will come to the fore by April, once people are allowed TD’s and maybe some or most of these issues can be resolved in the actual production model. Or maybe not. Will I still buy it? I hope so. But honestly, unless that footwell is sorted, I’d probably kick myself in the ass on a trip to Manali and my wife would have won the round.

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-ce983e2c3657494c8127d05746e3c7a7.jpeg

The shoes. The foot.

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-8dcfc96268f44461adfe2627e66b435b.jpeg

The car. The man.

Last edited by SUVolens : 24th March 2023 at 12:37.
SUVolens is offline   (47) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 12:41   #956
BHPian

My observations about the ergonomic flaws in the interior of the Jimny:

1. Seat cushioning is extremely soft and poor in the front seats. Creases have started appearing on the base of the seats of this display car. Members driving MSIL cars for 1 lakh+ km or 10+ years please comment on this.

Second row seat cushioning is also very soft.

2. Unusual bulge on the left side wall of the central console which prevents a comfortable placement of left leg and foot on the tiny footrest in the AT version. Long drives in AT will cause discomfort.

[Add some additional padding underneath the surface wall carpeting and flatten that bulge; and make the footrest little bigger?]

3. When I set the driver's seat at my maximum comfort level (a little away from the steering and little more reclined), the top edge of the Infotainment screen blocks the left corner and left side bonnet edge view marginally.

I think no. 3 cannot be rectified by MSIL now for the Jimny production line. However, no. 1 and no. 2 must be rectified during actual production of the car. Can our senior T-Bhians having good interface or relationship with MSIL take it up please?

Last edited by RijuC : 24th March 2023 at 12:44.
RijuC is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 12:57   #957
BHPian

Quote:

I think no. 3 cannot be rectified by MSIL now for the Jimny production line. However, no. 1 and no. 2 must be rectified during actual production of the car. Can our senior T-Bhians having good interface or relationship with MSIL take it up please?
Absolutely agree. MSIL needs to get as much constructive feedback as possible before they commit the design to production. It’d be a pity to have to pass up an absolute object of desire based on a few tiny details that could turn out to be deal breakers.

The seat material, the ICE mount position (though, that may already be baked into the moulds for the dash), and above all - that counterproductive dead pedal. Please MSIL 🙏🏼 Don’t let the fans down now.
SUVolens is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 13:02   #958

Meanwhile, I asked ChatGPT about potential price and whether it will succeed in the Indian market. Here's what it had to say:

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-chat_gpt_replies_on_jimny.jpg
trishulpani is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 13:06   #959
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUVolens View Post
visited the dealership in my favourite driving shoes - US 12 Keen Newports.

6. My personal peeve though - the driver’s footwell is EXTREMELY narrow and forced my left knee at an angle into my right that my wife picked up on immediately and commented how uncomfortable I looked.
This must be due to the transmission tunnel and also, engines are being pushed away from the axles towards the cabin these days, to improve comfort and probably safety. It's one of the main reasons, I never got the Wrangler. Even the older "G-Wagon" had similar problems and per knowns, LC-300 also suffers from less cabin space and most importantly, you can barely keep your left leg straight.

But it's strange that you and some others find Wagon R comfortable. I will reserve my own views until I drive/ sit on both. Looking at the pictures looks like the rush is less now at dealerships.

Here's a screenshot from the launch of LC300, might be relevant here too when compared with previous generations.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-screenshot-20230324-1.36.18-pm.png  

Last edited by Turbanator : 24th March 2023 at 13:37.
Turbanator is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 13:41   #960
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post

But it's strange that you and some others find Wagon R comfortable. I will reserve my own views until I drive/ sit on both. Looking at the pictures looks like the rush is less now at dealerships.
The WagonR is comfortable only in relative terms. A person stepping out of an Alto and into the cavernous Waggy will find it comfier. I’d even hazard that a person popping out of the Waggy backseat into the Jimny rear - would miss ‘comforts’. What it is though, is an absolute genius example of use of straight lines to gain useable space. Much like the Jimny. But yeah, you need to try it yourself. The crowds have had enough.
SUVolens is offline   (14) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks