Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2023, 04:18   #61
BHPian

re: Mahindra responds to YouTuber's fake video on Scorpio-N water leak

Just came across a very sensible video from Gagan Chaudhary.

IMO, Mahindra shouldn’t have responded with such video. There might be a genuine leak problem with the other car and by looking at the QA process of Mahindra, one cannot deny that such issue might occur.

While I’m totally against such YouTubers who can do anything and everything for views but Mahindra should have responded responsibly.
UP!!!! is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 8th March 2023, 08:10   #62
BHPian

re: Mahindra responds to YouTuber's fake video on Scorpio-N water leak

Slightly off topic but I hope there is a thread that actually discusses about influencers covering the car and bike industry in India. I have been working with influencers for the past one year to promote my company and the lack of knowledge and utter incomprehension of influencers is shocking. All do it for views, and to push up their branding, which is understandable, but they do a disservice to the viewers.

I personally know a few folks who bought a motorbike or car just because of what the influencers pushed for, instead of doing their own research.
no_fear is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th March 2023, 09:41   #63
BHPian

Re: Mahindra responds to YouTuber's fake video on Scorpio-N water leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by UP!!!! View Post
Just came across a very sensible video from Gagan Chaudhary.
Good work from Chaudhary that sums up my view of the matter. Influencers are allowed to do whatever they like, they're not beholden to the carmakers, but it's the responsibility of carmakers to be sensitive to customer issues and demonstrate due diligence in customer service.

By putting out the video they did, Mahindra seemed dismissive of a potentially genuine customer complaint. I don't think any of us would be fine with a carmaker if we complained about transmission issues in a car we bought and they responded by showing us another car they manufactured which doesn't have those issues. Either fix the issue if it's a defect or inform us on what we have done wrong for the issue to arise.

Last edited by Safari Persona : 8th March 2023 at 09:43.
Safari Persona is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th March 2023, 10:41   #64
Senior - BHPian

The problem with short videos is they lack context or background, that is why they should not be taken on face value.

We will never know if the glass beading on Panwar's car had come off due to poor workmanship by Mahindra or abuse by customer. What we do know is some cars can have quality issues and some will not. Similarly, customers wont understand the importance of the rubber sealing and why they should take care of it.

Unfortunately, Mahindra's reply does not help in educating anyone and that is where I feel the response lacked a certain level of class. I can think of Ather responding to a recent incident of their scooter catching fire. That response showed character.

Mahindra's version lacks context as well, I don't know if Mahindra tested the car for leaks before recording their version, I am not sure how much abuse that particular car had taken, I don't know if the rubber beading and drain holes were cleaned as part of usual service over the ownership period. We don't know how their rubber holds up when subjected to varying climate conditions from extreme heat to freezing cold.

What they could have done is made a proper video explaining how things can go wrong, what care needs to be taken, heck, even mention the instructions given in owner's manual, and for everything else that goes wrong, they are present to support the customer.

I am not going to spend more time on this episode. The car is fairly new, the real truth will come out when these Mahindras become a few years old. If majority of them start showing this problem, then I guess we all will know who was wrong
NiInJa is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th March 2023, 12:36   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_fear View Post
I personally know a few folks who bought a motorbike or car just because of what the influencers pushed for, instead of doing their own research.
More than the fame these influencers have entered this space to make money and for many this might be the only source of revenue. So, to be successful financially you need subscribers, views and comments and if you're not the first mover you will loose out to competition. Hence, you see such content or clickbait videos to attract viewership and the deep desire to make them go viral.

Ultimately, one has to do their own research and not get swayed by such influencers which according to me is equal to blindly following people like the infamous self styled godman Ram Rahim Singh.
SnS_12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2023, 17:30   #66
BHPian

Mahindra got scared as Arun Panwar has a huge fan following, about 1.65 million on youtube. But the way mahindra approached to the situation has turned me off. First of all, its a car company not a video making company. Instead of reacting in such a way, they could have investigated the scene as it might be a issue only in his car.

I'm not defending Arun by any means and its truely stupid to keep any car under a waterfall. I'm a bit dissapointed by some bhpians responses as some are giving statements without proper research. NOT only bhpians but youtubers too. The people who are giving their opinion without research are also earning through the videos too. I truly appreciate Gagan sir to do a detailed video with proper research on this topic.
MotorDev is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 8th March 2023, 18:45   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UP!!!! View Post
There might be a genuine leak problem with the other car and by looking at the QA process of Mahindra, one cannot deny that such issue might occur.
It looks like Mr.Arun wasn't the first one to point out sunroof leaks. I found another video from another owner pointing out similar leaks.

Nithesh_M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2023, 20:07   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

I was a silent reader of this thread.
There are many arguments and counter-arguments. No one is wrong with their logic either.

Now let me come to my points-

Whether we should take our car under a waterfall or not.

Well, Mahindra themselves is encouraging to do so!
If you ask me, for fun, I won't take my car under a waterfall, as there maybe be small stones which sometimes come down with the flowing water.
But there are occasions where one needs to drive through a waterfall, as it directly falls on the road.

For eg-
Those who have been to Dzongu, North Sikkim will be familiar with this waterfall. Here, one has no option rather than driving through it.

Mahindra responds to YouTuber's fake video on Scorpio-N water leak-260719229_6788790887859413_7230513102453957819_n.jpg

So, if a person is buying an SUV with the purpose of exploring off-beat places, these types of scenarios may arise.

Every action will have a counter-argument. Today one might drive through a water-logged street and get his car hydro-locked, the next day a company guy can drive through the same depth of water and post a video!
A certain car goes off-road and the rear windshield breaks, the very next day a video is posted by the company on the same obstacle showing that the windshield do not break!
But will that make any sense or solution? No!
These are nothing more than cheap social media stunts. Where is the difference between these Youtubers and Mahindra?

Coming to Arun Panwar, this guy is just another run-of-the-mill Youtuber who can do anything for his content. Now this guy has taken the Scorpio under the waterfall where it was not necessary. But for his job he felt that will fetch some more view, so he went in. Nothing wrong in that!
Mahindra themselves supported his act by posting a similar video the very next day and proves that their vehicle can take such abuses.
But the caption they used - Is that how professionals respond?

C'mon we all know, this does not need any professional! It's a common affair for anyone who is frequent to the hills. Many locals do wash their cars under these waterfalls.

It would have been commendable if Mahindra repairs the same Scorpio N and puts it under the same waterfall and makes a video.

At least if Mahindra wants to say that this video is fake, they should take his car into their service center, check the car thoroughly and provide us an official report. If the video posted is fake or the guy intentionally tampered the sunroof, Mahindra can also sue him in court for defaming their brand. Rather they came out with a cheap publicity stunt!

We are pretty much unclear whether the video is fake or not. It's not yet proven. And before this gets proved by an official report we can't comment whether this particular car is faulty or the video is fake. I have seen few videos where they say, the video is fake by showing those charging cable and what not, and few of the Youtubers supporting Arun Panwar. Honestly am not convinced by any of these videos. I will wait for an official report by unbiased professionals who can check the car thoroughly and come up with a verdict.

Last edited by Samba : 8th March 2023 at 20:19.
Samba is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 8th March 2023, 21:18   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
It looks like Mr.Arun wasn't the first one to point out sunroof leaks. I found another video from another owner pointing out similar leaks.

https://Youtube.com/watch?v=5R0zbtNLu2I?feature=share
This video is not of a Scorpio N but of a XUV 700. The N has circular speaker casing whereas 700 has the square-ish ones as shown in the video. So any claims made by the above video creator should be taken with a pinch of salt as it might have been an attempt to gain some traction for views based on half baked information.

Regards,
Shrey
Shrey1230 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2023, 00:03   #70
BHPian

I sense that there is a deep hatred among forum members for these type of youtubers. I can understand where this hatred stems from but 'Idiot' and 'Stupid' are not the words I feel like something I'd see on team BHP. Yes, this guy may be immature but he's also a kid.

There was no need to take that scorpio under waterfall but if I'd see an alto under it with no damage whatsoever, I would be tempted to take a big daddy under it just for fits and giggles. And Mahindra as a reply, did the exact same thing to boot! It is not a classy or understated reply at all.

Gagan Chaudhary made the best video about this topic highlighting the faults of both Arun and Mahindra. It does not suit an esteemed company like Mahindra to make childish videos intended as reply for these young youtubers.
DriverNo.420 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th March 2023, 07:05   #71
BANNED

In my opinion the rubber seal got dislodged from its position when a person was standing through the sunroof(as is evident in the first part of the video). Usually this persons back would have touched the front seal on the sunroof glass causing it to dislodge. He has then just closed the sunroof without bothering to replace the seal properly and that’s what had caused this catastrophic failure.

I usually advice my friends not to allow anyone to stand through the sunroof because I’ve observed 2 issues (both are a result of undue weight on the sunroof) -
1) The rubber seals getting dislodged
2) The rails getting bent and so the
sunroof doesn’t shut properly.
Old 9th March 2023, 10:38   #72
srh
BHPian

If Mahindra thinks that some entity or person is engaging in fakery and defamation, it is well within its rights to rebut it in any way it deems fit. So I really see no issue if Mahindra makes a video and puts it out. Horses for courses - some errant people may face legal action, some others may be dealt with a video being tweeted, some others may be offered for an inspection at the service center. Point remains that we don't know exactly and in full detail on what has transpired. We seem to be unnecessarily judging. Maybe Panwar has a real issue, maybe he indulged in fakery, maybe Mahindra made a crappy vehicle, maybe Mahindra knows something that they felt the need to respond in the way they did. So unless anyone is brining additional facts to the table, this whole discussion is meaningless.
srh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2023, 12:11   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drlmtukkar View Post

I usually advice my friends not to allow anyone to stand through the sunroof because I’ve observed 2 issues (both are a result of undue weight on the sunroof) -
1) The rubber seals getting dislodged
2) The rails getting bent and so the
sunroof doesn’t shut properly.
Biggest reason is:
It's unsafe and illegal (in a moving vehicle) to do so.
Old 10th March 2023, 22:48   #74
BHPian

This Arun Panwar guy has been at this trend for the past few months. He purchases a car, reviews it, upsells the brand and one fine day, he mysteriously has a problem. He doesn't bother to go to the ASC for resolving the issue but makes a video of it and badmouths the company. Later makes more badmouthing videos and sells the vehicle.

I get that as an influencer he has to make sensible content, not just "Content". Remember the fact that he is an "influencer"; the name itself suggests that some people might be influenced by him and take on a whole new perspective against the company. This type of content has to stop.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 15th March 2023 at 16:38. Reason: Typos
Drivaholic@2727 is offline   (3) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 13th March 2023, 17:36   #75
BHPian

Not sure if this leak episode is the reason but Mahindra has now installed foam paddings, covering a large cavity beside its drain hole in their newer Scorpio N sunroof.

Read here.
Knightrider is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed