Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2023, 21:39   #31

re: Mahindra responds to YouTuber's fake video on Scorpio-N water leak

If you take a look at the original video posted by Panwar again, you will see some parts of car including seat already wet. Most probably they intentionally opened the sunroof under the waterfall and let the car get ruined. Then it might have struck them to take advantage of the situation and post video as if the car is at fault.

With thousands of ScorpioN on road and most probably faced water from top while cleaning or by rains, why did only Panwar's sunroof leak. Does not look genuine. Mahindra should investigate further.

Last edited by Axe77 : 7th March 2023 at 11:05. Reason: “Yall” deleted.
navneet0909 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 23:58   #32

I sense a deep hatred in this forum towards this particular YouTuber and people like him. I remember the steering wheel connecting rods were replaced by Mahindra for this YouTuber but Mahindra didn’t make any video to prove that no such problem in other cars. Very immature and poor reaction by Mahindra. I have also booked ScorpioN and due for delivery 8 March - 7th April. But I doubt Mahindra will honor it’s promise. Mahindra behaves more as a money fleecing group than fulfilling promises made.

Last edited by Axe77 : 7th March 2023 at 11:04. Reason: Typo.
JG@Nomad is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 02:08   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERSPORT View Post
I don't think this video is fake. But the owner is an idiot. Sunroof has drain holes that drain water collected in the pan. The water enters the pan through the sides and exits through the drain hole. The drain holes are designed in such a way to handle even the most heavy rains. But these drain holes are small, with a diameter of around 1cm max.

Now park the car under a waterfall and there's so much volume of water falling on the roof, more water entering the pan than what can exit through the drain holes. More water coming in than exiting, what happens you know. The excess water starts leaking into the cabin
I beg to disagree. If this was the case, then the ScorpioN in the video reply posted by Mahindra should also have leaked. This is a pure case of manufacturing defect which Mahindra has replied to very immaturishly. Everyone in the forum including the moderators suggest never to buy a first generation Mahindra or a Tata product as they are half baked and our erstwhile Indian manufacturers take us for granted and as guinea pigs. This should actually stop. I am a patriotic person ( one of my car is a Tata) but I am ashamed of the fact that the quality of our Indian manufacturers is below par than even the so called Chinese manufacturers. My own Tata Altroz had water leaking from a non-sunroof car the other day. I still have to get it checked from the service centre, but I knew it was because of dogs eating the antenna’s of all our cars ( dont ask me why, but the plastic antenna’s of all cars in our locality are chewed upon ). I fixed it myself by putting silicone on the edges of the base of the antenna and since then the water hasnt leaked. But my question is, I have two other cars, the antenna’s of which have been chewed and gnawed upon in the exact same way as the Altroz, havent leaked once in the rains, then why with Altroz. It is a small but significant thing which made me rethink my decision of buying cars from Indian manufacturers only. I hate it when someone takes me for granted and I will not let my patriotism come in the way of calling a spade a spade.
I even have relatives who after owning cars like Xuv700 have vowed never to buy a Mahindra car again. Why is this so? I know, to each his own, but this feels a little awkward and bad. I dont want our homegrown manufacturers to be so naive towards quality of manufacturing and it’s time they realise that they are no longer making only the entry level segment cars ( even though i feel they cannot compromise on quality there too).
isldhn is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 05:28   #34
Senior - BHPian

Pray, why would this video from M&M be immature? If people consume such cringe content from the likes of these YouTubers, it’s only appropriate that the same people consume one such from M&M. Crying wolf and expecting red carpet service after doing stupidity isn’t going to get such content creators any further!
jkrishnakj is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 09:21   #35
BHPian

Multiple angles to this incident:
  1. Social Media influencer behaviour - Surely, there appears to be "re-takes" with the clear intention to sensationalize. In a way, it is a sad commentary on the influence of social media on the human psyche, that re-emphasizes the fact on negativity spreading fast and wide. As many concurred in this thread, the YouTuber's purpose has been served.

2. Mahindra's response - One can nitpick, but I liked the understated, but dignified response. No shrill, over the top shouting to prove the point. Their primary responsibility is towards their customers, not towards that particular YouTuber (even though he is one).

3. Quality issues - Hawk-eyed TBHPians had pointed to a potential issue with the lack of proper covering for the speaker. Under the waterfall, or heavy rains, there is a design lesson for Mahindra to take. I hope they address it in their upcoming models (why not in a recall too?). It will leave the customer with peace of mind.

4. Buyer decisions - I am not sure, if this incident has a big impact on buyer decisions. There are 100s of things to decide when investing in a 30L car. Taking it under a waterfall is surely not a decision criteria for me. It may be for few (again, that would be a minority). Facts on the table - M&M cars offer great value prop, aren't devoid of niggles in their initial stages, react to customer feedback and fix them. There are fans for them and will spread the positivity around with their long term ownership experience.
haribalram is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 09:51   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
why would this video from M&M be immature?
Because Mahindra is not in the business of running a Youtube channel for views. They are in the business of manufacturing vehicles, and they should behave like one.

Let's look at it this way.
If not for Mahindra, would I even be talking about that Youtuber here? Absolutely not.
Would I ever spend lakhs of rupees on something produced by the Youtuber? You know the answer.

My point being, such social media response looks good only if something concrete is done to address the issue as well. Here Mahindra has just dismissed the issue altogether, which I don't agree with.
itisK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 10:25   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisK View Post
Because Mahindra is not in the business of running a Youtube channel for views. They are in the business of manufacturing vehicles, and they should behave like one.

My point being, such social media response looks good only if something concrete is done to address the issue as well. Here Mahindra has just dismissed the issue altogether, which I don't agree with.
As already pointed out by few folks here, the youtuber instead of reaching out to M&M service center has gone out and published the video. M&M is just making it clear that the issue is not in general and its sunroof is capable enough to take such huge rush of water on it. No where in video the company says its a response to that youtuber's so called content.

Tomorrow if he gets dysentery he would make a video about it for the sake of content or consult a doctor ?

peace
sulliavi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 10:34   #38
BHPian

Youtuber makes clickbait video.

It does so well that takes a life of its own.

Mahindra competitors rub hands in glee and give it further push on social.

Mainstream press, also starving for views, latches on.

All the ingredients of a PR headache.

You can't counter a viral video with words. It requires an equally compelling visual comeback.

Mahindra sort of tried to do that within the Insta reels framework of a short video. But clearly, it doesn't have the social skills.

So it falls back to a reactive rather than proactive strategy.

Bottomline: It did not Rise to the occasion.

Mahindra should have addressed the problem that the customer faced. IMHO, it would have been better if they filmed a Mahindra engineer checking the problem, honestly diagnosing it and fixing it.

Reminds me of the time when the iPhone 4 antenna didn't work when you gripped it tight. It caused a backlash. Apple did not say "hey it works 99% of the time". They said it's designed by humans and humans make mistakes. And they fixed it. The response made the brand even more iconic.
naru80 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 10:53   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naru80 View Post
Reminds me of the time when the iPhone 4 antenna didn't work when you gripped it tight. It caused a backlash. Apple did not say "hey it works 99% of the time". They said it's designed by humans and humans make mistakes. And they fixed it. The response made the brand even more iconic.
Sorry for the OT:

But are you talking about this? When Steve said don't hold the phone that way or to buy a case?

https://edition.cnn.com/2010/TECH/mo...nse/index.html
deathwalkr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 10:56   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulliavi View Post
No where in video the company says its a response to that Youtuber's so called content.
It certainly is a response to that video. Even this thread is titled as such.

Quote:
Tomorrow if he gets dysentery he would make a video about it for the sake of content or consult a doctor ?
Not an apt comparison at all. Doctors don't manufacture us. Doctors don't guarantee us trouble free ownership of our bodies in general. Doctors are not responsible for ensuring there are no manufacturing defects in our bodies.
I can go on and on.

And yes, that Youtuber is looking for views and publicity. And he didn't follow the proper channels here. But it shouldn't cloud our judgement on this particular issue.

How many posts we read here on daily basis where customers are at the receiving end of the stick from the manufacturers and dealers? Definitely too many to keep a count of. The only reason I even heard of water leakage is because he has a popular YouTube channel, and someone posted it on this forum. So I wouldn't dismiss this issue just because he posted it on YouTube.

Now I'm sounding repetitive here, but I still think it's a genuine issue raised, and should be addressed by Mahindra accordingly. I will wait and hope that happens.
Old 7th March 2023, 11:04   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naru80 View Post
Apple did not say "hey it works 99% of the time". They said it's designed by humans and humans make mistakes. And they fixed it. The response made the brand even more iconic.
Slightly off-topic, but didn't Steve Jobs ask people to hold it differently and sort of deny it to be a real problem initially

Anyway in the Scorpio-N case I would give the benefit of doubt to Mahindra than this YouTuber.

Last edited by LobsterB : 7th March 2023 at 11:20.
LobsterB is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 11:14   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Sorry for the OT:

But are you talking about this? When Steve said don't hold the phone that way or to buy a case?

https://edition.cnn.com/2010/TECH/mo...nse/index.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterB View Post
Slightly off-topic, but didn't Steve Jobs asked people to hold it differently and sort of deny it to be a real problem initially

Anyway in the Scorpio-N case I would give the benefit of doubt to Mahindra than this YouTuber.
It's a crisis response playbook. Up to mods to decide if it's off topic. The full Apple story is here (from Walter Isaacson's Jobs biography):
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra responds to YouTuber's fake video on Scorpio-N water leak-whatsapp-image-20230307-11.07.24-am.jpeg  

Mahindra responds to YouTuber's fake video on Scorpio-N water leak-whatsapp-image-20230307-11.22.28-am.jpeg  

Last edited by naru80 : 7th March 2023 at 11:24.
naru80 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 11:50   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisK View Post
It certainly is a response to that video. Even this thread is titled as such.

Its a response yes, but company doesn't say that. It tries to tell us (including the youtuber) that the issue is particular to that vehicle, bring it to service center and fix it, that's it

And, this tread is not titled by Mahindra.

peace
sulliavi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 12:12   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Its a response yes, but company doesn't say that.
So we should ignore something so obvious, just because company doesn't say it out explicitly?

Quote:
It tries to tell us (including the Youtuber) that the issue is particular to that vehicle, bring it to service center and fix it, that's it
But here, we should assume something that is not being said out loud by the company?

Aren't you contradicting yourself here?

Quote:
And, this tread is not titled by Mahindra.
Sure, Mahindra didn't put this headline up. But to me, such a title on Team-BHP holds more value than how Mahindra decides to spin it. Simply because, here we do not have any personal stakes involved and are discussing both sides of the coin. Whereas anything Mahindra PR says is going to be biased. (as it should be too. It's their job to do so)

I think I have already said all that I had to say on this matter. Logging out from this thread.
Old 7th March 2023, 12:33   #45
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post

This is just a publicity stunt for views and for defaming Mahindra, nothing else!

PS: Please do not share his video, since we’re just helping him mint more and more money.

PS2: I am not a Mahindra Fanboy, rather far from it! But I can’t tolerate such bs either! You can’t go around defaming a product just because you’re some idiot YouTuber who decides he wants more money and be able to sell his ScorpioN to get a Fortuner in the not so distant future.
Absolutely!!!
I've seen many people doing this on YouTube, especially to Mahindra cars.
After spending close to 4.5 years with two different Mahindra cars, I can say that they are built to last!!!

PS:- I may sound like a Mahindra fanboy, but my father is an even bigger fan of the brand.
SID7115 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks