Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2013, 16:42   #76
BHPian

Re: 15+ year old cars & Certificate of Fitness (CF)

The fitness for my car is due in mid 2014; is it possible if the same can be done within this year? How much the total expenditure would be if the tout's fees is included?

Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 17:14   #77
Senior - BHPian

@metropolis, RTO offices are changing for the better in many states, partly aided by computerisation. Eg. in Kerala, most things can be requested for online and even the fees paid online and then you go get the job done, without needing any touts. As per Gear-ge below, it looks like this is possible in Delhi too, where you are based. Would suggest you try this out, instead of going via a tout - the least we can do to help throw out the old bribing system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear-ge
I just got my 15 year old Gypsy inspected for fitness in Delhi at the I.P. Estate MLO. An interesting experience, unlike other seedy MLO offices (I refer to Sheikh Sarai for example) there are no touts around. There are no photocopy guys or health certificate issuers. The office is modern and open plan, like a Bank so everything is visible. Did not notice any underhand dealings that may be going on.
Could you please give some details about what you had to do for the vehicle itself and how it's fitness was appraised ? I mean, did you repaint the whole vehicle ? Or if the paint-job was decent, all it needed was some touching-up / polishing ? Trying to understand how we need to prep up the car for this FC.
Old 30th October 2013, 09:46   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
@metropolis, RTO offices are changing for the better in many states, partly aided by computerisation. Eg. in Kerala, most things can be requested for online and even the fees paid online and then you go get the job done, without needing any touts. As per Gear-ge below, it looks like this is possible in Delhi too, where you are based. Would suggest you try this out, instead of going via a tout - the least we can do to help throw out the old bribing system.
Thanks supremeBaleno for the advice; would prefer to go via the right channel anytime
Old 30th October 2013, 09:50   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear-ge View Post
I just got my 15 year old Gypsy inspected for fitness in Delhi at the I.P. Estate MLO. An interesting experience, unlike other seedy MLO offices (I refer to Sheikh Sarai for example) there are no touts around. There are no photocopy guys or health certificate issuers. The office is modern and open plan, like a Bank so everything is visible. Did not notice any underhand dealings that may be going on.

The documents required are (a) old RC in original, (b) Insurance, PUC and proof of residence document all need to be ATTESTED. ( I had to go back the first time as the copies I had were not attested. I got it done by a notary public for 20 bucks per document)

The renewal of Registration fee is Rs.200/- ( I had to pay another fine of Rs.200, as my earlier fitness expired in March) All receipted

In addition I had to pay Rs. 416/- ( rs. 370 plus service tax) to the designated agency for Smart Optical Vehicle Registration Certificate.
Could you please elaborate more; have you gone through the online channel? if yes, please share the link of the same, i need to get this done from Janakpuri authority

Thanks
Old 4th November 2013, 17:53   #80
BHPian

I did not use any online channel, do not think it is available at IP Estate. Cash payments are accepted only between 08:30 and 11:00 in the morning. I just landed up early with my documents, the two inspectors have cubicles. I walked up to one and showed my documents. He checked that they were in order, asked me to go open the bonnet and wait for him to come. He checked the engine bay, looked for the chassis number which he needed embossed on the application form with a pencil. This done, he simply signed the documents and I could go to the counter and make payment.

My vehicle is in great shape, I had got it painted recently and upholstery done on the seats. I believe the extend they go is (1) Start up and revv the engine. (2) Engage gears and move slightly (3) try the brakes do not have too much play (4) the lights all work, including the indicators.

I would guess that if any inspector goes beyond these steps, then everything is not straight-forward and you may have to reach for your wallet.
Old 6th November 2013, 10:06   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear-ge View Post
I did not use any online channel, do not think it is available at IP Estate. Cash payments are accepted only between 08:30 and 11:00 in the morning. I just landed up early with my documents, the two inspectors have cubicles. I walked up to one and showed my documents. He checked that they were in order, asked me to go open the bonnet and wait for him to come. He checked the engine bay, looked for the chassis number which he needed embossed on the application form with a pencil. This done, he simply signed the documents and I could go to the counter and make payment.

My vehicle is in great shape, I had got it painted recently and upholstery done on the seats. I believe the extend they go is (1) Start up and revv the engine. (2) Engage gears and move slightly (3) try the brakes do not have too much play (4) the lights all work, including the indicators.

I would guess that if any inspector goes beyond these steps, then everything is not straight-forward and you may have to reach for your wallet.
Thanks for the info

Few more to clarify:

1. Did you receive the FC the same day?
2. What was the total expense?

Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 10:18   #82
BHPian

FC for a 15 yr old vehicle means you re-register your car. You surrender the old registration and get a new one. This can take up to 30 days since in Delhi now you have the smart card registration. You have to go back to the RTO to collect it. Mine is due end of this month.

The renewal of Registration fee is Rs.200/- ( I had to pay another fine of Rs.200, as my earlier fitness expired in March) All receipted

In addition I had to pay Rs. 416/- ( rs. 370 plus service tax) to the designated agency for Smart Optical Vehicle Registration Certificate.
Old 12th August 2014, 23:39   #83
BHPian

Does the RC expire after 15 years?

I need some views.

My dad passed away a few years ago and we brought his car that was registered in HP down to Bangalore. We did not have the ownership transferred.

It's in an old condition and is nearing the 15 yr mark.

I wanted to check that if we did not have the fitness check done, is the registration cancelled automatically? The reason i am asking this as it will be cheaper for me to give the car up for scrap rather than going through the whole process of getting the fitness checked (which it might not pass) and we're not keen on using it anymore.
Old 13th August 2014, 01:35   #84
BHPian

Re: Does the RC expire after 15 years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderluster View Post
I need some views.

My dad passed away a few years ago and we brought his car that was registered in HP down to Bangalore. We did not have the ownership transferred.

It's in an old condition and is nearing the 15 yr mark.

I wanted to check that if we did not have the fitness check done, is the registration cancelled automatically? The reason i am asking this as it will be cheaper for me to give the car up for scrap rather than going through the whole process of getting the fitness checked (which it might not pass) and we're not keen on using it anymore.
if you dont care much about the car then scraping it is the best option. because you will have to get the fitness done and the vehicle transferred at the RTO of current registration which is in HP and the vehicle needs to be present for inspection. But since its HP and not a proper metropolitan, you may escape from actually taking the car there and instead just get the work done through a tout. Post the renewal you will have to take an NOC and transfer it to bangalore unless you still have an address in HP
Old 7th May 2015, 21:12   #85
BHPian

15+ year old cars & Certificate of Fitness (CF)

My wife got our 15 year old Qualis re-registered today. She just went at 10 to the rto. Struggled a bit as no one to guide but she managed to finish it in about 2-3 hours. She had to go to a computer entry guy who would enter the car details from the F form we will and go. Then go pay fee for this. There they sent her back to the computer idiot as he didn't fill all the detail. After that she went to the road to find the rto inspector. He saw her and asked her to go get the sun film removed and come back. She did that and came back he was checking new autos. When he finished he came and asked her to mark the chassis number on the form and stick the fee in the center of a form and then he signed it. No inspecting fitness or starting vehicle also. She went and handed over the RC, insurance, pollution certificate and form 25. Our RC is laminated but the guy took it anyway without any complaint and asked to come in 4 days!
Total spending is 1000 (green levy or something) and 250 for the fitness certificate or re-registration. 500 for film removal.

Last edited by diyguy : 7th May 2015 at 21:14.
Old 10th May 2015, 14:24   #86
BHPian

We in Delhi are waiting for what befalls us on the 18th. Wish the NGT see's the logic of fitness PUC checks over being age based banning.
Kamal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2015, 14:35   #87
Senior - BHPian

Once the car is re-registered, how long is the FC valid for? This process needs to be done every year or every 5 years?
Old 18th May 2015, 23:23   #88
BHPian

FC in chennai is valid for 5 years
diyguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 10:46   #89
BHPian

Hello team,
have an urgent query: Is it possible to transfer the registration no of car going for scrap to another car in the family? I mean, for instance, if there are two cars in a home and one going for scrap, the registration number of the outgoing car can be transferred to the second car? provided, the original registration no of the second car can be surrendered at its registered authority.
Guys, please help
thanks
Old 22nd September 2016, 15:15   #90
BHPian

I have gone through this thread but could not get clarity on this, if Bangalore guys can help. In March this year, my Ikon registration has completed 15 years. I am planning to renew it. My confusion is what do i need to do? Is it

Fitness certificate? Form KMV20
Renewal of registration certificate? Form No CMV25

Someone who done it recently in KA-51 RTO, please inform how much it costs if done on my own and through an agent?

Thanks.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks