Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2023, 13:00   #46
BHPian

re: Mahindra responds to YouTuber's fake video on Scorpio-N water leak

I think as a forum that's supposedly not biased towards any manufacturers, we should probably avoid catchy headlines like the ones this thread has been bestowed with. I'm pretty sure some bhp-ians would not find it 'classy' and rather dismissive of some real issues of quality and reliability when it comes to these cars. After all, it's been a running theme for this brand and it's first generation products, evidence of which is all around this forum. The Youtuber might be looking for clicks (I don't even know who that is) but Mahindra as a manufacturer needs to be more level headed because it's never been known, yet, for its finesse or craftsmanship on its cars.

As a manufacturer you're more likely to gain the trust of the consumer (both current and prospective) if you engage with them in a proper manner first, and then rubbish their claims if it comes to that, rather than portray your product as something that can never go wrong. More so when reports and experiences of people over years of their struggles with the brand are well documented.
BrakeDancer is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 16:21   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haribalram View Post
[*]Quality issues - Hawk-eyed TBHPians had pointed to a potential issue with the lack of proper covering for the speaker. Under the waterfall, or heavy rains, there is a design lesson for Mahindra to take. I hope they address it in their upcoming models (why not in a recall too?). It will leave the customer with peace of mind.
They started doing it in newer models. Just saw some twitter replies to this Mahindra post asking them to update the speaker cover in older models by a recall. So far Mahindra is simply asking to reach to them but no recall or voluntary calling to provide covers.
Old 7th March 2023, 17:20   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrakeDancer View Post
I think as a forum that's supposedly not biased towards any manufacturers, we should probably avoid catchy headlines like the ones this thread has been bestowed with.
The title is just the opinion of the thread creator. If i had started the thread I would have used dud response instead of classy.

It's got just 10k views on Youtube. On Twitter, the post hasn't even received 700 retweets. And most of the responses seem to be complaints.

Last edited by naru80 : 7th March 2023 at 17:31.
Old 7th March 2023, 17:26   #49

Please, please never ever make this mistake of parking any car under a water fall. I live in malnad region of karnataka and it is a common thing here as rivulets and streams in western ghats create such waterfalls along the roads. Now to the real danger with waterfalls. Stones and debris dislodged in the rivulets are carried by water and many people in our region enjoying a shower below the falls have suffered serious injuries often fatal. Every year in Monsoon season we have such sad stories.
Enviroclan is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 18:20   #50
BHPian

I have been seeing these YouTubers (Arun Panwar, Musafir aka Joshi etc) for quite some time now.

There seems to be a trend running amongst these chaps who earned easy cash through YouTube.

Step 1
.Buy a new car and talk nicely about its features and specifications.

Step 2
.Highlight some defect in it and make a video.

Step 3
.Go to the Showroom and film without permission and when the security intervenes, say on camera that the showroom threatened us.

Step 4
.Badmouth the brand, sell the car after few months and then buy another new car.

Step 5
.Cycle continues.

Wasn't this Arun Panwar fellow the same guy who was thrashed by a Hyundai showroom?

My words are harsh but these people are becoming a nuisance in the society now behaving as if they own the world.
Azalactone is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 18:28   #51
Senior - BHPian

At the risk of being OT;

Never underestimate the power of water. Be it splashing tummy down on a swimming pool, or this:
sarathlal is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 18:52   #52
BHPian

No offence to Hindi speaking guys, but I generally avoid watching reviews in Hindi. Main reason is content is very less, but more of chatter. These kind of videos to sensationalize will create more distrust among the viewers.

YT videos are becoming more like WhatsApp University theories. In any case, few bad apples among many. We just need to segregate and find the good ones.
jaaz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 18:57   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
While I am no fan of Arun Panwar or his ridiculous videos (sometimes outright supid ones like meaningless drag races and tug of wars), what is concerning me is the response of Mahindra on this matter.

Mahindra could have very well done to either point out what exactly went wrong in Arun's Scorpio (and how could that be rectified). Also, Mahindra should have taken the existing and prospective customers into confidence that even after all precautions, if at all such mishappening occurs, they can reach out to Mahindra emergency/roadside assistance (like in case of Arun's car the glass of sunroof got stuck in open position).

But instead Mahindra chose a cringy yet cheap reply. I mean, if you are stooping to the level of these overnight Youtubers yourself, being a Fortune 500 company, and instead of offering solutions and technical explanation of what happened, you opt to do the same cheap stunts these Youtubers do to prove your point, I have nothing more to say.

P.S. Its absolutely and incredibly stupid to get the car showered on a Waterfall ! As insane as getting kids peeping out of sunroof of moving SUVs.
I mean, Elon Musk type replies are all the rage on social media these days. I didn't find it meaningful or in good taste either, but for the sake of argument, let's just say that they've scored one over that defamer with their nonchalance (?!). I don't see any reason as to why they should provide elaborate comments to justify their solid product.

Off topic, but gotta give credit to the Engineering and Design teams at Mahindra. Speaking of Design, I didn't like the "myopic" look of the car before. It grew on me so much that I now fondly look at any passing Scorpio!
Old 7th March 2023, 21:36   #54
BHPian

It would have been a classy reply if Mahindra had responded to the incident with actual data than performing a stunt against a stunt. It may be a stunt by the above said Youtuber and I don't think that the car is designed to take shower in any waterfall. However, the Mahindra's reply looks like they have turned the showering challenge into a marketing strategy. There is nothing in this video other than the usual marketing gimmick the manufactures play in these days. Also, it is hard to accept that the Scorpio that is already produced or going to be produced in future will be having leak-proof sunroof. The manufacture knows the threshold of each components used in their cars and it is a fact that there is a finite value for failure probability for each and every component. Hence, I strongly believe that Mahindra just used the incident with this cheesy video by foreseeing its marketability to reach out to million.

Moreover, just because someone showed a leaking sunroof, the manufacture is not going to loose anything unless the issue is pertinent (The horrible stories of owners who are stuck with faulty cars in this forum did not stop others purchasing the same car ever after reading it). Whereas, if this is a real issue, the customer has already lost his money and his peace of mind.

Last edited by On4Wheels : 7th March 2023 at 22:01. Reason: typo
Old 7th March 2023, 22:00   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by isldhn View Post
I beg to disagree. If this was the case, then the ScorpioN in the video reply posted by Mahindra should also have leaked. This is a pure case of manufacturing defect which Mahindra has replied to very immaturishly.
But is it really a manufacturing defect or did he just leave the sunroof open and then close the plastic shade underneath which is operated by hand? There is no reason to have hidden the actual glass panel of the sunroof unless there was something shady going on. We have already had some sharp eyed observers spot that he had left his passenger window open to increase the amount of water coming in for sensationalism and then slyly close it later on. If he is willing to pull that kind of crooked stunts, it can be safely assumed that he is acting in bad faith and we can't trust that the sunroof was properly closed just from his word.

The way social media algorithms works is that any kind of interaction with an account or post will be counted and that content will be pushed further up in the list of recommendations towards other users who have searched for anything related to Mahindra or sunroofs or Indian cars etc.

This is not just an Indian thing. Many people in other countries too have figured this out and they consider any attention, positive or negative, as a good thing. This why you find so many people doing absolutely stupid things and making outrageous claims that are easily disproven on instagram, youtube, tiktok etc. They want you to criticize them, they want people to talk badly about them or share their videos around even if it is to laugh with your friends about how stupid they are. Any controversy is beneficial to them because it can be used to create 10 more videos with 0 substance crammed full of even more ads so they can earn even more money.

I think Mahindra's response was apt here. They basically gave him 0 attention and did not even speak his name or mention his video. They just let their video do the talking.
Cresterk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 23:10   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azalactone View Post
I have been seeing these YouTubers (Arun Panwar, Musafir aka Joshi etc) for quite some time now.

There seems to be a trend running amongst these chaps who earned easy cash through YouTube.

Step 1
.Buy a new car and talk nicely about its features and specifications.

Step 2
.Highlight some defect in it and make a video.

Step 3
.Go to the Showroom and film without permission and when the security intervenes, say on camera that the showroom threatened us.

Step 4
.Badmouth the brand, sell the car after few months and then buy another new car.

Step 5
.Cycle continues.

Wasn't this Arun Panwar fellow the same guy who was thrashed by a Hyundai showroom?

My words are harsh but these people are becoming a nuisance in the society now behaving as if they own the world.
No your words are never harsh, rather too kind towards such You Tubers who increase their subscribership by demeaning a brand. KUDOS to MAHINDRA is all what I can say.

Such videos should be disliked and channels unsubscribed and reported to Google.

If it was a genuine issue, he should have taken it up with the showroom or Mahindra first before publishing a video.
Adorablejim is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 23:49   #57

Good reply by Mahindra. Don't watch much of these YT reviews, seldom they are useful, certainly no idea about this guy.
I guess one can manufacture rain proof car but making it stupidity proof is another task.
Why would anyone take the car under a water fall? What next, drive it on smouldering lava and say car caught fire and is defective.

Having said this, the quality control wasn't great earlier in Mahindra, my XUV5OO w10 MT(2015 model) had a leak in the wind shield, took several visits to the service centre to figure out the problem, leak would happen only under haevy rain and if the car was parked on a slope, service technician acknowledged that some cars had this issue and all were recalled and fixed, but mine was from a different batch and they saw this the first time.

My next XUV5OO W10 AT 2017 model was perfectly fine.. hope they have improved the quality checks.
Old 8th March 2023, 00:10   #58
BHPian

If the video was fake Mahindra should have filed a police complaint against the maker of the video sighting attempt to tarnish the reputation of the brand rather than posting a butt hurt video in response. Have they done that? Apparently, there is no proof that the video was fake as well? Like others have already pointed out Mahindra's response is immature for the brand value it commands. It has given more attention to the problem than the solution. I don't find anything classy in it. We shouldn't. What if VW posts a video of a working DQ200 tomorrow dissing all those who have suffered from the design flaw. How would we feel then? Please remove the word 'classy' from the title. Lets not make an impression that we are siding with the manufacturer. Let us be unbiased.

Last edited by corvus corax : 8th March 2023 at 00:12.
corvus corax is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2023, 00:44   #59
BHPian

The only reason I don't think the video is fake :-
1) Noone will risk their car en-route to Spiti Valley of all the places.

Social Media works in a sensationalist manner just like any other form of news/TV. It can be argued that this man was doing this for views. However, intentionally letting water run through the car and its electrical circuits in the middle of nowhere with no backup doesn't justify the views or the revenue it can generate.

Mahindra's Response is exemplary as well. I hope they fix his car as well.
Old 8th March 2023, 01:03   #60

It is interesting to see that on the Team BHP site, you just don't get knowledge on cars, but you can also get detailed break up of social media stunts on the cars.

Had the guy known that small details of his gimmicks will be called out on this site, I bet he would have been careful, (or probably blocked BHPians).

Last edited by Axe77 : 8th March 2023 at 16:24. Reason: Spacing and punctuation edits.
_DON_ is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks